Re: NBA Believes US-China Trade War Resolution Would Help Soothe Their Impasse

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

NBA Believes US-China Trade War Resolution Would Help Soothe Their Impasse 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Tue Nov 12, 2019 3:53 pm

NBA leadership continues to monitor trade negotiations between the United States and China with the belief a resolution both sides find agreeable would help soothe its own relationships with their most profitable foreign market.

China's state-run CCTV has not aired an NBA game through the season's first three weeks, but games have returned to Tencent with the exception of the Houston Rockets. Nobody around the league could offer an approximate timetable for when their impasse with China would be resolved. NBA and CCTV officials have maintained communication.

The Rockets have lost more than $7 million in revenue this season from cancelled Chinese sponsorship agreements and nearly $20 million overall when terminated multiyear deals are calculated, according to sources.

Via Kevin Arnovitz/ESPN

rockmanslim
General Manager
And1: 5,284

Post#2 » by rockmanslim » Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:27 pm

click

"Harden's a guy that averages 26 in the NBA, but if he was on the playground with you he'd only average about 5 because they wouldn't let him get those free throws." --Scott Hastings, April 6, 2013

DoItALL9
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,272

Post#3 » by DoItALL9 » Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:42 pm

Should the players ask for a larger slice of the revenue pie at the next CBA negotiations? Should they be equally responsible for taking the fiscal hit caused by Daryl Morey?

Sent from my LM-G710 using RealGM mobile app
MegaK
Bench Warmer
And1: 133

Post#4 » by MegaK » Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:59 pm

DoItALL9 wrote:Should the players ask for a larger slice of the revenue pie at the next CBA negotiations? Should they be equally responsible for taking the fiscal hit caused by Daryl Morey?

Hit or not Morey just said what we were all feeling. He right bro.
MegaK
Bench Warmer
And1: 133

Post#5 » by MegaK » Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:10 pm

Yo Adam Silver always be looking like an evil alien bro.
TheCage4
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 518

Post#6 » by TheCage4 » Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:50 pm

Silver and the league had no issue with China until Morey posted on social media.

Translation- the US/China tariff war has zero to do with the NBA’s broken business relations.

The NBA will have to become more accustomed to dealing with international fallout from free speech in all overseas markets. The Africa league in 2020 and the future of the NBA in India will not be immune to this, as players and executives will surely share their opinions on human rights issues in those countries.

Bottom line is Silver won’t be able to try and redirect hot button issues so easily.
“And where once you had the freedom to object, to think and speak as you saw fit, you now have censors and systems of surveillance coercing your conformity and soliciting your submission.” -Alan Moore
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,884

Post#7 » by MotownMadness » Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:00 pm

Translation- its Trumps fault Silver is a wuss
scrabbarista
RealGM
And1: 13,703

Post#8 » by scrabbarista » Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:12 am

The people of Hong Kong believe a voice in how they're governed would soothe their impasse.
The man who sleeps on the bed can never fall out of the floor... Winnie the Pooh
Pickled Prunes
General Manager
And1: 1,213

Post#9 » by Pickled Prunes » Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:46 am

DoItALL9 wrote:Should the players ask for a larger slice of the revenue pie at the next CBA negotiations? Should they be equally responsible for taking the fiscal hit caused by Daryl Morey?

If the troops of nations that embrace free speech are willing to pay for it with their lives I believe that NBA players should be willing to pay for it with their wallets. It's not like they'll need to get out of the Jacuzzi to do it. We are talking about something pretty important here... and we are free to do so.

You are free to feel otherwise.
Beam Me Up Foxy
Lead Assistant
And1: 655

Post#10 » by Beam Me Up Foxy » Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:40 am

Bottom line. Keep politics out of sports. I don't care how passionate you are. I don't care how over zealous you are. Don't use your platform for political diatribe. Let basketball be an escape from politics and this will never happen.

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk

Return to Wiretap Discussion