Miami - Minnesota - Golden State

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

drosestruts
General Manager
And1: 3,381

Miami - Minnesota - Golden State 

Post#1 » by drosestruts » Fri Nov 8, 2019 5:50 pm

Trade to be completed Dec. 15th

Miami in: Robert Covington and Jeff Teague
Miami out: Justise Winslow and James Johnson

Minnesota in: D'Angelo Russell and Jacob Evans
Minnesota out: Robert Covington, Jeff Teague and 2020 1st round pick (lottery protected)

Golden State in: Justise Winslow, James Johnson and MIN 2020 1st round pick (lottery protected)
Goldent State out: D'Angelo Russell and Jacob Evans

Miami:

Nunn/Dragic/Teague
Butler/Herro
Covington/Jones Jr
Leonard/Olynk/Robison
Abedayo/Silva

I really like Covington's defense and shooting alongside Miami's starting unit. Believe he's of similar value as Winslow just a different style that fits well in Miami.

Minnesota:

Russell/Napier/Evans
Wiggins/Okogie
Graham/Culver
Layman/Vonleh
KAT/Bell/Dieng

Minny finds another young all star to pair alongside KAT. They tried to get Russell this summer but it didn't work out, they grab him now though to pair alongside KAT with the hope Wiggins or Culver develop into their 3rd star.

Golden State:

Curry/Bowman
Thompson/Poole/Burks
Winslow/GR3
Green/Johnson/Paschall
Looney/WCS/Chriss

Golden State gets what they need - affordable talent. Winslow offsets the top-heavy construction of their roster and Golden State gives the shooting around Winslow he needs to thrive. Could have a death lineup 2.0 with Curry-Thompson-Winslow-Johnson-Green very strong defensively and offensively wiht good defense and playmaking all over the court.
Mamba4Goat
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 7,937

Re: Miami - Minnesota - Golden State 

Post#2 » by Mamba4Goat » Fri Nov 8, 2019 6:16 pm

This trade has been discussed a handful of times, but asking for a 1st is too much. With Russell's slow start it's hard to imagine Minny being interested in giving up Cov too. For Minny though I would love a Winslow/Cov swap.
Rest in peace Mamba. There'll never be another Kobe.
daoneandonly
RealGM
And1: 3,037

Post#3 » by daoneandonly » Fri Nov 8, 2019 7:25 pm

Mamba4Goat wrote:This trade has been discussed a handful of times, but asking for a 1st is too much. With Russell's slow start it's hard to imagine Minny being interested in giving up Cov too. For Minny though I would love a Winslow/Cov swap.

Is Winslow better than Cov? Even if he was, I'd have to assume he's not extra year of James Johnson better.
SmokeyPaw
Starter
And1: 1,163

Post#4 » by SmokeyPaw » Fri Nov 8, 2019 7:35 pm

Winslow >>> Russell, its not close. Wolves would cut GS out. Miami very unlikely to do this. Reaction from wolves likely mixed, but I'd trade for Winslow.
Mamba4Goat
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#5 » by Mamba4Goat » Fri Nov 8, 2019 7:36 pm

daoneandonly wrote:
Mamba4Goat wrote:This trade has been discussed a handful of times, but asking for a 1st is too much. With Russell's slow start it's hard to imagine Minny being interested in giving up Cov too. For Minny though I would love a Winslow/Cov swap.

Is Winslow better than Cov? Even if he was, I'd have to assume he's not extra year of James Johnson better.

Extra year? Batum's deal is just as long. I have Winslow on a similar level with potential figured in.
daoneandonly
RealGM
And1: 3,037

Post#6 » by daoneandonly » Fri Nov 8, 2019 7:38 pm

Mamba4Goat wrote:
daoneandonly wrote:

Extra year? Batum's deal is just as long. I have Winslow on a similar level with potential figured in.

Batum? Well i just meant in the OP, Miami is exchanging WInslow for Cov, and then getting Teague for Johnson. I'm thinking thats the piece where something is missing as it favors the Heat
Mamba4Goat
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#7 » by Mamba4Goat » Fri Nov 8, 2019 7:53 pm

daoneandonly wrote:
Mamba4Goat wrote:
daoneandonly wrote:

Batum? Well i just meant in the OP, Miami is exchanging WInslow for Cov, and then getting Teague for Johnson. I'm thinking thats the piece where something is missing as it favors the Heat

I got this confused with a different trade. :lol:

I'm still not sure if they do it. They really like their guys.
giberish
RealGM
And1: 5,837

Post#8 » by giberish » Fri Nov 8, 2019 8:23 pm

SmokeyPaw wrote:Winslow >>> Russell, its not close. Wolves would cut GS out. Miami very unlikely to do this. Reaction from wolves likely mixed, but I'd trade for Winslow.

