Daryl Morey Has Long Been Considered 'Tenuous Fit' For Tilman Fertitta

Moderators: Domejandro, bwgood77

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 291

Daryl Morey Has Long Been Considered 'Tenuous Fit' For Tilman Fertitta 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Tue Nov 12, 2019 3:58 pm

When Tilman Fertitta bought the Houston Rockets, he inherited the front office of Daryl Morey.

Sources tell Kevin Arnovitz of ESPN that it was "a shotgun marriage...considered a tenuous fit since Fertitta bought the team in 2017."

Morey signed a five-year contract extension in 2019. Shortly before the Rockets were sold to Fertitta by Les Alexander, they signed Morey to a four-year extension.

Morey's Tweet supporting Hong Kong led to a quick rebuke from Fertitta. 

Via Kevin Arnovitz/ESPN

alienpick
Starter
And1: 614

Re: Daryl Morey Has Long Been Considered 'Tenuous Fit' For Tilman Fertitta 

Post#2 » by alienpick » Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:09 pm

Daryl Morey stands with HK protesters who light innocent people, who don’t agree with them, on fire.
Dubious Kitty
Sophomore
And1: 161

Post#3 » by Dubious Kitty » Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:21 pm

alienpick wrote:Daryl Morey stands with HK protesters who light innocent people, who don’t agree with them, on fire.

Stfu Chinese bot
Nikola
Pro Prospect
And1: 333

Post#4 » by Nikola » Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:23 pm

alienpick wrote:Daryl Morey stands with HK protesters who light innocent people, who don’t agree with them, on fire.

The people of hk do not want to be subjected to the tyranny that is china. One protester negative actions is nothing compared the the amount of atrocities China will bring to hk.
oceanlife
Junior
And1: 727

Post#5 » by oceanlife » Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:10 pm

I called it. The NBA already cut a behind the scenes deal with China to ax Morey. They are waiting for us to forget about the incident with China or at least give is a few months or a year of distance and then the Rockets will look for any excuse to can him.
Diss2
Ballboy
And1: 2

Post#6 » by Diss2 » Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:40 pm

Nikola wrote:

The people of hk do not want to be subjected to the tyranny that is china. One protester negative actions is nothing compared the the amount of atrocities China will bring to hk.

One protester negative action? Are you kidding me man? How many innocent citizens in Hongkong have been beaten up by these rioters? Is Searching it in YouTube too difficult?
Diss2
Ballboy
And1: 2

Post#7 » by Diss2 » Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:43 pm

Dubious Kitty wrote:

Stfu Chinese bot

Wow, well done to support “Freedom of speech”. Impressive
NavalAviator94
Analyst
And1: 1,456

Post#8 » by NavalAviator94 » Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:53 pm

I roasted marshmallows on that guy. Chinese propagandists add to the flavor.
Nikola
Pro Prospect

Post#9 » by Nikola » Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:00 pm

Diss2 wrote:
Nikola wrote:

One protester negative action? Are you kidding me man? How many innocent citizens in Hongkong have been beaten up by these rioters? Is Searching it in YouTube too difficult?

Protesters are all individuals, im sure plenty have done unrighteous things. But it pails in comparision to losing their current freedoms. Would you be silent about falling under the laws of a country who has concentration camps. No freedom of speech, press, assembly, religion.
Buckeye-NBAFan
General Manager
And1: 4,522

Post#10 » by Buckeye-NBAFan » Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:19 pm

Sounds like Fertitta's leaking stuff to the media to be able to fire Morey and say it had nothing to do with HK.
Buckeye-NBAFan
General Manager
And1: 4,522

Post#11 » by Buckeye-NBAFan » Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:33 pm

Diss2 wrote:
Nikola wrote:

America had to fight an 8 year war across the entire country to have democracy.

HK been marching peacefully for 30 years, and continue to lose rights.

Any American who supports the idea of the American Revolutionary War is going to be biased when watching HKers march peacefully for 30 years while majority rule continues to be taken from them bit by bit.

