76ers Never Offered Jimmy Butler Full Five-Year Max Contract

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 292

76ers Never Offered Jimmy Butler Full Five-Year Max Contract 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Thu Nov 21, 2019 5:15 pm

The Philadelphia 76ers did not offer Jimmy Butler a five-year maximum contract offer on June 30th, according to multiple sources.

The 76ers possibly pivoted in another direction when they learned of Al Horford's interest.

There was perhaps concern about tension between Butler and other players on the team as well as the coaching staff. Like other teams, the 76ers likely wondered how Butler would age.

Butler ultimately orchestrated a sign-and-trade to the Miami Heat.

Via Zach Lowe/ESPN

MegaK
Bench Warmer
And1: 133

Re: 76ers Never Offered Jimmy Butler Full Five-Year Max Contract 

Post#2 » by MegaK » Thu Nov 21, 2019 5:20 pm

76ers aint bout dat life bro.
kuclas
General Manager
And1: 3,898

Post#3 » by kuclas » Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:22 pm

Every Tom dick and Harry knew this already. Anything less than fully guarantee max. Jimmy was leaving.

When u factor in Florida no state income tax. Miami 4 year max offer ends up being equivalent to sixers 4 year max (even with sixers slightly more money offer due to annual pay increase)

Same reason horford left Boston Boston wasn’t guaranteeing any 4th year money. Sixers guarantee another 12 million.
MartyConlonJr
General Manager
And1: 2,428

Post#4 » by MartyConlonJr » Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:31 pm

"Like other teams, the 76ers likely wondered how Butler would age"
"The 76ers possibly pivoted in another direction when they learned of Al Horford's interest."

Worried about signing 30 year old Jimmy Butler to long term contract, worrying about how he will age in a 4 year (33) or 5 year (34) contract. Learns of 33 year old Al Horford's interest and signs him till he is 36.

Jimmy missed 47 games in last 3 years, Al Horford missed 38 so it's not like you could say Al Horford is an iron man.
kenwood3333
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,190

Post#5 » by kenwood3333 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:14 pm

So Butler is willing to 'settle' for a 4 year max deal with Miami, but not with the Sixers? What makes the Sixers a less desirable winning team when Bulter kept mentioning winning is his main motivation when he forced his way out of the Wolves?
Mak
RealGM
And1: 4,559

Post#6 » by Mak » Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:19 pm

why pay Jimmy Butler when you can give max to Tobias Harris.... Elton Brand man.... what a disaster.
000078ude54
Pro Prospect
And1: 551

Post#7 » by 000078ude54 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:23 pm

Mak wrote:why pay Jimmy Butler when you can give max to Tobias Harris.... Elton Brand man.... what a disaster.

Butler didn't fit in with team culture and didn't want to be in Philly anyway. Harris, however, is a team player and wants to be there. Brand did what any GM would do in that situation.
Elnegron
Rookie
And1: 366

Post#8 » by Elnegron » Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:26 pm

kenwood3333 wrote:So Butler is willing to 'settle' for a 4 year max deal with Miami, but not with the Sixers? What makes the Sixers a less desirable winning team when Bulter kept mentioning winning is his main motivation when he forced his way out of the Wolves?

You are an idiot for even comparing 76ers franchise with heat franchise. Personal, front office, scout, coaching, development, class all go to heat. 76ers worrying about tanking and allowing Joel embii fight costing team games with his childish crap. Don't u even mention 76ers in the same sentence as the heat plase
Elnegron
Rookie
And1: 366

Post#9 » by Elnegron » Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:29 pm

Chief butler didn't fit in because the 76ers are a joke. You just lost all credibility when u said Jimmy was selfish. Tobias Harris is overpaid and you will find out now now that he playing bad, but in the playoffs and after 76ers are out of 1st round
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,703

Post#10 » by the_process » Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:19 pm

Two things: the Sixers had decided they weren’t keeping Jimmy when they traded for Tobias.

Second, let’s not pretend Jimmy’s agent didn’t call Elton with some preconditions of signing a max deal.

Also, give me a break with the Heat culture crap. You won rings with LeBron, Wade, and Bosh. And pretty much every other year you are irrelevant. And the fake tanking outrage is way outdated. Dinosaur take. And speaking of dinosaurs, wasn’t Riley around when dinosaurs went extinct?
mplsfonz23
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,310

Post#11 » by mplsfonz23 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:05 pm

Jimmy is a cancer. He has "tensions" with teammates and coaches on EVERY team he's been on.
A year ago 76er fans laughed at me for saying this same thing, told me it was Wiggins and Towns yada yada yada....
Now he's gone and all the negative comes out. Bet he wears out Miami too. But they are stuck with his ass.
mplsfonz23
Assistant Coach

Post#12 » by mplsfonz23 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:07 pm

Another question. Did they even offer him anything?
igorbianch
Analyst
And1: 4,321

Post#13 » by igorbianch » Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:09 pm

Philly lost their best playmaker, shotmaker and closer.

