Porzingis is shooting 41%

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

Roy The Natural
RealGM
And1: 5,421

Re: Porzingis is shooting 41% 

Post#61 » by Roy The Natural » Fri Nov 8, 2019 8:40 pm

Swish1906 wrote:Its 7 freaking games for him after an 18 month break. How about you give him some time? He was inefficient in NY because their whole offense was "dump the ball to KP in the highpost and let him shoot over smaller guys". I totally expect him to have a much better effiency under Rick Carlisle but the whole offense is still a work in progress:

This is the Mavs roster. They are still at the very beginning of a total makeover:
Guys with only 7 or fewer regular-season games with the Mavs
KP (7 games)
Wright (7 games)
Curry (7 games)
Boban (3 games)

Guys with fewer than 30 games with the Mavs
Hardaway Jr (26 games)
Lee (24 games)

Guys with fewer than 40 games with the Mavs
Jackson (36 games)

Guys with fewer than 82 games with the Mavs
Brunson (80 games)
Doncic (79 games)

Guys with 2+ seasons with the Mavs
Barea
DFS
Kleber
Powell

I 100% agree with you here. But you should remember that this is the general board and we get 10 hot take threads a day.
koningcosmo
Senior
And1: 636

Post#62 » by koningcosmo » Fri Nov 8, 2019 9:10 pm

36% from 3 on 6.3 attempts per game though. his 2pt is 44% its not good but its not terrible. considering he didnt play for 18 months and he is playing decent defense i would say he is doing pretty good uptill now.
Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 19,567

Post#63 » by Colbinii » Fri Nov 8, 2019 9:18 pm

koningcosmo wrote:36% from 3 on 6.3 attempts per game though. his 2pt is 44% its not good but its not terrible. considering he didnt play for 18 months and he is playing decent defense i would say he is doing pretty good uptill now.

44% is terrible from 2 pt land.

Embiid is at 51, Horford at 50, Aldridge 55, Jokic at 53, Towns at 57, Giannis at 68 and Love at 61.

The reason I am pointing these numbers out isn't because I think Porzingis is as good as these guys [He is worse than all of them]. The reason I am pointing these numbers out is because most of these players except Giannis take mid-range shots in conjunction with paint shots.
However, Porzingis has taken just 13 shots at the rim this season. 13! A guy who is 7' 3" is averaging only 2 shot attempts at the rim per game. It is baffling.
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
baldur
RealGM
And1: 12,287

Post#64 » by baldur » Fri Nov 8, 2019 9:19 pm

he is 2.21 cm, however, doesn't play post up because he shoots well from out of the paint and the perimeter yet his shooting percentage is not good. Something is wrong with this.
DimesandKnicks
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,612

Post#65 » by DimesandKnicks » Fri Nov 8, 2019 9:23 pm

Forte IV wrote:Porzingis has never been an efficient scorer. He was just under 44% his all-star(torn acl) year. Most "stars" today tend to shoot under 45% anyways. So shouldn't be a huge deal.

Not of the PF, C variety. Especially 7''3 ones.
DiogoLandim
Sophomore
And1: 179

Post#66 » by DiogoLandim » Fri Nov 8, 2019 10:41 pm

He has Josh Smith syndrome's that he thinks he's a 3 and D SF. Luka love to run pick and rolls with Powell because he knows he will run to the rim, he also likes to atract defense in order to Boban put himself under the post.

Pretty sure that at least Carlise knows that he has to be utilized in another way, it's a matter of doing the right rotations and picks on the floor, he'll get there.
Johnny Firpo
RealGM
And1: 8,619

Post#67 » by Johnny Firpo » Fri Nov 8, 2019 11:39 pm

KP was, what, 22 when he went down? Lot of you guys talk about him like he was a finished product at the time of his injury, or like he is a finished product now. I don't get this. I also don't get the "he is 7'3, he should have a higher FG%" logic. He is a perimeter player, why would you expect him to shoot a high FG% when he doesn't play in the post?
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 36,497

Post#68 » by zimpy27 » Sat Nov 9, 2019 12:02 am

He needs this season to right the progress he lost.

