Porzingis is shooting 41%

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

boomershadow
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,232

Re: Porzingis is shooting 41% 

Post#81 » by boomershadow » Sat Nov 9, 2019 11:22 am

ropjhk wrote:Gordon Hayward's case should be a reminder to people that sometimes it can take a whole season for a player to recover from a season long injury. I think it's so normal for players in these situations to have a long recovery that when an exception like Kawhi comes around it makes people question the injury.

PG was pretty good his first year back, but even he wasn't playing near the level that he eventually got back to.
Antinomy
Head Coach
And1: 7,617

Post#82 » by Antinomy » Sat Nov 9, 2019 12:00 pm

Why does this dude just lock himself in a room & watch Dirk tape?

Every time I watch him play, I wonder why he’s trying to put the ball on the floor & do crossover moves.
RGM_SU
Senior
And1: 942

Post#83 » by RGM_SU » Sat Nov 9, 2019 3:44 pm

Antinomy wrote:Why does this dude just lock himself in a room & watch Dirk tape?

You mean tapes like these?
Dirk
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 35,593

Post#84 » by Dirk » Sat Nov 9, 2019 3:58 pm

I echo the 'watch Dirk tape' reference. Really really needs to be more patient with his offense, as opposed to thinking he has to make a quick move or beat people off the dribble --- it's fun to watch when it works and blows your mind, but not efficient. This is not a new thing though, when he was with the Knicks, post game was a key area to improve. He had a couple of good moments on that department yesterday and against different body types, but on occasion, you will still spot him not taking advantage of smaller guys on his back, will settle for tough shots when he should have the power to back them down and force a foul/double team.

For what it's worth, the Mavs have not really done a good job at setting him up in better spots. It has all been a bit disjointed. So his efficiency should definitely improve just by virtue of nullifying some of the wild shots he has jacked up in broken plays.
Gfycat Video - Click to Play

60/21/10
Antinomy
Head Coach
And1: 7,617

Post#85 » by Antinomy » Sat Nov 9, 2019 5:03 pm

RGM_SU wrote:
Antinomy wrote:Why does this dude just lock himself in a room & watch Dirk tape?

It’s amazing how Dirk’s game evolved over time. Porzingis needs to realize that although he is athletic & fluid for his height, it’s just not smart to be trying to dribble around smaller players all the time. You’re removing your biggest advantage. Imagine if he developed a fadeaway...it would be unguardable.

There’s a reason why a guy like Durant for example would struggle when being defended by smaller players.
bran muffin
Starter
And1: 3,441

Post#86 » by bran muffin » Sat Nov 9, 2019 6:00 pm

Every time I watch him play, I wonder why he’s trying to put the ball on the floor & do crossover moves.

Dirk wrote:I echo the 'watch Dirk tape' reference. Really really needs to be more patient with his offense, as opposed to thinking he has to make a quick move or beat people off the dribble --- it's fun to watch when it works and blows your mind, but not efficient.

The old Mavs offense was built on feeding Dirk the ball in the mid-post. These were essentially isolation plays, and resulted in a lot of mid-range shots. Exactly the two things the Mavs are now trying to avoid. What was good in 2009 is not good in 2019.

The new offense is built around Luka. It puts all 5 players on the perimeter to maximize spacing and ball movement, creating open lanes to the rim. The system puts KP at the top of the arc. From that spot, KP has no choice but to shoot 3's or take those long drives towards the rim.

It's true KP would look so much better if the Mavs posted him up, like they did with Dirk. But that would come at the detriment of the other 4 players on the court, especially Luka. Spacing becomes constricted, pace slows down, ball movement suffers, more isos, more mid-range jumpers.
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,328

Post#87 » by Texas Chuck » Sat Nov 9, 2019 6:11 pm

bran muffin wrote:

Dirk wrote:I echo the 'watch Dirk tape' reference. Really really needs to be more patient with his offense, as opposed to thinking he has to make a quick move or beat people off the dribble --- it's fun to watch when it works and blows your mind, but not efficient.

The old Mavs offense was built on feeding Dirk the ball in the mid-post. These were essentially isolation plays, and resulted in a lot of mid-range shots. Exactly the two things the Mavs are now trying to avoid. What was good in 2009 is not good in 2019.

