Mavs looking legit

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

Will the Mavs make the 2020 playoffs?

Yes, Mavs will make the playoffs
68%
No, Mavs will not make the playoffs
15%
I'm not sure if the Mavs will make the playoffs
17%

Total votes: 356

Pinkyring
RealGM
And1: 6,327

Re: Mavs looking legit 

Post#121 » by Pinkyring » Fri Nov 8, 2019 3:31 am

ZB9 wrote:
Mr B wrote:
ZB9 wrote:
Heck no on Tristan Thompson. Maxi is a better shot blocker and can switch onto perimeter players if he needs to. and of course Maxi can shoot. One of the things that makes this Mavs offense so dangerous is the fact that every player on the floor can hit threes (even Boban). Tristan Thompson cannot shoot.

I dont know why yall are acting like their interior defense is a problem. The Mavs have one of the best interior defenses in the league.

They need a stronger defender in the paint though and they need a stronger rebounder next to KP. Maxi great but he’s not a strong rebounder. He’s not strong enough to push guys around. Boban is capable but he plays on restricted minutes. A guy like Thompson would bring the interior D/rebounding and would also bring a little attitude to the Mavs. Him playing next to KP’s shot blocking ability and their interior defense and rebounding would be much better. That is going to be needed if they do happen to make the playoffs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I disagree man. The Mavs interior defense has not been a problem thus far and I doubt it will be. It has actually been a strength for them, not a weakness.

Thompson is a poor man's Erik Dampier and there is no way that they will give up anything to trade for him. Thompson doesn't fit what the team wants to do on offense. He cant shoot threes, he's not a threat in the screen and roll game...and Thompson is certainly not strong enough on D to compensate for his offensive limitations.

imho

Did you miss the pelicans game? Our interior defense is trash and maxi isn't a shooter at all 33% doesn't qualify as can shoot, nobody fears his shooting
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 3,957

Post#122 » by Mr B » Fri Nov 8, 2019 5:34 am

Pinkyring wrote:
ZB9 wrote:
Mr B wrote:
They need a stronger defender in the paint though and they need a stronger rebounder next to KP. Maxi great but he’s not a strong rebounder. He’s not strong enough to push guys around. Boban is capable but he plays on restricted minutes. A guy like Thompson would bring the interior D/rebounding and would also bring a little attitude to the Mavs. Him playing next to KP’s shot blocking ability and their interior defense and rebounding would be much better. That is going to be needed if they do happen to make the playoffs.

I disagree man. The Mavs interior defense has not been a problem thus far and I doubt it will be. It has actually been a strength for them, not a weakness.

Thompson is a poor man's Erik Dampier and there is no way that they will give up anything to trade for him. Thompson doesn't fit what the team wants to do on offense. He cant shoot threes, he's not a threat in the screen and roll game...and Thompson is certainly not strong enough on D to compensate for his offensive limitations.

imho

Did you miss the pelicans game? Our interior defense is trash and maxi isn't a shooter at all 33% doesn't qualify as can shoot, nobody fears his shooting

Exactly, and also look at the bugs in the West. They need someone with girth that can go in and put a body on Jokic, AD, Gobert, Howard, Nurkic, and Adams. Right now there is no one on the Mavs roster that wouldn’t get pushed around by these guys except Boban. And you can’t expect Boban to play more than 25 min a game max. These are all guys they will likely see in the playoffs when we’re the game does slow down some. The Mavs are going to need someone who can rebound and play interior defense. Right now Luka is their best rebounder and if they want to save some wear and tear on his body they need another big to play next to KP. Maxi and Powell are great when they are coming off the bench.

Dundalis
Senior
And1: 543

Post#123 » by Dundalis » Fri Nov 8, 2019 11:15 am

Perseus1966 wrote:
Archx wrote:
Perseus1966 wrote:I watched 2-3 games ,team is playing better when luka is out,but he is a good scorer

Not even sure if serious or just trolling... :noway:

I am not trolling he is a good scorer

Um, except his best attribute is his passing, not his scoring. And by a good margin.
Mr B wrote:
ZB9 wrote:
Mr B wrote:
I do also think they need some beef in the paint. I’d like to see them make a move at the deadline to fix that weakness. Tristan Thompson is a guy I’d like to see in Dallas.

