Moderator: lilfishi22

Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,607

Re: The Official Metamoris/BJJ/Grappling Thread 

Post#441 » by Duke4life831 » Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:27 pm

REDDzone wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:Laughing in general against a Buchecha attack is a hell of a statement haha. For a match that didnt have much, that was the telling point in my opinion. It wasn't even a fake cocky laugh by Gordon, you could tell it was a real, "wait are you serious right now" reaction by him. And Buchecha's reaction was like the, "I had to try something" haha.

Gordon put on a freaking show this weekend. The gap between him and everyone else is ridiculously large at the moment.

Not to harp on this but I heard an interview or insta post or something where he basically said his first match is what happens when someone tries to play jiu jitsu with him (back take within 45 seconds, submisison in about 1.5 mins) and the rest of the matches are what happens when guys try to stall on top and just play defense the entire time without opening up at all. I thought that was telling, and true. Props to Spriggs for trying SOMETHING with the backtake attempt off the HH entry but it ended with him on bottom and then back taken and strangles very shortly after.

Most of the time I would think whoever said that was just being cocky and bragging. But I honestly think he meant it. It looked like he was toying with everyone all weekend. He made countless people look like amateurs. I mean look how easy he dealt with Tonon, that was ridiculous.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#442 » by Duke4life831 » Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:29 pm

REDDzone wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:
REDDzone wrote:Also, anyone see Lachlan's run?

I didnt. After his match with Gordon I saw a ton of people talking about this great run he was putting together though. Sad I missed it.

After losing in the first round of weight vs Lepri, he:

1) Tapped Kaynan (mundials and ADCC gold medalist)
2) Tapped Gaudio (Pan gold medalist and mundials medalist)
3) Tapped Aly (mundials gold medalist)

The he got tapped by Gordon of course lol.

Lachlan is 77kg, the rest of those guys are 99 kg plus.

Ya I read that he just put on a heel hook display. Sunday I was jumping back and forth from football and ADCC. So I was really just paying attention to Tonon, Ryan and Buchecha matches for the absolutes.
REDDzone
RealGM
And1: 5,126

Post#443 » by REDDzone » Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:37 pm

So this is interesting...

Bo Nickal will face Gordon Ryan in a mixed rules grappling match in December - no tech falls, no guard pulls, no leg locks.

For those who don't know, Gordon is the undisputed number one nogi grappler on the planet right now (3x adcc gold medalist, ibjjf pan double gold, ibjjf worlds double gold) and Nickal is one of the best wrestlers on the planet (3x NCAA champion, Hodge Trophy winner, and recent World champion).

Both of these guys have plans to do MMA at some point, so somewhat relevant in that regard too.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#444 » by REDDzone » Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:05 pm

Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
Shaazzam
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,267

Post#445 » by Shaazzam » Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:05 pm

that nickal dude is a freaking savage, so fast
Imageprops to Turbo_Zone
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#446 » by Duke4life831 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:00 am

The US has a couple top tier wrestlers who are planning on joining MMA. I read a few months ago that Bo's plan was to do 2020 Olympics and then start MMA. I know Kyle Snyder seems to change his tune every other month on his future MMA plans. One month he says he wants to do 1 more olympics then start, then the next month he says he has no plans for MMA after the 2020 Olympics. We will see though.

Im excited to see Bo start MMA. His wrestling just looks to be on a ridiculous level. Very curious on what weight he will be though, I believe I read he wrestles at 197. Curious if he can make the cut to 185.

Then of course you got Gordon Ryan who has stated multiple times MMA is coming very soon. I know he has started training MMA for awhile now. Already has the perfect team to do that, plus whatever Tonon does Gordon does and Tonon has had a pretty hot start to his MMA career with ONE. I think wrestling is the better skill set to build on, but Ryan's BJJ is otherworldly. No doubt a ton of elite MMA prospects coming to the sport very soon.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#447 » by Duke4life831 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:06 am

REDDzone wrote:So this is interesting...

Bo Nickal will face Gordon Ryan in a mixed rules grappling match in December - no tech falls, no guard pulls, no leg locks.

