Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Re: Collin Sexton 

Post#81 » by Stillwater » Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:23 pm

doordoor123 wrote:
Stillwater wrote:The game is starting to slow down for Sexton and the kid is proving to be every bit worth the draft spot where he was taken.
evident by this stat line in a Cavs 116 to 101 win over Washington.
Sexton the good : 29 points/3 reb/6 dimes/2 steals.the bad 4 t.o.
Wall all bad for him 0 fg 1 point/ 4 reb / 6 dimes/0 steals/ 1 t.o.

Sexton is shooting 46% and 44% from 3.
In comparison Trey Young is shooting 38% and 25% from 3.
Young is a much better distributor at this point, but overall Sexton is climbing the ladder as a higher achiever long-term and is proving to be much more efficient of a shooter and scorer than the higher touted shooter coming into the draft in Young who ATL passed on Luka for.

Sexton is and remains a steal for CLE at 8

No one believed me. Same when I compared Carter to Horford and now everyone is making that comparison.

I said over and over Sexton was the better long term prospect than low release can't defend Young. What is a little surprising is just how much better already. I expected him to take year to get that shooting to be more efficient. Now he just needs to develop his ability to see the floor better and make more plays for others.
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
nolang1
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,749

Post#82 » by nolang1 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:29 pm

doordoor123 wrote:
Stillwater wrote:The game is starting to slow down for Sexton and the kid is proving to be every bit worth the draft spot where he was taken.

Young is a much better distributor at this point, but overall Sexton is climbing the ladder as a higher achiever long-term and is proving to be much more efficient of a shooter and scorer than the higher touted shooter coming into the draft in Young who ATL passed on Luka for.

No one believed me. Same when I compared Carter to Horford and now everyone is making that comparison.

People have been making that comparison since Carter was a high school sophomore.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,225

Post#83 » by doordoor123 » Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:06 am

nolang1 wrote:
doordoor123 wrote:

People have been making that comparison since Carter was a high school sophomore.

Yeah, but it died down here when he “wasn’t playing defense” and “wasn’t passing the ball” and “didn’t show up on the stat sheet” and “too slow” and “can’t do a P&R”
King Ken
General Manager
And1: 5,375

Post#84 » by King Ken » Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:53 am

Stillwater wrote:
doordoor123 wrote:

I said over and over Sexton was the better long term prospect than low release can't defend Young. What is a little surprising is just how much better already. I expected him to take year to get that shooting to be more efficient. Now he just needs to develop his ability to see the floor better and make more plays for others.

I disagree. I always felt Young is a better long term prospect and that Sexton is better out of college. That's said, Trae clearly has to improve his shooting motion. Shooting from the hip at his size isn't going to work. He is not 7ft with 7'5 wingspan like JJJ where he can get away with it in the NBA. That's something he is going to have to change. Atlanta didn't pass on Luka, they traded out of the spot and landed Young and a 1st in this year's draft.

I agree, he was a great pick for Cleveland. I loved it at the time and felt it would work out well for Cleveland. Glad he overcame his early season struggles.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#85 » by Stillwater » Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:47 pm

King Ken wrote:
Stillwater wrote:
doordoor123 wrote:

I disagree. I always felt Young is a better long term prospect and that Sexton is better out of college. That's said, Trae clearly has to improve his shooting motion. Shooting from the hip at his size isn't going to work. He is not 7ft with 7'5 wingspan like JJJ where he can get away with it in the NBA. That's something he is going to have to change. Atlanta didn't pass on Luka, they traded out of the spot and landed Young and a 1st in this year's draft.

I agree, he was a great pick for Cleveland. I loved it at the time and felt it would work out well for Cleveland. Glad he overcame his early season struggles.

Even if Young completely reinvents his shot mechanics (highly difficult)that are not currently successful without a lot of spacing,it is highly unlikely after years of doing so he would have the same efficiency (if he's still in the league) that he does possess when nobody is on top of him.This is why I said a thousand times over once teams started game planning against him in college he was the inefficient chucker we'd see at the next level.
I think his shot mechanics will remain as they are and he will continue to be a high assist point guard who will eventually lose his golden star of hope and be shopped...with no better than average league defense against other small pg's he can never be a starting pg on a contender.
Even if he learns to be a better on ball defender, he will not be a better defender because he has no length, he might be average instead of terrible, but never be good.
Sexton has length & speed to defend better long term to the point of at a high level,is efficient offensively(usually) and is not chucking(usually), but has a ways to go as a distributor even though his ability to see the floor is already evident in spurts.
King Ken
General Manager

Post#86 » by King Ken » Tue Sep 3, 2019 6:05 am

Stillwater wrote:
King Ken wrote:
Stillwater wrote:I said over and over Sexton was the better long term prospect than low release can't defend Young. What is a little surprising is just how much better already. I expected him to take year to get that shooting to be more efficient. Now he just needs to develop his ability to see the floor better and make more plays for others.

