ImageImageImageImageImage

Willie Cauley Stein

Moderators: Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose, Sleepy51

LightTheBeam
RealGM
And1: 10,573

Re: Willie Cauley Stein 

Post#21 » by LightTheBeam » Sat Nov 9, 2019 5:37 pm

svart wrote:I watched last night's game.

I liked him since he was drafted, and was really glad when he signed him, thought the dubs organization will make something out of him.
But damn, his man is lazy. He doesn't even try under the rim sometimes, his body language is awful. I was wondering if it has something to do with the team being so bad and him feeling demotivated, or if this is his normal motor and attitude.

So disappointed. Not sure he has what it takes to turn it around, i think he might me a lost cause already.

His problem is basketball isn't his passion. Hes strictly in the league to make money, and hes made that beyond clear.

He will have that one game where he gets a couple blocks, runs the floor and catches some lobs, and looks genuinely interested. You will wonder if hes finally turned the corner, and the very next game he goes back to his old self. A guy with his length and bounce should be blocking 2 shots a game, but hes a notoriously bad shot blocker because he doesnt even try to contest the rim.
Bayside
Rookie
And1: 610

Post#22 » by Bayside » Sat Nov 9, 2019 6:28 pm

RipPizzaGuy wrote:
svart wrote:I watched last night's game.

I liked him since he was drafted, and was really glad when he signed him, thought the dubs organization will make something out of him.
But damn, his man is lazy. He doesn't even try under the rim sometimes, his body language is awful. I was wondering if it has something to do with the team being so bad and him feeling demotivated, or if this is his normal motor and attitude.

So disappointed. Not sure he has what it takes to turn it around, i think he might me a lost cause already.

His problem is basketball isn't his passion. Hes strictly in the league to make money, and hes made that beyond clear.

He will have that one game where he gets a couple blocks, runs the floor and catches some lobs, and looks genuinely interested. You will wonder if hes finally turned the corner, and the very next game he goes back to his old self. A guy with his length and bounce should be blocking 2 shots a game, but hes a notoriously bad shot blocker because he doesnt even try to contest the rim.

I read this a bit prior to seeing him suit up for the warriors. And I didn't really understand that at the time. Lots of gems out of this thread.. Hard not to see what he is doing.. He does move a bit, and is setting screens. But it is this underlying feeling he just isn't reaching his potential and there is something about it that bothers me more than others like that. I don't want to get all negative on the guy because he doesn't seem negative at all. In fact the opposite. But that is the key here. Its like he did too much molly and is still high. Or in college took to much acid. He wants to be picking flowers and doing hula hoop. Don't mean to be rude about flowers and hula. The guy is a bit of a trip. Queue in "The Dude" quotes.
Jerry Maine
Sixth Man
And1: 719

Post#23 » by Jerry Maine » Sat Nov 9, 2019 6:33 pm

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. ...
"What're they gonna say now, boy?" - Wardell Stephen Curry, 16th June 2022
Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Post#24 » by Mylie10 » Sat Nov 9, 2019 8:31 pm

Money_ wrote:
Mylie10 wrote:Ummm, he set a ton of the screens Russell used to get his points.

I rewatched the game last night after reading all of the Willie comments, and while he wasn't great but any stretch, he did have some good moments on the defensive end. He was also heavily involved in setting the I initial screen DLo was using.

You are right about that, but DLo didn't dish to Willie that much at all. Maybe because of the way Minny was defending it...
other than the initial screen, not much developed after.

Doesn't matter. Willie set good screens, and D Lo scored big. That's his job.

I'm not saying that Willie played great at all. It was just that he had a few more good moments than was reported.
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
Money_
Rookie
And1: 224

Post#25 » by Money_ » Sat Nov 9, 2019 9:57 pm

Mylie10 wrote:
Money_ wrote:
Mylie10 wrote:Ummm, he set a ton of the screens Russell used to get his points.

I rewatched the game last night after reading all of the Willie comments, and while he wasn't great but any stretch, he did have some good moments on the defensive end. He was also heavily involved in setting the I initial screen DLo was using.

You are right about that, but DLo didn't dish to Willie that much at all. Maybe because of the way Minny was defending it...
other than the initial screen, not much developed after.

Doesn't matter. Willie set good screens, and D Lo scored big. That's his job.

I'm not saying that Willie played great at all. It was just that he had a few more good moments than was reported.

Any thing that works at this point is a good thing. Willie just started playing a week or two ago after missing training camp.
As they play together more, I'm hoping the two can develop a more balanced consistent if not deadly pnr attack.
Last night was a good start.
giberish
RealGM
And1: 5,837

Post#26 » by giberish » Sat Nov 9, 2019 11:05 pm

If you just need your center not to be a liability (like the Warriors the past few years) then he's fine. If you need a clear positive difference-maker then he's not that guy (though it's really hard to get that guy for a $2.2M FA).
Mylie10
RealGM

Post#27 » by Mylie10 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:52 am

3 blocks tonight for Willie.
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
likemycurryhot
Senior
And1: 688

Post#28 » by likemycurryhot » Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:46 pm

He may also need some more time to really work his way into in season shape and absorb all of the schemes he missed out on because he was injured. Trying to stay positive here.
Samurai
General Manager
And1: 2,892

Post#29 » by Samurai » Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:02 pm

likemycurryhot wrote:He may also need some more time to really work his way into in season shape and absorb all of the schemes he missed out on because he was injured. Trying to stay positive here.