For those who don't know, Gordon is the undisputed number one nogi grappler on the planet right now (3x adcc gold medalist, ibjjf pan double gold, ibjjf worlds double gold) and Nickal is one of the best wrestlers on the planet (3x NCAA champion, Hodge Trophy winner, and recent World champion).

Both of these guys have plans to do MMA at some point, so somewhat relevant in that regard too.

AKA must watch TV. Really curious to see all the rules and setup for this. Taking leg locks from a DDS guy is always a big blow, but Ryan has really become elite in all areas. This should be really fun to watch, just to see the mental chess game between the two of them will be amazing.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#448 » by REDDzone » Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:50 pm

Luke Rockhold will take on Nick Rodriguez in Polaris. I always love when a professional fighter has jiu jitsu to fall into once their MMA career is over. Even better when it gives guys who have taken way too much damage but still want to compete an outlet to do so without getting punched anymore. Everyone talks about how much of a beast Rockhold is on the mats and if you guys don't know, Rodriguez is the guy who got silver at ADCC with only a blue belt (like a year training, and a year of D3 wrestling). Just a pure monster.
Susan
RealGM
And1: 7,430

Post#449 » by Susan » Sat Nov 23, 2019 12:15 am

REDDzone wrote:Luke Rockhold will take on Nick Rodriguez in Polaris. I always love when a professional fighter has jiu jitsu to fall into once their MMA career is over. Even better when it gives guys who have taken way too much damage but still want to compete an outlet to do so without getting punched anymore. Everyone talks about how much of a beast Rockhold is on the mats and if you guys don't know, Rodriguez is the guy who got silver at ADCC with only a blue belt (like a year training, and a year of D3 wrestling). Just a pure monster.

Rockhold's scrambling/top game was so nuts in MMA.

Buchecha wrote:Luke is a very good black belt. He’s legit. He’s the guy I roll with when I go train at AKA. He loves to train without the Gi, and he is against whom I have the hardest time rolling in AKA. He has a different game, dangerous, with footlocks and inverted triangles. When I go training with him I am always aware, because if I lose focus he submits me. In my opinion, he has the best ground game in MMA, out of the athletes I’ve trained with.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#450 » by REDDzone » Sat Nov 23, 2019 12:34 am

Rockhold was IBJJF blue and purple champion. Its interesting to think about what the top of the BJJ food chain would look like if there was more money in it.

Roger and Jacare would have probably set more records than could ever be broken by now. Rodolfo would still be killing it since 2011. Guys like Rockhold or Maia who made the jump or Ortega who never really focused on BJJ could be dominating the grappling scene.

That said, changing for the better. Spyder this weekend is paying out $250k for two 8 man brackets. Kyle Boehm has won $30k since September in prize money. BJJ competition is becoming a viable career without the brain damage. Guys like Nick Rodriguez would have probably already been fighting MMA if this were even 5 years ago.
cowboyronnie
RealGM
And1: 1,465

Post#451 » by cowboyronnie » Sat Nov 23, 2019 3:56 pm

REDDzone wrote:

LOL. The production is so loving and tender...the way the camera tracks and lingers over him, fixated on him even when he's just engaging from a standing position. Gordo My Eyes Only 4 U 4 Evr.

The Igor Vovchanchyn highlight I have watched every morning for 15 years has none of this gay ****, I tell you that.
Hi love, bye love, I will miss my love.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#452 » by REDDzone » Sat Nov 23, 2019 11:53 pm

cowboyronnie wrote:LOL. The production is so loving and tender...the way the camera tracks and lingers over him, fixated on him even when he's just engaging from a standing position. Gordo My Eyes Only 4 U 4 Evr.

The Igor Vovchanchyn highlight I have watched every morning for 15 years has none of this gay ****, I tell you that.

