ImageImageImage

League-leader Brad Wanamaker

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

Celtics_History_Lesson
Assistant Coach
And1: 6,267

League-leader Brad Wanamaker 

Post#1 » by Celtics_History_Lesson » Sat Nov 23, 2019 11:56 pm

True Shooting %
1. Moritz Wagner • WAS .738
2. Christian Wood • DET .716
3. OG Anunoby • TOR .697
4. Aron Baynes • PHO .679
5. Rudy Gobert • UTA .679
Richaun Holmes • SAC .679
7. P.J. Tucker • HOU .678
8. Brandon Clarke • MEM .677
9. Paul George • LAC .675
10. DeAndre Jordan • BRK .672
11. Nemanja Bjelica • SAC .671
12. James Ennis • PHI .668
13. Brad Wanamaker • BOS .664
14. Ivica Zubac • LAC .664
15. Jarrett Allen • BRK .663
16. Kyle Lowry • TOR .662
17. Devin Booker • PHO .659
18. Karl-Anthony Towns • MIN .655
19. Duncan Robinson • MIA .650
20. Danuel House • HOU .650

Celtics don't have a lot among the stats at the top.

Wanamaker, going where few guards go, TS%.

Wanamaker can certainly improve his 3% a tad, so if he keeps other percentages up he will be top 10 in the NBA for TS%.

Theis is up among the blocks per game. A very nice result, 11th spot.

Wanamaker and Walker are among the best FT%, and a few more free throws without a miss and Wanamaker can be top of the NBA for FT%, while Tatum gets a look among the leaders for minutes and field goals and also Defensive Rating.

Wanamaker was always better than Rozier. He is now showing he is better than most guards in the NBA.

Half-Full
Bench Warmer
And1: 2,127

Re: League-leader Brad Wanamaker 

Post#2 » by Half-Full » Sun Nov 24, 2019 1:05 am

I'm curious if he has moved the needle at all for those on this forum who were down on him. His play has been a bright spot for me. He seems to have a stabilizing effect on the team when he is on the floor, and his experience shows.
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,682

Post#3 » by Fencer reregistered » Sun Nov 24, 2019 1:23 am

Half-Full wrote:I'm curious if he has moved the needle at all for those on this forum who were down on him. His play has been a bright spot for me. He seems to have a stabilizing effect on the team when he is on the floor, and his experience shows.

The Celtics have so much exciting perimeter talent -- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Kemba, Smart, Edwards, etc. -- that I'm somewhat disappointed whenever playing Wanamaker is the right choice. But yeah, he's joining Sichting for me as reserve guards who are so reliable and efficient that it's a real pleasure to have them around.

By the way, speaking of lots of perimeter talent: For years, the Celtics roster included:
-- Cousy
-- Sharman or Havlicek (they didn't overlap)
-- Jones x 2
-- Ramsey

Of course, those teams had Russell and Heinsohn as well. :)
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 89,797

Post#4 » by zoyathedestroya » Sun Nov 24, 2019 1:31 am

Celtics_History_Lesson wrote:Celtics don't have a lot among the stats at the top.

Wanamaker, going where few guards go, TS%.

Fencer reregistered
RealGM

Post#5 » by Fencer reregistered » Sun Nov 24, 2019 3:29 am

Tatum ranks 4th in FG misses but 20th in FG makes.
Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 13,875

Post#6 » by Bleeding Green » Sun Nov 24, 2019 3:33 am

He's so good and I don't even know if he can dunk. 69.5 TS% since he started getting actual playing time against the Knicks (he's played 21 minutes a game since then—11 games) on November 1. His defense is quite stout, he draws fouls, he hits all of his free throws, he's so good. And he's probably going to be playing more assuming Walker is out for a bit.

