Mitchell reminds me of DeRozan

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

Tomhomes33
Rookie
And1: 795

Mitchell reminds me of DeRozan 

Post#1 » by Tomhomes33 » Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:47 am

Raptors fan here..I come in piece to ask for your opinion on this comparision.
Watching Mitchell I have DeRozan flashes when he was Raptor..the highest scoring player..a lot of long 2es, floaters, forcing issues, rather inefficient..
I dont know if I have it right but Mitchell seems selfish at times to the point Jazz loses game(s) for it.
Bogdanovic already was highest Jazz scorer in several games this season, so do you think this causes Mitchell to force his shots to keep being highest scoring player on the team?

Would you trade him for one year rental guy, if there would be another star or all star player available?

Cheers.
@ndrew
Analyst
And1: 198

Re: Mitchell reminds me of DeRozan 

Post#2 » by @ndrew » Thu Nov 28, 2019 11:19 am

His shot is better than DD. His handling and passing ability is quite good. I highly doubt Utah Jazz is in any hurry for any trade.
Rauxcee
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,054

Post#3 » by Rauxcee » Thu Nov 28, 2019 3:01 pm

Mitchell is a streaky shooter and he definitely has been forcing some terrible shots- which happen to be floaters he's terrible at and mid range he's so-so at.

It's hard to say what is going on with him right now. It didn't feel like he was playing this way to start the season but it's been more of an issue of late. Not sure if its because Conley and Ingles have failed to show up this season and he wants to take matters into his own hands, or if he's forgotten he has teammates (Bogey) that can shoot, or if he's just really a chucker after all.

It's not just Mitchell playing selfishly and forcing bad shots- Conley, Mudiay, Ingles, and Bogey are all doing it to varying degrees (Ingles and Bogey being the least selfish of the bunch but they have their moments).

And no the Jazz won't trade Mitchell (not as long as we have Gobert anyway). Probably not even if it was for a similar situation as the Raptors and Kawhi. They aren't that brave, and considering we can't get or keep high end FA, I don't blame them.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz
And1: 7,463

Post#4 » by Inigo Montoya » Thu Nov 28, 2019 4:32 pm

DM often has to force the issue because the Jazz is having trouble scoring. It was supposed to be different this season because at least on paper the Jazz made moves to bring in players that improve the offense, but in reality, the only reliable scorer the Jazz have other than DM is Bojan. Conley's struggles on the offensive end force DM to try and create more than he should, which results in tough shots.
Draft Nate Wolters - FAILED
Keep Nate Wolters - FAILED
KqWIN wrote:Why are we talking about Middleton, Harris, and Porter?

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
Catchall
RealGM
And1: 10,247

Post#5 » by Catchall » Thu Nov 28, 2019 7:09 pm

Mitchell is a legit 3-level scorer and two-way player who is having an All Star season (26/6/4) with improved shooting efficiency. Defenses key in on trying to stop him getting to the rim, and that opens up the mid-range shots that sometimes he's forced to take.

He's not the reason the Jazz are losing games. Conley's inconsistency and the team's lack of defensive rebounding in the 2nd unit is costing them games. Plus, they've had a tough opening schedule.

No, the Jazz aren't going to trade Mitchell.

DD is a sub-par defender who can't hit 3s, and this really shows up as a weakness in the playoffs. A better comparison for Mitchell would be Bradley Beal or Victor Oladipo.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
Tomhomes33
Rookie
And1: 795

Post#6 » by Tomhomes33 » Thu Nov 28, 2019 9:47 pm

Thanks.
KqWIN
RealGM
And1: 6,360

Post#7 » by KqWIN » Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:01 pm

I don't think Mitchell plays like Derozan at all. Derozan is very methodical. He gets to his spots and shoots comfortable shots even if the defender is in good position. He also draws a lot of foul shots.

Mitchell, on the other hand, is fairly reckless and chucks up shots whether he gets to his spot or not. Unlike Derozan, most of his plays start in PnR or from the perimeter and he improvises from there. He also doesn't get to the line because he's not using fakes in the mid range.

I don't necessarily disagree that he's selfish, but I also think he's just not capable of making good reads or decisions. He commits to a play (usually a shot) early and sets his mind on shooting for better or worse. Definitely not a player who is going to read the defense and make up his mind on the fly. So while I think Mitchell decides to go hero ball too often, it's his poor vision and decision making that's the real issue. If Mitchell was able to read the defense and find the right pass I believe he would do it...but he's just not a good enough player to do that.

