Woj bomb: Wiseman ineligible for the 2020 season

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

Mr Puddles
Assistant Coach
And1: 9,974

Re: Woj bomb: Wiseman ineligible for the 2020 season 

Post#81 » by Mr Puddles » Sat Nov 9, 2019 3:27 am

NBAFan93 wrote:
Crizzle wrote:
NBAFan93 wrote:
Honestly man, it’s not a reach to see the reasons why that would be illegal under the recruiting rules. Even if this happened on a larger scale in the NBA in regards to a FA, fans of opposing teams would be upset.

Person does a huge favor for a soon to be FA athlete before they are part of a FO, little later person is hired by the FO of a team for a lucrative position, athlete signs w/ that team as a FA. That’s what happened here, and if this guy is really that good, you got to wonder if the relationship and favors he had due.to Penny is a reason Penny got the coaching job - how much is his salary?

Not the first time Memphis has done shady stuff either. I guess if this getting paid for your likeness stuff happens you’d hope to see less of this shady crap cause maybe parents will wise up and stop taking handouts that risk their kids eligibility (of course that will only work if the legit money is significantly greater than the shady money). I guess if the kid would have chose another school though none of this would matter, right?

Are you suggesting Penny was in need of money?

I’m suggesting that there is a possibility he got his job, which I’m sure is paying him at least a couple million, because someone knew he could deliver this kid to Memphis. This guy is really good?, right? If so, the optics are not good.

The problem is that now you have to start defining where the line is.

Let's say in a hypothetical scenario Penny sets up a basketball camp for underprivileged but talented kids. Given Penny's connections and name recognition these kids could benefit a lot more from this than an 11 thousand dollar gift. Penny uses his sponsorship connections and relationships to get some of the best trainers, nutritionists, physicians, housing etc. to work with these kids during the entire summer before they return to school - all in the name of charity.

Now a couple of years later Penny gets offered a coaching position. Of course he's going to have great relationships with these kids. Should be be disqualified from recruiting them now and should these players be suspended for the year if they do end up choosing to play for him?
Spoiler:
DaPessimist
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,474

Post#82 » by DaPessimist » Sat Nov 9, 2019 3:41 am

azcatz11 wrote:
DaPessimist wrote:If I'm the NBA I throw 500k at this guy to play in the G-League for a season. It's time they try to take their Minor League system to the next level.

People will not pay to watch top prospects on random G League teams.

I disagree. If Zion was on a G-League team last season, every game would have been nationally broadcast. Whatever venue he played in, would have been standing room only.

And on top of the 500k these players can start earning endorsement money right away, and playing and training in a professional organization.
chitownsalesmen
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,740

Post#83 » by chitownsalesmen » Sat Nov 9, 2019 3:50 am

ThunderBolt wrote:How does the NBA even have the rights to go into people past from 12 years ago?

Read on Twitter

Edit nevermind

Yeah that didn't even make sense, they where eyeing up a seven year old to play college basketball 12 years ago? doesn't add up.
Buckets22
Sixth Man
And1: 1,510

Post#84 » by Buckets22 » Sat Nov 9, 2019 3:56 am

The wise move is to leave NCAA and go to Europe for a season.
:king: King James Peoples' MVP 2020 :king:
Sedale Threatt
RealGM
And1: 40,829

Post#85 » by Sedale Threatt » Sat Nov 9, 2019 3:57 am

chitownsalesmen wrote:
ThunderBolt wrote:How does the NBA even have the rights to go into people past from 12 years ago?

Read on Twitter

Edit nevermind

Yeah that didn't even make sense, they where eyeing up a seven year old to play college basketball 12 years ago? doesn't add up.

It's the NCAA. If anybody would do something ridiculous like that, it's them.
chitownsalesmen
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,740

Post#86 » by chitownsalesmen » Sat Nov 9, 2019 3:58 am

Sedale Threatt wrote:
chitownsalesmen wrote:

Read on Twitter

Edit nevermind

But that would have been Penny not the ncaa. lol
Sedale Threatt
RealGM
And1: 40,829

Post#87 » by Sedale Threatt » Sat Nov 9, 2019 4:00 am

chitownsalesmen wrote:
Sedale Threatt wrote:
chitownsalesmen wrote:

But that would have been Penny not the ncaa. lol

misunderstood post, my bad
Sofia
GOTB: Mean Girls
And1: 30,567

Post#88 » by Sofia » Sat Nov 9, 2019 4:22 am

I guess James wasn’t a wise man

President of the Grady Dick Fanclub - top ****
President of the Pharmcat Fanclub
President of the GreatWhiteStiff Fanclub - go stiffies!
Sofia
GOTB: Mean Girls
And1: 30,567

Post#89 » by Sofia » Sat Nov 9, 2019 4:28 am

But really, **** the NCAA
President of the Grady Dick Fanclub - top ****
President of the Pharmcat Fanclub
President of the GreatWhiteStiff Fanclub - go stiffies!
DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,373

Post#90 » by DuckIII » Sat Nov 9, 2019 4:55 am

LakersLegacy wrote:Is Penny still allowed to coach??

Penny was not a NCAA coach when he paid Wiseman the money, so it has no impact on his coaching status.

Before I say more, let me first say I think all “illegal recruiting” rules should be abolished and players should be able to receive whatever benefits schools, Boosters, coaches, corporations, whatever, want to give them.

