ImageImageImage

Marcus Smart, aka the "Cobra" – Celtics de facto Captain?

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

5InOfLouisville
Senior
And1: 818

Re: Marcus Smart, aka the "Cobra" – Celtics de facto Captain? 

Post#81 » by 5InOfLouisville » Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:35 pm

I was never a Smart hater. I liked his new contract from day 1, always thought he was a valuable piece,and loved him as a player, although I occasionally found him maddening at times.

I did, however, think that a lot of other celtics fans overrated him.

Well, now it seems as though he is properly-rated. He has upped his game. I am impressed.
KGboss wrote:Brown doesnt need you to clean his jock strap for him

Captain_Caveman wrote:You are perfectly welcome to never read or respond to my posts ever again. I don't find you particularly knowledgeable or insightful from anything I have read to date.

:cry:
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 89,252

Post#82 » by zoyathedestroya » Thu Nov 14, 2019 4:22 pm

Read on Twitter
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 53,806

Post#83 » by Parliament10 » Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:02 pm

LarryBirdsFingr wrote:
zoyathedestroya wrote:Image

IT bleeds green

That's Great to know that all those Celtics and Staff were there.
Isaiah Thomas being there too, is Fantastic.
"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
zoyathedestroya
RealGM

Post#84 » by zoyathedestroya » Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:09 pm

Oh Captain, my Captain!

Read on Twitter
zoyathedestroya
RealGM

Post#85 » by zoyathedestroya » Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:29 am

Smart at center -- Stretch-6 Celtics is our version of the Death Lineup.
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,627

Post#86 » by Fencer reregistered » Sat Nov 16, 2019 3:01 am

zoyathedestroya wrote:Oh Captain, my Captain!

Read on Twitter

What's falling out there? Wallet and similar pocket stuff?
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
GuyClinch
RealGM
And1: 1,478

Post#87 » by GuyClinch » Sun Nov 17, 2019 5:20 am

Smart should be captain now. His offense game is boring - but effective. Threes and deep threes dominate the NBA. I remember when we had all these posters convinced he should stop shooting the 3s. Well that never happened - he stuck with it because its a hell of alot easier to hit 40% of 3s then 60% of 2s.

I generally hate the 'intangible' guys who actually never do anything. But Smart is not one of those guys his intangibles are really tangible - get in guys faces - never backing down - playing physical ball - always hustling etc.

He never developed into the front line PG we hoped he would be - doesn't seem to be as quick on the offensive end. But he is his own guy - pretty unique.. And Danny has treated us to three excellent PGs in a row with IT2 in his prime, Kyrie (who might be a d-bag but is incredible at basketball) and now Kemba who is also great at basketball and by all accounts a swell guy on and off the court..

So Smart gets to be Smart. Hayward and Kemba might be our two best players but Smart is up there and the soul of the current Celtics.
brackdan70
RealGM
And1: 8,184

Post#88 » by brackdan70 » Sun Nov 17, 2019 2:18 pm

Assist/ turnover ratio is very good. Guy takes care of the ball...among other things.
Sign here
zoyathedestroya
RealGM

Post#89 » by zoyathedestroya » Sun Nov 17, 2019 2:21 pm

Read on Twitter

Chase Center is super new so he really meant all away games vs. the Warriors. Smart IS 4-0 against them. I guess he was injured the last two times we lost at Oracle.
31to6
RealGM
And1: 27,954

Post#90 » by 31to6 » Sun Nov 17, 2019 3:11 pm

Our 21st century Dennis Johnson is really coming into his own.

And don’t forget he kicked Giannis’ ass and got in his head for good measure, which is a good bit of business to have gotten done so early in the season.
Paul Pierce appreciation society.
Half-Full
Bench Warmer
And1: 2,127

Post#91 » by Half-Full » Sun Nov 17, 2019 4:35 pm

GuyClinch wrote:I generally hate the 'intangible' guys who actually never do anything. But Smart is not one of those guys his intangibles are really tangible - get in guys faces - never backing down - playing physical ball - always hustling etc.

Great quote. :clap:
FeedReed
Starter
And1: 839

Post#92 » by FeedReed » Sun Nov 17, 2019 4:40 pm

i think we know smart is the de facto captain but stevens would never name him that, as he may think kemba would take it as a sign of disrespect.
31to6
RealGM
And1: 27,954

Post#93 » by 31to6 » Sun Nov 17, 2019 4:50 pm

Doubt anyone cares about the captain label, but with Al gone/out of the way (for all his great pro/great guyness, he was mostly mute in terms of rallying the troops) Marcus is now The Guy. Though at full strength our glut of wings keeps him on the bench a fair chunk of the time (my hope had been that Smart would be our starting point but probably no one wants to talk about Vucevic right now:)
Paul Pierce appreciation society.
zoyathedestroya
RealGM