HK used to be a British colony. It took many wars for the UK to become a democracy. Kings and dictators doesn't usually step down willingly, and it's valid to believe that it's better they stay in power than to resort to protests that may spiral into violence to overthrow them. But I personally think the fault lies with the King or dictator for oppressing people, not with the oppressed for breaking the leg attached to the foot they've requested nicely to be removed from their neck.
scrabbarista
RealGM
And1: 13,420

Post#12 » by scrabbarista » Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:44 pm

Just want to point out, since the discussion has lead that way, that the "protester" who lit another on fire has not been identified. In other words: if we don't know who he or she is, then we don't know that he or she was even a protester. Anyone can dress up in black and cover his or her face and commit an atrocity (the police are doing it every day in HK, France, Spain, Iraq, Vietnam, Indonesia, and many other countries around the world). Nonetheless, even if it were proven that this was an impassioned pro-democracy protester, the actions of one person obviously don't reflect on the actions of others. In fact, that's one of the tenets of democracy: your actions/voice/votes count - as yours. Or, put another way, you alone are responsible for yourself, and you aren't responsible for others. [Also, to the person saying "check Youtube," there are new videos coming out daily showing police bloodying up unresisting protesters. Just pure shillery, that statement.]

The people of Hong Kong have a righteous cause: freedom. The difference between a free life and an enslaved one is the difference between the life of an Andean condor and the life of a drugged up lab rat. But for humans, because of our intelligence, complexity, and drive for self-determination, the difference is far greater than that simple metaphor implies. Fight for freedom. Stand with Hong Kong.

As to Morey and Fertitta, this isn't exactly a shocking revelation. We have one of the best, if not the best, GM's in the league, and we have an owner whose quotes have marched out in a steady parade of buffoonery. He also wrote a book called Shut Up and Listen!. Not surprising a guy as bright as Morey wouldn't necessarily mesh well with him.

Within about a day of Morey's HK tweet, I said Morey would have to last 18 months for me to be convinced that the tweet wasn't the primary reason for his firing. I won't go into why I thought that, but the clock is ticking. I'm hoping Fertitta (and the league) continue to do the morally right thing by standing by Morey. Not to mention that it would be huge blow to the franchise if Morey were to go.
scrabbarista
RealGM

Post#13 » by scrabbarista » Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:50 pm

Buckeye-NBAFan wrote:
Diss2 wrote:
Nikola wrote:The people of hk do not want to be subjected to the tyranny that is china. One protester negative actions is nothing compared the the amount of atrocities China will bring to hk.

America had to fight an 8 year war across the entire country to have democracy.

HK been marching peacefully for 30 years, and continue to lose rights.

Any American who supports the idea of the American Revolutionary War is going to be biased when watching HKers march peacefully for 30 years while majority rule continues to be taken from them bit by bit.

HK used to be a British colony. It took many wars for the UK to become a democracy. Kings and dictators doesn't usually step down willingly, and it's valid to believe that it's better they stay in power than to resort to protests that may spiral into violence to overthrow them. But I personally think the fault lies with the King or dictator for oppressing people, not with the oppressed for breaking the leg attached to the foot they've requested nicely to be removed from their neck.

Buckeye, bruh. Just look at his post history. 4 posts. Leave him alone. He's being paid per post.
scrabbarista
RealGM

Post#14 » by scrabbarista » Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:51 pm

Nikola wrote:
Diss2 wrote:
Nikola wrote:The people of hk do not want to be subjected to the tyranny that is china. One protester negative actions is nothing compared the the amount of atrocities China will bring to hk.

Protesters are all individuals, im sure plenty have done unrighteous things. But it pails in comparision to losing their current freedoms. Would you be silent about falling under the laws of a country who has concentration camps. No freedom of speech, press, assembly, religion.

