Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Sixerscan, Foshan, sixers hoops

Mik317
RealGM
And1: 17,800

Re: Brett Brown needs to go why? 

Post#21 » by Mik317 » Fri Nov 8, 2019 7:27 pm

Probably.

won't be during the season tho.

Again I get that people are upset but any major change that would lead to us winning a chip, probably will have to happen in the offseason after failure. No new coach is going to put in a new system on the fly...and it would probably Idoka anyway.
#NeverGonnaBeGood
eyeatoma
RealGM
And1: 11,111

Post#22 » by eyeatoma » Fri Nov 8, 2019 8:33 pm

nurseryc wrote:
eyeatoma wrote:
nurseryc wrote:

Eyeatoma, if you were coach and Simmons refused to shoot, what would you do?

Probably something similar. But I wouldn't have waited this long. I would probably have given him a month from his rookie debut and told him he needs to take 8 shots a game (2 per quarter - one of them needs to be a 3 - so 4 3's a game). I also would have told him to switch his hands. If he didn't I would have benched him. Benching a rookie is very different than benching an all-star. His ego would have probably been hurt a bit, but not the same as if it happened now. If he's benched now, it becomes a massive spectacle. i also don't think it'll ever happen give that this team has championship aspirations, and benching him will only cause a mood of negativity and a media spectacle.

Agree. Need a new coach. Simmons game hasn’t developed in 4, yes 4 yrs. we need a new freaken coach
It would be the same issue with another coach. The time has passed to force him to shoot. It's on him now.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
youngcrev
RealGM
And1: 8,463

Post#23 » by youngcrev » Fri Nov 8, 2019 9:19 pm

NoDopeOnSundays wrote:His flat out refusal to run some PnR from top of the key is one of the reasons I'd fire him, and it's probably why Butler didn't want to stay.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using RealGM mobile app

With who?

I think there's an argument to put Tobias in those situations a couple more times per game than he is... but other than that? I don't think I want Richardson running it anymore than he actually does. If Burke was good enough to see the floor he'd be an option. Maybe he'll get a shot with Ben out.
Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,104

Post#24 » by Kobblehead » Fri Nov 8, 2019 10:49 pm

Brett Brown has to go because he's an inconsequential coach, at best and a detrimental coach, at worst.

That said, the Simmons stuff can't be put on Brown. If Ben doesn't want to be exceptional, that's on him, alone. Besides, coaches get paid a fraction of money that players do. They don't have any real authority.
VDT
Analyst
And1: 2,106

Post#25 » by VDT » Fri Nov 8, 2019 11:04 pm

Negrodamus wrote:
VDT wrote:
Negrodamus wrote:
I do think Brown should get some of the blame, especially for the commitment to Ben Simmons as the point guard since he walked through the door. He should be Draymond Green's role at most on offense.

Yes, but giving him the ball is the only way to make him a star, the same way that Giannis went from a roleplayer to mvp when he was given the ball to create. As the first overall pick, the team and the coach would (and should) not accept that he is a roleplayer. Brown playing him as pg gave him him the best opportunity to become a star and justify his draft position. I cant really fault him for that, if he hadnt done that people would be complaining much more.

Right, but Giannis could be projected as at least a threat to shoot a three. He is also taller and longer than Ben.

Ben in college shot three 3 pointers (if my memory serves me) and would only finish with his right hand. There were plenty of red flags coming into the league, especially as the de facto point guard. If he wanted to be point guard, he should have had to earn it by showing any progression as a shooter.

Yea, to me his path to (super)stardom is becoming a Giannis with somewhat worse finishing and defense but better court vision. He was never going to be your typical pg as i doubt he will become a good shooter, but if he could become more dominant around the rim he could score more and create open shots for his teammates. The fit with Embiid will always be awkward but if Simmons could reach that level we could win by out-talenting teams.

