WT: FVV could command $25-30mil a year this off season. Are you willing to give it to him?

Moderators: Trader_Joe, loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger

Would you sign FVV to a deal starting at $27.5 mil with standard raises for 4 years?

Yes
4%
No
84%
I wouldn't but I could see it making some sense for a different team.
12%

Total votes: 57

Mamba4Goat
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 7,932

WT: FVV could command $25-30mil a year this off season. Are you willing to give it to him? 

Post#1 » by Mamba4Goat » Tue Dec 3, 2019 1:19 pm

Van Vleet is making huge strides and could get a hefty contract in this weak FA class. My question is if you're the GM of your team do you want FVV on say a 4/$115mil deal?
Rest in peace Mamba. There'll never be another Kobe.
GatorbaitDD
Rookie
And1: 673

Re: WT: FVV could command $25-30mil a year this off season. Are you willing to give it to him? 

Post#2 » by GatorbaitDD » Tue Dec 3, 2019 1:19 pm

Absolutely not. 20 per is where I top out and I wouldn't even feel good about that.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,076

Re: WT: FVV could command $25-30mil a year this off season. Are you willing to give it to him? 

Post#3 » by nate33 » Tue Dec 3, 2019 3:11 pm

That sounds like a number leaked by FVV's agent. He's good but not that good.
Kilo
RealGM
And1: 5,101

Post#4 » by Kilo » Tue Dec 3, 2019 3:38 pm

Another issue counting against FVV is the draft class lottery will be chock full of point guards. So bad teams, ie the ones with cap space usually, will likely look to plug any organizational point guard hole in the draft rather than give FVV even $20M per season.
Weaver = Hinkie
VW to Portland :pray:
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,579

Post#5 » by pacers33granger » Tue Dec 3, 2019 4:05 pm

That's not even close to the market for non-star PGs. Brogdon got $21 mil, Dinwiddie got $10, Beverley got $12, Rozier got $18, Murray got $14, Rubio got $17, Sato got $10, etc. Is he better than some of those guys? For sure, but not $5-$15 mil a year better.

This is either through his agent or lazily throwing out a number. If that is what he's looking for though, I suspect teams will just pivot to guys like Dragic and Teague for half the price.
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 3,972

Post#6 » by VCfor3 » Tue Dec 3, 2019 4:25 pm

The five teams that could give that to him barring a trade are:
Atlanta - maybe they see him as a secondary playmaker for Trae who also spends time leading the bench unit? They also have Huerter and FVV would be a small SG.
Cleveland - they already have Sexton and Garland
New York - they could use a quality PG but would they view him as enough of a star to commit long term money to?
Memphis - if they don't draft a SG, would they target FVV to pair with Ja (that would be a small backcourt)? Would they prefer to target Malik Beasley, Bogdan Bogdanovic, Brandon Ingram, or someone else? Would they want to maintain cap flexibility instead for potential salary dumps?
Toronto - how much are they willing to pay to keep their guy? They also may be trying to stay within a reasonable distance from a potential Greek Freak-sized max contract amount of cap space in the 2021 offseason.

I guess it is possible for him to get that amount though I'm not sure which of the above teams will be the one to ultimately pull the trigger
Mr Swagtastic
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 3,170

Post#7 » by Mr Swagtastic » Tue Dec 3, 2019 4:36 pm

Freddy I don't think gets $30 million let alone $25+ million. I think Toronto is probably shopping him and Ibaka for couple players that can help their playoff run. Problem is what type of deal going to be
Lord Leoshes wrote:i personally would rather keep Chalmers over Lowry
Laimbeer
RealGM
And1: 13,989

Post#8 » by Laimbeer » Tue Dec 3, 2019 4:37 pm

pacers33granger wrote:That's not even close to the market for non-star PGs. Brogdon got $21 mil, Dinwiddie got $10, Beverley got $12, Rozier got $18, Murray got $14, Rubio got $17, Sato got $10, etc. Is he better than some of those guys? For sure, but not $5-$15 mil a year better.

This is either through his agent or lazily throwing out a number. If that is what he's looking for though, I suspect teams will just pivot to guys like Dragic and Teague for half the price.

He's better than all of them, except maybe Brogdon? Brogdon got 21 and Rozier (!) 18 - so north of 20 seems like a decent bet. I don't think this range is that far off.
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,579

Post#9 » by pacers33granger » Tue Dec 3, 2019 4:51 pm

Laimbeer wrote:
pacers33granger wrote:That's not even close to the market for non-star PGs. Brogdon got $21 mil, Dinwiddie got $10, Beverley got $12, Rozier got $18, Murray got $14, Rubio got $17, Sato got $10, etc. Is he better than some of those guys? For sure, but not $5-$15 mil a year better.

He's better than all of them, except maybe Brogdon? Brogdon got 21 and Rozier (!) 18 - so north of 20 seems like a decent bet. I don't think this range is that far off.

