ImageImageImageImageImage

Around the NFL Thread

Moderators: CalamityX12, MHSL82

ChrisPozz
RealGM
And1: 450

Re: Around the NFL Thread 

Post#6021 » by ChrisPozz » Thu Nov 7, 2019 9:19 pm

ChrisPozz wrote:https://nypost.com/2019/11/07/stephen-a-smith-rakes-in-almost-8m-per-year-on-new-espn-megadeal/?utm_source=twitter_sitebuttons&utm_medium=site%20buttons&utm_campaign=site%20buttons

Not going to get started on this topic.

one thing that can’t be denied is that he works hard.

I read this part in the article and I just can't help myself. Hard, ok. I know you can find a solid majority that will echo this. Working smart? I can DEFINITELY make a case against it. I'll spare people that rant, though.
ChrisPozz
RealGM

Post#6022 » by ChrisPozz » Thu Nov 7, 2019 9:22 pm

ChrisPozz wrote:
ChrisPozz wrote:https://nypost.com/2019/11/07/stephen-a-smith-rakes-in-almost-8m-per-year-on-new-espn-megadeal/?utm_source=twitter_sitebuttons&utm_medium=site%20buttons&utm_campaign=site%20buttons

Not going to get started on this topic.

one thing that can’t be denied is that he works hard.

I read this part in the article and I just can't help myself. Hard, ok. I know you can find a solid majority that will echo this. Working smart? I can DEFINITELY make a case against it. I'll spare people that rant, though.

ESPN is expected to have interest in Romo for “Monday Night Football,” and Romo could try to eclipse John Madden’s record for an NFL analyst of $8 million. Before Jon Gruden left ESPN for the Raiders, he reportedly made $6.5 million to do Monday nights. Romo’s contract talks will accelerate after the NFL season.

On the non Stephen A. front. If this gets Booger off the mic, PAY HIM WHATEVER YOU HAVE TO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Whether it's Romo that replaces him or not, get ALMOST anyone to replace Booger. It's gotten soooooooo bad. And I was probably later to join the party against him than others. Not that I was ever an advocate for him. I just wasn't a HARD for or against until early this season.
ChrisPozz
RealGM

Post#6023 » by ChrisPozz » Thu Nov 7, 2019 9:29 pm

ChrisPozz
RealGM

Post#6024 » by ChrisPozz » Thu Nov 7, 2019 10:15 pm

With Cris Carter Out At Fox Sports, What’s Next For First Things First?
https://frntofficesport.com/cris-carter-out-fox/
CrimsonCrew
RealGM
And1: 939

Post#6025 » by CrimsonCrew » Thu Nov 7, 2019 10:35 pm

ChrisPozz wrote:Bengals' A.J. Green has setback, out indefinitely
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/28029216/bengals-aj-green-setback-indefinitely

Does this mean it's finally time to drop him in fantasy? As soon as I got him relatively early in our auction, I thought to myself, "That seems like a bad decision." I then watched Kupp, Godwin, and Golladay go within a $2 range ($200 budget), and thought to myself (and remarked aloud), "That Green pick was really f-ing dumb." Ugh. Still in first place, somehow, but I was really hoping Green's return would put me over the top in the playoffs. And help out Mixon, who is presently residing on my bench and my other big draft day regret.
ChrisPozz
RealGM

Post#6026 » by ChrisPozz » Thu Nov 7, 2019 10:55 pm

CrimsonCrew wrote:
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/28029216/bengals-aj-green-setback-indefinitely

Does this mean it's finally time to drop him in fantasy? As soon as I got him relatively early in our auction, I thought to myself, "That seems like a bad decision." I then watched Kupp, Godwin, and Golladay go within a $2 range ($200 budget), and thought to myself (and remarked aloud), "That Green pick was really f-ing dumb." Ugh. Still in first place, somehow, but I was really hoping Green's return would put me over the top in the playoffs. And help out Mixon, who is presently residing on my bench and my other big draft day regret.

Currently faced with a similar situation in one of my 3 leagues (the shallowest of the 3 leagues I'm in in terms of depth of roster and bench). Drafted him in Rd. 7 (about where many thought he should go) thinking I could make up for his absence in later rounds since this was the most casual league I'm in where other teams are not super into fantasy football.

Doesn't help that this was BY FAR my worst draft board set up that I've had in 14 years of doing fantasy football so not having him REALLY has hurt more than it usually would have since a very high % of players I drafted (in all my leagues) have been bit by the injury bug big time.

I was checking it today and I'm probably going to wait another week before I probably abandon the ship. There isn't a lot left out there in FA that I feel like I need to act on right now that would do much for me anyway so hopefully something looks better next week somehow but it's probably just going to be another fantasy football wound that lingers for me. Worst year I've ever had across the board.