Heck no on Tristan Thompson. Maxi is a better shot blocker and can switch onto perimeter players if he needs to. and of course Maxi can shoot. One of the things that makes this Mavs offense so dangerous is the fact that every player on the floor can hit threes (even Boban). Tristan Thompson cannot shoot.

I dont know why yall are acting like their interior defense is a problem. The Mavs have one of the best interior defenses in the league.

The do need it. They do NOT absolutely require it though. Most teams do not have a paint banger who is going to cause significant issues for us defensively. Rebounding has not been an issue, or cost us games. Maxi THIS season has been a very good rebounder, you havent been paying much attention. He's improved a lot in that area. Boban is capable and is more than capable of playing more minutes in the minority of games where we need to combat a very strong interior presence. Thompson would bring what you say, but our number 1 offensive efficiency is going down the toilet as he kills our spacing. This toughness attitude thing is way overblown. It's pure smoke. Guys like Thompson and Adams hinder more than help IMO, especially when you actually get to the playoffs and spacing is even more at a premium.

lilfishi22 wrote:Luka is playing at an MVP level early in the season when he's still fresh but depth and defense is still going to be an issue. Roster depth is what will carry a team through tough stretches of the season when your star players are bogged down from high minutes played, injuries occur and when motivation isn't at its highest which is something we see with many teams in the middle of the season.

I'm just not sure you can rely on Luka and Zinger playing at an elite level throughout the season without a deep roster to balance the load. Mavs have a great coach, a solid system and an elite player in Luka but it might be too much to ask of Luka to carry this team in the loaded West. That's really my main concern with the Mavs

The Mavs have arguably the best bench in the NBA by many metrics. Depth is a STRENGTH of the team not a weakness. Quality, proven starters around KP and Luka is the problem. The supporting cast beat Denver when Luka and KP were absolutely terrible. The bench carried the team, not Luka.

Pinkyring wrote:
ZB9 wrote:
Mr B wrote:

imho

Maxi shot 35% from 3 last season which is perfectly respectable. Way to cherry pick the small sample size to both crap on Maxi's spacing ability and trash our interior defense by looking at one single game.

Our rim protection on help defense is elite. Our man on man defense in the paint is poor. Again, you bring in a guy who can solve that issue with the likes of Thompson or Adams, you offset it by reducing our offensive efficiency. No thanks. Give me another high level perimeter defender to help our defense instead.
jpengland
Head Coach
And1: 6,540

Post#124 » by jpengland » Fri Nov 8, 2019 11:24 am

Dundalis wrote:
Perseus1966 wrote:
Archx wrote:

Um, except his best attribute is his passing, not his scoring. And by a good margin.
Mr B wrote:
ZB9 wrote:

The do need it. They do NOT absolutely require it though. Most teams do not have a paint banger who is going to cause significant issues for us defensively. Rebounding has not been an issue, or cost us games. Maxi THIS season has been a very good rebounder, you havent been paying much attention. He's improved a lot in that area. Boban is capable and is more than capable of playing more minutes in the minority of games where we need to combat a very strong interior presence. Thompson would bring what you say, but our number 1 offensive efficiency is going down the toilet as he kills our spacing. This toughness attitude thing is way overblown. It's pure smoke. Guys like Thompson and Adams hinder more than help IMO, especially when you actually get to the playoffs and spacing is even more at a premium.

lilfishi22 wrote:Luka is playing at an MVP level early in the season when he's still fresh but depth and defense is still going to be an issue. Roster depth is what will carry a team through tough stretches of the season when your star players are bogged down from high minutes played, injuries occur and when motivation isn't at its highest which is something we see with many teams in the middle of the season.

I'm just not sure you can rely on Luka and Zinger playing at an elite level throughout the season without a deep roster to balance the load. Mavs have a great coach, a solid system and an elite player in Luka but it might be too much to ask of Luka to carry this team in the loaded West. That's really my main concern with the Mavs

The Mavs have arguably the best bench in the NBA by many metrics. Depth is a STRENGTH of the team not a weakness. Quality, proven starters around KP and Luka is the problem. The supporting cast beat Denver when Luka and KP were absolutely terrible. The bench carried the team, not Luka.

Pinkyring wrote:
ZB9 wrote:

imho

Maxi shot 35% from 3 last season which is perfectly respectable. Way to cherry pick the small sample size to both crap on Maxi's spacing ability and trash our interior defense by looking at one single game.