Post#94 » by zoyathedestroya » Sun Nov 17, 2019 4:57 pm

31to6 wrote:Doubt anyone cares about the captain label, but with Al gone/out of the way (for all his great pro/great guyness, he was mostly mute in terms of rallying the troops) Marcus is now The Guy. Though at full strength our glut of wings keeps him on the bench a fair chunk of the time (my hope had been that Smart would be our starting point but probably no one wants to talk about Vucevic right now:)

Smart is essentially our starting point guard right now. At least on offense. Once Hayward is healthy, Gordo is essentially our starting point forward. Stevens' system doesn't really require a traditional PG. Kemba is more of an attack scoring guard who just happens to defend opposing PGs due to his size.
Big Joke Line
Sixth Man
And1: 1,692

Post#95 » by Big Joke Line » Mon Nov 18, 2019 5:23 am

31to6 wrote:Doubt anyone cares about the captain label, but with Al gone/out of the way (for all his great pro/great guyness, he was mostly mute in terms of rallying the troops) Marcus is now The Guy. Though at full strength our glut of wings keeps him on the bench a fair chunk of the time (my hope had been that Smart would be our starting point but probably no one wants to talk about Vucevic right now:)

Al brought versatility and huge BBall IQ. He wasn’t a leader at all IMO. Guy dragged ass at least half his regular season games here. That’s the opposite of a leader.
Hey Man, nice shot!
GuyClinch
RealGM
And1: 1,478

Post#96 » by GuyClinch » Mon Nov 18, 2019 6:01 am

Big Joke Line wrote:

Al brought versatility and huge BBall IQ. He wasn’t a leader at all IMO. Guy dragged ass at least half his regular season games here. That’s the opposite of a leader.

This. Al was a good guy - smart - said the right stuff. But not really a leader type - he is totally a guy that likes to follow. There is nothing wrong with that its just who he is. He wants to contribute with key shots and such. But doesn't want the responsibility of being the main guy - hence the trip out of town.

Kemba is a leader - IT2 is a leader.. Horford not so much.. Horford is way more McHale then Bird..
jmr07019
General Manager
And1: 7,755

Post#97 » by jmr07019 » Mon Nov 18, 2019 6:44 pm

I love Smart and he's been mostly awesome this year but masked by his excellent decision making and improved 3pt% is his absolutely dreadful 2pt% ~ 38%. That's dragged his TS% down to .522 .... below league average.
Spoiler:
For reference the Knicks had the worst team TS% in the league last year and were at .529. League average seems to be about .555. https://www.basketball-reference.com/leagues/NBA_2019.html
Smart shot between 41% and 43% on 2's his first 4 years before jumping up to 51% last year. If he can get into the high 40's on 2's he should go back to being a league average scorer or hopefully above.
Show Love Spread Love
GoGreen
Analyst
And1: 3,486

Post#98 » by GoGreen » Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:20 am

Great win vs Phoenix, but this man chucked 10 ****ing 3s tonight!! Good Lord. I thought he learned how to control himself last season, but he reverted back to his old ways. Watching him on offense take these awful long range shots just kills me.
Feed Your Head
RealGM
And1: 69,465

Post#99 » by Feed Your Head » Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:29 am

GoGreen wrote:Great win vs Phoenix, but this man chucked 10 ****ing 3s tonight!! Good Lord. I thought he learned how to control himself last season, but he reverted back to his old ways. Watching him on offense take these awful long range shots just kills me.

Considering he's already had games of 5-11, 4-7, 4-8, 4-9, and 5-9 from three this year, maybe the problem is your perception of how he used to shoot from deep?

85% of the threes he takes now are good shots, and he almost always swings the ball when it's not a good shot. Relax.
GoGreen
Analyst
And1: 3,486

Post#100 » by GoGreen » Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:43 am

The Comedian wrote:
GoGreen wrote:Great win vs Phoenix, but this man chucked 10 ****ing 3s tonight!! Good Lord. I thought he learned how to control himself last season, but he reverted back to his old ways. Watching him on offense take these awful long range shots just kills me.

Considering he's already had games of 5-11, 4-7, 4-8, 4-9, and 5-9 from three this year, maybe the problem is your perception of how he used to shoot from deep?

85% of the threes he takes now are good shots, and he almost always swings the ball when it's not a good shot. Relax.

He's always been streaky and as a result, I just don't trust him to keep it up. His % took a hit tonight, so it's slowly creeping back down to .350. And id say more like 65% are good. He has too many stupid deep ball 3s, and for someone whose fg% is so bad, he really needs to control himself like he did last yr. LOVE how he's driving to the rim more, though. Def want to see more of that.

Return to Boston Celtics