And if Minny was willing to do this then GS would cut out Miami so they don't have to pay luxury taxes on Johnson's contract next season.
BBallFreak
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 16,207

Post#9 » by BBallFreak » Fri Nov 8, 2019 10:34 pm

Mamba4Goat wrote:
daoneandonly wrote:
Mamba4Goat wrote:Extra year? Batum's deal is just as long. I have Winslow on a similar level with potential figured in.

I got this confused with a different trade. :lol:

I'm still not sure if they do it. They really like their guys.

Kinda seems like Cov and Winslow are pretty similar players. Cov shoots better, Winslow handles better.

We also have very little use for Teague while JJ fills a definite role.

I’m just not seeing a huge benefit for Miami other than getting out of JJ early which we don’t really want to do
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,605

Post#10 » by shrink » Sat Nov 9, 2019 1:21 pm

BBallFreak wrote:Kinda seems like Cov and Winslow are pretty similar players. Cov shoots better, Winslow handles better.

.. and Covington was named first team, All Defense in 2018.

Still, a swap of these two players has some legs. The ages make sense, and with Jimmy and Covington, the Heat’s defense would be stifling. MIA is more win-now for this season, and the extra years for these two would look good for the next few years. I’m still not sure who Winslow will become, but he’s more intriguing than most of the players offered up in MIN trades.

The issue for me is that didn’t the Wolves just draft Culver for a Winslow-like role? A bigger guy that can kind of pass, but works hard defensively and can switch 1-3 or 4? Or maybe I’m just seeing similarities where there are greater differences.
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
BBallFreak
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#11 » by BBallFreak » Sat Nov 9, 2019 1:48 pm

shrink wrote:
BBallFreak wrote:Kinda seems like Cov and Winslow are pretty similar players. Cov shoots better, Winslow handles better.

Still, a swap of these two players has some legs. The ages make sense, and with Jimmy and Covington, the Heat’s defense would be stifling. MIA is more win-now for this season, and the extra years for these two would look good for the next few years. I’m still not sure who Winslow will become, but he’s more intriguing than most of the players offered up in MIN trades.

The issue for me is that didn’t the Wolves just draft Culver for a Winslow-like role? A bigger guy that can kind of pass, but works hard defensively and can switch 1-3 or 4? Or maybe I’m just seeing similarities where there are greater differences.

You do realize that Winslow is an incredible defender himself, right? We're getting older for the sake of getting older....

Why?
shrink
RealGM

Post#12 » by shrink » Sat Nov 9, 2019 2:28 pm

BBallFreak wrote:
shrink wrote:

You do realize that Winslow is an incredible defender himself, right? We're getting older for the sake of getting older....

Why?

I know Winslow is a very good defender, but he’s never made first or even second team, All Defense. If you think the rest of their game is a toss up, Covington’s elite defense gives him the nod for a win-now team.

As for age, they both have similar contracts with three cheap years. Over that timeline, the question would be who’d be a better fit. Maybe Winslow improves, and passes RoCo (which might intrigue MIN) but perhaps RoCo gives MIA a better chance this year and next (which might intrigue MIA). In other words, you’re getting older for the sake of getting better. Whether the “better,” is worth it for MIA, I don’t know.
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
BBallFreak
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#13 » by BBallFreak » Sat Nov 9, 2019 2:52 pm

shrink wrote:
BBallFreak wrote:
shrink wrote:.. and Covington was named first team, All Defense in 2018.

Why?

I know Winslow is a very good defender, but he’s never made first or even second team, All Defense. If you think the rest of their game is a toss up, Covington’s elite defense gives him the nod for a win-now team.

As for age, they both have similar contracts with three cheap years. Over that timeline, the question would be who’d be a better fit. Maybe Winslow improves, and passes RoCo (which might intrigue MIN) but perhaps RoCo gives MIA a better chance this year and next (which might intrigue MIA). In other words, you’re getting older for the sake of getting better. Whether the “better,” is worth it for MIA, I don’t know.

Oh well, if he's on an all defense team, he must be worlds better. Those things are always above reproach.
shrink
RealGM

Post#14 » by shrink » Sat Nov 9, 2019 3:26 pm

BBallFreak wrote:
shrink wrote:
BBallFreak wrote:You do realize that Winslow is an incredible defender himself, right? We're getting older for the sake of getting older....

Why?

Oh well, if he's on an all defense team, he must be worlds better. Those things are always above reproach.

Well, I think it’s even harder for a non-star like Covington to get this kind of recognition. But if want the stats ..

He had just finished the season third in DRPM for all NBA players, and was fourth the year before. For reference, Winslow comes in around 50. Still good with 450 players in the NBA. Def WS and DEf Rtg tell the same story. Last year was closer, but as you recall, RoCo only played half as many games with injuries.

In any event, RoCo didn’t get this award from some popularity contest.
Coxy
RealGM
And1: 14,661

Post#15 » by Coxy » Sat Nov 9, 2019 8:09 pm

No thanks, not breaking down DLo unless a clear upgrade player to him is coming back.

Return to Trades and Transactions