Re: Kristaps Porzingis 'Can't Blame' Rick Carlisle For Benching

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 292

Kristaps Porzingis 'Can't Blame' Rick Carlisle For Benching 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:13 pm

Kristaps Porzingis had just four points on 1-of-11 shooting in 20 minutes during a Dallas Mavericks loss at the Boston Celtics in which he was benched for the final nine minutes of the game after picking up his fifth foul.

"There's nights like this," Rick Carlisle said. "We're just going to flush it and move forward."

Porzingis has struggled to begin his career with the Mavericks after re-signing on a five-year, $158 million contract in July. 

"Of course I want to be out there, but can't blame him," Porzingis said. "I wasn't having a great game. I'm all-in for whatever's best for the team. If the coach thinks he'd rather have me out and have someone else in that's having a better game, let's do it if we can win a basketball game. That's the most important thing, but going forward, I want to make sure I'm out there."

Porzingis is averaging 18.3 points on 40.1% shooting from the floor in nine games for the Mavs. 

"Sometimes I'm not going to get the ball as much as I'd like to, and that leads to me maybe forcing some things and so on," Porzingis said. "It's a work in progress. I know Coach is trying to do the best job he can to get me the ball in the offense and utilize my skills, and I also got to do a better job of making sure I'm effective in those situations."

Via Tim MacMahon/ESPN

dan-man
Sixth Man
And1: 364

Post#2 » by dan-man » Tue Nov 12, 2019 3:49 pm

He hasn't played in the NBA for a couple of years. He's going to be just fine. Shaking off the rust while growing trust in his knee will take a good 50 games.
RHODEY
RealGM
And1: 19,430

Post#3 » by RHODEY » Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:17 pm

KP is getting exposed for what he is a uniquely gifted cream puff, with durability and endurance issues.
BigTex
Senior
And1: 79

Post#4 » by BigTex » Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:25 am

RHODEY wrote:KP is getting exposed for what he is a uniquely gifted cream puff, with durability and endurance issues.

Like every player in the NBA, he has strengths and weaknesses. One of the things that Rick Carlisle excels at it finding out what those are and eventually finding a way to maximize the value of any given players talents. There are almost no Maverick players who get better when they move to another team. However, they have done a very good job of picking up players to have had difficulties with other teams and developing those players. And with most who move on, the slide back toward their previous level of play.

But it will be interesting to see how Porzingas develops on this team and what his ceiling really is. Based on what I've seen so far -- an admittedly short sample -- playing physically against him does seem to throw him off stride somewhat. (Of course, that's true of 90+% of all NBA players.) But he hasn't fully shaken the rust off yet. I think it's way too early to say that the trade is a failure. And depending on where the two draft picks end up, it's not like we gave much away. Dennis Smith, Jr. didn't exactly set the world on fire after the trade last year. My impression of him is that he's a very low tier starting NBA point guard, or a mid to high tier second PG off the bench, if, and only if, he can get over some knucklehead issues and become more coachable. But he does have time to do that and does have some physical talent.
Wildcat
RealGM
And1: 1,478

Post#5 » by Wildcat » Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:39 am

[list=][/list]
RHODEY wrote:KP is getting exposed for what he is a uniquely gifted cream puff, with durability and endurance issues.

He's looked good to me. 18 and 8 is pretty solid for a rusty dude. I've seen half his games. Once he gets his timing back, he'll get better.
RHODEY
RealGM
And1: 19,430

Post#6 » by RHODEY » Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:24 pm

Wildcat wrote:[list=][/list]

He's looked good to me. 18 and 8 is pretty solid for a rusty dude. I've seen half his games. Once he gets his timing back, he'll get better.

40 percent FG% from a big is terrible, everybody on the league can but up 18ppg with low efficiency.
Wildcat
RealGM
And1: 1,478

Post#7 » by Wildcat » Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:57 am

RHODEY wrote:
Wildcat wrote:[list=][/list]

40 percent FG% from a big is terrible, everybody on the league can but up 18ppg with low efficiency.

He's a big who plays in and out. His stroke just isn't there, yet.

Return to Wiretap Discussion