Plus he's pretty good defensively.
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
HeatRing2012
Bench Warmer
And1: 291

Post#69 » by HeatRing2012 » Sat Nov 9, 2019 1:18 am

kobe_vs_jordan wrote:
JohnWillow wrote:I can spin it also like this.

Harden is shooting 38 %.

I'm not an advanced stats guy, but he's not playing well enough to help Houston propel the team into the contender.

36 and 8 sounds good but not at his efficiency. Yes he is coming back from dissapointing playoff perfomance year in and year out, but that can't be his excuse if this continues.

is he overrated? or do you think he's rights the ship?

*green font

Love you Houston fans.

Give him a little bit more time, I have not seen yet a player comeback from major injury right out of the gates playing like an all star talent, if this goes on to the 2nd half of the season, then we might have a problem.

Not really a spin, when Harden shoots 14(no typo) 3s a game. If Porzingis drew fouls, it would help a ton. Harden is still around 59TS% with him drawing fouls.

I always wonder why people never bother to look up the simple TS%-formular.

in short: the more FGA and FTA you have with your points, the higher your TS%. in other words: if you take (make?) many threes and draw a lot of FTs, you will have a very high TS%.

thats why no one in the world is surprised to see Harden, who is averaging the most FTA since 50-60 years, is having a high TS%.
it's also food for thoughts as to why some people put so much value into that stat.
Optms
RealGM
And1: 16,925

Post#70 » by Optms » Sat Nov 9, 2019 1:38 am

Wagonband wrote:I can't wait for Durant's first game back where people will be saying "wow he is washed, he shot 4/15!".

It takes a long time for a basketball player to get back into his groove. What's positive is he looks very good physically, and has had some great stretches.

I have no doubt he will be playing much better in 10 games time, not even have to wait for the end of the season

He is washed.

No one comes back from an achilles tear to his old self. Especially not a player who relies on mobility like KD did. You don't need a crap game 1 to tell you that. Look what it did to Kobe. He was done.
Wolfgang630
RealGM
And1: 15,966

Post#71 » by Wolfgang630 » Sat Nov 9, 2019 1:45 am

He was like this in NY. His problem was always consistency
antonac
Starter
And1: 2,195

Post#72 » by antonac » Sat Nov 9, 2019 2:19 am

He's essentially in his 3rd year, he had two seasons under his belt and has had his improvement reset after being out for 18 months.

He looks in good condition, moving quite freely (given he's 7'3!) he clearly has shooting touch, handles and he's great rim protector.

Any young player is a gamble, but getting worried about a 3rd year player being inefficient with his skillset is extremely premature. You just have to watch Dallas to see that he takes a lot of ill-advised shots.

it's also worth noting he seems to be their bail out guy, if shot clock is at 2 or 3 a lot of the time it's dumped to porzingis to just launch.
kobe_vs_jordan
General Manager
And1: 4,476

Post#73 » by kobe_vs_jordan » Sat Nov 9, 2019 7:32 am

HeatRing2012 wrote:
kobe_vs_jordan wrote:
JohnWillow wrote:I can spin it also like this.

Harden is shooting 38 %.

I'm not an advanced stats guy, but he's not playing well enough to help Houston propel the team into the contender.

36 and 8 sounds good but not at his efficiency. Yes he is coming back from dissapointing playoff perfomance year in and year out, but that can't be his excuse if this continues.

is he overrated? or do you think he's rights the ship?

*green font

Love you Houston fans.

Give him a little bit more time, I have not seen yet a player comeback from major injury right out of the gates playing like an all star talent, if this goes on to the 2nd half of the season, then we might have a problem.

Not really a spin, when Harden shoots 14(no typo) 3s a game. If Porzingis drew fouls, it would help a ton. Harden is still around 59TS% with him drawing fouls.

in short: the more FGA and FTA you have with your points, the higher your TS%. in other words: if you take (make?) many threes and draw a lot of FTs, you will have a very high TS%.

thats why no one in the world is surprised to see Harden, who is averaging the most FTA since 50-60 years, is having a high TS%.
it's also food for thoughts as to why some people put so much value into that stat.

