Woj bomb: Wiseman ineligible for the 2020 season

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

brutalitops
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,164

Re: Woj bomb: Wiseman ineligible for the 2020 season 

Post#61 » by brutalitops » Sat Nov 9, 2019 1:29 am

More then happy to see him come to the NBL.
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 3,976

Post#62 » by VCfor3 » Sat Nov 9, 2019 1:36 am

Local sports column on the situation: https://www.commercialappeal.com/story/sports/college/memphis-tigers/basketball/2019/11/08/james-wiseman-ineligible-memphis-tigers-basketball-ncaa/2513758001/

But Wiseman was cleared by the NCAA in the end of May. Wiseman moving to Memphis and playing for his AAU coach was known by everyone and was before Penny even sniffed the Memphis coaching position. He was just helping his player move closer to his sister (granted it was a move that significantly benefited Penny as well). Penny and Wiseman had to be cleared by the TSSAA before Wiseman could play for him in high school and they were cleared with no issues. Then as the season starts the NCAA says "jk not eligible" which really messes Wiseman up if it sticks. Memphis was able to get a temporary hold on the ruling and the court date is set for Nov 18th which will allow him to play against Oregon. Unfortunately if Memphis loses the appeal and Wiseman is indeed ineligible then they will forfeit the games he played in including the current game tonight.

The whole situation is dumb. I think Wiseman will ultimately have his ineligibility upheld which sucks. But hey, there is always Australia!
Read on Twitter
NBAFan93
RealGM
And1: 14,221

Post#63 » by NBAFan93 » Sat Nov 9, 2019 2:05 am

VCfor3 wrote:Local sports column on the situation: https://www.commercialappeal.com/story/sports/college/memphis-tigers/basketball/2019/11/08/james-wiseman-ineligible-memphis-tigers-basketball-ncaa/2513758001/

But Wiseman was cleared by the NCAA in the end of May. Wiseman moving to Memphis and playing for his AAU coach was known by everyone and was before Penny even sniffed the Memphis coaching position. He was just helping his player move closer to his sister (granted it was a move that significantly benefited Penny as well). Penny and Wiseman had to be cleared by the TSSAA before Wiseman could play for him in high school and they were cleared with no issues. Then as the season starts the NCAA says "jk not eligible" which really messes Wiseman up if it sticks. Memphis was able to get a temporary hold on the ruling and the court date is set for Nov 18th which will allow him to play against Oregon. Unfortunately if Memphis loses the appeal and Wiseman is indeed ineligible then they will forfeit the games he played in including the current game tonight.

The whole situation is dumb. I think Wiseman will ultimately have his ineligibility upheld which sucks. But hey, there is always Australia!
Read on Twitter

Honestly man, it’s not a reach to see the reasons why that would be illegal under the recruiting rules. Even if this happened on a larger scale in the NBA in regards to a FA, fans of opposing teams would be upset.

Person does a huge favor for a soon to be FA athlete before they are part of a FO, little later person is hired by the FO of a team for a lucrative position, athlete signs w/ that team as a FA. That’s what happened here, and if this guy is really that good, you got to wonder if the relationship and favors he had due.to Penny is a reason Penny got the coaching job - how much is his salary?

Not the first time Memphis has done shady stuff either. I guess if this getting paid for your likeness stuff happens you’d hope to see less of this shady crap cause maybe parents will wise up and stop taking handouts that risk their kids eligibility (of course that will only work if the legit money is significantly greater than the shady money). I guess if the kid would have chose another school though none of this would matter, right?
Jakay
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,928

Re: Woj bomb: Wiseman ineligible for the 2020 draft 

Post#64 » by Jakay » Sat Nov 9, 2019 2:17 am

Vampirate wrote:Was this wise?

Man.
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 3,976

Post#65 » by VCfor3 » Sat Nov 9, 2019 2:18 am

NBAFan93 wrote:
VCfor3 wrote:Local sports column on the situation: https://www.commercialappeal.com/story/sports/college/memphis-tigers/basketball/2019/11/08/james-wiseman-ineligible-memphis-tigers-basketball-ncaa/2513758001/

Read on Twitter

Honestly man, it’s not a reach to see the reasons why that would be illegal under the recruiting rules. Even if this happened on a larger scale in the NBA in regards to a FA, fans of opposing teams would be upset.

Person does a huge favor for a soon to be FA athlete before they are part of a FO, little later person is hired by the FO of a team for a lucrative position, athlete signs w/ that team as a FA. That’s what happened here, and if this guy is really that good, you got to wonder if the relationship and favors he had due.to Penny is a reason Penny got the coaching job - how much is his salary?

Not the first time Memphis has done shady stuff either. I guess if this getting paid for your likeness stuff happens you’d hope to see less of this shady crap cause maybe parents will wise up and stop taking handouts that risk their kids eligibility (of course that will only work if the legit money is significantly greater than the shady money). I guess if the kid would have chose another school though none of this would matter, right?