To me the biggest red flag is not the shooting but the fact that his unable to physically overwhelm his defender. If he cant be dominant around the rim i dont see a path for him to become a genuine star in the league. At the same time i understand what the team is doing. If you put him at pf and take the ball off his hands you will be paying max money to a non rim protecting, non shooting pf roleplayer. If Simmons doesnt have the ball his skillset doesnt look very appealing especially given his contract.
NoDopeOnSundays
RealGM
And1: 41,247

Post#26 » by NoDopeOnSundays » Fri Nov 8, 2019 11:04 pm

youngcrev wrote:
NoDopeOnSundays wrote:His flat out refusal to run some PnR from top of the key is one of the reasons I'd fire him, and it's probably why Butler didn't want to stay.

With who?

I think there's an argument to put Tobias in those situations a couple more times per game than he is... but other than that? I don't think I want Richardson running it anymore than he actually does. If Burke was good enough to see the floor he'd be an option. Maybe he'll get a shot with Ben out.

Harris was a very good PnR ball handler with the Clippers, and Horford is one of the best PnR partners in the league, yet I didn't see them run a single one between the two after Ben went out. Almost all of the picks I see set are on the wing too, they almost never run your standard top of the key pick for the ball handler even when Simmons is out, it's really confusing to be honest.
VDT
Analyst
And1: 2,106

Post#27 » by VDT » Fri Nov 8, 2019 11:13 pm

NoDopeOnSundays wrote:
youngcrev wrote:

With who?

Harris was a very good PnR ball handler with the Clippers, and Horford is one of the best PnR partners in the league, yet I didn't see them run a single one between the two after Ben went out. Almost all of the picks I see set are on the wing too, they almost never run your standard top of the key pick for the ball handler even when Simmons is out, it's really confusing to be honest.

Tobias is not a good pnr ballhandler though. His handles are suspect, his vision almost non existent and his athleticism mediocre. He might be ok to run pnr here and there on a treadmill team to get a semi open mid range shot but at higher levels of play where he will be scouted and given different options off the pnr i think he will look bad.
NoDopeOnSundays
RealGM

Post#28 » by NoDopeOnSundays » Fri Nov 8, 2019 11:46 pm

VDT wrote:
NoDopeOnSundays wrote:
youngcrev wrote:
With who?

Tobias is not a good pnr ballhandler though. His handles are suspect, his vision almost non existent and his athleticism mediocre. He might be ok to run pnr here and there on a treadmill team to get a semi open mid range shot but at higher levels of play where he will be scouted and given different options off the pnr i think he will look bad.

I disagree, Harris was a very good PnR scorer before he was traded to the Sixers, it's Brown's system that is stifling him. Doc's offense just put him in better position to score and fit his strengths as a shooter and a scorer, the Clippers were a playoff team when they traded him, so it's not like he was doing this on a bad team -

Tobias Harris is not just a good shooter. He’s a great shooter. Pop quiz: How many players have made more 3-pointers over the last two seasons and at a higher rate than Harris (295 3s at a 42.0-percent clip)?

The answer is just two: Stephen Curry (427 3-pointers on 43.7 percent) and Buddy Hield (359 3-pointers on 44.5 percent). That’s how good Harris is from beyond the arc. And he’s shooting north of 50 percent from the corners, where the 76ers need help.

Don’t minimize him as just a shooter. Harris is a huge body at 6-foot-9 and 235 pounds who can run a pick-and-roll and run in transition. Among the 36 players with at least 250 finishing plays as the pick-and-roll ball-handler, only seven players were more efficient than Harris, according to Synergy tracking. He ranks a smidge ahead of Kevin Durant and just below LeBron James and Kawhi Leonard. Harris is not as good as Durant or nearly as consistent, but Paul George may be the only superior Durant proxy in the league.

When a player has seen such a serious drop off in their shooting percentages you can put that on coaching, it's not the same quality of look despite playing with more talented players. Brown does not run top of the key PnR like every other team in the league, he runs it from the wings so his guys can drive middle or they can post Embiid. The stark difference between how often the Jazz went to it and how little the Sixers did it in that game should have highlighted it.

Last year with the Clippers Harris averaged 5.2ppg and .99 points per possession as the ball handler with the Clippers, with the Sixers he's averaging 2.1ppg and .68 points per possession as the ball handler. He only does it 17.2% of the time with the Sixers, with the Clippers he would run the play 26.6% of the time with far worse big men (Gortat, Zubac, Harrell) than any of the Sixers bigs.