Selfish/unselfish is somewhat of a gray concept, and if I'm being honest I just use selfish when I want to irrationally complain. Is a bad shooter unselfish because he passes to a teammate? Or is he just not able to make that play. Same kind of thing with Mitchell. Is he selfish for chucking up these floaters? Or is he just not a good enough player to make the right read?

It's a bit of both, but I'd say Mitchell's bball-IQ is holding him back more than his selfishness.
ConstableChaos
Junior
And1: 205

Post#8 » by ConstableChaos » Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:13 am

Mitchell is Denver JR Smith with a better PR team.

At this moment, he's a 6th man scorer off the bench for a championship team. Shooting terrible shots early in the shot clock, is a sieve defensively. He can improve though
vryadli
Rookie
And1: 357

Post#9 » by vryadli » Fri Nov 29, 2019 3:58 am

Wau! Looks like DM estimates took drastic drop from kind of the future Wade with 3p to kind of 6-th man streaky scorer with questionable bbiq... and all last year some of persons who commented above went berserk and called me names for half of that...

As for "selfish" - he put too much efforts on defense to be really selfish. As for bbiq - he is not only have somewhat tunnel vision with ball in hands, which was mentioned above, he has second problem which is at least as bad - his without-ball movement is awfully under-impressing. If his shot selection in some games are reasonable, so far I didn't see good without ball movement.

Nevertheless I consider him as very valuable player, but his role has to be adjusted to his limitations, otherwise his team will suffer from them a lot a lot against higher competition in PO.
sipclip
Head Coach
And1: 1,240

Post#10 » by sipclip » Fri Nov 29, 2019 4:34 pm

ConstableChaos wrote:Mitchell is Denver JR Smith with a better PR team.

At this moment, he's a 6th man scorer off the bench for a championship team. Shooting terrible shots early in the shot clock, is a sieve defensively. He can improve though

This is so off it is comical. First off there games are nothing alike. Smith basically camped around the 3 pt line while driving every once in a while. Mitchell dribbles more in a quarter than Smith did in an entire game. Also Mitchell is not a bad defender. I called him out defensively last year but he has taken a step forward this year.

Sent from my SM-G960U using RealGM mobile app
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,281

Post#11 » by babyjax13 » Fri Nov 29, 2019 7:27 pm

I guess I just see a third year player with improved efficiency and defensive consistency this season - exactly what we wanted to see. He goes outside of what he's good at, still, but less so, and there are areas of his game he's improved at fairly dramatically over the offseason. I don't think the DeRozan comparison is quite right, but I can understand why it's being made (in terms of forcing things sometimes). People are making a mountain out of a mole hill at this point.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
Catchall
RealGM

Post#12 » by Catchall » Fri Nov 29, 2019 7:52 pm

Let me guess, you're a Nuggets fan?
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz
And1: 7,463

Post#13 » by Inigo Montoya » Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:30 pm

babyjax13 wrote:I guess I just see a third year player with improved efficiency and defensive consistency this season - exactly what we wanted to see. He goes outside of what he's good at, still, but less so, and there are areas of his game he's improved at fairly dramatically over the offseason. I don't think the DeRozan comparison is quite right, but I can understand why it's being made (in terms of forcing things sometimes). People are making a mountain out of a mole hill at this point.

I agree. DM started the season just as we all hoped he would, scoring with high efficiency and not forcing his shots much. And then it turned out that Conley has yet to help him carry the load as he was supposed to, and DM was cast back to his role in the previous season (or maybe he cast himself) as the only creator of offense on the roster, perhaps other than Bojan.
Draft Nate Wolters - FAILED
Keep Nate Wolters - FAILED
KqWIN wrote:Why are we talking about Middleton, Harris, and Porter?

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
mudsak
Starter
And1: 1,916

Post#14 » by mudsak » Sat Nov 30, 2019 4:36 am

Catchall wrote:Mitchell is a legit 3-level scorer and two-way player who is having an All Star season (26/6/4) with improved shooting efficiency. Defenses key in on trying to stop him getting to the rim, and that opens up the mid-range shots that sometimes he's forced to take.

He's not the reason the Jazz are losing games. Conley's inconsistency and the team's lack of defensive rebounding in the 2nd unit is costing them games. Plus, they've had a tough opening schedule.