Coincidentally, I used the SAME draft board to help (basically drafted for him) my younger brother out - also in a shallower league than some others you see - and he's having the best year he's ever had thus far. Really where his weaknesses are, are due to the same guys that got me in the other leagues but I just so happened to have quite a few more hits in his league than I've had in any of mine. Makes me think that I was very close to having another solid year in the other leagues and that I just missed out on having a far better year by a couple of slots on my draft board, which I followed closely with my drafts.
ChrisPozz
RealGM

Post#6027 » by ChrisPozz » Fri Nov 8, 2019 4:26 am

I am fascinated by what Matt Breida's next contract is going to be vs. what Austin Ekeler's next contract is going to be. Both are RFAs after this year.

I've speculated that Breida might ask for $4M-$5M/year and I would be a hard pass against giving him that. I based that around the Giovani Bernard/Dion Lewis contracts that they recently received. Maybe I'll be proven wrong on that.

Austin Ekeler is tougher to guesstimate for me. I think he probably can get well more than that. Or maybe at least argue he should get more than that.

McKinnon got $7.5M/year when he became available, and while I think that got to be a bit of a weird situation in terms of the 49ers and Jets bidding against each other, I would wonder if that's closer to Ekeler's floor or his ceiling on his next deal.

I'm not in love with the idea of extending Breida for anywhere around that or pursuing Ekeler for around my speculative range but I'll be curious to see what these two get on their next deals when you compare them against each other.

I would be a more excited bidder on Ekeler but I don't know if I would ever get to the point where I'd be the highest bidder on Ekeler - in part because I'm so picky with RBs and with my scouting eye I feel like I don't necessarily need to bid too carelessly with a veteran.
ChrisPozz
RealGM

Post#6028 » by ChrisPozz » Fri Nov 8, 2019 4:46 am

Read on Twitter

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
NinerSickness
Lead Assistant
And1: 339

Post#6029 » by NinerSickness » Fri Nov 8, 2019 4:47 am

CrimsonCrew wrote:
NinerSickness wrote:
wco81 wrote:
He was mocked very high wasn't he?

What a bust.

Yep. Should have known when he fell out a hotel window this guy doesn't have his s**t together.

I think I'm gonna call it quits for a while in draft prognostication because I clearly haven't invested as much time into the draft as I used to the last 5 years or so. In the late '00s & early '10s, I was pretty damn good at it; but the game has clearly passed me by at this point. I've been wrong a lot more than right, lately.

Hey now, I had a friend in college who fell out of a fourth floor window, and he went on to work at the Obama White House, and has been quite successful since.

Sick, say it's not so with the draft prognostication! I know we give you a fair bit of **** at times, but I always enjoy your input. And there's no doubt that you still know way more about college and the draft than I do.

Thanks, Crimson! I'll still put some stuff out there, but much like Tom Brady, it'll have an asterisk next to it. Won't be 2010-draft-quality analysis. It'll be Sickness light. :D

Just don't have the time for football as I used to. The Niner fan in me regrets getting a life. :lol:
ChrisPozz
RealGM

Post#6030 » by ChrisPozz » Fri Nov 8, 2019 10:14 pm

A former NFL offensive lineman explains why pass protection is also the quarterback’s job
https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2019/11/8/20954689/nfl-offensive-line-pass-protection-breakdown-mitchell-trubisky-bears
Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager
And1: 225

Post#6031 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Fri Nov 8, 2019 11:53 pm

ChrisPozz wrote:
CrimsonCrew wrote:

Currently faced with a similar situation in one of my 3 leagues (the shallowest of the 3 leagues I'm in in terms of depth of roster and bench). Drafted him in Rd. 7 (about where many thought he should go) thinking I could make up for his absence in later rounds since this was the most casual league I'm in where other teams are not super into fantasy football.

Doesn't help that this was BY FAR my worst draft board set up that I've had in 14 years of doing fantasy football so not having him REALLY has hurt more than it usually would have since a very high % of players I drafted (in all my leagues) have been bit by the injury bug big time.

I was checking it today and I'm probably going to wait another week before I probably abandon the ship. There isn't a lot left out there in FA that I feel like I need to act on right now that would do much for me anyway so hopefully something looks better next week somehow but it's probably just going to be another fantasy football wound that lingers for me. Worst year I've ever had across the board.

Coincidentally, I used the SAME draft board to help (basically drafted for him) my younger brother out - also in a shallower league than some others you see - and he's having the best year he's ever had thus far. Really where his weaknesses are, are due to the same guys that got me in the other leagues but I just so happened to have quite a few more hits in his league than I've had in any of mine. Makes me think that I was very close to having another solid year in the other leagues and that I just missed out on having a far better year by a couple of slots on my draft board, which I followed closely with my drafts.

Let me know what you guys decide to do. I reached for him in the 6th round in one of my leagues; and I have him in at least 4 other leagues of mine.