You have the blame the coach for this, did we not see them almost completely avoid running PnR with Jimmy Butler until the playoffs?
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,055

Post#29 » by Sixerscan » Sat Nov 9, 2019 12:07 am

NoDopeOnSundays wrote:
VDT wrote:
NoDopeOnSundays wrote:

I disagree, Harris was a very good PnR scorer before he was traded to the Sixers, it's Brown's system that is stifling him. Doc's offense just put him in better position to score and fit his strengths as a shooter and a scorer, the Clippers were a playoff team when they traded him, so it's not like he was doing this on a bad team -

Tobias Harris is not just a good shooter. He’s a great shooter. Pop quiz: How many players have made more 3-pointers over the last two seasons and at a higher rate than Harris (295 3s at a 42.0-percent clip)?

The answer is just two: Stephen Curry (427 3-pointers on 43.7 percent) and Buddy Hield (359 3-pointers on 44.5 percent). That’s how good Harris is from beyond the arc. And he’s shooting north of 50 percent from the corners, where the 76ers need help.

Don’t minimize him as just a shooter. Harris is a huge body at 6-foot-9 and 235 pounds who can run a pick-and-roll and run in transition. Among the 36 players with at least 250 finishing plays as the pick-and-roll ball-handler, only seven players were more efficient than Harris, according to Synergy tracking. He ranks a smidge ahead of Kevin Durant and just below LeBron James and Kawhi Leonard. Harris is not as good as Durant or nearly as consistent, but Paul George may be the only superior Durant proxy in the league.

When a player has seen such a serious drop off in their shooting percentages you can put that on coaching, it's not the same quality of look despite playing with more talented players. Brown does not run top of the key PnR like every other team in the league, he runs it from the wings so his guys can drive middle or they can post Embiid. The stark difference between how often the Jazz went to it and how little the Sixers did it in that game should have highlighted it.

Last year with the Clippers Harris averaged 5.2ppg and .99 points per possession as the ball handler with the Clippers, with the Sixers he's averaging 2.1ppg and .68 points per possession as the ball handler. He only does it 17.2% of the time with the Sixers, with the Clippers he would run the play 26.6% of the time with far worse big men (Gortat, Zubac, Harrell) than any of the Sixers bigs.

You have the blame the coach for this, did we not see them almost completely avoid running PnR with Jimmy Butler until the playoffs?

Sixers had a better offense than the Clippers last year, as did the Warriors and Bucks many other teams that don't feature pick and roll very much. People are just taking it as a given that running lots of P&Rs = good offense and that's not necessarily the case. In fact last year there was a pretty obvious inverse correlation between running lots of pick and roll and playoff success.

That's great that Harris averaged .99 PPP as a P&R ball handler as a Clipper, he averaged 1.05 on post ups as a Clipper. He's at 1.06 this year on post ups as a Sixer. He's at 1.07 on handoffs. He's 1.46 off screens. He's 2.00 (!) on cuts. There's other ways to create good offense besides putting someone at the top of the key and running a two man game.
NoDopeOnSundays
RealGM

Post#30 » by NoDopeOnSundays » Sat Nov 9, 2019 12:11 am

Sixerscan wrote:
NoDopeOnSundays wrote:
VDT wrote:

Sixers had a better offense than the Clippers last year, as did the Warriors and Bucks many other teams that don't feature pick and roll very much. People are just taking it as a given that running lots of P&Rs = good offense and that's not necessarily the case.

That's great that Harris averaged .99 PPP as a P&R ball handler as a Clipper, he averaged 1.05 on post ups as a Clipper. He's at 1.06 this year on post ups as a Sixer. He's at 1.07 on handoffs. He's 1.46 off screens. He's 2.00 (!) on cuts. There's other ways to create good offense besides putting someone at the top of the key and running a two man game.