I doubt anyone has changed their opinion of him, but that's fine. The same people who dislike Brad Wanamaker thought Shane Larkin was a good basketball player.
Manocad wrote:I have an engineering degree, an exceptionally high IQ, and can point to the exact location/area of any country on an unlabeled globe.
ozgod
Junior
And1: 300

Post#7 » by ozgod » Sun Nov 24, 2019 3:05 pm

I'm happy for Brad. At vet min we're getting a good deal.
Be nice to me, I am new :D
Any weird typos are probably because I suck at typing on an iPhone :oops:
GuyClinch
RealGM
And1: 1,478

Post#8 » by GuyClinch » Sun Nov 24, 2019 3:38 pm

Next Gen Jay Crowder. Sorry not sorry - we be pleased way Hayward and Kemba come back so we can reduce his minutes. C's getting a lot out of him - but he is not some stud in disguise. Just a guy with modest basketball talent at his peak through hard work.
Half-Full
Bench Warmer
And1: 2,127

Post#9 » by Half-Full » Sun Nov 24, 2019 5:02 pm

GuyClinch wrote:Next Gen Jay Crowder. Sorry not sorry - we be pleased way Hayward and Kemba come back so we can reduce his minutes. C's getting a lot out of him - but he is not some stud in disguise. Just a guy with modest basketball talent at his peak through hard work.

Clearly Wanamaker is not an NBA stud, but he has demonstrated that he is a solid player. When Hayward and Kemba return, there might be some reduction in his minutes, but I wouldn't count on it. If you consider our bench, he clearly is one of the best players. During the past 10 or so games he has demonstrated what he can do. His minutes average was on the upswing just before Hayward's injury (17/min./game the the last four games that Hayward played). In the seven games since Hayward's injury, his minutes average has increased to 23/min/game. I expect that his minutes will probably be closer to the 17 minute mark when Hayward returns, but wouldn't be shocked if he gets more minutes than that.
GuyClinch
RealGM

Post#10 » by GuyClinch » Sun Nov 24, 2019 5:54 pm

No doubt he has done a nice job. But Marcus Smart basically does the same thing he does so we ideally wouldn't need him going forward. He is getting his minutes because of injury and the poor play of some of our other bench guys.

Semi/Kanter/Green/Edwards has been underwhelming is Brad's eyes so they are giving him more minutes. So on the upside he has been a pleasant surprise. On the downside it means some of bigger players have been underperforming and thus we go small with him in there.

Basically if things work out - he shouldn't play. If he plays his way into the rotation in the playoffs Ainge f'd up.
yeahM8
Starter
And1: 3,682

Post#11 » by yeahM8 » Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:09 pm

proud of both brosés

SichtingLives
RealGM
And1: 25,446

Post#12 » by SichtingLives » Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:33 pm

Wanamaker getting meaningful minutes now benefits the team later. Confidence in this sport is innumerable, while he may go back to a lesser role with a healthier team, when the time comes later in the season or playoffs he will be ready to plug n' play and make an impact.

When guys are chronically stuck in marginal backup roles they rarely develop the comfort to play loose or make plays for themselves and are tentative to not step on any toes or make mistakes. The role he currently has is giving him the greenlight to shoot, drive and make decisions with the ball, something he rarely had an opportunity to do as a 3rd stringer. Now that he has gotten into the flow of playing his own game and sees that he can do it consistently on an NBA court he is going to retain/build upon that confidence every time he plays now.

It's the silver lining of injuries, you always hope your bench guys are going to seize the opportunity and they rarely do but Solid Brad has stepped up. No doubt his vast pro experience is the difference(Wana)maker between him and younger players who aren't ready to answer the bell. You see this a lot with more experienced players, they don't tend to blow it when they get their shot.
10 miles through the snow uphill both ways
cloverleaf
General Manager
And1: 6,377

Post#13 » by cloverleaf » Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:44 pm

Fencer reregistered wrote:Tatum ranks 4th in FG misses but 20th in FG makes.

Another famous volume shooter PF for the C's, Toine, had a .505 TS% for the C's in 2000-2001. JT is now at .513.

(But I'm actually fine with Tatum taking a dip in efficiency as he learns to be something of a first option in the league.)
cloverleaf
General Manager
And1: 6,377

Post#14 » by cloverleaf » Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:50 pm

GuyClinch wrote:No doubt he has done a nice job. But Marcus Smart basically does the same thing he does so we ideally wouldn't need him going forward. He is getting his minutes because of injury and the poor play of some of our other bench guys.

Semi/Kanter/Green/Edwards has been underwhelming is Brad's eyes so they are giving him more minutes. So on the upside he has been a pleasant surprise. On the downside it means some of bigger players have been underperforming and thus we go small with him in there.

Basically if things work out - he shouldn't play. If he plays his way into the rotation in the playoffs Ainge f'd up.