He's better than some. I think it's debatable he's better than all but Brogdon, but in any event, he's most certainly not that much better.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 31,983

Post#10 » by jbk1234 » Tue Dec 3, 2019 6:37 pm

Laimbeer wrote:

Yeah, if he continues to play at his current level, he could clearly get $20M per from a team like the Pistons or Knicks. He wouldn't need to be a no. 1 option on a contending team at $20M per. But, and it's a big but, we're only a quarter of a way through the season. He's been streaky in the past. Let's see if his current percentages hold.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
dakomish23
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 45,309

Post#11 » by dakomish23 » Tue Dec 3, 2019 6:59 pm

4/72 and that's if I have my backcourt in order and don't have needs elsewhere. I'd overpay him to be the 6th man happily.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Spoiler:
https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1592147&start=1720#p57345128

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Jimmit79 wrote:Yea RJ played well he was definitely the x factor

#FreeJimmit
Zordor
Pro Prospect
And1: 43

Post#12 » by Zordor » Tue Dec 3, 2019 8:00 pm

The knicks might pay 22-24M a yr, i think your next tier would be Memphis/Toronto/Charlotte maybe paying 18-19M per year for 3-4 yrs. Market is probably just not going to be as hot as 2021
becorz
Veteran
And1: 507

Post#13 » by becorz » Tue Dec 3, 2019 8:48 pm

pacers33granger wrote:
Laimbeer wrote:

He's better than some. I think it's debatable he's better than all but Brogdon, but in any event, he's most certainly not that much better.

I mean, he might be on par with Brogdan and doesn't have the injury concern. So maybe $25 is the number...if we had 1000000 teams with free agent money. But we don't.

It is going to be an interesting summer in Toronto...I think he is a good fit with Trae, so Atlanta could go hard after him...
Duffman100
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 62,492

Post#14 » by Duffman100 » Tue Dec 3, 2019 9:01 pm

I think the Raps do it. And I think it's something like a 4 year deal, starting at 18 and ending at 22. That's my guess.

I'm OKAY with that. He's averaging 18,7.5, 4, 2 steals while slashing, 40/40/80 and playing great defense. Not a ton of 25 year point guard are doing that.
axeman23
Analyst
And1: 3,074

Post#15 » by axeman23 » Tue Dec 3, 2019 9:04 pm

I like him a LOT as a player, but as a Cavs fan it doesn't make sense for use to sign him after taking 4 guards with our last 4 draft picks. That amount is probably a bit on the high end for him, but as you say, a bit of a weaker FA class, and a team/GM might find them selves needing to over pay to get "a prize" from their available cap space.
MoneyTalks41890
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 20,792

Post#16 » by MoneyTalks41890 » Tue Dec 3, 2019 9:12 pm

I think Toronto and NY are likely the only two after him in FA. And unless the Raps stumble they probably take their chances resigning him. They developed him from nothing and they will need a PG sooner rather than later. I also think this is an agent generated number. Yes, there arent many good FAs this summer, but there also arent a lot of cap space teams that need PGs. The higher the number the less likely the max FA dream in 21 stays alive though.
MoneyTalks41890
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#17 » by MoneyTalks41890 » Tue Dec 3, 2019 9:45 pm

FVV, RHJ for Covington, Napier

I really like his fit on Minny.
E S V L
Analyst
And1: 960

Post#18 » by E S V L » Tue Dec 3, 2019 9:51 pm

VCfor3 wrote:The five teams that could give that to him barring a trade are:
Atlanta - maybe they see him as a secondary playmaker for Trae who also spends time leading the bench unit? They also have Huerter and FVV would be a small SG.
New York - they could use a quality PG but would they view him as enough of a star to commit long term money to?
Memphis - if they don't draft a SG, would they target FVV to pair with Ja (that would be a small backcourt)? Would they prefer to target Malik Beasley, Bogdan Bogdanovic, Brandon Ingram, or someone else? Would they want to maintain cap flexibility instead for potential salary dumps?
Toronto - how much are they willing to pay to keep their guy? They also may be trying to stay within a reasonable distance from a potential Greek Freak-sized max contract amount of cap space in the 2021 offseason.

I guess it is possible for him to get that amount though I'm not sure which of the above teams will be the one to ultimately pull the trigger

I agree that Memphis will certainly target FVV as it makes perfect sense from any perspective.
FK NFL
MoneyTalks41890
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#19 » by MoneyTalks41890 » Tue Dec 3, 2019 9:54 pm

E S V L wrote:
VCfor3 wrote:The five teams that could give that to him barring a trade are:

I agree that Memphis will certainly target FVV as it makes perfect sense from any perspective.

I'm not really up on Fred's defense. Can he guard SGs?
E S V L
Analyst
And1: 960

Post#20 » by E S V L » Tue Dec 3, 2019 9:58 pm

MoneyTalks41890 wrote:I'm not really up on Fred's defense. Can he guard SGs?

What I know is that he managed somehow to play defence in the final alongside Lowry. Also, I assume that Memphis may easily trade Jones in order to use FVV as a backup PG too.
FK NFL

Return to Trades and Transactions