Furthermore, I actually received an offer for him earlier this year which involved Matt Breida and a #2 receiver (don’t remember which player it was). I declined the offer and now I regret it.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM
And1: 939

Post#6032 » by CrimsonCrew » Sat Nov 9, 2019 1:00 am

Bingo_AlphaMan wrote:
ChrisPozz wrote:
CrimsonCrew wrote:

Let me know what you guys decide to do. I reached for him in the 6th round in one of my leagues; and I have him in at least 4 other leagues of mine.

Furthermore, I actually received an offer for him earlier this year which involved Matt Breida and a #2 receiver (don’t remember which player it was). I declined the offer and now I regret it.

I'm gonna try to hold him for another week. I have pretty good depth and am in first place, so I'm not in panic mode. Our league is twelve teams, but the WR waiver wire is usually okay (e.g., picked up Devante Parker this week, Gallup during his injury, John Brown last month). And WR is my weak spot. But I have a lot of Chargers, so I may have to drop him in during their bye in two weeks if not before.

My draft was a train wreck at WR and TE, as I ended up with Evans (obviously that one worked out, and I traded him straight up for McCaffrey, which really worked out), Green, Gordon, Westbrook, C. Samuel, and Walker. Green is the only one of those still on my team, but I was able to grab Waller and T. Williams as soon as the AB news broke, then grabbed Henry when someone dropped him with the injury, traded Waller and John Brown for Allen. I've got decent depth behind Allen, but it's all second- and third-tier guys so I'm content to wait a little longer on Green.
NinerSickness
Lead Assistant

Post#6033 » by NinerSickness » Sat Nov 9, 2019 1:03 am

ChrisPozz wrote:
Read on Twitter

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Best 40 time of any coach, evah!
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,213

Post#6034 » by wco81 » Sat Nov 9, 2019 1:10 am

Do college head coaches actually coach though?

Seems like a lot of it is about recruiting. Of course the assistants do most of the leg work and then the HC comes in to close the deal.

I wonder how much Saban himself is hands-on. My guess is he gives latitude to the position coaches and the coordinators.
NinerSickness
Lead Assistant

Post#6035 » by NinerSickness » Sat Nov 9, 2019 6:36 am

wco81 wrote:Do college head coaches actually coach though?

Seems like a lot of it is about recruiting. Of course the assistants do most of the leg work and then the HC comes in to close the deal.

I wonder how much Saban himself is hands-on. My guess is he gives latitude to the position coaches and the coordinators.

College coach's job.

1. Bribe kids' families to get 'em to play for you.

2. Get team to use PEDs.

Dodub
General Manager
And1: 516

Post#6036 » by Dodub » Sat Nov 9, 2019 3:29 pm

NinerSickness wrote:
wco81 wrote:Do college head coaches actually coach though?

College coach's job.

1. Bribe kids' families to get 'em to play for you.

2. Get team to use PEDs.

I REALLY hope that you’re both joking and don’t actually believe that....
NinerSickness
Lead Assistant

Post#6037 » by NinerSickness » Sat Nov 9, 2019 8:07 pm

Dodub wrote:I REALLY hope that you’re both joking and don’t actually believe that....

As little as anyone gave a crap when people actually found out about cheating, I'm pretty sure 90% of them are doing it, especially considering they don't all get caught. Both NFL and CFB.
Dodub
General Manager
And1: 516

Post#6038 » by Dodub » Sat Nov 9, 2019 10:04 pm

NinerSickness wrote:
Dodub wrote:I REALLY hope that you’re both joking and don’t actually believe that....

As little as anyone gave a crap when people actually found out about cheating, I'm pretty sure 90% of them are doing it, especially considering they don't all get caught. Both NFL and CFB.

I can assure you that players are getting money in order to commit to schools. It’s been happening forever and will continue to happen.

I can also assure you (from experience as a player and now coach/mentor) that they steroid issue is not near as big as you assume. I’m my time, of all of the players that I’ve known, I would say that maybe 20% were using some sort of performance enhancing drugs.

As for coaching responsibilities of the head coach, they are absolutely massive
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,213

Post#6039 » by wco81 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 2:27 am

Well Saban gets $10 million or more a year?

So he's probably doing a lot of media, glad handing of boosters, then of course closing the deal with recruits and their families.

In my eyes, his legacy is limited because he bailed on the NFL and never achieved at the NFL level as a HC. Can't blame him, since he has such huge advantages at Alabama and gets paid a fortune for it. Why take a chance with drafting, signing free agents and competing against other NFL teams which have almost as much resources?

But college sports currently is so exploitive of the athletes that I probably have too dim a view of NCAA football and basketball.
ChrisPozz
RealGM

Post#6040 » by ChrisPozz » Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:19 pm

Tyler Eifert back shoulder TD - easy.

Wouldn't that be a nice option for tomorrow evening (for 4+ million)? But nooooooo!

Yes, I'm still bitter.

Ross freaking Dwelley. :noway:

Return to San Francisco 49ers