Mavs looking legit

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

Will the Mavs make the 2020 playoffs?

Yes, Mavs will make the playoffs
68%
No, Mavs will not make the playoffs
15%
I'm not sure if the Mavs will make the playoffs
17%

Total votes: 356

Knicks7Tape
Pro Prospect
And1: 902

Re: Mavs looking legit 

Post#141 » by Knicks7Tape » Sat Nov 9, 2019 4:23 am

Precious couldn't beat the Knicks tonight!
Archx
RealGM
And1: 7,958

Post#142 » by Archx » Sat Nov 9, 2019 4:25 am

HotRocks34 wrote:
leolozon wrote:I still can’t believe that Doncic took a stepback 35ft shot down 3 with still 18s on the shot clock... How is it possible to be such a smart player and take such a dumb decision? Did he think they were down 4 and he had to shoot fast?

It makes no sense to make a come back to waste it on that shot!

It was a terrible shot

He's got to get the hero ball out of him.

Well he had a 38pt triple double and they still lost. You can't really blame him for trying. But i do agree it was a weird decision, don't know what he was thinking there.
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,015

Post#143 » by Mr B » Sat Nov 9, 2019 4:29 am

Pinkyring wrote:
Dundalis wrote:
Perseus1966 wrote:I am not trolling he is a good scorer

Um, except his best attribute is his passing, not his scoring. And by a good margin.
Mr B wrote:
They need a stronger defender in the paint though and they need a stronger rebounder next to KP. Maxi great but he’s not a strong rebounder. He’s not strong enough to push guys around. Boban is capable but he plays on restricted minutes. A guy like Thompson would bring the interior D/rebounding and would also bring a little attitude to the Mavs. Him playing next to KP’s shot blocking ability and their interior defense and rebounding would be much better. That is going to be needed if they do happen to make the playoffs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The do need it. They do NOT absolutely require it though. Most teams do not have a paint banger who is going to cause significant issues for us defensively. Rebounding has not been an issue, or cost us games. Maxi THIS season has been a very good rebounder, you havent been paying much attention. He's improved a lot in that area. Boban is capable and is more than capable of playing more minutes in the minority of games where we need to combat a very strong interior presence. Thompson would bring what you say, but our number 1 offensive efficiency is going down the toilet as he kills our spacing. This toughness attitude thing is way overblown. It's pure smoke. Guys like Thompson and Adams hinder more than help IMO, especially when you actually get to the playoffs and spacing is even more at a premium.

lilfishi22 wrote:Luka is playing at an MVP level early in the season when he's still fresh but depth and defense is still going to be an issue. Roster depth is what will carry a team through tough stretches of the season when your star players are bogged down from high minutes played, injuries occur and when motivation isn't at its highest which is something we see with many teams in the middle of the season.

I'm just not sure you can rely on Luka and Zinger playing at an elite level throughout the season without a deep roster to balance the load. Mavs have a great coach, a solid system and an elite player in Luka but it might be too much to ask of Luka to carry this team in the loaded West. That's really my main concern with the Mavs

The Mavs have arguably the best bench in the NBA by many metrics. Depth is a STRENGTH of the team not a weakness. Quality, proven starters around KP and Luka is the problem. The supporting cast beat Denver when Luka and KP were absolutely terrible. The bench carried the team, not Luka.

Pinkyring wrote:Did you miss the pelicans game? Our interior defense is trash and maxi isn't a shooter at all 33% doesn't qualify as can shoot, nobody fears his shooting

Maxi shot 35% from 3 last season which is perfectly respectable. Way to cherry pick the small sample size to both crap on Maxi's spacing ability and trash our interior defense by looking at one single game.

Our rim protection on help defense is elite. Our man on man defense in the paint is poor. Again, you bring in a guy who can solve that issue with the likes of Thompson or Adams, you offset it by reducing our offensive efficiency. No thanks. Give me another high level perimeter defender to help our defense instead.

Rebounding just lost us a game bud

It sure did. Carlisle mentioned it too that the Mavs were going to be facing some strong rebounding teams and that they needed to step up. They need 1 more big down low that can rebound his ass off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
leolozon
General Manager
And1: 7,755

Post#144 » by leolozon » Sat Nov 9, 2019 4:31 am

HotRocks34 wrote:
leolozon wrote:I still can’t believe that Doncic took a stepback 35ft shot down 3 with still 18s on the shot clock... How is it possible to be such a smart player and take such a dumb decision? Did he think they were down 4 and he had to shoot fast?

