ImageImageImage

Game 8: Sixers @ Nuggets - 9:00pm

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Sixerscan, Foshan, sixers hoops

76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,422

Re: Game 8: Sixers @ Nuggets - 9:00pm 

Post#341 » by 76ciology » Sat Nov 9, 2019 10:30 am

ankle420breaker wrote:Joel's attitude has noticeably changed since last season ended. He's my guy, but for whatever reason I had a bad feeling about him going into this season.

He looked like a different person out there tonight. His 'half interested' demeanor on the court is clear as day. This needs to be promptly addressed.

Sent from my SM-G970U using RealGM mobile app

I was about to post something similar the other day. I feel like he doesnt agree with the management’s decision of letting Jimmy go.

I feel deep inside, Biid wanted Jimmy over Ben. Because you can’t want both. It’s one or the other.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,704

Post#342 » by the_process » Sat Nov 9, 2019 11:01 am

76ciology wrote:
ankle420breaker wrote:Joel's attitude has noticeably changed since last season ended. He's my guy, but for whatever reason I had a bad feeling about him going into this season.

He looked like a different person out there tonight. His 'half interested' demeanor on the court is clear as day. This needs to be promptly addressed.

I was about to post something similar the other day. I feel like he doesnt agree with the management’s decision of letting Jimmy go.

I feel deep inside, Biid wanted Jimmy over Ben. Because you can’t want both. It’s one or the other.

Agreed. I think Jo also wanted Redick back. If Elton sought Jo’s point of view on the roster, then did the exact opposite, it could explain why Jo seems to be sulking.
eyeatoma
RealGM
And1: 11,015

Post#343 » by eyeatoma » Sat Nov 9, 2019 12:23 pm

He's probably upset about the decision, and Simmons not shooting is probably getting him annoyed, but you guys are probably grasping at straws a bit here. There will no doubt be frustrations with new members. It's only been 8 games. If he's still acting like this 50 games in the season then we have a problem. For now, I'll give it some time.
phillynative
General Manager
And1: 2,714

Post#344 » by phillynative » Sat Nov 9, 2019 12:32 pm

Tobias needs to stay agressive scoring the ball. Thats what he got paid the big bucks for. He started off aggresive and then tinkered off as the game went along. Embiid struggled, al and jrich were not scoring and ben was out.

You need more scoring output from tobi with all those things going on.
kuclas
General Manager
And1: 3,898

Post#345 » by kuclas » Sat Nov 9, 2019 12:42 pm

Al Horford needs a game off. 4 days of rest. He’s just been off. As players age. It’s hard to play every 2 days.

I hope sixers rest Horford on Sunday.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#346 » by 76ciology » Sat Nov 9, 2019 1:11 pm

the_process wrote:
76ciology wrote:

Agreed. I think Jo also wanted Redick back. If Elton sought Jo’s point of view on the roster, then did the exact opposite, it could explain why Jo seems to be sulking.

Not redick. But Jimmy. Same guy who didnt fit with Ben and the same guy who developed a nice 2 man game with Biid.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
ankle420breaker
General Manager
And1: 1,957

Post#347 » by ankle420breaker » Sat Nov 9, 2019 1:18 pm

76ciology wrote:

76ciology wrote:

I get the same feeling. It totally shines through on the court.... its like he's reluctantly trying. Joel could have a point, but he needs to be a pro and come to terms with it. He's lucky management at least committed to surrounding him with talent.... Iverson never had that luxury.

Definitely concerning that our two best players have both underwhelmed to start the season.

76ciology
RealGM

Post#348 » by 76ciology » Sat Nov 9, 2019 2:38 pm

ankle420breaker wrote:
76ciology wrote:

76ciology wrote:

I get the same feeling. It totally shines through on the court.... its like he's reluctantly trying. Joel could have a point, but he needs to be a pro and come to terms with it. He's lucky management at least committed to surrounding him with talent.... Iverson never had that luxury.

Definitely concerning that our two best players have both underwhelmed to start the season.

Back to my point. That “Biid is my guy”, Biid tagging Jimmy in his fight with KAT and the “drama” Butler referred to that lead to him leaving the Sixers left some breadcrumbs for me.

Anyway.. Ben should have an alpha mentality, like what Kobe is to shaq. And turn this into an opportunity. Show the team who’s the better alpha which should also challenge Biid. Right now, I find Biid to be an immature spoiled superstar. And this will be worse if not managed correctly.
Bum Adebayo
General Manager
And1: 4,000

Post#349 » by Bum Adebayo » Sat Nov 9, 2019 2:47 pm

lol give me a break with "ancillary bigman" BS. I already explained that you can build around a traditional bigman, the idea that you can only build around perimeter offense is BS. What happens is Embiid is not good enough on offense, that's it. His scoring averages and TS% are inflated due to him drawing fouls at a very high rate, but his offensive game when he can't bully ball or when he is not good at recognizing double teams is just fairly mediocre.
Embiid never cracked 20 points in a single game in college, then proceeded to average 20PPG in rookie season, he had to carry the scoring load from the beginning, in NBA it is easier for him to score most of the time because it is easier to draw fouls, more spacing and so on. But we have overrated his offense. He should not be the 1st option on offense, he is a defensive beast that should be the 2nd or 3rd option on offense.
Horrible takes since 2016
youngcrev
RealGM
And1: 8,446

Post#350 » by youngcrev » Sat Nov 9, 2019 2:50 pm

Embiid clearly wanted Jimmy and JJ back. I think it's quite possible Ben wanted Jimmy gone due to what his role got reduced to in the playoffs. I don't see why you want to conflate these two things into Jo wanted Jimmy over Ben.
youngcrev
RealGM

Post#351 » by youngcrev » Sat Nov 9, 2019 3:10 pm

Bum Adebayo wrote:lol give me a break with "ancillary bigman" BS. I already explained that you can build around a traditional bigman, the idea that you can only build around perimeter offense is BS. What happens is Embiid is not good enough on offense, that's it. His scoring averages and TS% are inflated due to him drawing fouls at a very high rate, but his offensive game when he can't bully ball or when he is not good at recognizing double teams is just fairly mediocre.

