LaMelo Ball

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

atlantabbq99
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,600

LaMelo Ball 

Post#1 » by atlantabbq99 » Sat Nov 16, 2019 2:10 am

I don't like anything about this guy's game. No fundamentals, no IQ, his defensive IQ is a negative, and he has an ugly and broken jump shot just like his brother.

The only good thing I can say about they guy is that he has good height and is a willing passer.

His jump shot is just really bad, like on the same level bad as RJ Barrett and Lonzo Ball bad.

On defense, he doesn't try and he doesn't care, even though he has long arms and decent athleticism.

One thing that stands out for me is that he really gives no effort during the game. The only time he gives effort is when he has the ball in his hands, but if he is playing off ball, you never see him working or hustling. I watched a few games and I was trying to see how many times Melo would sprint or dive for a loose ball, or help set a pick on a back screen and I didn't see any hustle from the guy at any point.

shakes0
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,925

Re: LaMelo Ball 

Post#2 » by shakes0 » Sat Nov 16, 2019 3:35 am

Other than that how did you like the play Mrs. Lincoln?
KobesScarf
Veteran
And1: 602

Post#3 » by KobesScarf » Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:06 am

He has a very good jumper. If he can tighten his ball handling he'll be a great offensive player

Sent from my SM-J337P using RealGM mobile app
nybluemeadow
Rookie
And1: 508

Post#4 » by nybluemeadow » Sun Nov 17, 2019 1:08 pm

KobesScarf wrote:He has a very good jumper. If he can tighten his ball handling he'll be a great offensive player

Sent from my SM-J337P using RealGM mobile app

Lamelo is currently shooting 21% from three and 33% overall FG. His jump shot sucks! He is just a garbage ball player all around.
GimmeDat
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 16,880

Post#5 » by GimmeDat » Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:32 am

His form's totally inconsistent. Yes, the actual action could go with a rebuild, but it's when he doesn't get set/get his legs into the shot that he bricks them. When he does these things he actually has his moments as a shooter.

The %'s are also skewed by really bad shot selection. He plays really well most of the game, when he's attacking he's efficient and makes plays for others, but then every now and then he just decides to iso and take a deep/contested 3 completely out of his own flow.

He's not a garbage player all-around - he's doing a bunch of things at an elite level. But if you wanted him to be the best that he can be right now, you'd tell him to just put the jump-shot away completely.
MemphisX
Analyst
And1: 3,553

Post#6 » by MemphisX » Mon Nov 18, 2019 3:20 am

atlantabbq99 wrote:I don't like anything about this guy's game. No fundamentals, no IQ, his defensive IQ is a negative, and he has an ugly and broken jump shot just like his brother.

The only good thing I can say about they guy is that he has good height and is a willing passer.

His jump shot is just really bad, like on the same level bad as RJ Barrett and Lonzo Ball bad.

On defense, he doesn't try and he doesn't care, even though he has long arms and decent athleticism.

One thing that stands out for me is that he really gives no effort during the game. The only time he gives effort is when he has the ball in his hands, but if he is playing off ball, you never see him working or hustling. I watched a few games and I was trying to see how many times Melo would sprint or dive for a loose ball, or help set a pick on a back screen and I didn't see any hustle from the guy at any point.

You didn't watch a game. These things are like 180 from what is really going on in games. He is not a good point of attack defender and his shot is janky asf but other than that it is like you haven't seen a single full NBL game.
Check out my Memphis Grizzlies Youtube Channel --->>> https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbB6yGykQEUwl9hqWYVp45g
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#7 » by No-Man » Mon Nov 18, 2019 3:55 pm

He has been trotting two different shots out there, one with much more input from the legs, like a real jumper and the other more of a set shot, like bigs tend to use
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,047

Post#8 » by The_Hater » Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:04 pm

I think Melo is basically his brother, but he’s much worse on defense. Terrific handle, dribble drive game, vision and passing skills, terrible shooter and defender. Every player has their strengths and weaknesses but he’s missing 2 very important skills needed in today’s league.

I also think that he falls well below the top 5-6 picks. His shooting is going to hurt his stock and now that teams have seen the Levar show, they’re going to be less likely to ignore it the 2nd time around.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,126

Post#9 » by clyde21 » Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:12 pm

The_Hater wrote:I think Melo is basically his brother, but he’s much worse on defense. Terrific handle, dribble drive game, vision and passing skills, terrible shooter and defender. Every player has their strengths and weaknesses but those are 2 very important skills to have in today’s league.