That's why I think it will be upheld. I get why it is questionable, but it really sucks that Wiseman was cleared and told he was eligible and then had it changed on him as the season started.
And1+2
Head Coach
And1: 10,407

Post#66 » by And1+2 » Sat Nov 9, 2019 2:37 am

NCAA slowly but surely digging their own grave.
Zenzibar
General Manager
And1: 8,284

Post#67 » by Zenzibar » Sat Nov 9, 2019 2:45 am

This is a travesty to take a young man's ability to make a living based on his skills. Wiseman and the NBAPA has a chance to take the NCAA and their money grab down.
Wiseman should just sue to declare himself a free agent, no draft, no controls.
DaPessimist
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,495

Post#68 » by DaPessimist » Sat Nov 9, 2019 2:47 am

If I'm the NBA I throw 500k at this guy to play in the G-League for a season. It's time they try to take their Minor League system to the next level.
NBAFan93
RealGM

Post#69 » by NBAFan93 » Sat Nov 9, 2019 2:50 am

VCfor3 wrote:
NBAFan93 wrote:

Read on Twitter

That's why I think it will be upheld. I get why it is questionable, but it really sucks that Wiseman was cleared and told he was eligible and then had it changed on him as the season started.

Yeah it does suck for him. Had he known the NCAA would do this in advance, he could have just picked a different school - one that didn’t have a coach that payed his family’s moving expenses and thus no conflict/violation and he could play.

Wonder why the NCAA is just ruling this way now? Wonder if new info came out or something?
jacoby1us
General Manager
And1: 1,605

Post#70 » by jacoby1us » Sat Nov 9, 2019 2:51 am

So was it 2018 or 2008?
#TREADMILLCLUBFAN
Dr Aki
RealGM
And1: 29,269

Post#71 » by Dr Aki » Sat Nov 9, 2019 2:52 am

come to australia
NBAFan93
RealGM

Post#72 » by NBAFan93 » Sat Nov 9, 2019 2:54 am

Zenzibar wrote:This is a travesty to take a young man's ability to make a living based on his skills. Wiseman and the NBAPA has a chance to take the NCAA and their money grab down.
Wiseman should just sue to declare himself a free agent, no draft, no controls.

I think the fair thing - assuming the NBA won’t end one and done tomorrow (cause that’s what’s preventing him from joining the NBA - the NBA’s rule, not the NCAA) - would be to allow him to go play for another college that isn’t Memphis.
NBAFan93
RealGM

Post#73 » by NBAFan93 » Sat Nov 9, 2019 2:55 am

jacoby1us wrote:So was it 2018 or 2008?

It was in 2018.
jacoby1us
General Manager
And1: 1,605

Post#74 » by jacoby1us » Sat Nov 9, 2019 2:57 am

So how is Hardaway still allowed to coach?
#TREADMILLCLUBFAN
azcatz11
RealGM
And1: 26,126

Post#75 » by azcatz11 » Sat Nov 9, 2019 2:58 am

DaPessimist wrote:If I'm the NBA I throw 500k at this guy to play in the G-League for a season. It's time they try to take their Minor League system to the next level.

You're looking at this the wrong way. People will not pay to watch top prospects on random G League teams. The NCAA has such an inherent advantage in this regard - they're paying to watch their favorite teams and alma maters. The G league teams are in horrible markets anyways
azcatz11
RealGM
And1: 26,126

Post#76 » by azcatz11 » Sat Nov 9, 2019 3:01 am

jacoby1us wrote:So how is Hardaway still allowed to coach?

How is Sean Miller allowed to coach? His top assistant is going to serve 2 years in prison because he took the hit and will get paid from whoever. It's kind of gross tbh
Crizzle
Rookie
And1: 1,004

Post#77 » by Crizzle » Sat Nov 9, 2019 3:05 am

NBAFan93 wrote:

Read on Twitter

Are you suggesting Penny was in need of money?
NBAFan93
RealGM

Post#78 » by NBAFan93 » Sat Nov 9, 2019 3:08 am

Crizzle wrote:
NBAFan93 wrote:

Read on Twitter

Are you suggesting Penny was in need of money?

I’m suggesting that there is a possibility he got his job, which I’m sure is paying him at least a couple million, because someone knew he could deliver this kid to Memphis. This guy is really good?, right? If so, the optics are not good.
LakersLegacy
Head Coach
And1: 3,869

Post#79 » by LakersLegacy » Sat Nov 9, 2019 3:16 am

Is Penny still allowed to coach??
GreatWhiteStiff
RealGM
And1: 12,413

Post#80 » by GreatWhiteStiff » Sat Nov 9, 2019 3:26 am

NCAA is ****. I like how they create these situations where Theirecruiters/Their boosters/Their coaches for THEIR schools are incentivated to offer young men (arguably) inappropriate bribes, and then punish the athlete. This corruption has been going on in their organisation for a while, its systemic, and the athletes are taking the blame/hits.

Let's playin for 9th!

"OG puts the clamps on point guards like Trae Young." -DelAbbot

Return to The General Board