Because getting to the line and putting opposing centers in foul trouble is a bad thing? That's like saying Steph Curry's TS% is inflated by all those 3 point shots he takes. Yeah... and?
phillynative
General Manager

Post#352 » by phillynative » Sat Nov 9, 2019 3:11 pm

Maybe he just wanted to run it back. The offense was clearly better last year.
ProcessDoctor
RealGM
And1: 5,183

Post#353 » by ProcessDoctor » Sat Nov 9, 2019 3:23 pm

I'm pretty sure Ben wanted Jimmy back, too. He started the whole "run it back" thing IIRC.
2023-2024 Philadelphia 76ers:

Lowry/Melton/Payne
Maxey/Hield/Downtin
Batum/Oubre/Council
Harris/Covington/Martin
Embiid/Reed/Bamba
VDT
Analyst
And1: 2,106

Post#354 » by VDT » Sat Nov 9, 2019 3:33 pm

youngcrev wrote:
Bum Adebayo wrote:lol give me a break with "ancillary bigman" BS. I already explained that you can build around a traditional bigman, the idea that you can only build around perimeter offense is BS. What happens is Embiid is not good enough on offense, that's it. His scoring averages and TS% are inflated due to him drawing fouls at a very high rate, but his offensive game when he can't bully ball or when he is not good at recognizing double teams is just fairly mediocre.

Because getting to the line and putting opposing centers in foul trouble is a bad thing? That's like saying Steph Curry's TS% is inflated by all those 3 point shots he takes. Yeah... and?

He is not wrong though that Embiid is at his best when he can dominate his opponent physically. Trying to blow by the defender might work 1v1 but in a team setting he is going to turn it over a lot. My hot take is that he should stop training with Hanlen. Him trying to iso from the three point line is absurd at his size.

Instead he desperately needs to improve his hook shot and have this as his go to move. He also needs to make his move faster.

Still it is very early, i would wait at least 20-30 games in order to get a clear picture if this team. It's not like the other contenders are killing it.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#355 » by 76ciology » Sat Nov 9, 2019 3:33 pm

We should have won the game.
1.) biid’s swipe on Milsap should have not been called a foul
2.) sure Biid pushed Jokic but jokic hooked Biid, that should be a wash and not be called for a foul.

Dont forget these two facts.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#356 » by 76ciology » Sat Nov 9, 2019 3:37 pm

youngcrev wrote:Embiid clearly wanted Jimmy and JJ back. I think it's quite possible Ben wanted Jimmy gone due to what his role got reduced to in the playoffs. I don't see why you want to conflate these two things into Jo wanted Jimmy over Ben.

Like I said, it’s Jimmy or Ben. Even Jimmy tried to sabotage the offense by passing up perimeter shots and being a lot more aggressive when he’s running the 2 man game.

Jimmy-Biid PnR had a lot of upside IMO. The thing missing there was Al Horford replacing Ben. I mean, if we had Al instead of Ben last year, I’m pretty sure we’d be champions.

If you want Ben, then you wouldnt want Butler back.
youngcrev
RealGM

Post#357 » by youngcrev » Sat Nov 9, 2019 4:46 pm

VDT wrote:
youngcrev wrote:

He is not wrong though that Embiid is at his best when he can dominate his opponent physically. Trying to blow by the defender might work 1v1 but in a team setting he is going to turn it over a lot. My hot take is that he should stop training with Hanlen. Him trying to iso from the three point line is absurd at his size.

Instead he desperately needs to improve his hook shot and have this as his go to move. He also needs to make his move faster.

Still it is very early, i would wait at least 20-30 games in order to get a clear picture if this team. It's not like the other contenders are killing it.

Sure, but it's still odd to talk about his ability to draw fouls as though it's a bad thing. He's the best post scorer in basketball. So far this year he's shooting 62% on his post up attempts and getting fouled a ridiculous 35.3% of the time. He drives me crazy sometimes (I was yelling at the TV last night when he got Murray switched on him 2 straight possessions and was still standing at the top of the key). He's still not great at recognizing double teams, though he's considerably better than he was IMO. Turns the ball over too much in general. Too much of a ball stopper at times.
youngcrev
RealGM

Post#358 » by youngcrev » Sat Nov 9, 2019 4:47 pm

76ciology wrote:We should have won the game.
1.) biid’s swipe on Milsap should have not been called a foul
2.) sure Biid pushed Jokic but jokic hooked Biid, that should be a wash and not be called for a foul.

Dont forget these two facts.

It shouldn't have come down to that, but that was absolute BS
phillynative
General Manager

Post#359 » by phillynative » Sat Nov 9, 2019 4:50 pm

I dont see where it was a ben vs jimmy thing. I thought it was more jimmy vs tobi.
brannigan73
Rookie
And1: 600

Post#360 » by brannigan73 » Sat Nov 9, 2019 5:20 pm

It was Jimmy versus the coach who hated him. Its all on Brand and the coach now. I don't see how this offense works against the elite d's at least this year. Ben will play better but its pretty obvious to me he didnt make the big jump they were hoping for. Tobi was never worth 30+ million and will never be worth 30 + million and is not a guy you can ride in crunch time or can create well for others. So Ben becomes a reliable crunch time scorer in the half court or we wont win a title ever with the core of this roster I really believe it comes down to that. Held Utah and Denver to low 100's and still couldnt eek out enough points to win.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers