Woj bomb: Wiseman ineligible for the 2020 season

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,412

Re: Woj bomb: Wiseman ineligible for the 2020 season 

Post#101 » by Slava » Sat Nov 9, 2019 12:09 pm

NCAA is going to run itself into the ground, which is the fair way for it to end.
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
Showdown
Sixth Man
And1: 1,102

Re: Woj bomb: Wiseman ineligible for the 2020 draft 

Post#102 » by Showdown » Sat Nov 9, 2019 3:10 pm

GhostOfChicago wrote:
GhostOfChicago wrote:
SOUL wrote:
Read on Twitter

In 2008

Read on Twitter

Never mind he made a mistake.

Read on Twitter

WOJ FLOP Alert !
LakersSoul
Head Coach
And1: 4,486

Post#103 » by LakersSoul » Sat Nov 9, 2019 3:12 pm

Wiseman is a stud. #1 draft pick next summer.

"Westy, LeBron + AD to rule the West.
Return of the King, the Lakers."
jefe
General Manager
And1: 634

Post#104 » by jefe » Sat Nov 9, 2019 3:22 pm

2008 appears to be the year that Penny made a donation to the U of M program. Based solely on this contribution from over ten years ago, the NCAA is asserting that Penny was a booster of the program such that his payment of $11,500.00 to Wiseman's parents in 2017 to help move from Nashville to Memphis was an impermissible benefit.

This is a ridiculous interpretation and application of its own rules by the NCAA, and I am glad that Wiseman has decided to sue the NCAA over it.
Nate505
RealGM
And1: 11,588

Post#105 » by Nate505 » Sat Nov 9, 2019 3:23 pm

TroyD92 wrote:Excited to see what happens when they get rid of the age requirement. Hope the NCAA gets **** like never before.

The NCAA will be fine. In college sports the front of the jersey matters as much as the back.
The4thHorseman
Head Coach
And1: 4,384

Post#106 » by The4thHorseman » Sat Nov 9, 2019 4:29 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Zenzibar
General Manager
And1: 8,233

Post#107 » by Zenzibar » Sat Nov 9, 2019 5:45 pm

The4thHorseman wrote:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

This case can change the landscape of college sports, known as the Wiseman decision.

If Wiseman wins he should declare himself and free agent, not only to choose his school but if he decides, to bypass the draft system.

A system that takes away the freedom of choice in how much one can earn, and fills the pockets of the NCAA by showcasing top lottery projections, without one single cent of compensation.

Time to break the NCAA's grip on all this cash.
Clyde Frazier
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 25,243

Post#108 » by Clyde Frazier » Sat Nov 9, 2019 6:04 pm

Zenzibar wrote:
The4thHorseman wrote:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

This case can change the landscape of college sports, known as the Wiseman decision.

If Wiseman wins he should declare himself and free agent, not only to choose his school but if he decides, to bypass the draft system.

A system that takes away the freedom of choice in how much one can earn, and fills the pockets of the NCAA by showcasing top lottery projections, without one single cent of compensation.

This has nothing to do with the nba draft. Wiseman could go take karate lessons for the next 6 months and still be drafted in the 2020 draft.
Zenzibar
General Manager

Post#109 » by Zenzibar » Sat Nov 9, 2019 6:09 pm

Clyde Frazier wrote:
Zenzibar wrote:
The4thHorseman wrote:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

This has nothing to do with the nba draft. Wiseman could go take karate lessons for the next 6 months and still be drafted in the 2020 draft.

Why can't it be about the entire system? The NCAA has just removed an option to showcase his talents and affect his draft standing.
Clyde Frazier
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 25,243

Post#110 » by Clyde Frazier » Sat Nov 9, 2019 6:17 pm

Zenzibar wrote:
Clyde Frazier wrote:
Zenzibar wrote:

Why can't it be about the entire system? The NCAA has just removed an option to showcase his talents and affect his draft standing.

All I'm saying is the debate on whether or not a draft should exist is a separate issue. Although I agree they should get rid of the one and done rule.

Re: wiseman though, the NCAA continues to be a disgusting joke. I can't wait until they have to fully cave and players can start signing endorsement deals.
NBAFan93
RealGM
And1: 14,221

Post#111 » by NBAFan93 » Sat Nov 9, 2019 6:20 pm

Zenzibar wrote:
The4thHorseman wrote:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Wiseman is fighting this because he and his people see value in being able to play NCAA. He wants to be a part of this “oppressive system” so bad that he’s willing to sue for it. It’s a contradiction to say these players get nothing out of it - just cause they aren’t being handed a check doesn’t mean they aren’t getting something. Clearly they are or they wouldn’t do it.

As for the NCAA lining its pockets, they are trying to stop Weismann from playing - wouldn’t their best interest be to allow him to play? He clearly wants to.

I think Memphis knows they aren’t winning anything w/o him, so might as well roll the dice and keep playing him - worst case wins vacated. Won’t be the first time for them.

I just wonder if Memphis knew about this money Penny gave him when they hired Penny. That to me is a critical piece of info in this whole thing, and I still think the most fair solution is to allow him to play for another school.

They should relax the rules to be so that if one school violates rules, it only prevents that school from signing that prospect, not the prospect from signing anywhere. Of course then you’d probably have a lot of schools narking on each other, but don’t know if that would be bad or not.
Dupp
RealGM
And1: 66,677

Post#112 » by Dupp » Sat Nov 9, 2019 6:27 pm

I’m sure it’s been covered but why does the ncaa have the right to declare him ineligible? He still under contract with them? They don’t pay him how can they have any power over him?
DowJones
RealGM
And1: 6,691

Post#113 » by DowJones » Sat Nov 9, 2019 7:58 pm

Clyde Frazier wrote:This makes me legitimately sick. NCAA trying to make a statement by screwing over a major prospect before they're forced to allow players to sign endorsement deals. Memphis was going to be so much fan to watch. This is a NON SCANDAL, so pathetic.

