Harrell Free Agency

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

How much will Harrell get this summer?

Max ($25.5 mil as <6 years)
7%
Top level between 20-25 million
41%
Good level between 17-20 million
34%
Not worth over 17 as a bench guy
18%

Total votes: 102

LakersSoul
Head Coach
And1: 4,486

Harrell Free Agency 

Post#1 » by LakersSoul » Sat Nov 9, 2019 1:27 pm

I think Harrell is a stud and at such high efficiency. Harrell’s only weakness is lack of 3 shooting and FTs. He is a stud on defense and rebounding too. How much will Harrell get during FA? How much would you pay him?

"Westy, LeBron + AD to rule the West.
Return of the King, the Lakers."
VanWest82
RealGM
And1: 17,554

Re: Harrell Free Agency 

Post#2 » by VanWest82 » Sat Nov 9, 2019 1:33 pm

He’s a tricky case because he can’t shoot, doesn’t play make well enough to be a number one option, and isn’t big enough to be an every day big man. How much is a guy like that worth?

Obviously he’s a spectacular bench player. He’s worth whatever the max is that you should pay a bench player. If he ever figures out how to shoot or develops point guard skills he’ll be worth a lot. Until then he’s just a really tricky piece that probably can’t start on a lot of teams.

Edit: Cavs might go after him. TT comes off the books next year and I could see them pursuing Harrell in a misguided attempt to compete. He’d fit reasonably well next to Love save for a few obvious match ups.
timO
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,400

Post#3 » by timO » Sat Nov 9, 2019 1:34 pm

65/4
Bologna Smasher
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,180

Post#4 » by Bologna Smasher » Sat Nov 9, 2019 2:02 pm

He's going to get something similar to what Sabonis got. He's someone I had hoped the Kings would target. It's too bad they jumped the gun on re-signing Barnes for so much. Even though I like some of the guys we brought in (Dedmon & Joseph), signing role players for that much is a bit problematic too. Never liked the Ariza signing, but at least he's non-guaranteed.
LakersSoul
Head Coach

Post#5 » by LakersSoul » Sat Nov 9, 2019 2:07 pm

Bologna Smasher wrote:He's going to get something similar to what Sabonis got. He's someone I had hoped the Kings would target. It's too bad they jumped the gun on re-signing Barnes for so much. Even though I like some of the guys we brought in (Dedmon & Joseph), signing role players for that much is a bit problematic too. Never liked the Ariza signing, but at least he's non-guaranteed.

Sabonis was a bargain at $20 million per.
Jaylen signed for almost $29 million per as a dumb overpay by Ainge.

Where would you rank Harrell?

Bologna Smasher
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,180

Post#6 » by Bologna Smasher » Sat Nov 9, 2019 2:15 pm

LakersSoul wrote:
Bologna Smasher wrote:He's going to get something similar to what Sabonis got. He's someone I had hoped the Kings would target. It's too bad they jumped the gun on re-signing Barnes for so much. Even though I like some of the guys we brought in (Dedmon & Joseph), signing role players for that much is a bit problematic too. Never liked the Ariza signing, but at least he's non-guaranteed.

Sabonis was a bargain at $20 million per.
Jaylen signed for almost $29 million per as a dumb overpay by Ainge.

Where would you rank Harrell?

I think Sabonis has/had higher value than Harrell, so if 20M is considered a bargain for him, someone is going to overpay or match that 20M easily on Harrell. With the crop of free agents available in the off-season, I can see him getting even more than 20M from a rising team. Other teams are going to be pointing out that Sabonis deal when negotiating with players in similar situations.

Jaylen Brown is a different case value wise. His skill set and potential is what inflated his price. The market on similar players was also a deciding factor. I made a post prior his extension that pretty much guaranteed he would get around the 30M simply because of the market for players like him (his current skill level and potential would bloat it even further).
alessandrux
Starter
And1: 2,239

Post#7 » by alessandrux » Sat Nov 9, 2019 2:24 pm

I have doubts that he can be an effective starter (in the sense that he contributes to winning/contending positively).
I think he is best suited as a sixth-man (and he is probably one of the best), which means I value him at best at 1/7 of the salary cap, which puts him at around starting 17-18/year.

I expect him to get slighty more (around 20-22/year), depending on the team(and their salary structure) that can still be good value.
TheNewEra
RealGM
And1: 10,409

Post#8 » by TheNewEra » Sat Nov 9, 2019 2:34 pm

Anything under 19per year should be fine
LakersSoul
Head Coach

Post#9 » by LakersSoul » Sat Nov 9, 2019 2:49 pm

With the lack of top FAs this summer, I can easily see Harrell getting 22million to Max contract.

Harrell’s FTs and rebound has been up trending and the guy is a great efficient player and a dog on defense. I see teams bidding him up and a couple of teams offering him the max with Harrell deciding where to go on a max contract, which is only $25 million.

