Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,222

Re: Lakers progress so far 

Post#41 » by Kilroy » Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:44 am

NippySudz wrote:
Kilroy wrote:
NippySudz wrote:Who can the Lakers get for his price? Kuzma is cheaper than a veterans minimum

Sent from my LM-Q710(FGN) using Tapatalk

Kuzma is the piece that helps you trade KCP... He's not the straight trade piece...

Kuzma's value comes from the fact he's on his rookie contract, and teams know, despite his shortcomings, he's going to be worth a whole lot more... So trading for him now, gets them first shot at defining that future.

KCP is overpaid but serviceable in the right role, but you wouldn't trade for him unless you were getting something else you wanted too...

Basically, I think there's only one realistic (you decide how realistic) trade for either KCP or Kuzma... That's both of them for Iggy.

https://basketball.realgm.com/tradechecker/saved_trade/7245361

Can't happen until the Dec 15th tho... And Iggy is way over-paid right now and that's a whole lot to give up for him... And despite all that, he'd pretty much have to threaten to retire to get Memphis to accept that for him.

KCP and Rondo have defacto no trade clauses.

Yes they do, which doesn't mean they can't be traded. It just means you have to convince them.
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...
NippySudz
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,460

Post#42 » by NippySudz » Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:42 am

Kilroy wrote:
NippySudz wrote:
Kilroy wrote:
Kuzma is the piece that helps you trade KCP... He's not the straight trade piece...

Kuzma's value comes from the fact he's on his rookie contract, and teams know, despite his shortcomings, he's going to be worth a whole lot more... So trading for him now, gets them first shot at defining that future.

KCP is overpaid but serviceable in the right role, but you wouldn't trade for him unless you were getting something else you wanted too...

Basically, I think there's only one realistic (you decide how realistic) trade for either KCP or Kuzma... That's both of them for Iggy.

https://basketball.realgm.com/tradechecker/saved_trade/7245361

Can't happen until the Dec 15th tho... And Iggy is way over-paid right now and that's a whole lot to give up for him... And despite all that, he'd pretty much have to threaten to retire to get Memphis to accept that for him.

KCP and Rondo have defacto no trade clauses.

Yes they do, which doesn't mean they can't be traded. It just means you have to convince them.
I can only see kcp being convinced if he can land a long term lucrative contract. He turned down like an 80m deal from the pistons I bet he regrets that and is looking for a long term deal

What team is going to sign this dude to anywhere close to that? A 4yr-30mil deal is even too much for a KCP

chefy
Head Coach
And1: 650

Post#43 » by chefy » Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:28 am

the key this season is to just try to stay healthy and keep building chemistry. and i dont mind a couple of "load management" games for AD and Lebron.

we need that 3rd or 4th scorer. but nothing new here tho, we already knew this the moment we traded majority of our main core for AD

Lebron and AD, beasts! nuff said.

kudos to the front office for thinking outside the box and signing Dwight.

i dont see us winning it all this year tbh so the key next offseason is to get a 3rd scoring option and a pointguard. we need a player that can create his own shots and penetrate defenses, gordon, gallo, demar, gordon, teague, jackson.
stan francisco
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,540

Post#44 » by stan francisco » Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:47 pm

NippySudz wrote:
stan francisco wrote:Trading Kuzma when he makes $1.9M remains a bad idea no matter what. Who will give you more for that price? He will never again have such a high on-court value per dollar paid no matter how poorly he plays rest of season.

From a ball point of view, I have a strong incling that none of us here will want to trade him five or ten games from now. The fireworks are coming.

He’s what, three games into his season? Had an injury that took him away from full contact and game tempo practice. Our defense is furiously intense even for all the healthy players. They can’t even make their shots. In Kuz I trust!

Caruso. I’m sticking to the prediction that he’s our starting PG before Christmas. His shot will soon start falling, too. That’ll open up lanes for his drive and dish game. And he can finish.

Caruso, Green, LBJ, AD, Howard

It seems the whole team except LeBron need to do some serious cardio to keep up with this defense and also make shots, as noted above.

As someone who always preaches defense I’m beyond excited about what we’ve seen so far. I love the fourth quarter Boa Constrictor defense!!! They’re squeezing the life out of teams. Imagine when the shots fall.

Targets:
Iggy, Van Fleet
Ab will remain the starting pg. Caruso will not be able to stay with the westbrooks,dames, currys of the world. AB will.

You're on this kuz train hard. While I agree his performance per dollar is great, kuz himself isn't that very good. You projected him to be the third star. It's still early but even if he returns to last year's form 45% from the field and 30% from three will not cut it fora team with championship aspirations.

Just imagine what Ingram would be doing on this team right now. Dude is having a great year so far.

Like I’ve said, let’s revisit once he’s got his cardio going and has warmed up a bit. I never said he’s Ingram. I said he’s going to be our third star.

