ImageImage

2019 Brewers Offseason Thread - Phelps Signed

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25, humanrefutation

bdpecore
Assistant Coach
And1: 573

Re: 2019 Brewers Offseason Thread - Moose to the Reds; Hader's on the Block 

Post#301 » by bdpecore » Tue Dec 3, 2019 12:20 am

Twins non-tendered CJ Cron who seems like someone Stearns would offer a one year "prove it" deal to this offseason. I'm guessing a base salary of $4-5MM with incentives would get him in a Brewers uniform. He would also benefit from playing half his games at Miller Park.
bdpecore
Assistant Coach

Re: 2019 Brewers Offseason Thread - Moose to the Reds 

Post#302 » by bdpecore » Tue Dec 3, 2019 12:27 am

MAC1987 wrote:Very interesting off season so far.

After looking at the list of free agents, there is no one that jumps out at me and says "we can sign him, id be excited about, and he will replace the production lost". This is Milwaukee, there is no way we sign a top free agent.

Either we piece together older players or make big trades?

https://www.fangraphs.com/roster-resource/free-agent-tracker?pos=c,1b,3b

Anyone like the list of FAs? And think theres something there?

Sent from my SM-G935V using RealGM mobile app

Donaldson is the only difference maker I could see signing in Milwaukee but that would eat up a significant chunk of our remaining money. Outside of him I'm looking at players like Asdrubal Cabrera, Howie Kendrick, Todd Frazier, CJ Cron, Alex Avila, Jason Castro, Robinson Chirinos, Justin Smoak, Eric Thames and Jedd Gyorko.

My trade targets would be J.D Davis, Dominic Smith, Josh Bell, Omar Narvaez and Dylan Bundy
MAC1987
Starter
And1: 526

Re: 2019 Brewers Offseason Thread - Moose to the Reds 

Post#303 » by MAC1987 » Tue Dec 3, 2019 1:05 am

bdpecore wrote:
MAC1987 wrote:Very interesting off season so far.

After looking at the list of free agents, there is no one that jumps out at me and says "we can sign him, id be excited about, and he will replace the production lost". This is Milwaukee, there is no way we sign a top free agent.

Either we piece together older players or make big trades?

https://www.fangraphs.com/roster-resource/free-agent-tracker?pos=c,1b,3b

Anyone like the list of FAs? And think theres something there?

Donaldson is the only difference maker I could see signing in Milwaukee but that would eat up a significant chunk of our remaining money. Outside of him I'm looking at players like Asdrubal Cabrera, Howie Kendrick, Todd Frazier, CJ Cron, Alex Avila, Jason Castro, Robinson Chirinos, Justin Smoak, Eric Thames and Jedd Gyorko.

My trade targets would be J.D Davis, Dominic Smith, Josh Bell, Omar Narvaez and Dylan Bundy
Maybe it wouldnt be as bad as i think to piece together an offense. But i would think it would be necessary to sign a bigger name SP.

At this point im ok with a Hader trade.

Now Yelich. I think it gets more difficult to trade him in his last year of his contract. Does a team just say no because he will cost to much for 1 year or 1/2 year? Especially if its only 1/2 year.

Turk Nowitzki
RealGM
And1: 9,868

Re: 2019 Brewers Offseason Thread - Moose to the Reds; Hader's on the Block. Arcia Signs 1 year deal 

Post#304 » by Turk Nowitzki » Tue Dec 3, 2019 1:17 am

Read on Twitter
Turk Nowitzki
RealGM

Re: 2019 Brewers Offseason Thread - Moose to CIN; Hader's on the Block; Arcia Signs 1YD, Bye Shaw/Nelson+ 

Post#305 » by Turk Nowitzki » Tue Dec 3, 2019 1:20 am

Shaw and Claudio getting non tendered is a bit surprising. The Guerra non-tender had been rumored online for a few days but that surprises me a little bit too.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,660

Re: 2019 Brewers Offseason Thread - Moose to CIN; Hader's on the Block; Arcia Signs 1YD, Bye Shaw/Nelson+ 

Post#306 » by WeekapaugGroove » Tue Dec 3, 2019 1:26 am

Turk Nowitzki wrote:Shaw and Claudio getting non tendered is a bit surprising. The Guerra non-tender had been rumored online for a few days but that surprises me a little bit too.
The new rule on relievers having to face more batters probably killed Claudio's spot on the club.

Kind of shocked tw7l hasn't been here yet bitching about the Claudio trade one last time :)

Well lots of roster spots, let's see how they fill them.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
Turk Nowitzki
RealGM

Post#307 » by Turk Nowitzki » Tue Dec 3, 2019 1:27 am

WeekapaugGroove wrote:
Turk Nowitzki wrote:Shaw and Claudio getting non tendered is a bit surprising. The Guerra non-tender had been rumored online for a few days but that surprises me a little bit too.
The new rule on relievers having to face more batters probably killed Claudio's spot on the club.

