ImageImageImage

Welcome Cam Johnson

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

Dual
Veteran
And1: 1,494

Re: Welcome Cam Johnson 

Post#161 » by Dual » Sat Nov 23, 2019 11:04 am

Frank Lee wrote:Once full strength w/Ayton and Baynes, I start this kid at PF. Right now, he is the most consistent F we have. I dont think his slight build is detrimental in todays world of not-so-power forwards out there. (see nevets take) Occassionally, his match up might not be advantageous, but night in night out I'll take him over Saric or Shank.

He deserves minutes, more of them.....and apparently, Monty thinks so too.

So...
Ricky
Booker
Oubre
Cam
Ayton

Jerome
Tyler
Bridges
Saric
Baynes

I like it! When everybody's healthy we have a helluva team.
sunsbg
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,016

Post#162 » by sunsbg » Sat Nov 23, 2019 12:06 pm

Dual wrote:
Frank Lee wrote:Once full strength w/Ayton and Baynes, I start this kid at PF. Right now, he is the most consistent F we have. I dont think his slight build is detrimental in todays world of not-so-power forwards out there. (see nevets take) Occassionally, his match up might not be advantageous, but night in night out I'll take him over Saric or Shank.

So...
Ricky
Booker
Oubre
Cam
Ayton

Jerome
Tyler
Bridges
Saric
Baynes

It looks great, but the way players started dropping like flies, at this point we can only hope to see them all on the floor before it's too late for the playoffs.
Saberestar
RealGM
And1: 14,801

Post#163 » by Saberestar » Sat Nov 23, 2019 12:38 pm

sunsbg wrote:
Dual wrote:

So...
Ricky
Booker
Oubre
Cam
Ayton

Jerome
Tyler
Bridges
Saric
Baynes

It looks great, but the way players started dropping like flies, at this point we can only hope to see them all on the floor before it's too late for the playoffs.

We are never gonna have the full roster healthy and ready to play. I have assumed that because that is how it works. There are always injuries and problems (sanctions, personal reasons, rest, flu....) so it is nearly impossible for a NBA team to have their 15-man roster ready for the coach.

Look at every other team. Which team is absolutely healthy? Just look the Pelicans in the last game...half of their roster was out or hurt.

No more excuses about health, good teams who deserve to be in the playoffs surpass these things. We need to be one of them.
Dual
Veteran

Post#164 » by Dual » Sat Nov 23, 2019 1:05 pm

Saberestar wrote:
sunsbg wrote:
Dual wrote:So...
Ricky
Booker
Oubre
Cam
Ayton

Jerome
Tyler
Bridges
Saric
Baynes

We are never gonna have the full roster healthy and ready to play. I have assumed that because that is how it works. There are always injuries and problems (sanctions, personal reasons, rest, flu....) so it is nearly impossible for a NBA team to have their 15-man roster ready for the coach.

Look at every other team. Which team is absolutely healthy? Just look the Pelicans in the last game...half of their roster was out or hurt.

No more excuses about health, good teams who deserve to be in the playoffs surpass these things. We need to be one of them.

There are always injuries, but, there are key positions like pg and c, and there is where we have the injuries so, for me is not a excuse, is just almost imposible to win this way.
Is not that we have our starters injured, we have also their substitutes too, which is mind blowing.
sunsbg
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,016

Post#165 » by sunsbg » Sat Nov 23, 2019 1:07 pm

Saberestar wrote:We are never gonna have the full roster healthy and ready to play. I have assumed that because that is how it works. There are always injuries and problems (sanctions, personal reasons, rest, flu....) so it is nearly impossible for a NBA team to have their 15-man roster ready for the coach.

I would expect Booker to raise his game and the team come together and all give it all to beat at least other injured or bad teams. It's disappointing they couldn't steal a game in the last few. I wouldn't expect them to beat good healthy teams without 2-3 key players though. I guess, most teams in the top didn't have key injured players so far.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,660

Post#166 » by WeekapaugGroove » Sat Nov 23, 2019 5:41 pm

Dual wrote:
Saberestar wrote:
sunsbg wrote:

There are always injuries, but, there are key positions like pg and c, and there is where we have the injuries so, for me is not a excuse, is just almost imposible to win this way.
Is not that we have our starters injured, we have also their substitutes too, which is mind blowing.
Yeah the hardest thing to overcome are when injuries stack at one or two spots. Even with a 15 man roster vs the old 12 it's hard when you're playing 3rd string guys.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,376

Post#167 » by bwgood77 » Sat Nov 23, 2019 6:30 pm

Saberestar wrote:
sunsbg wrote:
Ricky
Booker
Oubre
Cam
Ayton

Jerome
Tyler
Bridges
Saric
Baynes

I agree, but the one team missing two of it's most important players is the Warriors....and are not doing so well. I don't know that any team is missing their only 2 centers, who are 2 of their top 4 players....AND on top of that, their top 2 PGs.....or either one of those things. So we have it extra bad when Baynes and Rubio are out, especially both. But I think Baynes really hurts....both hurt our ball movement since both are great passers....also they are two of our best defenders.
ImNotMcDiSwear
General Manager
And1: 6,087

Post#168 » by ImNotMcDiSwear » Sun Nov 24, 2019 5:23 pm

Dual wrote:

