Kawhi Leonard on the NBA detailing his injury, if he can play in back to backs

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

r0drig0lac
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,243

Re: Kawhi Leonard on the NBA detailing his injury, if he can play in back to backs 

Post#21 » by r0drig0lac » Fri Nov 8, 2019 2:39 pm

can someone explain to me why a player who is clearly the best player in the league would run away from b2bgames, losing the chance to get the MVP, if he really could play, what would be the logic behind it?
thebigbird
Head Coach
And1: 19,897

Re: Kawhi Leonard on the NBA detailing his injury, if he can play in back to backs 

Post#22 » by thebigbird » Fri Nov 8, 2019 2:41 pm

Forte IV wrote:
thebigbird wrote:
Forte IV wrote:
Rest days are only ever talked about if its a nationally televised game. Because then people all of a sudden care. Is what it is.

There's a huge difference between sitting out a game here and there for load management and sitting out 20+ games for it. Cmon.

What you described is exactly what Kawhi will be doing lol. Sitting a game out here and there for load management. He'll only miss 13 if he sits out one game every b2b. It's not the Clippers faults they have 3 b2bs in the first month of the season.

Why should we believe that he only is going to sit b2bs? The Clippers have changed their tune multiple times and apparently can't even get their story straight, hence the league fine. If he only sits out b2bs I will be shocked.
manlisten
Junior
And1: 311

Post#23 » by manlisten » Fri Nov 8, 2019 2:43 pm

Forte IV wrote:
manlisten wrote:
Forte IV wrote:
What you described is exactly what Kawhi will be doing lol. Sitting a game out here and there for load management. He'll only miss 13 if he sits out one game every b2b. It's not the Clippers faults they have 3 b2bs in the first month of the season.

If his load management is anything like it was with Toronto, which it almost certainly is, he's going to miss more than 13 games. There were multiple times where he sat out both games of a back to back and as many as 4 consecutive games for rest.

If I remember correctly he had a couple injuries and thats why he sat out the extra games. A twisted ankle and what not. Could be wrong but regardless, the point still stands. People dont say anything about "load management" if a player misses a a non-national TV game. They only care when its nationally televised. Literally the only time it's ever an issue. Then people go about their lives and don't bring it up. It's always been like this.

The reason people care in this case is because the Clippers and Kawhi have consistently been lying about the extent of his injuries. Saying he's healthy and never felt better when he's actually more hurt than he was last year now that he also has a left knee injury. Saying his load management will be a case by case basis when his rest days have already been decided well in advance. Those are the inconsistencies they've been fined for.
Forte IV
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,497

Post#24 » by Forte IV » Fri Nov 8, 2019 2:45 pm

thebigbird wrote:
Forte IV wrote:
thebigbird wrote:There's a huge difference between sitting out a game here and there for load management and sitting out 20+ games for it. Cmon.

Why should we believe that he only is going to sit b2bs? The Clippers have changed their tune multiple times and apparently can't even get their story straight, hence the league fine. If he only sits out b2bs I will be shocked.

I guess we'll have to see then. But regardless, if it gets Kawhi healthy to the playoffs it shouldn't be a big deal at all. Other stars should load manage too. No one wants injuries in the playoffs, but the last 5+ years or so a major star has gone down with an injury either in the playoffs, or close enough to the playoffs where he's out for them. A fully healthy, competitive playoffs is what everyone should want. Not a guy playing in a back to back scenario in November.
If the Clippers win the championship next year I'm getting banned from RealGM
sacking123
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,348

Post#25 » by sacking123 » Fri Nov 8, 2019 2:46 pm

Jabroni Lames wrote:
manlisten wrote:Is it me or does Kawhi come off as very disingenuous in this press conference? Saying it's disappointing because it seems like the NBA wants guys to play when they're not ready. The whole controversy is because Kawhi and the Clippers were acting like he was ready when behind closed doors he was already cleared for a full season of load management. Saying it was "shocking" that the NBA detailed his injury....why is that shocking? If not because your own organization wasn't transparent with the facts? Kawhi's character is really starting to seem questionable to me.

The injury disclosure is only going to get worse (for Kawhi) when NBA betting comes on-line. That's a big revenue stream the NBA is counting on.

I believe KL should be able to play whenever he wants if the Clippers agree to it, however there are repercussions to any player doing it.
You bring up something a lot of people haven’t thought about and that is betting.
Guaranteed there will be strict rules put in place when betting is included, it will be interesting to see how the NBA handles it and if there are revenue losses will the NBA bring forward gambling to compensate?

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
Sacramento Kings
Sydney Kings
nikster
RealGM
And1: 11,763

Post#26 » by nikster » Fri Nov 8, 2019 2:46 pm

dacrusha wrote:Last year no one cared about load management especially after the Raptors won the championship... obviously no one cared at the the time because it was Toronto's 'problem' and also ESPN refused to broadcast Raptors games anyway.

This year all sorts of ESPN fanboys and Lakers fans and Spurs fans are crying over something that is a non-story.

He missed an entire season going into the Raptors year. This year all they've talked about in the off season is about how healthy he is. That's the main difference (also why would Spurs fanboys be mad now and not last year?)
Jabroni Lames
Analyst
And1: 3,852

Post#27 » by Jabroni Lames » Fri Nov 8, 2019 2:46 pm

r0drig0lac wrote:can someone explain to me why a player who is clearly the best player in the league would run away from b2bgames, losing the chance to get the MVP, if he really could play, what would be the logic behind it?