Our rim protection on help defense is elite. Our man on man defense in the paint is poor. Again, you bring in a guy who can solve that issue with the likes of Thompson or Adams, you offset it by reducing our offensive efficiency. No thanks. Give me another high level perimeter defender to help our defense instead.

This x1000

Putting a lane clogger on the floor next to KP just makes his skillet redundant.

We need more dynamic wing play, better wing defense and even more shooting.

KP is a C. He's an outstanding rim protector and that's where he should be.

Kleber is the perfect fit next to him, although it would be great if he improved that tiny bit.
Pinkyring
RealGM

Post#125 » by Pinkyring » Fri Nov 8, 2019 1:27 pm

Dundalis wrote:
Perseus1966 wrote:
Archx wrote:

Mr B wrote:
ZB9 wrote:

Pinkyring wrote:
ZB9 wrote:

imho

It isn't cherry picking for maxi, he is shooting 33% for his career, that's what he is, he isnt a floor spacer as nobody guards him out that anyway, yes our post d suxks as does our perimeter d, we need major upgrades, this is still a lottery team and wins against bad teams doesnt change that
ZB9
Sixth Man
And1: 696

Post#126 » by ZB9 » Fri Nov 8, 2019 3:34 pm

Pinkyring wrote:
ZB9 wrote:
Mr B wrote:

imho

What does Thompson shoot from 3?

Teams have to cover Maxi on the perimeter or he will hit 3s on them, like he did against Orlando.
inquisitive
RealGM
And1: 2,838

Post#127 » by inquisitive » Fri Nov 8, 2019 3:42 pm

Will make playoffs
KARD "You n Me " Mnet Countdown
www.youtube.com/watch?v=77b3zg3OhgI
Mr B
RealGM

Post#128 » by Mr B » Fri Nov 8, 2019 5:18 pm

Dundalis wrote:
Perseus1966 wrote:
Archx wrote:

Mr B wrote:
ZB9 wrote:

Pinkyring wrote:
ZB9 wrote:

imho

Rebounding hasn’t been an issue for the Mavs because they haven’t faced a really strong rebounding team yet. Carlisle was just talking about this yesterday, that they need to step up their rebounding as a whole because they have really strong rebounding teams coming up. As for Kleber, I’ve watched ever game this season and I do like Kleber, as a bench player. You say he’s improved, and he has slightly but he’s averaging over 27 min a game and still only getting 7 boards a game. That’s pathetic from your starting center. And we ALL know Powell isn’t going to come in an dominants the boards. The team should not have to rely on Luka to be their best rebounder night in and night out. One of the bigs should be handling that duty. As for Thompson or Adams being a lane clogger and the efficiency going down... do you mean like Deandre Jordan at the beginning of last year? He was a dominant rebounder and Luka was flourishing. There is no mistake that adding Thompson or Adams would be a definite upgrade in talent over Maxi or Powell. Luka is smart enough to make those guys work in this system.

Mr B
RealGM

Post#129 » by Mr B » Fri Nov 8, 2019 5:22 pm

ZB9 wrote:
Pinkyring wrote:
ZB9 wrote:

imho

What does Thompson shoot from 3?

Teams have to cover Maxi on the perimeter or he will hit 3s on them, like he did against Orlando.

What does this have to do with anything when his primary responsibility will be to attack the boards and play defense against the elite bigs? But to answer your question Thompson is averaging .333 from beyond the arch this year. Basically the same as Kleber. The difference is he’s also averaging almost 12 rebounds per game.

HotRocks34
RealGM
And1: 17,578

Post#130 » by HotRocks34 » Sat Nov 9, 2019 2:56 am

Watching the Knicks game tonight (Knicks up 4 at the break) and it reminds me a lot of the Magic game.

As good and skilled as the Mavs are, they are susceptible to being "punked" by teams at times. Dallas could use another athlete with size (someone like Morris or Randle or Portis) who also has a tough-guy mentality. The Mavs could use a bit more goon to them.

They don't have that, and sometimes it lets outmatched-in-skill teams feel very comfortable playing the Mavs. I'm not dissing the Magic or the Knicks here, either. This is a Mavs issue. The Magic and Knicks are doing what they should do in the situation.

Basically, the Mavs need to get a little bit tougher. Especially on defense. Teams are going to come at them, challenge them, and they have to be ready for that.