It was a terrible shot

The guy just got 38/14/10 on great efficiency. And all I can think about is that dumb shot and that dumb TO he had near the end.

He must have been feeling it... To be fair, it was pretty close, it hit the interior of the rim I think. Just a tad too strong.

But he’s too smart and talented for that type of sh*t. Yeah, he should get the shot at the end... But not that shot!

It wasn’t just him, the team just shot badly, missing a lot of open shots. Plus Porzingis not boxing out... It was really a mess.
Illuminatos
Analyst
And1: 1,211

Post#145 » by Illuminatos » Sat Nov 9, 2019 4:33 am

Shout out to looking for securing the W for us with that god-awful shot.
WadeInTheWater wrote:I stick up for LeBron to the depths of the earth, i tell anyone i know when discussing basketball that LeBron is everything that Jordan was AND more but just without the rings YET. No doubt about he is better all round than Jordan ever was

^^Trololol^^
RHODEY
RealGM
And1: 19,431

Post#146 » by RHODEY » Sat Nov 9, 2019 4:34 am

HotRocks34 wrote:Watching the Knicks game tonight (Knicks up 4 at the break) and it reminds me a lot of the Magic game.

As good and skilled as the Mavs are, they are susceptible to being "punked" by teams at times. Dallas could use another athlete with size (someone like Morris or Randle or Portis) who also has a tough-guy mentality. The Mavs could use a bit more goon to them.

They don't have that, and sometimes it lets outmatched-in-skill teams feel very comfortable playing the Mavs. I'm not dissing the Magic or the Knicks here, either. This is a Mavs issue. The Magic and Knicks are doing what they should do in the situation.

Basically, the Mavs need to get a little bit tougher. Especially on defense. Teams are going to come at them, challenge them, and they have to be ready for that.

Still a work in progress, both in terms of mentality and personnel.

Or maybe the Mavs are overrated. Outside of KP and Luka they are underwhelming to me. Conversely the knicks depth is underrated.
ubernathan
Veteran
And1: 548

Post#147 » by ubernathan » Sat Nov 9, 2019 4:49 am

Mavs are in bad shape. They're fixing to enter grit and grind grizz territory: too bad for playoff success, too good for the draft picks they need to improve.
Swish1906
Head Coach
And1: 10,615

Post#148 » by Swish1906 » Sat Nov 9, 2019 4:51 am

RHODEY wrote:Or maybe the Mavs are overrated. Outside of KP and Luka they are underwhelming to me. Conversely the knicks depth is underrated.

Mavs bench was 3rd best in scoring before the game...so thats that regarding overrated...
dantas
Sophomore
And1: 124

Post#149 » by dantas » Sat Nov 9, 2019 5:10 am

Mavs defense was terrible tonight. They need to improve a lot. I don't think they have the pieces to do that. making a couple of trades or tanking the rest of season.
Stannis
RealGM
And1: 9,923

Post#150 » by Stannis » Sat Nov 9, 2019 5:15 am

KPs airball 3 and foul on the Morris 3 sealed the deal
Free Palestine
Stannis
RealGM
And1: 9,923

Post#151 » by Stannis » Sat Nov 9, 2019 5:17 am

It feels great playing against a guy like Tim Hardaway Jr., tbh
Free Palestine
wolfram
Junior
And1: 314

Post#152 » by wolfram » Sat Nov 9, 2019 5:26 am

Phreak50 wrote:
wolfram wrote:
Phreak50 wrote:Mavs will NOT make the playoffs.

Spurs will NOT make the playoffs.

And?

Mavs have two so called superstars go off and still lose to the Knicks.

I'm just reacting to a bold statement with another bold statement. Nobody knows how the season will go.
DaPessimist
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,501

Post#153 » by DaPessimist » Sat Nov 9, 2019 5:30 am

HotRocks34 wrote:

It was a terrible shot

I don't think the hero ball is the problem. I think the problem is Luka is tired in the 4th quarter, and his hero ball is resulting in long, contested jumpers. Every game I've watched Luka has been slow in the 4th. He needs to improve his stamina, and learn to pace himself better over the course of the game. KP needs to be featured more, and take some of the playmaking pressure off Luka earlier in the game.
ejs78
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,091

Post#154 » by ejs78 » Sat Nov 9, 2019 6:26 am

As Zach Lowe put it they don't have a 3rd best option and alot of 5th best options.