Playing when you're tired hurts your efficiency and averages (PPG, RPG, APG, etc...).
Jabroni Lames
Analyst
And1: 3,852

Post#28 » by Jabroni Lames » Fri Nov 8, 2019 2:50 pm

simonbampfield wrote:
Jabroni Lames wrote:
manlisten wrote:Is it me or does Kawhi come off as very disingenuous in this press conference? Saying it's disappointing because it seems like the NBA wants guys to play when they're not ready. The whole controversy is because Kawhi and the Clippers were acting like he was ready when behind closed doors he was already cleared for a full season of load management. Saying it was "shocking" that the NBA detailed his injury....why is that shocking? If not because your own organization wasn't transparent with the facts? Kawhi's character is really starting to seem questionable to me.

The injury disclosure is only going to get worse (for Kawhi) when NBA betting comes on-line. That's a big revenue stream the NBA is counting on.

I believe KL should be able to play whenever he wants if the Clippers agree to it, however there are repercussions to any player doing it.
You bring up something a lot of people haven’t thought about and that is betting.
Guaranteed there will be strict rules put in place when betting is included, it will be interesting to see how the NBA handles it and if there are revenue losses will the NBA bring forward gambling to compensate?

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app

But Kawhi resting isn't solely a Clippers decision. The NBA has contractual agreements with ESPN/TNT that stipulate something related to player availability... we just aren't privy to those specific terms. That's why this is a sh*tstorm.

The NBA needs to assure ESPN and the betting partners that there is 1000% integrity related to player availability. The reason the NBA is getting ahead of this is because the Clippers are damaging the perception of integrity. Once that trust is broken, that's hard to repair.
thebigbird
Head Coach
And1: 19,897

Post#29 » by thebigbird » Fri Nov 8, 2019 3:00 pm

Forte IV wrote:
thebigbird wrote:
Forte IV wrote:

I guess we'll have to see then. But regardless, if it gets Kawhi healthy to the playoffs it shouldn't be a big deal at all. Other stars should load manage too. No one wants injuries in the playoffs, but the last 5+ years or so a major star has gone down with an injury either in the playoffs, or close enough to the playoffs where he's out for them. A fully healthy, competitive playoffs is what everyone should want. Not a guy playing in a back to back scenario in November.

If LeBron started sitting out games like Kawhi does I would be annoyed because I like watching him play. Sure, I'd like a fully healthy, competitive playoffs as much as the next guy, but I'm not sold on how much load management does to ensure that. Guys can get injured on any given play on any given night.
r0drig0lac
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,243

Post#30 » by r0drig0lac » Fri Nov 8, 2019 3:01 pm

Jabroni Lames wrote:
r0drig0lac wrote:can someone explain to me why a player who is clearly the best player in the league would run away from b2bgames, losing the chance to get the MVP, if he really could play, what would be the logic behind it?

Playing when you're tired hurts your efficiency and averages (PPG, RPG, APG, etc...).

that would not be enough reason to rest, because Kawhi would receive mvp even at lower averages than the current ones, this logic is not strong enough to convince anyone.
Lunartic
Lead Assistant
And1: 9,254

Post#31 » by Lunartic » Fri Nov 8, 2019 4:25 pm

Why is this an issue? The Clippers are the only entity that should care, he is their employee and they have reached an agreement with him as far as his schedule and games played. They pay him. "Fans" can gtfo -- you should be a fan of the team not a player that just arrived a few months ago.

Some player's bodies cannot withstand all 82 games, which is why almost no player in the NBA plays all 82 games. Leonard has never played 82 games even when he was with the Spurs. He's always been injury prone.

What's the worst case scenario here? That Leonard is secretly 100% healthy and just wants a advantage on the rest of the league in terms of rest days? Well guess what? If that is indeed the case, every team can do the same thing.

And if "rest" is the secret weapon and the difference maker between winning a title and losing in the first round, then Leonard is doing the league a favor and drawing attention to the over-long 82 game season and its effect on play.
Slim Charlez
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,448

Post#32 » by Slim Charlez » Fri Nov 8, 2019 4:43 pm

So tired of hearing about this clown. Who cares?! If he plays he plays if he doesn't he doesn't. I mean it's not like the clippers aren't on national TV every other day, if you don't see him one day against the bucks you'll see him a day or two later against the Blazers.
And1+2
Head Coach
And1: 10,391

Post#33 » by And1+2 » Fri Nov 8, 2019 5:04 pm

Family, and "large market" (debatable) not withstanding, Toronto was by far the best spot for Kawhi and his basketball career:

The fans would have been more than understanding about Kawhi's "load management" and the NBA would not have cared. He also would have had a higher chance of winning multiple championships.

Oh well.
Beethoven
Head Coach
And1: 3,805

Post#34 » by Beethoven » Fri Nov 8, 2019 5:06 pm

He's an ass. So glad he is on the clips
Kobe Bryant forever
GO LAKERS
8-)
Perseus1966
Veteran
And1: 1,159

Post#35 » by Perseus1966 » Fri Nov 8, 2019 5:23 pm

Sympathy from the officials ,poor guy plays injured give him 6 ft.
I want RoLo to be my son in law!
snaquille oatmeal
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,763

Post#36 » by snaquille oatmeal » Fri Nov 8, 2019 5:24 pm

So I’m at a point where I have 60 days vacation on the books but if I accumulate any more than that I lose them. I am going to start load managing and take a day off every other week. Go me!!!
Forum permissions