They have no shot at a title IMO.

And now theyre stuck in cap hell paying Tobias freaking Harris max dollars and old man Horford 27 mill a year.
:lol:
DCRYsing89
Starter
And1: 718

Post#14 » by DCRYsing89 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:55 pm

mplsfonz23 wrote:Jimmy is a cancer. He has "tensions" with teammates and coaches on EVERY team he's been on.
A year ago 76er fans laughed at me for saying this same thing, told me it was Wiggins and Towns yada yada yada....
Now he's gone and all the negative comes out. Bet he wears out Miami too. But they are stuck with his ass.

He goes out there to win, that’s what we know,
Nothing wrong with that, unless you wanna be a little lazy.

Would you be saying the same bout KOBE?
After your first, you change, you mature, you dont just jump into things.

After getting dunked on for the first time, life becomes complex.
Heat3
RealGM
And1: 14,161

Post#15 » by Heat3 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:16 pm

Heat @ 76ers on Saturday. Reason for these stories...
Pat Riley wrote:There are only two options regarding commitment. You're either IN or you're OUT. There is no such thing as life in-between.

James Johnson wrote:The culture is REAL.

Pantsman
Veteran
And1: 3,733

Post#16 » by Pantsman » Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:25 pm

Smart move.

What’s not a smart move is offering it to Harris and horfords contract.
GeorgeMarcus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23,045

Post#17 » by GeorgeMarcus » Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:03 am

Elnegron wrote:Chief butler didn't fit in because the 76ers are a joke. You just lost all credibility when u said Jimmy was selfish. Tobias Harris is overpaid and you will find out now now that he playing bad, but in the playoffs and after 76ers are out of 1st round

Bet you wouldn't stake money on that claim, and if you would I have Venmo :nod:

Losing Butler did not hurt us as much as adding Butler helped the Heat. There are a multitude of reasons for that, but ultimately swapping Butler/Redick for Horford/J Rich is about a zero sum game. J Rich is a lot better than Redick.
The Legend of George Marcus

"Where I'm from, bullies get bullied." - Zach Randolph
HotelVitale
RealGM
And1: 9,766

Post#18 » by HotelVitale » Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:15 am

DCRYsing89 wrote:[
Nothing wrong with that, unless you wanna be a little lazy. Would you be saying the same bout KOBE?

I get why you’d say that—Butler himself always says it—but the problem is Butler doesn’t actually work very hard, his effort is extremely inconsistent and he coasts for huge chunks of the game on both ends of the court. He’s not a guy like KG or Noah who competes intensely and throws his emotions into every minute of the game. I haven’t been in the locker room so don’t know but it really seems like he uses that ‘Why doesn’t everyone else want to win like I do?!’ stuff as an excuse to be prickly and bossy. Just seems like a difficult personality.
DCRYsing89
Starter
And1: 718

Post#19 » by DCRYsing89 » Fri Nov 22, 2019 5:06 am

HotelVitale wrote:
DCRYsing89 wrote:[
Nothing wrong with that, unless you wanna be a little lazy. Would you be saying the same bout KOBE?

I get why you’d say that—Butler himself always says it—but the problem is Butler doesn’t actually work very hard, his effort is extremely inconsistent and he coasts for huge chunks of the game on both ends of the court. He’s not a guy like KG or Noah who competes intensely and throws his emotions into every minute of the game. I haven’t been in the locker room so don’t know but it really seems like he uses that ‘Why doesn’t everyone else want to win like I do?!’ stuff as an excuse to be prickly and bossy. Just seems like a difficult personality.

I love Wall so I will admit bias here,
As I see a lot of similarities between the two in their mentalities...

It’s quite mentally fatiguing also to always go 100%,
But I feel that fire does burn in em,
They are guys who go out to win and expect 100%,
They also seem quite self righteous, I personally always thought they would be an amazing Duo and feed off eachother
After your first, you change, you mature, you dont just jump into things.

After getting dunked on for the first time, life becomes complex.
mplsfonz23
Assistant Coach

Post#20 » by mplsfonz23 » Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:10 pm

DCRYsing89 wrote:
mplsfonz23 wrote:Jimmy is a cancer. He has "tensions" with teammates and coaches on EVERY team he's been on.

Nothing wrong with that, unless you wanna be a little lazy.

Would you be saying the same bout KOBE?

I would say the same about MJ if he says "winning is the most important thing." Then leaves a "winning" team because he wants the MAX money. I get it. He wants to be paid, but just say that and lets stop pretending as if the money doesn't matter.

Still, Jimmy is a cancer. He has had beef with EVERY team he's been on, and then tries to play the "victim."
It's Miami's turn now. Lets see how he deals with his team after they start losing. Okay?

Return to Wiretap Discussion