Even if Young completely reinvents his shot mechanics (highly difficult)that are not currently successful without a lot of spacing,it is highly unlikely after years of doing so he would have the same efficiency (if he's still in the league) that he does possess when nobody is on top of him.This is why I said a thousand times over once teams started game planning against him in college he was the inefficient chucker we'd see at the next level.
I think his shot mechanics will remain as they are and he will continue to be a high assist point guard who will eventually lose his golden star of hope and be shopped...with no better than average league defense against other small pg's he can never be a starting pg on a contender.
Even if he learns to be a better on ball defender, he will not be a better defender because he has no length, he might be average instead of terrible, but never be good.
Sexton has length & speed to defend better long term to the point of at a high level,is efficient offensively(usually) and is not chucking(usually), but has a ways to go as a distributor even though his ability to see the floor is already evident in spurts.

Well, that didn't last too long. Trae shortly figured it out right around the time of this post. Trae had to deal with extreme coverages and people thinking he was Steph Curry. Collins got healthy around this time, Hureter got inserted into the starting 5. He made the adjustments and had an extremely successful season in particular during the 2nd half. Even changed up his shot is bit. That said, Trae clearly has better upside than Sexton and of course like I've said to you plenty of times, Trae is a generational offensive talent and soon player.

But to the player I really want to talk about is Sexton. I really like the move for him to SG. I think if he can develop into a Jrue Holiday type plus his intangibles, he can be a heck of a player. I really like what CLE is doing and I think 2021-2022 is going to be the time we see CLE make a major jump.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#87 » by Stillwater » Tue Sep 3, 2019 12:30 pm

King Ken wrote:
Stillwater wrote:
King Ken wrote:I disagree. I always felt Young is a better long term prospect and that Sexton is better out of college. That's said, Trae clearly has to improve his shooting motion. Shooting from the hip at his size isn't going to work. He is not 7ft with 7'5 wingspan like JJJ where he can get away with it in the NBA. That's something he is going to have to change. Atlanta didn't pass on Luka, they traded out of the spot and landed Young and a 1st in this year's draft.

Well, that didn't last too long. Trae shortly figured it out right around the time of this post. Trae had to deal with extreme coverages and people thinking he was Steph Curry. Collins got healthy around this time, Hureter got inserted into the starting 5. He made the adjustments and had an extremely successful season in particular during the 2nd half. Even changed up his shot is bit. That said, Trae clearly has better upside than Sexton and of course like I've said to you plenty of times, Trae is a generational offensive talent and soon player.

But to the player I really want to talk about is Sexton. I really like the move for him to SG. I think if he can develop into a Jrue Holiday type plus his intangibles, he can be a heck of a player. I really like what CLE is doing and I think 2021-2022 is going to be the time we see CLE make a major jump.
digging up post from 2018 eh... :crazy:
you already know my take on young and it will not change unless he starts defending, his ceiling is hyped and unattainable. i do not agree he has shown more potential at all...he did and probably does have better cast around him though this coning season so im sure the boasting will continue. he will be exposed to everyone once the hawks are put in a playoff setting.
Sexton has not been moved to off ball btw garland is just as bad as young defensively and should be the 6th man but cavs are still in tank mode so position is debatable this year
King Ken
General Manager

Post#88 » by King Ken » Tue Sep 3, 2019 12:41 pm

Stillwater wrote:
King Ken wrote:
Stillwater wrote:Even if Young completely reinvents his shot mechanics (highly difficult)that are not currently successful without a lot of spacing,it is highly unlikely after years of doing so he would have the same efficiency (if he's still in the league) that he does possess when nobody is on top of him.This is why I said a thousand times over once teams started game planning against him in college he was the inefficient chucker we'd see at the next level.

you already know my take on young and it will not change unless he starts defending, his ceiling is hyped and unattainable.
Sexton has not been moved to off ball

Trae defending improved leaps and bounds in the 2nd half. He became one of our best perimeter shot contest players and his communication became night and day better. My hope is that he becomes John Stockton in the long term as he gets more strength and gets more comfortable with his role on defense. He has good lateral movements. He just has **** tools which ain't getting better anytime soon. That said, he can move, just needs to become a dog on off the ball defense. He has the natural awareness, just needs to develop using it more on end of the floor throughout his career. He will never be more than a slightly minus DBPM player. Neither was Stockton. That's my goals for him long term. Not that he will reach it, just my goals. He probably won't but I'll wait and see.