The two man game from the top of the key is the bread and butter play for the entire league, it would also help to get Embiid or Horford some easier looks. You put more pressure on the defense that way, it's why so many teams run it and a Harris / Embiid play could lead to mismatches where the SF/PF switches onto Embiid which is an automatic 2 or and 1.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,055

Post#31 » by Sixerscan » Sat Nov 9, 2019 12:23 am

NoDopeOnSundays wrote:
Sixerscan wrote:
NoDopeOnSundays wrote:

Sixers had a better offense than the Clippers last year, as did the Warriors and Bucks many other teams that don't feature pick and roll very much. People are just taking it as a given that running lots of P&Rs = good offense and that's not necessarily the case.

The two man game from the top of the key is the bread and butter play for the entire league, it would also help to get Embiid or Horford some easier looks. You put more pressure on the defense that way, it's why so many teams run it and a Harris / Embiid play could lead to mismatches where the SF/PF switches onto Embiid which is an automatic 2 or and 1.

It's not, though. Like the Rockets have the 3rd best offense in the league so far and they run it the 29th most. The Bucks have the best offense and they are 28th. The Lakers are 27th. Some teams run it a lot (Clippers, Blazers, Jazz, Nets) some don't. I gave that stat a few pages ago that the 7 teams (all but the Blazers) that ran the fewest P&Rs in the playoffs all won playoff rounds. It's not a systematic thing.
rzzzzz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,693

Post#32 » by rzzzzz » Sat Nov 9, 2019 12:52 am

so, are we happy with the offense? last season, was the offense better or worse after Jimmy made noise and we ran more PnR and isolations? (admittedly, featuring Jimmy, so that option is no longer available.) yeah, it's way early, and regardless of the moans and groans from some fans, there will be plenty of time to allow the offense to gel. but the effectiveness of the offense with this level of talent (we have some serious talent) ultimately is the coach's responsibility.
Simmons25
Analyst
And1: 2,235

Post#33 » by Simmons25 » Sat Nov 9, 2019 1:13 am

The only thing I will put on Brett Brown in regards to Ben is that he hasn't designed plays for him to shoot. BB can say all he wants in the media that he wants Simmons to shoot but unless you draw plays up for him he won't.

But at the end of the day Simmons lack of shooting is not Brett's fault. It's Ben's fault.

7 games into the season and haven't seen Ben take one single legitimate jumper yet (None of this turnaround fade-away crap). Unfortunately for Brett he is going to end up dying on the same hill as Simmons... and that is now by choice... because I tell you what if I was coach there is no way I would have been ok with this. I would have told him to take 3 shots a game or expect to be playing from the bench.
youngcrev
RealGM

Post#34 » by youngcrev » Sat Nov 9, 2019 1:33 am

NoDopeOnSundays wrote:
youngcrev wrote:

With who?

On the most pick and roll heavy team in the league he was getting 2 extra possessions out of the pick and roll than he is now. It's not like he was some pick and roll monster. Just because his PPP were high by league standards in those possessions doesn't mean a ton. The more efficient shot is always going to be for the roll man, and he doesn't really have the ball handling or passing to get you a great look consistently.

I'm good with getting him a few more looks in those actions to try and get him more involved, but I don't think it's a go-to kind of option.

Al feels more like a pick and pop kind of guy.
brannigan73
Rookie
And1: 609

Post#35 » by brannigan73 » Sat Nov 9, 2019 6:08 am

rzzzzz wrote:Elton had two paths to pick from this summer, and he chose to reassemble a roster around Brett. BUT Brett only gets this next year to finally prove himself. Win or come close to a title, or demonstrate some significant development with Ben and other talent, and he'll stay on. Otherwise, it's much more constructive to hire a new coach than strip down trades.