However, if you are going to have recruiting rules, it’s not hard to see that this smells rotten.

But ironically the obvious rotten stench is what makes this even more egregious. Because the NCAA knew about this in freaking MAY. And they are just now doing something about it. That is bull ****. And such a NCAA way to handle it. The NCAA is many things (hypocritical, corrupt, repulsive, exploitive), all bad. Including being just good old fashioned dumb and incompetent. Why wait until November to do this? Morons.
Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.
Zenzibar
General Manager
And1: 8,234

Post#91 » by Zenzibar » Sat Nov 9, 2019 4:56 am

NBAFan93 wrote:
Zenzibar wrote:This is a travesty to take a young man's ability to make a living based on his skills. Wiseman and the NBAPA has a chance to take the NCAA and their money grab down.
Wiseman should just sue to declare himself a free agent, no draft, no controls.

I think the fair thing - assuming the NBA won’t end one and done tomorrow (cause that’s what’s preventing him from joining the NBA - the NBA’s rule, not the NCAA) - would be to allow him to go play for another college that isn’t Memphis.

But the NCAA in it's entirety ruled him ineligible for something that occurred when he was 8 years old. Think about this for a minute.

Wiseman should challenge the entire draft process for doing this to him and declare himself a free agent. Not restricted by any draft or NCAA bylaws.
azcatz11
RealGM
And1: 25,833

Post#92 » by azcatz11 » Sat Nov 9, 2019 5:10 am

DaPessimist wrote:
azcatz11 wrote:
DaPessimist wrote:If I'm the NBA I throw 500k at this guy to play in the G-League for a season. It's time they try to take their Minor League system to the next level.

People will not pay to watch top prospects on random G League teams.

I disagree. If Zion was on a G-League team last season, every game would have been nationally broadcast. Whatever venue he played in, would have been standing room only.

And on top of the 500k these players can start earning endorsement money right away, and playing and training in a professional organization.

I'm going to respectfully disagree with your post. Zion is a generational marketable athlete so he shouldn't be taken as baseline. What other players would be nationally televised? If you have 1 a year that's marketable what are we even arguing?
Zenzibar
General Manager
And1: 8,234

Post#93 » by Zenzibar » Sat Nov 9, 2019 5:10 am

chitownsalesmen wrote:

Read on Twitter

Edit nevermind

One of the other big competitive schools dug this up and decided to ruin a kids chance to play college ball. Penny was training kids for a minute, Wiseman's family was probably in a fked up neighborhood and he moved them closer to him. They worked together and boom.

He said to Memphis, I have a young talent but I want to coach him and Memphis of course said yes. One year later Wiseman is signing a letter of intent.

This all I can see.
But these bytches of NCAA, got some snitch news and could have decided to not only prohibit Wiseman from playing for Memphis but immediately allow him to sign with another school, which would have been acceptably logical. But someone up there made the most idiotic call to not allow the kid to play in college at ALL.

Wait why, he's still a 19yr old kid in all this, who growing up probably and innocently saw Penny as family. Now he's distraught somewhere cause he been envisioning this moment for years. He was 8.

How fair is that? FK the NCAA and this call. Sue them NCAA bytches.
kan_t
Pro Prospect
And1: 725

Post#94 » by kan_t » Sat Nov 9, 2019 6:03 am

I know people hate NCAA but it clearly is a conflict of interest in recruiting.
infinite11285
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 25,412

Post#95 » by infinite11285 » Sat Nov 9, 2019 6:14 am

kan_t wrote:I know people hate NCAA, but it clearly is a conflict of interest in recruiting.

The issue is the NCAA has been sitting on this since May, and just so happened to decide to "make a statement" shortly after a ruling against the NCAA allowing top prospects like Wiseman to get paid. This isn't just a mere coincidence in timing. It's a cowardly action by an egregiously corrupt organization out of spite.
LakerLegend
RealGM
And1: 6,915

Post#96 » by LakerLegend » Sat Nov 9, 2019 6:20 am

Whatever, go to Europe or the D-League.
stitches
RealGM
And1: 6,811

Re: Woj bomb: Wiseman ineligible for the 2020 draft 

Post#97 » by stitches » Sat Nov 9, 2019 6:34 am

GhostOfChicago wrote:
SOUL wrote:
DaT WaVeY RiCaN wrote:Why?

Read on Twitter

In 2008

Read on Twitter

I'm sorry but this is freaking ridiculous. There is no common sense in NCAA.
DaddyCool19
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,380

Post#98 » by DaddyCool19 » Sat Nov 9, 2019 7:00 am

stitches wrote:
GhostOfChicago wrote:
SOUL wrote:
Read on Twitter

In 2008

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

2008 was probably a typo
stitches
RealGM
And1: 6,811

Post#99 » by stitches » Sat Nov 9, 2019 7:01 am

DaddyCool19 wrote:
stitches wrote:
GhostOfChicago wrote:
In 2008

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

2008 was probably a typo

Oh, OK, that makes more sense then.
Rastas
Starter
And1: 1,174

Post#100 » by Rastas » Sat Nov 9, 2019 11:46 am

Go to the NBL (Australia) with Lamelo and RJ Hampton , play a dozen or so competitive games to keep in shape then return to fight it out for a top lottery pick.
Earn $, high team orientated professional competition and great lifestyle.
F*#% the NCAA

Return to The General Board