No, the Jazz aren't going to trade Mitchell.

DD is a sub-par defender who can't hit 3s, and this really shows up as a weakness in the playoffs. A better comparison for Mitchell would be Bradley Beal or Victor Oladipo.

I would make my own comment but this basically sums up my thoughts on Mitchell. Dude is legit. He's still developing, but he's shown improvement. Started the year out smoking, and it was very clear he worked hard this offseason. I think he'll be on the brink of an all-star game this year even though he's slumping a little bit atm. He's a great locker-room guy, hard worker, extremely gifted player, and works hard on both ends of the floor. Decent playmaker, dangerous creator, a threat from 3 from literally any position on the floor, and he's active on the defensive end. I wouldn't compare him to DeRozan... DeRozan was always a lot more one-dimensional imo.
mudsak
Starter

Post#15 » by mudsak » Sat Nov 30, 2019 4:42 am

LMAO!... horrible take man. JR is a low BBIQ chucker who never played defense.... a role player. Not once in his career did he ever average any more scoring than the mid to high teens... Mitchell was literally leaps and bounds better as a Rookie than JR Smith in his absolute prime... Not only better all around, but better at even the things JR Smith specialized in. Meanwhile Mitchell is a high IQ player. He can actually run an offense. He was the starting PG for a decent portion of the season last year, and produced some of his best games/stats during that time period.
eLo
Sixth Man
And1: 132

Post#16 » by eLo » Tue Dec 3, 2019 12:34 am

mudsak wrote:

LMAO!... horrible take man. JR is a low BBIQ chucker who never played defense.... a role player. Not once in his career did he ever average any more scoring than the mid to high teens... Mitchell was literally leaps and bounds better as a Rookie than JR Smith in his absolute prime... Not only better all around, but better at even the things JR Smith specialized in. Meanwhile Mitchell is a high IQ player. He can actually run an offense. He was the starting PG for a decent portion of the season last year, and produced some of his best games/stats during that time period.

as he is not jr, but his iq if far from high, Mitchell decision making is still often horrible, he would run only poor offensive team and thats it. Its truly funny how people misjudge they team players, iv listen tons of podcast this offseason and no one, outside of Jazz organization, was special high on spida, borderline asg at best, yet from Jazz Fans you could hear like if he was some super stare in the making, at this point its just silly
mudsak
Starter

Post#17 » by mudsak » Tue Dec 3, 2019 6:36 pm

eLo wrote:
mudsak wrote:

as he is not jr, but his iq if far from high, Mitchell decision making is still often horrible, he would run only poor offensive team and thats it. Its truly funny how people misjudge they team players, iv listen tons of podcast this offseason and no one, outside of Jazz organization, was special high on spida, borderline asg at best, yet from Jazz Fans you could hear like if he was some super stare in the making, at this point its just silly

Some of the best offensive outputs the Jazz had last season was when Mitchell was running the PG position while all the PG's were injured. It's one thing to say people aren't that high on Mitchell, but as compared to what? Do I have some dillusions in thinking Mitchell is a top 5 player in the NBA?... no, but to compare him to JR Smith is ridiculous. Mitchell will likely make a couple All-Star games at the very least throughout his career. If you can't be high on a player that achieves that I don't know what to tell you. He's one of the most talented players the Jazz has ever had on their roster outside of Stockton/Malone.
Catchall
RealGM

Post#18 » by Catchall » Sun Dec 8, 2019 1:23 am

I think Mitchell is potentially a top 10 - 15 player as a lead scoring guard like Oladipo (a year or two ago) and Kyrie. Ideally, he'd have another dominant offensive player to play next to.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
dr0welf
Analyst
And1: 775

Post#19 » by dr0welf » Sun Dec 8, 2019 8:16 pm

Ben Simmons, is that you??? SMH
Clay Davis
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,691

Post#20 » by Clay Davis » Wed Dec 11, 2019 5:25 am

DeRozan never did what Mitchell did in the play-offs against OKC. Period. His best performances have never had him showing glimpses of being a dominant player in the matter that Donovan showed as a rookie.

Sent from my SM-A520W using RealGM mobile app
Steelo Green wrote:People are expecting way too much from Barnes out of the get go. He is a project player who will need 2-3 years before he makes a major impact.

Return to Utah Jazz