Okay boomer
cowboyronnie
RealGM
And1: 1,465

Post#453 » by cowboyronnie » Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:22 pm

The only highlights you need

No pop star montages.
Hi love, bye love, I will miss my love.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#454 » by REDDzone » Sun Dec 8, 2019 8:03 pm

So, the Gordon/Nickal match happened. I guess it was pretty much exactly what you would expect. Tactically, Bo's strategy was to avoid takedowns by Gordon and then take him down near the end of the match to win by points without having to engage the guard. Gordon actually hit two leg scissor takedowns of his own but Bo was able to scramble out because there were no leg locks allowed.

After awhile, Gordon started literally turning his back to him to bait the takedown attempt since Bo wasn't shooting and ate a huge suplex for his troubles LOL. Unfortunately for Bo, within about a minute of engaging Gordon's guard, he got strangled by a deep triangle.

Shaazzam
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#455 » by Shaazzam » Mon Dec 9, 2019 7:12 pm

REDDzone wrote:So, the Gordon/Nickal match happened. I guess it was pretty much exactly what you would expect. Tactically, Bo's strategy was to avoid takedowns by Gordon and then take him down near the end of the match to win by points without having to engage the guard. Gordon actually hit two leg scissor takedowns of his own but Bo was able to scramble out because there were no leg locks allowed.

After awhile, Gordon started literally turning his back to him to bait the takedown attempt since Bo wasn't shooting and ate a huge suplex for his troubles LOL. Unfortunately for Bo, within about a minute of engaging Gordon's guard, he got strangled by a deep triangle.

How long did they go for?
Imageprops to Turbo_Zone
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#456 » by REDDzone » Mon Dec 9, 2019 7:27 pm

^^ The match was scheduled for 15 minutes. I think the suplex was around 12 or so minutes in and Gordon subbed him like a minute later (all estimations).

It was pretty exciting though. A lot of standup but more interesting than usual because nobody knew how it would play out. Also three total ground exchanges in that time due to Gordon's scissor takedowns.
Shaazzam
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#457 » by Shaazzam » Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:02 am

REDDzone wrote:^^ The match was scheduled for 15 minutes. I think the suplex was around 12 or so minutes in and Gordon subbed him like a minute later (all estimations).

It was pretty exciting though. A lot of standup but more interesting than usual because nobody knew how it would play out. Also three total ground exchanges in that time due to Gordon's scissor takedowns.

Found a video of it. Crazy. Nickal seemed to have absolutely nothing for Gordon, although his sprawl was in a blink of an eye. Those scissor takedowns were amazing, both those guys are lightning fast, wow.
Imageprops to Turbo_Zone
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#458 » by REDDzone » Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:15 am

Shaazzam wrote:Found a video of it. Crazy. Nickal seemed to have absolutely nothing for Gordon, although his sprawl was in a blink of an eye. Those scissor takedowns were amazing, both those guys are lightning fast, wow.

Yea. The match would probably have ended in about 10 seconds if leg locks were legal. Gordon went to the scissor takedowns off of Bo's underhooks IIRC. That puts Gordon in a very strong finishing position from the jump if he were allowed to submit from there. Not sure how closely you followed ADCC but Gary Tonon (Gordon's instructor and teammate) hit a nice one on Edwin Najmi in the Absolute there early this Fall.

(sorry can't embed)

https://v.redd.it/gd7mbdejtvp31
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#459 » by REDDzone » Tue Dec 17, 2019 3:31 pm

Awesome roll between two legends of their respective games:

Spoiler:
I actually think Braulio may have been a little pissed after the kimura LOL, he went after him. Probably not used to being tapped out by anyone ever, not to mention maybe a little crank there.

Susan
RealGM
And1: 7,430

Post#460 » by Susan » Tue Dec 17, 2019 4:16 pm

REDDzone wrote:Awesome roll between two legends of their respective games:

Spoiler:
I actually think Braulio may have been a little pissed after the kimura LOL, he went after him. Probably not used to being tapped out by anyone ever, not to mention maybe a little crank there.

Impressive to see George do so well considering the size AND skill difference. Braulio was pushing (as was George) pretty hard the whole time.

Don't see him really push/turn it on after the kimura but I could be wrong!

Return to Boxing & Mixed Martial Arts