Yup, I've mentioned before that he didn't get the benefit of a pre-season to get in game shape or learn the Dubs' system. As a result, I am trying to hold off on being overly critical of him for another week or two.
Mylie10
RealGM

Post#30 » by Mylie10 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:31 pm

I think the free flowing fro had a lot to do with the effort last night.

10 points, 6 rebounds, 3 blocks I 24 minutes is good production. Couple of good defensive stands. Overall it's lacking, but definitely a better effort than the night before.
Khoee wrote “
Samurai
General Manager
And1: 2,892

Post#31 » by Samurai » Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:58 pm

Mylie10 wrote:I think the free flowing fro had a lot to do with the effort last night.

10 points, 6 rebounds, 3 blocks I 24 minutes is good production. Couple of good defensive stands. Overall it's lacking, but definitely a better effort than the night before.

In the Minny game thread, I think there was a poster that stated words to the effect that 'everyone wearing a headband sucks' - or something similar. My guess is that WCS saw that post and said 'wow, I gotta let the hair out and get rid of this headband!' For those few brief seconds when he blocked those shots, he looked like Ben Wallace out there! If only he could do that, and rebound consistently like Big Ben did.....
KevinMcreynolds
RealGM
And1: 3,337

Post#32 » by KevinMcreynolds » Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:38 pm

His motor sucks, but Ron Adams da God will turn him into a beast
floppymoose wrote:Too much Vlad. Sixers can't handle it. Solid gold.

"I'm a big proponent of footwork. Believe me." ~Jim Barnett
Mylie10
RealGM

Post#33 » by Mylie10 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:46 pm

If the front line is Paschall, Draymond, and Willie, they will force WCS to play hard or they will take his edible gummies away from him.
Khoee wrote “
DaHef
Pro Prospect
And1: 170

Post#34 » by DaHef » Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:47 pm

You're hard capped and have scrub money to offer a center in the open market. You are not going to get the 2nd coming of Tim Duncan. You're going to get a guy with limited abilities who should be a sub. He hustles and gives it his all. What else can he do?
Mylie10
RealGM

Post#35 » by Mylie10 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:49 pm

DaHef wrote:You're hard capped and have scrub money to offer a center in the open market. You are not going to get the 2nd coming of Tim Duncan. You're going to get a guy with limited abilities who should be a sub. He hustles and gives it his all. What else can he do?

What if we get the number one pick and take Wiseman?

At that point Willie will have made the impact that got us the number one pick, so I will thank him. Lol
Khoee wrote “
DaHef
Pro Prospect

Post#36 » by DaHef » Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:28 pm

Mylie10 wrote:
DaHef wrote:You're hard capped and have scrub money to offer a center in the open market. You are not going to get the 2nd coming of Tim Duncan. You're going to get a guy with limited abilities who should be a sub. He hustles and gives it his all. What else can he do?

At that point Willie will have made the impact that got us the number one pick, so I will thank him. Lol

Or D'lo and lottery pick for the Milwaukee center whose name I won't even try to spell. ( if he signs long term of course)
Mylie10
RealGM

Post#37 » by Mylie10 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:41 pm

DaHef wrote:
Mylie10 wrote:

Or D'lo and lottery pick for the Milwaukee center whose name I won't even try to spell. ( if he signs long term of course)

Giannis is not a center. Brook and Robin Lopez are their centers.

And Giannis ideas are pipe dreams. I love a good pipe dream, but I don't dwell on them.

The only.......absolute only way Giannis becomes a Warrior, is if he forces his way here. That is the definition of a pipe dream.
Khoee wrote “
DaHef
Pro Prospect

Post#38 » by DaHef » Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:55 pm

Mylie10 wrote:
DaHef wrote:
Mylie10 wrote:

Giannis is not a center. Brook and Robin Lopez are their centers.

And Giannis ideas are pipe dreams. I love a good pipe dream, but I don't dwell on them.

The only.......absolute only way Giannis becomes a Warrior, is if he forces his way here. That is the definition of a pipe dream.

Giannis only a forward? Oh well, I guess we should use the number 1 on Wiseman and use Green and D'Lo to get Giannis in a sign and trade and use him as a forward. There, pipe dream complete.
Coxy
RealGM
And1: 14,661

Post#39 » by Coxy » Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:44 pm

We aren’t getting Giannis, that pipe dream isn’t worth the brain time.

Return to Golden State Warriors