This is Brown's roster. He pushed Jimmy out the door. Thats Sixer's mythology that they offered him the full max. They did not. Woj said they didn't and Jimmy said they didn't. If they dont get to at least the ECF finals and push Milwaukee to 6 or 7 games they need to move on from this guy. He refuses to adapt to personnel still not doing enough pick and rolls still doing a lot of dribble hand offs despite not having JJ any more. Its Brown that thinks you can score in the half court against set d's late in games with a center being asked to score or make passes for others to score when it hasnt worked particularly well in the past (see jojo against Celtics and Toronto in playoffs last 2 years) Im getting tired of this guy's act. He is a nice person but that doesnt mean he is a great coach. I feel like Doc Rivers, Brad Stevens, Steve Kerr, Greg Poppovich guys like that would never lose a game where they had a 19 point lead in the fourth quarter. To score 13 points in a quarter is that a joke? 17 would have won the game lol. I have a feeling we are going to see stuff like that all year against the better defensive teams unless Ben plays a lot better.
phillynative
General Manager
And1: 2,735

Post#36 » by phillynative » Sat Nov 9, 2019 12:35 pm

Ben still doesnt shoot when open and Embiid takes ill advised shots every game. He is either losing the locker room or never had it.
rzzzzz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,693

Post#37 » by rzzzzz » Sat Nov 9, 2019 1:35 pm

Maybe we can send Brett down to G league to,work on his coaching and brink back Zhaire, to give some time to solidify his 3 ball w/o giving up anything on the defensive end.
youngcrev
RealGM

Post#38 » by youngcrev » Sat Nov 9, 2019 2:29 pm

brannigan73 wrote:
rzzzzz wrote:Elton had two paths to pick from this summer, and he chose to reassemble a roster around Brett. BUT Brett only gets this next year to finally prove himself. Win or come close to a title, or demonstrate some significant development with Ben and other talent, and he'll stay on. Otherwise, it's much more constructive to hire a new coach than strip down trades.

This is Brown's roster. He pushed Jimmy out the door. Thats Sixer's mythology that they offered him the full max. They did not. Woj said they didn't and Jimmy said they didn't. If they dont get to at least the ECF finals and push Milwaukee to 6 or 7 games they need to move on from this guy. He refuses to adapt to personnel still not doing enough pick and rolls still doing a lot of dribble hand offs despite not having JJ any more. Its Brown that thinks you can score in the half court against set d's late in games with a center being asked to score or make passes for others to score when it hasnt worked particularly well in the past (see jojo against Celtics and Toronto in playoffs last 2 years) Im getting tired of this guy's act. He is a nice person but that doesnt mean he is a great coach. I feel like Doc Rivers, Brad Stevens, Steve Kerr, Greg Poppovich guys like that would never lose a game where they had a 19 point lead in the fourth quarter. To score 13 points in a quarter is that a joke? 17 would have won the game lol. I have a feeling we are going to see stuff like that all year against the better defensive teams unless Ben plays a lot better.

I'm not sure what database exists that I could search that specific criteria, but I'd guess all of those guys have had similar collapses. The top search result for "celtics 4th quarter collapse" shows a game last year where they blew an 18 point lead to Charlotte with 8:22 left in the game. It's not that rare now. Seems like big leads disappear all the time with the higher pace and increase in 3 pointers. We were on the reverse end of a big comeback in Portland like a week ago. Doesn't make the loss any less frustrating, but just saying...

As for the not adjusting to personnel, I don't think that's true. They aren't running a bunch of pick and rolls, but their personnel doesn't really suggest they should IMO (unless Trey is out there). They're not running as many handoffs as they were last year either. They have a giant team, and as such, have lead the league in post ups by a huge margin. I don't love forcing the post as much as they have, but it's definitely not the same thing they were doing. It's been really clunky at times (particularly that 4th quarter last night), though I also think clunkiness is built right into that lineup. But as you said, this is his roster. I'm sure he'd prefer to have more shooting out there, but it's not like he didn't have input with putting the team together.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,509

Post#39 » by 76ciology » Sat Nov 9, 2019 3:08 pm

I dont think there’s an available coach out there who can do a better job than Brown. With regards to unavailable coaches, they are only a few.

In the end of the day, it’s like he’s given a first class yacht for formula 1 racing. Hard to win with a PG who cant shoot and a center who turns the ball over on like 1/3 of his possessions.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
DaSixers
Pro Prospect
And1: 227

Post#40 » by DaSixers » Sat Nov 9, 2019 3:44 pm

Its baffling people keep defending this clown coach. But hey, it is what it is. We will see how long you guys since this tune when we exit the playoffs earlier than anticipated again this year

Return to Philadelphia 76ers