I also think that he falls well below the top 5-6 picks. His shooting is going to hurt his stock and now that teams have seen the Levar show, they’re going to be less likely to ignore it the 2nd time around.

well i think that's what made Lonzo a much more digestable top pick...the defense, even when the shot isn't falling you can always rely on Zo's defense, Lamelo on the other hand doesn't have that baseline, so when he's shooting poorly and not making the right decisions, he's a complete net negative on the court
HeadtopChunes
Head Coach
And1: 10,224

Post#10 » by HeadtopChunes » Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:05 pm

MemphisX
Analyst

Post#11 » by MemphisX » Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:18 pm

I think people are really missing his development curve. So much more upside left with his shot and his body.
Check out my Memphis Grizzlies Youtube Channel --->>> https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbB6yGykQEUwl9hqWYVp45g
clyde21
RealGM

Post#12 » by clyde21 » Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:35 pm

MemphisX wrote:I think people are really missing his development curve. So much more upside left with his shot and his body.

maybe, but you can say that about almost everyone.
HeadtopChunes
Head Coach

Post#13 » by HeadtopChunes » Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:59 pm

clyde21 wrote:
MemphisX wrote:I think people are really missing his development curve. So much more upside left with his shot and his body.

Disagree, there’s not many players with the natural talent he has. Especially with the mix terms of passing, touch and size quickness along with a great handle.

I think his ultimate outcome depends entirely on the quality of development staff he lands with.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#14 » by clyde21 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:09 am

HeadtopChunes wrote:
clyde21 wrote:

Disagree, there’s not many players with the natural talent he has. Especially with the mix terms of passing, touch and size quickness along with a great handle.

I think his ultimate outcome depends entirely on the quality of development staff he lands with.

he has his strengths, i don't think anyone is saying his not a first round or even top20 guy, but he doesn't come without real flaws as well that are gonna be hard for him to overcome

i don't he's Lonzo level, cuz as i said earlier, you can at least always count on Zo to be a good defender. can't say the same for LaMelo.
HeadtopChunes
Head Coach

Post#15 » by HeadtopChunes » Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:25 am

clyde21 wrote:
HeadtopChunes wrote:
clyde21 wrote:

he has his strengths, i don't think anyone is saying his not a first round or even top20 guy, but he doesn't come without real flaws as well that are gonna be hard for him to overcome

i don't he's Lonzo level, cuz as i said earlier, you can at least always count on Zo to be a good defender. can't say the same for LaMelo.

Yeah I think what makes him such a fun prospect is how polarizing he is. It be boring if we all had the same opinions

I think his defense is definitely a concern but I also think if you look at his physical tools and court awareness + he looks decent when locked in, you might be able to project him to be better in the nba

He is also playing on the worst team in the nbl so I’m not suprised at inconsistent effort similar to Ben Simmons at LSU.

In terms of Lonzo comparisons I think he has more potential as a playmaker because his handle is significantly better at this stage something Lonzo still struggles with which leads to him being ineffective at the halfcourt

He’s hitting FTs at a better rate too although it’s not great at 73% and I’d like to see him get to the line more.
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,884
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Post#16 » by NO-KG-AI » Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:45 am

Projecting someone with poor shooting splits and awful shooting mechanics to be a good shooter is being very generous.
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
MemphisX
Analyst

Post#17 » by MemphisX » Tue Nov 19, 2019 3:14 am

NO-KG-AI wrote:Projecting someone with poor shooting splits and awful shooting mechanics to be a good shooter is being very generous.

Yeah, this is where I was with Reddish last season. At some point you do have to show some improvement DURING the season. So we will see.
orlandomanic
Bench Warmer
And1: 334

Post#18 » by orlandomanic » Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:44 am

LaMelo is an okay prospect. I don't agree with the OP that he is as bad as he says or a garbage player.

I think he has alot of potential but he also has a few major flaw that can maybe be corrected.

With that said, I don't think he is worth a lottery pick or even a first round pick, but I wouldn't mind getting him in the late second round or undrafted free agent.

Like a lot have already mentioned, his jump shot needs alot of work. He shows some flashes of being a good player from time to time but he is going to need alot of coaching to bring up his offensive IQ and defensive IQ because he looks lost most of the game.

I think he can be a poor man's Shawn Livingston and maybe eventually be a 7th or 8th man off the bench in time.
MemphisX
Analyst

Post#19 » by MemphisX » Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:44 am

orlandomanic wrote:LaMelo is an okay prospect. I don't agree with the OP that he is as bad as he says or a garbage player.

I think he has alot of potential but he also has a few major flaw that can maybe be corrected.

With that said, I don't think he is worth a lottery pick or even a first round pick, but I wouldn't mind getting him in the late second round or undrafted free agent.

Like a lot have already mentioned, his jump shot needs alot of work. He shows some flashes of being a good player from time to time but he is going to need alot of coaching to bring up his offensive IQ and defensive IQ because he looks lost most of the game.

I think he can be a poor man's Shawn Livingston and maybe eventually be a 7th or 8th man off the bench in time.

A 7th/8th man in a rotation is a 1st round pick.
crows2
Senior
And1: 553

Post#20 » by crows2 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:34 am

MemphisX wrote:
NO-KG-AI wrote:Projecting someone with poor shooting splits and awful shooting mechanics to be a good shooter is being very generous.

Yeah, this is where I was with Reddish last season. At some point you do have to show some improvement DURING the season. So we will see.

If you’re talking purely about shooting, I agree. If you’re talking about their overall performances, Lamelo has had a far better season in a professional league than Reddish had against amateurs last season.

Return to NBA Draft