Leave him alone. He's made 4 posts. He's a shill. Ignore his nonsense.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,168

Post#15 » by ThunderBolt » Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:42 pm

*Okc future pick watch alert*
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
alienpick
Starter

Post#16 » by alienpick » Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:01 pm

scrabbarista wrote:Just want to point out, since the discussion has lead that way, that the "protester" who lit another on fire has not been identified. In other words: if we don't know who he or she is, then we don't know that he or she was even a protester. Anyone can dress up in black and cover his or her face and commit an atrocity (the police are doing it every day in HK, France, Spain, Iraq, Vietnam, Indonesia, and many other countries around the world). Nonetheless, even if it were proven that this was an impassioned pro-democracy protester, the actions of one person obviously don't reflect on the actions of others. In fact, that's one of the tenets of democracy: your actions/voice/votes count - as yours. Or, put another way, you alone are responsible for yourself, and you aren't responsible for others. [Also, to the person saying "check Youtube," there are new videos coming out daily showing police bloodying up unresisting protesters. Just pure shillery, that statement.]

The people of Hong Kong have a righteous cause: freedom. The difference between a free life and an enslaved one is the difference between the life of an Andean condor and the life of a drugged up lab rat. But for humans, because of our intelligence, complexity, and drive for self-determination, the difference is far greater than that simple metaphor implies. Fight for freedom. Stand with Hong Kong.

As to Morey and Fertitta, this isn't exactly a shocking revelation. We have one of the best, if not the best, GM's in the league, and we have an owner whose quotes have marched out in a steady parade of buffoonery. He also wrote a book called Shut Up and Listen!. Not surprising a guy as bright as Morey wouldn't necessarily mesh well with him.

Within about a day of Morey's HK tweet, I said Morey would have to last 18 months for me to be convinced that the tweet wasn't the primary reason for his firing. I won't go into why I thought that, but the clock is ticking. I'm hoping Fertitta (and the league) continue to do the morally right thing by standing by Morey. Not to mention that it would be huge blow to the franchise if Morey were to go.

Fighting for perceived freedom gives you the righteous right to riot, assault, destroy and burn innocent people’s property/train stations/stores and burn people alive?!? That’s not right, that’s not protesting, that’s self-indulgent anarchy. Morey is a moron to stand beside such scum.

Look at the climate protests, millions of people gathered to protest peacefully and properly. THATS how you do it. The TRUE protestors of HK need to drive the anarchist scum from their ranks if they want support. They should be horrified and disgusted at what Hong Kong has become in the name of their cause.
alienpick
Starter

Post#17 » by alienpick » Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:11 pm

Nikola wrote:
Diss2 wrote:

You realize you just tried to justify burning an innocent human being alive? All because he disagreed with them? There’s no justification for that. There’s no “yes, but...”, no dismissing such actions. That’s straight up ISIS territory evil. You should be ashamed of trying to defend such actions.
alienpick
Starter

Post#18 » by alienpick » Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:23 pm

I should say that I support freedom for the Hong Kong people. I DONT support violence, rioting and psychotic murders; and I don’t support Morey’s moronic actions and the damage it has caused our sport because he couldn’t think things out beforehand. It’s very easy now for others to draw parallels between him and ISIS level psychos now.
IgorK
Veteran
And1: 4,786

Post#19 » by IgorK » Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:27 pm

I count at least 2 Chinese propaganda accounts here. Scary isn't it?
"You want me to own a team and deal with these rich, spoiled stubborn athletes, and try to get them to perform? No thank you." - Kobe

AMG
Nikola
Pro Prospect

Post#20 » by Nikola » Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:45 pm

alienpick wrote:
Nikola wrote:
Diss2 wrote:One protester negative action? Are you kidding me man? How many innocent citizens in Hongkong have been beaten up by these rioters? Is Searching it in YouTube too difficult?

You realize you just tried to justify burning an innocent human being alive? All because he disagreed with them? There’s no justification for that. There’s no “yes, but...”, no dismissing such actions. That’s straight up ISIS territory evil. You should be ashamed of trying to defend such actions.

How did I justify the burning? You can not classify the half a million person protest under their lowest common denominator. Just because someone in the civil rights movement committed a murder doesn't mean the civil rights movement was wrong.

By a much sounder logic you are justifying Tienanmen Square, present day concentration camps, unjustified executions, and an uncountable amount of human rights violations.

Return to Wiretap Discussion