B/c what is the difference between Harden making a layup or two FTs ? Nothing from the rockets perspective. Players who draw fouls, makes their threes, FTs, and layups are the most efficient .
Buzzard
RealGM
And1: 7,522

Post#74 » by Buzzard » Sat Nov 9, 2019 8:02 am

kobe_vs_jordan wrote:
HeatRing2012 wrote:
kobe_vs_jordan wrote:Not really a spin, when Harden shoots 14(no typo) 3s a game. If Porzingis drew fouls, it would help a ton. Harden is still around 59TS% with him drawing fouls.

B/c what is the difference between Harden making a layup or two FTs ? Nothing from the rockets perspective. Players who draw fouls, makes their threes, FTs, and layups are the most efficient .

What you say. Its all about points per possession and it does not matter how you get them. Players that have a high TS% and high usage help their teams out. Those that have high usage and low TS% hurt their teams.

This is also why defensive role players stick to being defensive role players.
BAF Pacers: Unleash Trae!

PG Ice Trae
SG Buddy Hield/Luke Kennard/Brandin Podziemski
SF OG Anunoby/Terrence Ross/Kris Murray
PF Richaun Holmes/JaMychal Green/Chris Livingston
C KAT/Mark Williams
manlisten
Junior
And1: 311

Post#75 » by manlisten » Sat Nov 9, 2019 8:06 am

kobe_vs_jordan wrote:
HeatRing2012 wrote:
kobe_vs_jordan wrote:Not really a spin, when Harden shoots 14(no typo) 3s a game. If Porzingis drew fouls, it would help a ton. Harden is still around 59TS% with him drawing fouls.

It takes two free throws to equal one layup. Isn't that less efficient, not more?
Buzzard
RealGM
And1: 7,522

Post#76 » by Buzzard » Sat Nov 9, 2019 8:11 am

manlisten wrote:
kobe_vs_jordan wrote:
HeatRing2012 wrote:I always wonder why people never bother to look up the simple TS%-formular.

It takes two free throws to equal one layup. Isn't that less efficient, not more?

Depends on if he makes the shot or not. Teams are trying to bump him, guide him, steal the ball, and block the shot while he is driving for the layup. Sometimes in the paint just getting the shot off is a minor miracle for someone who is not 6'10 or taller.

So getting the free throws is better than not getting anything. Plus the added benefit of getting teams and players into foul trouble. High TS% small ball players are almost always excellent free throw shooters. Something is always better than nothing.
BAF Pacers: Unleash Trae!

PG Ice Trae
SG Buddy Hield/Luke Kennard/Brandin Podziemski
SF OG Anunoby/Terrence Ross/Kris Murray
PF Richaun Holmes/JaMychal Green/Chris Livingston
C KAT/Mark Williams
kobe_vs_jordan
General Manager
And1: 4,476

Post#77 » by kobe_vs_jordan » Sat Nov 9, 2019 8:22 am

manlisten wrote:
kobe_vs_jordan wrote:
HeatRing2012 wrote:I always wonder why people never bother to look up the simple TS%-formular.

The points are the same for possession , most players outside of the Giannis and Lebrons of the world have a better chance at making 2 FTs, then finishing at the rim during game time.

Like a player might shot 80% from the FT line, he has a 64% chance of making two FTs in a row . So he would have to finish around the rim at at 64% rate or higher for the layup to be the better shot.
Edrees
RealGM
And1: 11,114

Post#78 » by Edrees » Sat Nov 9, 2019 8:38 am

GIve him time, he's essentially going to need the year to recover like Gordon Hayward did. And gruesomeness aside his injury is far worse in terms of getting back on the court.
andyhop
Analyst
And1: 1,274

Post#79 » by andyhop » Sat Nov 9, 2019 10:43 am

You might want to go look up the formula again because nothing you wrote here is correct.
"Football is not a matter of life and death...it's much more important than that."- Bill Shankley
Dundalis
Senior
And1: 543

Post#80 » by Dundalis » Sat Nov 9, 2019 11:16 am

One of KP's major adjustment issues aside from his long lay off and return from injury, is that Rick isn't letting him jack up the same kind of inefficient shots as frequently as he was allowed to do in New York. The Mavs play a flow offense, and KP is being forced to adjust to playing within that. Barring something injury related, KP is likely going to be much more efficient under Carlisle, not even mentioning the fact his PnR with Doncic is not being used anywhere near as effectively or frequently as it almost certainly will down the line.

Return to The General Board