I don't understand your post. This was against their rules. Why should the NCAA ignore this? Ignoring a clear violation would be a bigger issue. Wiseman doesn't have to play NCAA ball. There are many options for him.
Frank Dux
Head Coach
And1: 9,076

Post#114 » by Frank Dux » Sat Nov 9, 2019 8:14 pm

boycott college ball. stop giving them ratings. stop going to games.

the college game is a gimmick. there’s maybe 2 weeks of relevant decent basketball. the sooner we get our prospects out that that system the better. guys like Zion Williams should not have to waste a year of income, pretending to go to class so he can make the NCAA, Duke, and the media a fortune off of his name.
tondi123
Starter
And1: 1,376

Post#115 » by tondi123 » Sat Nov 9, 2019 8:40 pm

Guys should just go play pickup ball for a year after HS. Then the NBA will draft them based on their YMCA video and the NCAA will go out of business because they won't have all these people to oppress. Its the morons wet dream.
Adopt_Me_Masai
Sophomore
And1: 306

Post#116 » by Adopt_Me_Masai » Sat Nov 9, 2019 11:00 pm

DowJones wrote:
Clyde Frazier wrote:This makes me legitimately sick. NCAA trying to make a statement by screwing over a major prospect before they're forced to allow players to sign endorsement deals. Memphis was going to be so much fan to watch. This is a NON SCANDAL, so pathetic.

I don't understand your post. This was against their rules. Why should the NCAA ignore this? Ignoring a clear violation would be a bigger issue. Wiseman doesn't have to play NCAA ball. There are many options for him.

The problem are the rules itself. They make multiple billions in revenues by showcasing young athletes and don't pay them a single cent. Then they try to justify that by insisting that they're "just student athletes" as if the academics comes first and that NCAA sports are not a full-time commitment (when they are). It's just an excuse to hoard the revenues and not share them with the athletes that make them so profitable. An excuse perpetuated by NCAA leadership - mostly old, well-off white men, acting against the financial interests of predominantly young, Black athletes from working class backgrounds. It's gross af.

Then, if any player has even a MINOR infraction of these corrupt rules, the punishment is so draconian. Dewan Hernandez received a hotel room for ONE night. That's it. He self-reported this to the NCAA and apologized. The response? Suspended for the entire year and the end of his collegiate career. This didn't happen in 1978, it happened in 2018.

Why punish James Wiseman, when he was a minor at the time the help was received? Why not just fine Penny Hardaway, the rich multi-millionaire coach and not the athlete from a black working-class home? Why is it even so bad that a coach helps a player? Or maybe if you paid players, they wouldn't feel it as necessary to engage in these secret transactions because y'know, they could actually afford things.
Adopt_Me_Masai
Sophomore
And1: 306

Post#117 » by Adopt_Me_Masai » Sat Nov 9, 2019 11:04 pm

tondi123 wrote:Guys should just go play pickup ball for a year after HS. Then the NBA will draft them based on their YMCA video and the NCAA will go out of business because they won't have all these people to oppress. Its the morons wet dream.

It's the football players that are really screwed. At least basketball prospects have the NBL, Euroleague, China and the $125,000 G-League contract to choose from. College football players have no choice but to go to NCAA as far as I know. (If I were the CFL in Canada I would offer $100,000+ contracts to top HS prospects but I don't think that's happened yet.)
Zenzibar
General Manager

Post#118 » by Zenzibar » Sat Nov 9, 2019 11:57 pm

NBAFan93 wrote:
Zenzibar wrote:
The4thHorseman wrote:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Wiseman is fighting this because he and his people see value in being able to play NCAA. He wants to be a part of this “oppressive system” so bad that he’s willing to sue for it. It’s a contradiction to say these players get nothing out of it - just cause they aren’t being handed a check doesn’t mean they aren’t getting something. Clearly they are or they wouldn’t do it.

As for the NCAA lining its pockets, they are trying to stop Weismann from playing - wouldn’t their best interest be to allow him to play? He clearly wants to.

I think Memphis knows they aren’t winning anything w/o him, so might as well roll the dice and keep playing him - worst case wins vacated. Won’t be the first time for them.

I just wonder if Memphis knew about this money Penny gave him when they hired Penny. That to me is a critical piece of info in this whole thing, and I still think the most fair solution is to allow him to play for another school.

They should relax the rules to be so that if one school violates rules, it only prevents that school from signing that prospect, not the prospect from signing anywhere. Of course then you’d probably have a lot of schools narking on each other, but don’t know if that would be bad or not.

This case is interesting because if the NCAA loses, narking will be the norm..jj

We're on the same page though.
To prohibt a kid from going to school and playing elsewhere is what's lame about this ruling.
jordan0386
Senior
And1: 570

Post#119 » by jordan0386 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:21 am

It was dumb of the NCAA to rule him eligible at first. If Wise can get benefits and play, so can everyone else.

NCAA gonna lose this case. Can't back out a written agreement of this magnitude.
Nate505
RealGM
And1: 11,588

Post#120 » by Nate505 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:00 am

Frank Dux wrote:boycott college ball. stop giving them ratings. stop going to games.

the college game is a gimmick. there’s maybe 2 weeks of relevant decent basketball. the sooner we get our prospects out that that system the better. guys like Zion Williams should not have to waste a year of income, pretending to go to class so he can make the NCAA, Duke, and the media a fortune off of his name.

That's up to the prospects to do.

College basketball will be fine though. While it would suffer some for not having top level talent, and while I know many find this really hard to believe for some reason, the schools sell themselves. The Tournament sells itself.

Return to The General Board