Mamba4Goat
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 7,931

Post#10 » by Mamba4Goat » Sat Nov 9, 2019 3:04 pm

Who offers Harrell a big deal though? The small amount of teams that do have cap space he either doesn't fit well with (Atlanta) or they already have a long term solution at center.
Rest in peace Mamba. There'll never be another Kobe.
OkcSinceSGA
RealGM
And1: 29,487

Post#11 » by OkcSinceSGA » Sat Nov 9, 2019 4:33 pm

Mamba4Goat wrote:Who offers Harrell a big deal though? The small amount of teams that do have cap space he either doesn't fit well with (Atlanta) or they already have a long term solution at center.
If you're right, this will be a huge break like his free agency two years ago. Two years ago, he was restricted and very few teams has $. Combine with the fact that traditional bigs had super low value due to 2016 busts. So maybe we get lucky again and can keep him for 15 a year or something. Only takes one crazy team to offer 20+ though..

Sent from my LM-Q710(FGN) using RealGM mobile app
“This kid reminds me of a 6-6 Chris Paul. He wants to win everything.”

Olin Simplis- SGA’s trainer.
-G-
Analyst
And1: 2,122

Post#12 » by -G- » Sat Nov 9, 2019 4:34 pm

I feel like he takes slightly less to stay with the Clippers. I'd guess around 4 year/70.
-G-
Analyst

Post#13 » by -G- » Sat Nov 9, 2019 4:36 pm

Mamba4Goat wrote:Who offers Harrell a big deal though? The small amount of teams that do have cap space he either doesn't fit well with (Atlanta) or they already have a long term solution at center.

He doesn't fit well with Atlanta? What the hell? The guy is one of the best roll men in the game and part of one of the best best pick and roll duos in the league. Trae is one of the best pick and roll guys in the league. I repeat, what???
mademan
RealGM
And1: 28,082

Post#14 » by mademan » Sat Nov 9, 2019 4:39 pm

-G- wrote:I feel like he takes slightly less to stay with the Clippers. I'd guess around 4 year/70.

This might be his only contract he gets paid on. I dont see him taking any kind of discount. If some other team offers him 4/75 against that Clippers offer, i cant see him staying. 5 mill is 5 mill

And ya, dude would look amazing on Atlanta playing off of Trae. I actually like them to making him a big offer with all the RFA off the board
-G-
Analyst

Post#15 » by -G- » Sat Nov 9, 2019 4:41 pm

mademan wrote:
-G- wrote:I feel like he takes slightly less to stay with the Clippers. I'd guess around 4 year/70.

This might be his only contract he gets paid on. I dont see him taking any kind of discount. If some other team offers him 4/75 against that Clippers offer, i cant see him staying. 5 mill is 5 mill

I think the Clippers culture is real. We'll see. Taking a little less to be in a good situation is en vogue. Harrell strikes me as that kind of guy.
VanWest82
RealGM
And1: 17,554

Post#16 » by VanWest82 » Sat Nov 9, 2019 4:44 pm

-G- wrote:

He doesn't fit well with Atlanta? What the hell? The guy is one of the best roll men in the game and part of one of the best best pick and roll duos in the league. Trae is one of the best pick and roll guys in the league. I repeat, what???

Maybe some Hawks fans can chime in here but I think they really like Collins who’s a very similar player with arguably a much higher upside because he can shoot. It’s possible they could play together though I don’t think either is big enough to start at center in the east.
macNcheese3
RealGM
And1: 6,915

Post#17 » by macNcheese3 » Sat Nov 9, 2019 4:51 pm

VanWest82 wrote:He’s a tricky case because he can’t shoot, doesn’t play make well enough to be a number one option, and isn’t big enough to be an every day big man. How much is a guy like that worth?

Obviously he’s a spectacular bench player. He’s worth whatever the max is that you should pay a bench player. If he ever figures out how to shoot or develops point guard skills he’ll be worth a lot. Until then he’s just a really tricky piece that probably can’t start on a lot of teams.

Unfortunately, the max is dished out like candy these days. Agree, with you that he can’t extend his range.
Saberestar
RealGM
And1: 14,635

Post#18 » by Saberestar » Sat Nov 9, 2019 5:56 pm

$80M / 4 years.
GG0701
Junior
And1: 207

Post#19 » by GG0701 » Sat Nov 9, 2019 6:16 pm

I feel like there’s this big misconception that Harell is a great defender. He’s not. I wouldn’t say he’s bad but he can’t anchor a defense. Lou and Shamet don’t help but I’m unsure if he could do it even if you replaced them with good defenders.
Dr Spaceman
General Manager
And1: 11,205

Post#20 » by Dr Spaceman » Sat Nov 9, 2019 6:19 pm

GG0701 wrote:I feel like there’s this big misconception that Harell is a great defender. He’s not. I wouldn’t say he’s bad but he can’t anchor a defense. Lou and Shamet don’t help but I’m unsure if he could do it even if you replaced them with good defenders.

Really? I thought it was pretty common knowledge he is a negative defensive player.

Offense is what teams pay for to be frank. Specifically scoring.
“I’m not the fastest guy on the court, but I can dictate when the race begins.”

Return to The General Board