So...
Ricky
Booker
Oubre
Cam
Ayton

Jerome
Tyler
Bridges
Saric
Baynes

I think you gotta start Saric next to Ayton for the defense. Cam's just not big enough to hit big bodies if Ayton's gotta leave the paint on defense - which he will frequently, if we're playing the right way. Next year, I'm all in favor of upgrading the 4 spot, given how much trouble Saric has had overall. If Cam fills out, he might be a solid starting 4 at some point. But to me it's pretty clear that to be a good defensive team in this league, you still need two bigs.
Dual
Veteran

Post#169 » by Dual » Sun Nov 24, 2019 5:30 pm

ImNotMcDiSwear wrote:
Dual wrote:

So...
Ricky
Booker
Oubre
Cam
Ayton

Jerome
Tyler
Bridges
Saric
Baynes

I think you gotta start Saric next to Ayton for the defense. Cam's just not big enough to hit big bodies if Ayton's gotta leave the paint on defense - which he will frequently, if we're playing the right way. Next year, I'm all in favor of upgrading the 4 spot, given how much trouble Saric has had overall. If Cam fills out, he might be a solid starting 4 at some point. But to me it's pretty clear that to be a good defensive team in this league, you still need two bigs.

Maybe against Lakers but the rest of the league you can play this way.
Also he gives you more shooting for the double teams that they make to Booker.
Saric sadly is very inconsistent in that regard.
hollywood6964
Analyst
And1: 1,397

Post#170 » by hollywood6964 » Sun Nov 24, 2019 5:40 pm

Dual wrote:
ImNotMcDiSwear wrote:
Ricky
Booker
Oubre
Cam
Ayton

Jerome
Tyler
Bridges
Saric
Baynes

Maybe against Lakers but the rest of the league you can play this way.
Also he gives you more shooting for the double teams that they make to Booker.
Saric sadly is very inconsistent in that regard.

I think with the reinvigoration of big men in the league, you need two bigger players. Cam is slight, cannot defend or keep a larger player off the boards. It's no good.

I'd rather see Baynes start when Ayton comes back. He can really move his feet well, even against guards on the perimeter in a switch, and with Ayton back, and how he draw defenders into the interior on the pnr, Baynes will start to get those open 3 pointers again, and more often. Baynes defending pf or c, however the matchups work out.

rubio
booker
oubre
baynes
ayton

pg depending on matchups
tyler johnson
cam johnson
saric
kaminsky

That starting 5 is extremely formidable, and if phx can get healthy fast, then get ayton back, they'll win a lot of games and make some noise in the playoffs. I would like to see if they can trade for a solid backup point, that's first and foremost.
Dual
Veteran

Post#171 » by Dual » Sun Nov 24, 2019 5:49 pm

Sure, we have the possibility of using different lineups when healthy.
The good thing of having Ricky, Booker and Baynes is that you have at least 3 big IQ players with Oubre and Ayton.
If I was the manager of a team I would only sign high IQ players :D
ATTL
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,482

Post#172 » by ATTL » Fri Nov 29, 2019 5:08 am

Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets
And1: 6,443

Post#173 » by Ghost of Kleine » Mon May 4, 2020 6:05 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=19

A really nice write up on Cam! :D
Wilber85
Veteran
And1: 2,421

Post#174 » by Wilber85 » Mon May 4, 2020 6:54 pm

Ghost of Kleine wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=19

Cam will be in D league or another team in 2 years.
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets

Post#175 » by Ghost of Kleine » Mon May 4, 2020 8:52 pm

Wilber85 wrote:
Ghost of Kleine wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=19

I really hope not!....lol. That would be yet another really bad waste of a draft pick, looking back on some of the players from that draft that we passed on for him. :-?
cberry78
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,420

Post#176 » by cberry78 » Tue May 5, 2020 12:36 am

Wilber85 wrote:
Ghost of Kleine wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=19

Sent from my moto e5 play using RealGM mobile app
"Never argue with an idiot. You'll never convince the idiot that you're correct, and bystanders won't be able to tell who's who." - Mark Twain
Revived
RealGM
And1: 19,158

Post#177 » by Revived » Tue May 5, 2020 11:40 am

Wilber85 wrote:
Ghost of Kleine wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=19

D league? No way. Worst case scenario, he will stick around in a James Jones/Mike Miller type role as a deadeye 3pt shooter that doesn’t do anything else.

The only wildcard is injuries. This was a significant concern when he was a college prospect and it’s continued to the NBA. He’s probably one of the most fragile players we’ve had in a while and his frame imo does not look like one that can add all that much strength. He also turns 25 (!) next season so it’s not like he will go through the growth/size increase that we see in most rookies that are like 18/19/20.

Injuries are the main reason I would sell high on him before it’s too late and it becomes well known that he’s a lemon.
tobysunsfan
Junior
And1: 102

Post#178 » by tobysunsfan » Thu May 7, 2020 3:25 am

Cam Johnson can hit threes, he will be in the league his whole career.
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets

Post#179 » by Ghost of Kleine » Mon Jun 8, 2020 4:50 am

Good to see Cam working hard and improving on his game. I'm liking his improved handle and fluidity too. :D

Read on Twitter
?s=09
All good things!!! :nod:
Saberestar
RealGM
And1: 14,801

Post#180 » by Saberestar » Wed Jul 1, 2020 6:35 pm

Read on Twitter

Return to Phoenix Suns