And there’s no doubt Ingram is ahead (a year and talent wise). He’s not a Laker anymore. Siakam would be good, too. He’s not a Laker either.

Are you arguing that we should’ve kept Ingram? I agree, although it wouldn’t work cap space wise.
NBA titles since the merger: LAL 11, CHI 6, SAS 5, BOS 5, GSW 4.
NippySudz
Assistant Coach

Post#45 » by NippySudz » Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:50 pm

stan francisco wrote:
NippySudz wrote:
stan francisco wrote:Trading Kuzma when he makes $1.9M remains a bad idea no matter what. Who will give you more for that price? He will never again have such a high on-court value per dollar paid no matter how poorly he plays rest of season.

From a ball point of view, I have a strong incling that none of us here will want to trade him five or ten games from now. The fireworks are coming.

He’s what, three games into his season? Had an injury that took him away from full contact and game tempo practice. Our defense is furiously intense even for all the healthy players. They can’t even make their shots. In Kuz I trust!

Caruso. I’m sticking to the prediction that he’s our starting PG before Christmas. His shot will soon start falling, too. That’ll open up lanes for his drive and dish game. And he can finish.

Caruso, Green, LBJ, AD, Howard

It seems the whole team except LeBron need to do some serious cardio to keep up with this defense and also make shots, as noted above.

As someone who always preaches defense I’m beyond excited about what we’ve seen so far. I love the fourth quarter Boa Constrictor defense!!! They’re squeezing the life out of teams. Imagine when the shots fall.

Targets:
Iggy, Van Fleet
Ab will remain the starting pg. Caruso will not be able to stay with the westbrooks,dames, currys of the world. AB will.

You're on this kuz train hard. While I agree his performance per dollar is great, kuz himself isn't that very good. You projected him to be the third star. It's still early but even if he returns to last year's form 45% from the field and 30% from three will not cut it fora team with championship aspirations.

Just imagine what Ingram would be doing on this team right now. Dude is having a great year so far.

Like I’ve said, let’s revisit once he’s got his cardio going and has warmed up a bit. I never said he’s Ingram. I said he’s going to be our third star.

And there’s no doubt Ingram is ahead (a year and talent wise). He’s not a Laker anymore. Siakam would be good, too. He’s not a Laker either.

Are you arguing that we should’ve kept Ingram? I agree, although it wouldn’t work cap space wise.
You said James worthy level impact in another thread. Can you specify what you mean by that? What do you mean by star? Star on this team or star in this league?

When you put kuzma and worthy in the same sentence, you're giving kuzma a ton of praise

What do you think of his defense? What does cardio have to do with his defense?

Spanish_Laker
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,010

Post#46 » by Spanish_Laker » Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:35 pm

Bottom 3 in 3pt shooting. This is very sad. The trend "signed by the Lakers and then forgot how to shoot" continues.
Banned after 15 years in this forum for no reason. Farewell RealGM users
stan francisco
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,540

Post#47 » by stan francisco » Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:41 pm

NippySudz wrote:
stan francisco wrote:
NippySudz wrote:Ab will remain the starting pg. Caruso will not be able to stay with the westbrooks,dames, currys of the world. AB will.

You said James worthy level impact in another thread. Can you specify what you mean by that? What do you mean by star? Star on this team or star in this league?

When you put kuzma and worthy in the same sentence, you're giving kuzma a ton of praise

Man, you have a lot of questions.

I believe I said at the end of his career I wouldn’t be shocked if he had accomplished as much as Worthy did. Not by this November, 2019. But yes, Kuz is a big game player, has the right mental makeup for the big shot, plays up to the moment. Runs the flanks, can finish strong, can put up 40 on any good night if given the chance. Magic/KAJ - LBJ/AD. The third star. There are many similarities. If you thought I think they look alike or run alike, I don’t. Same type of impact? Yes, it’s possible. I believe that is what I said.

What is a star? I said our third star. I also said our third best player. You know, the third player to be mentioned after LBJ and AD is probably our third star. Let’s revisit around ASB. Our third best player on the court is our third best player. Not four games after he recovers from injury and plays in a new defensive system and hasn’t hit his cardio up to elite level yet.

His team defense needs improvement, but it is much better than this time last season. Cardio has more of a negative effect on his offense, as it does for the rest of team. Give the guy a few weeks to warm up and hopefully you’ll see what some of us see. Or watch the ten fifteen last games of previous season. Eye of the tiger. Junk yard dog. Great at moving off the ball. Our third star.

Let’s not revisit tomorrow but rather when things have settled in a bit.
NBA titles since the merger: LAL 11, CHI 6, SAS 5, BOS 5, GSW 4.
NippySudz
Assistant Coach

Post#48 » by NippySudz » Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:06 pm

stan francisco wrote:
NippySudz wrote:
stan francisco wrote:

Man, you have a lot of questions.