Huh? That Mavs offense featuring Dirk in the high post got Dirk lots of mid-range jumpers, not the team. And yes in 2019 prime Dirk taking 18 footer jumpers would still be great offense. But it also led to a bunch of wide open 3's--exactly what 2019 offense is all about.

JET also took his share of mid-range jumpers but that was off the JET/Dirk PNR and again the Dirk/JET PNR would be great offense in 2019.

This offense is going to be Luka-centric not KP-centric. He's less than 10 games into his tenure and I have confidence Rick is going to figure out how best to take advantage of him. But asking him to be Dirk simply isn't fair. Nobody else is Dirk.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 3,954

Post#88 » by Mr B » Sat Nov 9, 2019 6:24 pm

Antinomy wrote:
RGM_SU wrote:

It’s amazing how Dirk’s game evolved over time. Porzingis needs to realize that although he is athletic & fluid for his height, it’s just not smart to be trying to dribble around smaller players all the time. You’re removing your biggest advantage. Imagine if he developed a fadeaway...it would be unguardable.

There’s a reason why a guy like Durant for example would struggle when being defended by smaller players.

I definitely wouldn’t want to take that away from his game. Dirk did that all the time early in his career. Go back and watch how he used to abuse Kevin Garnett in the playoffs. KP does need to add to his game though. He needs a post game to mix in with his ability to drive. Passing out of the post is essential too. I would love to see him watch some film of Kareem. With his height he would have an unblockable jump hook.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mr B
RealGM

Post#89 » by Mr B » Sat Nov 9, 2019 6:26 pm

bran muffin wrote:

The new offense is built around Luka. It puts all 5 players on the perimeter to maximize spacing and ball movement, creating open lanes to the rim. The system puts KP at the top of the arc. From that spot, KP has no choice but to shoot 3's or take those long drives towards the rim.

It's true KP would look so much better if the Mavs posted him up, like they did with Dirk. But that would come at the detriment of the other 4 players on the court, especially Luka. Spacing becomes constricted, pace slows down, ball movement suffers, more isos, more mid-range jumpers.

They’ve tried to avoid the mid-range shot because they haven’t had a big that could pull that shot off. I absolutely think it will (and should) be part of KP’s game. He’s damn near unguardable from mid-range.

Mr B
RealGM

Post#90 » by Mr B » Sat Nov 9, 2019 6:27 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:
bran muffin wrote:

Huh? That Mavs offense featuring Dirk in the high post got Dirk lots of mid-range jumpers, not the team. And yes in 2019 prime Dirk taking 18 footer jumpers would still be great offense. But it also led to a bunch of wide open 3's--exactly what 2019 offense is all about.

JET also took his share of mid-range jumpers but that was off the JET/Dirk PNR and again the Dirk/JET PNR would be great offense in 2019.

This offense is going to be Luka-centric not KP-centric. He's less than 10 games into his tenure and I have confidence Rick is going to figure out how best to take advantage of him. But asking him to be Dirk simply isn't fair. Nobody else is Dirk.

KP needs to watch some film of Kareem.

igorbianch
Analyst
And1: 4,321

Post#91 » by igorbianch » Sat Nov 9, 2019 6:31 pm

Avoiding midrange at all costs is a stupid decision IMO.

In the playoffs good defenses will guard the paint and perimeter well. A good midrange is a difference maker and opens up the floor.
:lol:
Mr B
RealGM

Post#92 » by Mr B » Sat Nov 9, 2019 6:35 pm

igorbianch wrote:Avoiding midrange at all costs is a stupid decision IMO.

In the playoffs good defenses will guard the paint and perimeter well. A good midrange is a difference maker and opens up the floor.

100% agree

bran muffin
Starter
And1: 3,441

Post#93 » by bran muffin » Sat Nov 9, 2019 6:41 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:Huh? That Mavs offense featuring Dirk in the high post got Dirk lots of mid-range jumpers, not the team.

A mid-range jumper from KP is still a mid-range jumper for the team.

Texas Chuck wrote:This offense is going to be Luka-centric not KP-centric. He's less than 10 games into his tenure and I have confidence Rick is going to figure out how best to take advantage of him.