As a Mavs fan im sticking with my 40 to 42 wins unless they make a deal. Gonna be alot of games where this happens from the others

Sent from my SM-G960U using RealGM mobile app
GTR11
RealGM
And1: 2,847

Post#155 » by GTR11 » Sat Nov 9, 2019 8:41 am

Mavs as currently constructed won't make playoffs. Luka and KP ain't good enough yet, sorry but that trash they call teammates ain't belong in NBA. Some of these hot takes could be used as signeture for good laughs later on. As I mentioned during off-season it's about who they can get later on to make some noise.
Sacramento has quality players along with Fox who looks to be future all star the way he's been balling. The only thing that keeps them back is their bum ass gm/coach combo.
MrGoat
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,269

Post#156 » by MrGoat » Sat Nov 9, 2019 8:50 am

38-14-10 by Luka and 29-8 with 5 blocks by KP.

It looks like the Mavs fans' concerns about not signing a real third option despite our cap space were legit. I'm still grumpy Indiana got a successful bid on Brogdon for less than max price, we should have been much more aggressive there
Buzzard
RealGM
And1: 7,522

Post#157 » by Buzzard » Sat Nov 9, 2019 9:03 am

MrGoat wrote:38-14-10 by Luka and 29-8 with 5 blocks by KP.

It looks like the Mavs fans' concerns about not signing a real third option despite our cap space were legit. I'm still grumpy Indiana got a successful bid on Brogdon for less than max price, we should have been much more aggressive there

Brogdon looks like he would be a killer anywhere so far this season. I loved it for Indy and would have loved it for the Mavs. A great fit for any team in need of a second guard.
BAF Pacers: Unleash Trae!

PG Ice Trae
SG Buddy Hield/Luke Kennard/Brandin Podziemski
SF OG Anunoby/Terrence Ross/Kris Murray
PF Richaun Holmes/JaMychal Green/Chris Livingston
C KAT/Mark Williams
mcmurphy
Starter
And1: 1,867

Post#158 » by mcmurphy » Sat Nov 9, 2019 9:07 am

RHODEY wrote:
HotRocks34 wrote:Watching the Knicks game tonight (Knicks up 4 at the break) and it reminds me a lot of the Magic game.

As good and skilled as the Mavs are, they are susceptible to being "punked" by teams at times. Dallas could use another athlete with size (someone like Morris or Randle or Portis) who also has a tough-guy mentality. The Mavs could use a bit more goon to them.

They don't have that, and sometimes it lets outmatched-in-skill teams feel very comfortable playing the Mavs. I'm not dissing the Magic or the Knicks here, either. This is a Mavs issue. The Magic and Knicks are doing what they should do in the situation.

Basically, the Mavs need to get a little bit tougher. Especially on defense. Teams are going to come at them, challenge them, and they have to be ready for that.

Still a work in progress, both in terms of mentality and personnel.

Or maybe the Mavs are overrated. Outside of KP and Luka they are underwhelming to me. Conversely the knicks depth is underrated.

... or maybe is enough to shot for the Knicks in this way to become unbeatable...
Knicks are 10-0 in the last 10 seasons when shot >50% 3P and 3PA > 30...

Good luck.
chitownsalesmen
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,740

Post#159 » by chitownsalesmen » Sat Nov 9, 2019 9:11 am

ubernathan wrote:Mavs are in bad shape. They're fixing to enter grit and grind grizz territory: too bad for playoff success, too good for the draft picks they need to improve.

Strong disagree theyare very much still a young developing team, I know Prozingis hasn't been great lately so if he starts playing as well as we have come to expect him too in his career, and him and Luka build chemistry I see a lot of potential for them.
PR1D3
Ballboy
And1: 13

Post#160 » by PR1D3 » Sat Nov 9, 2019 10:28 am

Luka "ceilling" Doncic :lol: :lol: :lol:

Return to The General Board