I believe I said at the end of his career I wouldn’t be shocked if he had accomplished as much as Worthy did. Not by this November, 2019. But yes, Kuz is a big game player, has the right mental makeup for the big shot, plays up to the moment. Runs the flanks, can finish strong, can put up 40 on any good night if given the chance. Magic/KAJ - LBJ/AD. The third star. There are many similarities. If you thought I think they look alike or run alike, I don’t. Same type of impact? Yes, it’s possible. I believe that is what I said.

What is a star? I said our third star. I also said our third best player. You know, the third player to be mentioned after LBJ and AD is probably our third star. Let’s revisit around ASB. Our third best player on the court is our third best player. Not four games after he recovers from injury and plays in a new defensive system and hasn’t hit his cardio up to elite level yet.

His team defense needs improvement, but it is much better than this time last season. Cardio has more of a negative effect on his offense, as it does for the rest of team. Give the guy a few weeks to warm up and hopefully you’ll see what some of us see. Or watch the ten fifteen last games of previous season. Eye of the tiger. Junk yard dog. Great at moving off the ball. Our third star.

Let’s not revisit tomorrow but rather when things have settled in a bit.
Yes I do. You should write kuzmas foreword to his autobiography. No offense, but you talk in sport cliches. I still remember you saying kuzma will be the third star because he comes from the mean streets of Detroit. And I don't say that to be rude, but none of this addresses any concerns.

I asked the question about star because James worthy is an hall of famer was one of the top 50 players so I asked because I didn't want to take your words out of context.

Any NBA player is capable of putting up big numbers. Corey Brewer put up 50 and he's not all star talent. Lots of guys have the guts to take big shots. Role players. That doesn't speak to his make up.

It's about consistency. We'll see if his 3p shot improves and he can find some consistency

The guy lost last night and his press conference, his attitude was nonchalant about his defense. It was an afterthought to his offense.

I personally don't think he's good enough but I'm willing to give him time. Maybe he's just rusty or maybe he'll be one of those NBA players that bloom really late. Only time will tell.

SweetTouch
RealGM
And1: 2,956

Post#49 » by SweetTouch » Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:18 pm

He needs his mojo back too tentative and scared to even pull up post dribble

Confidence is shot
Stop being so disrespectful.
LAKESHOW
RealGM
And1: 4,185

Post#50 » by LAKESHOW » Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:34 am

If Kuzma is NOT the third...then that leaves alotta questions on the table.
Home of the 17 Time World Champions
tamaraw08
Analyst
And1: 1,280

Post#51 » by tamaraw08 » Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:43 pm

LAKESHOW wrote:If Kuzma is NOT the third...then that leaves alotta questions on the table.

Please don't get me wrong guys. Having a legit 3rd option/star would greatly enhance their chances of winning it all but I don't think that not having one would seriously jeopardize their quest.
When the Cavs upset the Warriors in '16-17, their 3rd highest pts scorer was JR Smith with 10.6 pts/game. https://www.basketball-reference.com/playoffs/2016-nba-finals-cavaliers-vs-warriors.html
The first time GSW won it all, Klay averaged less than 17 pts as the 3rd best scorer.
For '08-09, Bynum was the 3rd highest scorer at 14pts but missed 32 games. Lakers was ranked 3rd in ORTG winning 65 games. Odom "stepped up" to score 13.4 pts/game to help and win it all that year.
pretty much the same sequence the following season but had MWP rising up to average 10.6pts against the vaunted Boston defense.
Dallas beat the Heat with Marrion averaging 13.7 pts as the 3rd best scorer. Lowry was the 3rd best scorer last finals with 16 pts shooting under 43%FG.
Again I really wanted a guy like Kyrie to sign last summer, as the 2nd best best playmaker/shooter/scorer, but it didn't happen.
Kuzma is struggling lately with his shot, I want to be patient with him. Yes, he is also making mistakes left and right but the guy really know how to play next the Lebron, knowing when to cut and dive and move without the ball. Some are already grumbling about how good Ingram has been lately, but he is such a bad fit with Lebron and he is not exactly playing great defense lately.
NippySudz
Assistant Coach

Post#52 » by NippySudz » Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:48 pm

tamaraw08 wrote:
LAKESHOW wrote:If Kuzma is NOT the third...then that leaves alotta questions on the table.