Still a work in progress, both in terms of mentality and personnel.
** Embiid is the only MVP in NBA history to never make a conference final
** Philly won multiple playoff games without MVP Embiid, including a 2nd-round game on the road
** LeBron missed the playoffs with Davis
** Steph missed the playoffs without Klay
Lalouie
RealGM
And1: 10,010

Post#131 » by Lalouie » Sat Nov 9, 2019 4:05 am

they lost to nyk tonight.
doncic and kp combined for 66points and the rest of the starters totaled 6
UNBELIEVABLY SAD

doncic and kp are legit
HotRocks34
RealGM

Post#132 » by HotRocks34 » Sat Nov 9, 2019 4:07 am

Lalouie wrote:they lost to nyk tonight.
doncic and kp combined for 66points and the rest of the starters totaled 6
UNBELIEVABLY SAD

doncic and kp are legit

Worse loss of the year, not even close.

They still have some holes. Not sure if they'll be able to fill those holes this year. Some of it is mentality, some of it is personnel.

They just don't match up well with some teams, like the Magic or the Knicks.
** Philly won multiple playoff games without MVP Embiid, including a 2nd-round game on the road
jourdy
Starter
And1: 944

Post#133 » by jourdy » Sat Nov 9, 2019 4:14 am

Because this DAL team revolves around Doncic and KP.
Like I said in my 1st page post, this team needs more reliable players.

Luka was setting his teammates up for open looks all game, but the shots just aren't falling.
Justin Jackson and Wright missed 5 layups between them. Brunson and Curry were non-factors. It's just a very bad team that gets by with Luka's playmaking.
Swish1906
Head Coach
And1: 10,456

Post#134 » by Swish1906 » Sat Nov 9, 2019 4:15 am

All eight non Luka/KP roleplayer didnt show up at all. Total brickfest, missing layups etc etc. Knicks shot 50% from downtown. You dont beat a team with such a performance. Also the Knicks had in the 2nd half alone like a dozen terrible possessions that ended up with a scored basket in the last seconds because a three or a long midrange shot fell. Incredible output for a lot of low quality possessions.

It was a weird game. Before this game the mavs bench alone (minus the 3 other starter) was Top-3 in the league.
KingFox
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,602

Post#135 » by KingFox » Sat Nov 9, 2019 4:16 am

Very strange loss. Gotta take every team seriously
Imon
Head Coach
And1: 6,262

Post#136 » by Imon » Sat Nov 9, 2019 4:19 am

Swish1906 wrote:All eight non Luka/KP roleplayer didnt show up at all. Total brickfest, missing layups etc etc. Knicks shot 50% from downtown. You dont beat a team with such a performance. Also the Knicks had in the 2nd half alone like a dozen terrible possessions that ended up with a scored basket in the last seconds because a three or a long midrange shot fell. Incredible output for a lot of low quality possessions.

It was a weird game. Before this game the mavs bench alone (minus the 3 other starter) was Top-3 in the league.

This was the most shocking thing to me.
Morris and Ntilikina were like the splash brothers out there.
Pinkyring
RealGM

Post#137 » by Pinkyring » Sat Nov 9, 2019 4:19 am

Dundalis wrote:
Perseus1966 wrote:
Archx wrote:

Mr B wrote:
ZB9 wrote:

Pinkyring wrote:
ZB9 wrote:

imho

Rebounding just lost us a game bud
leolozon
General Manager
And1: 7,724

Post#138 » by leolozon » Sat Nov 9, 2019 4:21 am

I still can’t believe that Doncic took a stepback 35ft shot down 3 with still 18s on the shot clock... How is it possible to be such a smart player and take such a dumb decision? Did he think they were down 4 and he had to shoot fast?

It makes no sense to make a come back to waste it on that shot!
Phreak50
Lead Assistant
And1: 10,960

Post#139 » by Phreak50 » Sat Nov 9, 2019 4:22 am

wolfram wrote:
Phreak50 wrote:Mavs will NOT make the playoffs.

Spurs will NOT make the playoffs.

And?

Mavs have two so called superstars go off and still lose to the Knicks.
HotRocks34
RealGM

Post#140 » by HotRocks34 » Sat Nov 9, 2019 4:22 am

leolozon wrote:I still can’t believe that Doncic took a stepback 35ft shot down 3 with still 18s on the shot clock... How is it possible to be such a smart player and take such a dumb decision? Did he think they were down 4 and he had to shoot fast?

It makes no sense to make a come back to waste it on that shot!

It was a terrible shot

He's got to get the hero ball out of him.

Return to The General Board