He will be though, just a matter of time before Garland takes the helm.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#89 » by Stillwater » Tue Sep 3, 2019 2:48 pm

King Ken wrote:
Stillwater wrote:
King Ken wrote:Well, that didn't last too long. Trae shortly figured it out right around the time of this post. Trae had to deal with extreme coverages and people thinking he was Steph Curry. Collins got healthy around this time, Hureter got inserted into the starting 5. He made the adjustments and had an extremely successful season in particular during the 2nd half. Even changed up his shot is bit. That said, Trae clearly has better upside than Sexton and of course like I've said to you plenty of times, Trae is a generational offensive talent and soon player.

you already know my take on young and it will not change unless he starts defending, his ceiling is hyped and unattainable.

Trae defending improved leaps and bounds in the 2nd half. He became one of our best perimeter shot contest players and his communication became night and day better. My hope is that he becomes John Stockton in the long term as he gets more strength and gets more comfortable with his role on defense. He has good lateral movements. He just has **** tools which ain't getting better anytime soon. That said, he can move, just needs to become a dog on off the ball defense. He has the natural awareness, just needs to develop using it more on end of the floor throughout his career. He will never be more than a slightly minus DBPM player. Neither was Stockton. That's my goals for him long term. Not that he will reach it, just my goals. He probably won't but I'll wait and see.

I added to my original response , and yes Garland could end up the starting pg for CLE & I could see Sexton playing well off ball as he showed it at times last season but his length and speed is a much more positive asset for him to become a + defender compared to the other two.
I personally think Garland was a bit of a reach except that he can really shoot it and so if that transfers which it may or may not he still may be nothing more than a 6th man on a contender. His passing ability is not on Youngs level, but his handles are and the upside is there on ball as well as the obvious placement off ball with Sexton as the lead guard.
King Ken
General Manager

Post#90 » by King Ken » Tue Sep 3, 2019 2:51 pm

Stillwater wrote:
King Ken wrote:
Stillwater wrote:you already know my take on young and it will not change unless he starts defending, his ceiling is hyped and unattainable.

I added to my original response , and yes Garland could end up the starting pg for CLE & I could see Sexton playing well off ball as he showed it at times last season but his length and speed is a much more positive asset for him to become a + defender compared to the other two.
I personally think Garland was a bit of a reach except that he can really shoot it and so if that transfers which it may or may not he still may be nothing more than a 6th man on a contender. His passing ability is not on Youngs level, but his handles are and the upside is there on ball as well as the obvious placement off ball with Sexton as the lead guard.

I agree. You boys are in good hands with Coach B as well. I like what the Cavs are doing
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,048

Post#91 » by The_Hater » Sat Sep 21, 2019 8:26 am

King Ken wrote:
Stillwater wrote:
King Ken wrote:I disagree. I always felt Young is a better long term prospect and that Sexton is better out of college. That's said, Trae clearly has to improve his shooting motion. Shooting from the hip at his size isn't going to work. He is not 7ft with 7'5 wingspan like JJJ where he can get away with it in the NBA. That's something he is going to have to change. Atlanta didn't pass on Luka, they traded out of the spot and landed Young and a 1st in this year's draft.

The difference between a Holiday and Sexton on the defensive side of the ball is pretty significant. Sexton is just plain awful defensively.

Sexton has some talent, but his instincts and bball IQ are lacking. He’s young, so I understand a lot of people will say he just needs time but I personally wouldn’t bet on it. His tunnel vision and inability to see passing lanes and play unselfishly aren’t going to fix easily, you need at least part of these things in your DNA.

I personally think we’re looking at another Brandon Knight here. Athletic. Loves his jumper. Terrible vision and floor game. Terrible defender. Fixing terrible skills into positive ones is just a bad long term bet. Some GM’s will still be intrigued with him the first few seasons before figuring out that you just can’t win with a guard like this.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#92 » by Stillwater » Sat Sep 21, 2019 11:02 am

The_Hater wrote:
King Ken wrote:
Stillwater wrote:Even if Young completely reinvents his shot mechanics (highly difficult)that are not currently successful without a lot of spacing,it is highly unlikely after years of doing so he would have the same efficiency (if he's still in the league) that he does possess when nobody is on top of him.This is why I said a thousand times over once teams started game planning against him in college he was the inefficient chucker we'd see at the next level.