The offense will have to be built around the Luka-KP pick and roll/pop. It can't be KP parking himself in the mid-post taking turnaround fadeways like it was still 2009. But that seems to be what Mavs fans want out of him.
Dirk
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 35,593

Post#94 » by Dirk » Sat Nov 9, 2019 6:42 pm

bran muffin wrote:

The old Mavs offense was built on feeding Dirk the ball in the mid-post. These were essentially isolation plays, and resulted in a lot of mid-range shots. Exactly the two things the Mavs are trying to avoid. What was good in 2009 is not good in 2019.

The Mavs had some great offenses w/Dirk. But this is not about building the offense around KP. It's about when he gets the ball in certain spots, he should be more like Dirk. Jut yesterday he had a dumb shot when matched up with the Knicks french guy. It wasn't the first time this year. And it's a pattern in his career --- guards guarding him in the post. He can't bail out these mismatches. It'd be a great asset to have if he is able to develop that area of his game to the point where teams are forced to send out double teams and can't just hide some guy on him.
60/21/10
zonedefense
Analyst
And1: 3,938

Post#95 » by zonedefense » Sat Nov 9, 2019 8:51 pm

Durant and Dirk had the same weakness earlier in their career but not to the same extend. As long as he cannot expose mismatches his offensive impact will be limited. Dirk and Durant became all time great iso scorers because their wasn´t a matchup that they couldn´t expose. That´s not the case with KP. He has the unicorn build but not the unicorn ability. He obviously has a lot of time to develop those skills but it is not a given.
pwayknicks
Lead Assistant
And1: 705

Post#96 » by pwayknicks » Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:07 am

He has to get stronger, especially lower body. This many seasons in not sure if it will happen though. Strong players are able to push him off his spot to easily and he’s not a dirk level shooter. Love kp but I don’t see him ever being more then a number 2/3. But he’s got luka hopefully he stays healthy.

The Knicks are BACK!!!!

Jlin + Melo + Stat + Chandler....les go!

Trade Landry Fields ASAP!
Mr B
RealGM

Post#97 » by Mr B » Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:09 am

pwayknicks wrote:He has to get stronger, especially lower body. This many seasons in not sure if it will happen though. Strong players are able to push him off his spot to easily and he’s not a dirk level shooter. Love kp but I don’t see him ever being more then a number 2/3. But he’s got luka hopefully he stays healthy.

Big men, especially when they are over 7ft tall usually do not fully develop physically until their late 20’s. So he still has a few years to go.

GregOden
Starter
And1: 2,498

Post#98 » by GregOden » Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:17 am

JohnWillow wrote:I can spin it also like this.

Harden is shooting 38 %.

I'm not an advanced stats guy, but he's not playing well enough to help Houston propel the team into the contender.

36 and 8 sounds good but not at his efficiency. Yes he is coming back from dissapointing playoff perfomance year in and year out, but that can't be his excuse if this continues.

is he overrated? or do you think he's rights the ship?

*green font

Love you Houston fans.

Give him a little bit more time, I have not seen yet a player comeback from major injury right out of the gates playing like an all star talent, if this goes on to the 2nd half of the season, then we might have a problem.

Although Harden already has an existing rap that he can never get anywhere in the postseason because once the whistles stop blowing his inability to store at a high efficiency means his teams will always flame out in the playoffs.
prophet_of_rage
RealGM
And1: 6,614

Post#99 » by prophet_of_rage » Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:29 am

Porzingis isn't a first option guy and a 7'3 guy shooting 3s isn't the most efficient. More problematic is that he still isn't an above average rebounder. But his defensive value is still high. You need more scoring around him.

Sent from my SM-N970W using Tapatalk
ThatBoyNick
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,415

Post#100 » by ThatBoyNick » Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:48 am

Porzingis just turned 24 a couple of months ago, Luka is still 20. These guys are extremely young for how talented they are. They have 8+ years of prime left as a duo (if they stay Mavs), Luka probably will last into his mid 30's a star. No pressure for them to be great immediately, they can take their time to get it together.

Luka is super smart, super talented, Porzignis is literally the unicorn, they have one of the best coaches in the league, they have one of the best owners, the only thing that team has to worry about is keeping Luka and KP healthy.

Return to The General Board