It's looking as if Edwards and Waters and Green are going to take some time to mature into the league, and Wanamaker is a really valuable 4th guard for them right now--and likely into the postseason. You know Brad likes multiple playmakers on the court at once, and with Kemba as their lead guard having the other guards be able to play and switch big is really valuable. Plus he's proving to be an efficient and consistent offensive option for a bench that needs that. Also, he is a vet presence given his time overseas and now in the NBA, and on such a young team that is especially important too.

It looks as if the Williams brothers are going to be the two young guys making the regular rotation--and that's plenty to have on a team wanting to go deep in the playoffs.
captain green
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,664

Post#15 » by captain green » Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:14 pm

I get the semi hate, but I've never understood the wannamaker hate. I forget who but I think I read somewhere that "waters is already a better point guard", I was blown away with that statement and thought uh no. But he is solid .
Brown's #1 fan on this forum.
Fencer reregistered
RealGM

Post#16 » by Fencer reregistered » Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:25 pm

cloverleaf wrote:
GuyClinch wrote:No doubt he has done a nice job. But Marcus Smart basically does the same thing he does so we ideally wouldn't need him going forward. He is getting his minutes because of injury and the poor play of some of our other bench guys.

It's looking as if Edwards and Waters and Green are going to take some time to mature into the league, and Wanamaker is a really valuable 4th guard for them right now--and likely into the postseason. You know Brad likes multiple playmakers on the court at once, and with Kemba as their lead guard having the other guards be able to play and switch big is really valuable. Plus he's proving to be an efficient and consistent offensive option for a bench that needs that. Also, he is a vet presence given his time overseas and now in the NBA, and on such a young team that is especially important too.

It looks as if the Williams brothers are going to be the two young guys making the regular rotation--and that's plenty to have on a team wanting to go deep in the playoffs.

So you're suggesting that the if-healthy rotation is likely to settle at:
-- The 5 perimeter stars
-- Wanamaker
-- Theis
-- Williams & Williams
-- Kanter

That's 10 guys, including 3 unarguable PGs plus a reasonable 4th one, 3 unarguable centers plus a reasonable 4th one, and plenty of position flexibility inbetween.

Yeah, that's a plausible group.

Of course, we still have quite a while for somebody else to play himself into the mix, and we are probably assuming that Grant's scoring can get up to at least Semi levels. :)
Gant
General Manager
And1: 11,322

Post#17 » by Gant » Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:03 pm

I watched several of Wanamaker's games in Europe when he played for Darussafaka Dogus. He and Will Clyburn I think it was, formed a potent tandem.

After being in the NBA for a season plus, he's finally playing relaxed and in sync like he was in Turkey. Sometimes it takes a while to make that transition.
GuyClinch
RealGM

Post#18 » by GuyClinch » Mon Nov 25, 2019 2:00 am

captain green wrote:I get the semi hate, but I've never understood the wannamaker hate. I forget who but I think I read somewhere that "waters is already a better point guard", I was blown away with that statement and thought uh no. But he is solid .

I don't think there is hate for the guy - maybe before - but he has dispelled that. But on a small team - I don't think its too much to ask that we don't play two pgs and three small forwards.. as a viable lineup..

I feel that with older players coaches will use them as a crutch - rather then play some of the younger guys who can make a lot of mental mistakes. That's totally understandable and I get it. I wouldn't have an issue if it didn't leave us smaller then a decent college team..
snowman
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 2,523

Post#19 » by snowman » Mon Nov 25, 2019 2:35 am

Re: Rozier vs Wannamaker

Post#35 » by snowman » Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:56 pm
Everyone still think Wannamaker is not even close to Rozier as back up point ? I think he played betted the Rozier last night and it wasn't even close.

I thought Wanamaker was the better player than Rosier back in Jan. I think he is the better player now.
thomas1897
Junior
And1: 86

Post#20 » by thomas1897 » Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:27 pm

Excellent team player his role should be the starter since Kemba Walker is day to day recovering from the head injury. He adds good passing skills, team defense and scoring and helping Marcus Smart bring the ball up. The losses the Celtics have Wanamaker has played an important role keeping the games very close. He has been a difference maker making the Celtics better with good decisive plays.

Return to Boston Celtics