Well lots of roster spots, let's see how they fill them.

Yeah, giving up a top 40 draft pick for one year of Claudio has to be the worst move Stearns has made in his tenure.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM
And1: 4,169
Location: Hmmmm...how many 1sts would Jason Richardson cost...?

Post#308 » by Kerb Hohl » Tue Dec 3, 2019 1:35 am

Some crazy stuff is gonna happen this offseason.
LittleRooster
General Manager
And1: 3,118

Post#309 » by LittleRooster » Tue Dec 3, 2019 1:44 am

The moves seem drastic now but it did take a magical run to get to the postseason. Melvin, in contrast, stayed put when the team collapsed and it backfired. I like that Stearns is at least being creative and not standing pat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,373

Post#310 » by trwi7 » Tue Dec 3, 2019 1:47 am

WeekapaugGroove wrote:Kind of shocked tw7l hasn't been here yet bitching about the Claudio trade one last time :)

Says a lot about the trade when a lot of posters on bf.net were saying the trade was stupid when it happened. 8-)
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM

Post#311 » by WeekapaugGroove » Tue Dec 3, 2019 1:55 am

trwi7 wrote:
WeekapaugGroove wrote:Kind of shocked tw7l hasn't been here yet bitching about the Claudio trade one last time :)

Says a lot about the trade when a lot of posters on bf.net were saying the trade was stupid when it happened. 8-)
Yeah it was definitely a questionable decision. Should have just signed a couple vet loogies flyers and let them battle it out in ST.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM

Post#312 » by WeekapaugGroove » Tue Dec 3, 2019 2:38 am

Read on Twitter

The Brewers gave your client who was hitting worse than a pitcher 270 plate appearances last year.

Turk Nowitzki
RealGM

Post#313 » by Turk Nowitzki » Tue Dec 3, 2019 2:44 am

WeekapaugGroove wrote:
Read on Twitter

The Brewers gave your client who was hitting worse than a pitcher 270 plate appearances last year.

That is an incredible quote from Shaw's agent. He is living in some alternate reality, the Brewers gave Shaw every chance last year to break out of it.
trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,373

Post#314 » by trwi7 » Tue Dec 3, 2019 3:34 am

They believed in him last year and he hit like a pitcher. Gotta love word salad by agents this time of year.
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
Turk Nowitzki
RealGM

Post#315 » by Turk Nowitzki » Tue Dec 3, 2019 3:47 am

I think each move individually can be defended but I can't imagine that Plan A for Stearns was to have THIS much roster turnover.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM

Post#316 » by WeekapaugGroove » Tue Dec 3, 2019 4:03 am

Turk Nowitzki wrote:I think each move individually can be defended but I can't imagine that Plan A for Stearns was to have THIS much roster turnover.
The only 3 guys that were not directly his decision to replace were pomaranz, grandal, and moose and they had to know there was a chance all 3 were going to leave. Hell all three seemed to like it in Milwaukee so probably would have stayed had the Brewers been willing to pay.

Now we'll see if this high amount of roster turn was a good move but it was absolutely their plan.
msiris
RealGM
And1: 1,715

Post#317 » by msiris » Tue Dec 3, 2019 4:52 am

Why do I feel like this team will not be very good next year?
Ride the tank
bdpecore
Assistant Coach

Post#318 » by bdpecore » Tue Dec 3, 2019 5:36 am

msiris wrote:Why do I feel like this team will not be very good next year?

Maybe because it’s December 2nd and you don’t trust Stearns will be able to fill out the roster with quality players who can help the Brewers return to the postseason next year. People tend to be scared of the unknown but I still believe in Stearns and trust he will wind up with a competitive roster come Spring Training
M-C-G
RealGM
And1: 9,365

Post#319 » by M-C-G » Tue Dec 3, 2019 2:30 pm

Really bums me out to see Jimmy Nelson non tendered. Guy was looking like a true ace and then has his career ruined by sliding to first base. Just go DH in the national league and be done with it already.
M-C-G
RealGM
And1: 9,365

Post#320 » by M-C-G » Tue Dec 3, 2019 2:35 pm

Davies 159 innings
Chase 139
Gio 87
Guerra 85
Claudio 62
Jeffress 52
Nelson 22

I know we get Knebel back and Suter for a full year, but right now that is a lot of innings to replace. Going to need to some someone and have some young guys not be trainwrecks out there this year (Burnes and Peralta I am looking at YOU)

Return to Milwaukee Brewers