Some GM’s will still be intrigued with him the first few seasons before figuring out that you just can’t win with a guard like this.

in Sextons corner defensively stands decent length but the biggest take away is he is getting yoked going into his 2nd season and he will be able to stop the bully drivers now. have you seen him work? long way from a finished commodity.
the notion that you think he has low bbiq or cant see passing lanes is your error in judgement and is much more a case of him wanting to win and not trusting bad playing disinterested teammates like his rookie season. so tunnel vision is not accurate of a take to somehow critique the pg upside even though he is a score first guard and leans towards doing so. But after all of that the odds Garland is capable of ever defending 2s probably says they like Sexton defending 2s. i dont think either is a true pg in the trad sense and its the combo of their skills that will determine the success or failure of the experiment.
King Ken
General Manager

Post#93 » by King Ken » Sat Sep 21, 2019 2:17 pm

The_Hater wrote:
King Ken wrote:

The difference between a Holiday and Sexton on the defensive side of the ball is pretty significant. Sexton is just plain awful defensively.

Sexton has some talent, but his instincts and bball IQ are lacking. He’s young, so I understand a lot of people will say he just needs time but I personally wouldn’t bet on it. His tunnel vision and inability to see passing lanes and play unselfishly aren’t going to fix easily, you need at least part of these things in your DNA.

I personally think we’re looking at another Brandon Knight here. Athletic. Loves his jumper. Terrible vision and floor game. Terrible defender. Fixing terrible skills into positive ones is just a bad long term bet. Some GM’s will still be intrigued with him the first few seasons before figuring out that you just can’t win with a guard like this.

He is a lot more talented than BK. His defense improved quite significantly in the 2nd half of the season. A big part of his defensive issues in the 1st half of the season was the game was moving too fast for him. Once it slowed down, he became more effective.

I am higher on him this even if I am not as high on him as Stillwater
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,184

Post#94 » by clyde21 » Sat Sep 21, 2019 6:03 pm

Darius Garland is considerably a better prospect, they should give the keys to offense to him instead of Sexton (which looks like is what they're planning on doing)
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#95 » by Stillwater » Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:36 pm

Sexton proving what many believed about him...in CLE
Continuing his upward path on both sides of the ball.
Garland is a better floor general but not at all looking like the better player long term, time will tell.
overall Sexton playing off ball seems to be the best move for now as most defenders cant stay with him and his best work remains as a scorer but is now letting the game come to him+ he is consistently wreaking havok defensively this season against really good offensive guards,(Beal looked pedestrian)which was the most important thing for him to do,yes he still makes a ton of mental mistakes defensively , but the kid reminds me of a lower iq big with elite potential that needed time to develop, but already is now emerging as a premier player from that class. not to many guards get this good this fast either.
orlandomanic
Bench Warmer
And1: 334

Post#96 » by orlandomanic » Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:37 am

Sexton hasn't grown or gotten better and still looks like a very poor shooter with low IQ. I don't know why they passed up on Shai Gilgeous-Alexander when he is clearly the better prospect of the two and now a year and a half later, they are still regretting passing on SGA.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#97 » by Stillwater » Sun Nov 17, 2019 5:18 am

orlandomanic wrote:Sexton hasn't grown or gotten better and still looks like a very poor shooter with low IQ. I don't know why they passed up on Shai Gilgeous-Alexander when he is clearly the better prospect of the two and now a year and a half later, they are still regretting passing on SGA.

basically everything you said is wrong.
sga didnt work out for and didnt want any part of cle. wether he would have been the pick we will never know. Sexton improved all season and has shown up to training camp significantly stronger and it shows on the defensive end above all else.
to say he hasn't grown or gotten better is a laughable take.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#98 » by Stillwater » Thu Jan 21, 2021 3:13 am

Sexton serving up some huge servings of crow tonight
King Ken
General Manager

Post#99 » by King Ken » Thu Jan 21, 2021 3:57 am

Stillwater wrote:Sexton serving up some huge servings of crow tonight

He's been very good all year.
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,218

Post#100 » by EvanZ » Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:50 pm

Stillwater wrote:Sexton serving up some huge servings of crow tonight

He's better than I thought. Much better. But fundamentally he's still a 6th-man type or needs to play with a big primary. I just don't see how he's going to help a team win in the Playoffs as a starting 2.
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.

Return to NBA Draft