Please don't get me wrong guys. Having a legit 3rd option/star would greatly enhance their chances of winning it all but I don't think that not having one would seriously jeopardize their quest.
When the Cavs upset the Warriors in '16-17, their 3rd highest pts scorer was JR Smith with 10.6 pts/game. https://www.basketball-reference.com/playoffs/2016-nba-finals-cavaliers-vs-warriors.html
The first time GSW won it all, Klay averaged less than 17 pts as the 3rd best scorer.
For '08-09, Bynum was the 3rd highest scorer at 14pts but missed 32 games. Lakers was ranked 3rd in ORTG winning 65 games. Odom "stepped up" to score 13.4 pts/game to help and win it all that year.
pretty much the same sequence the following season but had MWP rising up to average 10.6pts against the vaunted Boston defense.
Dallas beat the Heat with Marrion averaging 13.7 pts as the 3rd best scorer. Lowry was the 3rd best scorer last finals with 16 pts shooting under 43%FG.
Again I really wanted a guy like Kyrie to sign last summer, as the 2nd best best playmaker/shooter/scorer, but it didn't happen.
Kuzma is struggling lately with his shot, I want to be patient with him. Yes, he is also making mistakes left and right but the guy really know how to play next the Lebron, knowing when to cut and dive and move without the ball. Some are already grumbling about how good Ingram has been lately, but he is such a bad fit with Lebron and he is not exactly playing great defense lately.
That's what I said in the other thread. I equated him to a jr Smith. Jalen rose and other people are talking as if he's part of a big three. Being the third scorer doesn't make you a big three. Nor does it make you a star.

tamaraw08
Analyst

Post#53 » by tamaraw08 » Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:51 pm

The Shaq/Kobe Combo after winning the first ring together when Rice Left, Fisher was the 3rd scorer with an average of 11pts/game.
bb22
Starter
And1: 984

Post#54 » by bb22 » Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:03 pm

I think it’s safe to conclude that, once again, this is a team that will go as far as Lebron takes them. The two losses thus far came with Lebron not being aggressive enough in terms of scoring. Having Lebron bring the ball up and initiate the offense is waste of time and a non-threat.
NippySudz
Assistant Coach

Post#55 » by NippySudz » Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:23 pm

bb22 wrote:I think it’s safe to conclude that, once again, this is a team that will go as far as Lebron takes them. The two losses thus far came with Lebron not being aggressive enough in terms of scoring. Having Lebron bring the ball up and initiate the offense is waste of time and a non-threat.

Yeah, its a wing's game.

The last time a dominant big and a wing won a championship would have to go back to the lakers with kobe and shaq. Shaq won with dwade, but shaq averaged 12pts that series.

Traditional big men can't win rings being the guy in this generation. Not without a dominant wing feeding the ball at least. You can see when lebron is out or passive, the offense stagnates. They don't keep anywhere close to the same production. Hell, this team without lebron is not even a playoff team. He matters that much.
tamaraw08
Analyst

Post#56 » by tamaraw08 » Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:49 pm

NippySudz wrote:
bb22 wrote:I think it’s safe to conclude that, once again, this is a team that will go as far as Lebron takes them. The two losses thus far came with Lebron not being aggressive enough in terms of scoring. Having Lebron bring the ball up and initiate the offense is waste of time and a non-threat.

Yeah, its a wing's game.

The last time a dominant big and a wing won a championship would have to go back to the lakers with kobe and shaq. Shaq won with dwade, but shaq averaged 12pts that series.

Traditional big men can't win rings being the guy in this generation. Not without a dominant wing feeding the ball at least. You can see when lebron is out or passive, the offense stagnates. They don't keep anywhere close to the same production. Hell, this team without lebron is not even a playoff team. He matters that much.

Lebron had 15 assists on 2 turnovers...yes it would have been great if he scored 26 pts instead but It’s a lot harder to win if you allow 113 pts, 35 pts in 4th quarter..
They lost because they committed turnovers, took low % shots and was bad in transition defense imo
NippySudz
Assistant Coach

Post#57 » by NippySudz » Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:04 pm

tamaraw08 wrote:
NippySudz wrote:

Yeah, its a wing's game.

Lebron had 15 assists on 2 turnovers...yes it would have been great if he scored 26 pts instead but It’s a lot harder to win if you allow 113 pts, 35 pts in 4th quarter..
They lost because they committed turnovers, took low % shots and was bad in transition defense imo

i'm just talking about overall. Not one game.
Dmagic
Pro Prospect
And1: 297

Post#58 » by Dmagic » Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:12 pm

denis shroeder for kuzma and kcp
NippySudz
Assistant Coach

Post#59 » by NippySudz » Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:39 pm

Dmagic wrote:denis shroeder for kuzma and kcp

why would OKC even want that?

OKC would want draft picks.
Landsberger
General Manager
And1: 1,969

Post#60 » by Landsberger » Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:11 am

Shroeder is OKC's "bridge" player between when CP3 agrees to be bought out so he can hang on with a team to get a championship he'll take credit for and the suckage that will follow. No way they give him up unless there are picks involved.

Return to Los Angeles Lakers