ImageImageImageImageImage

49ers regular season game notes

Moderators: MHSL82, CalamityX12

CrimsonCrew
RealGM
And1: 939

Re: 49ers regular season game notes 

Post#1661 » by CrimsonCrew » Tue Dec 3, 2019 4:56 pm

wco81 wrote:On the fumble by Jimmy, Jeff Wilson missed what looked like an edge blitz pickup. I don't recall who blitzed but he just juked around Wilson.

Can't recall if that blitzed forced the fumble or chased him into another pass rusher who caused it.

The sack was initiated by the DT coming up the middle. Garoppolo saw that coming and started to go down, but didn't secure the ball as much as he could/should have. Then the guy came around the edge and knocked the ball out. I'm assuming that's the guy Wilson missed, but I'm not certain. My biggest issue was that Garoppolo saw the pressure and still didn't secure the ball.
thesack12
RealGM
And1: 2,209

Post#1662 » by thesack12 » Tue Dec 3, 2019 5:05 pm

Yeah the Coleman signing was an unnecessary luxury, that isn't so luxurious. Granted his contract isn't a cap killer, but its too much for what he provides. Especially considering in Shanny's system there are a plethora of guys that can give you what Coleman does at a cheaper rate.

Fortunately Frisco can get away from him and his almost $5mil cap number for next season, with a $0 cap hit. Barring a great playoff performance, that should be a no brainer move.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#1663 » by CrimsonCrew » Tue Dec 3, 2019 5:08 pm

I've been thinking about it recently, and I'm cooling on Garoppolo. I know that's been a hotly debated topic here lately, with some people calling to get rid of him. I think he gets another season, but in thinking about this team, he's the weak link. The D is playing exceptionally well. Shanahan is doing a great job scheming the offense. Guys are stepping up left and right due to the relatively high (but fortunately few season-ending) injury rate. And Garoppolo has had his moments, but it's pretty clear from Shanahan's conservative play calling in crucial moments that he doesn't really trust Garoppolo. Granted Shanahan called a pass on the crucial fourth-down play on Sunday, but I just don't get the sense that he has total faith in Garoppolo, and I can't say I blame him. And that can't happen with a $25-million player.

I have to wonder if we wouldn't be better with an inexpensive QB and good-to-great talent elsewhere. That's a formula that has worked for a number of teams in the recent past. Garoppolo has better physical tools than Mullens, for instance, but it's not like he's killing teams deep. He's generally making the sort of throws that Mullens - a well below average NFL QB in terms of raw skills - can also make. If the deep ball isn't there, and it never has been for Garoppolo, I think there's something to be said for bringing in a Chad Pennington type who will make the right reads, throw the ball well in the short and intermediate area, and then have a killer supporting cast.

As said, I think you've got to give Garoppolo one more year. There's a fair chance he's still suffering ill effects from the injury, and his deep ball has improved this year - though it's still below average. Anyway, just thinking out loud.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#1664 » by CrimsonCrew » Tue Dec 3, 2019 5:24 pm

thesack12 wrote:Yeah the Coleman signing was an unnecessary luxury, that isn't so luxurious. Granted his contract isn't a cap killer, but its too much for what he provides. Especially considering in Shanny's system there are a plethora of guys that can give you what Coleman does at a cheaper rate.

Fortunately Frisco can get away from him and his almost $5mil cap number for next season, with a $0 cap hit. Barring a great playoff performance, that should be a no brainer move.

A lot of people on this board, myself included, were calling for the team to pursue Shaquil Barrett, granted that was before we traded for Ford. Barrett is making $4 million to Coleman's $3.6 million, and he has 14.5 sacks with at least a half sack in nine of twelve games. It's just throwing too much money at a position where you can get good production on the cheap. And Coleman doesn't even really contribute on STs. And it has exacerbated the McKinnon debacle (granted largely injury related, but there's no doubt we overpaid even for a healthy McKinnon). While spending like that was fine when we were second in the league in cap space, that situation is gone. Now we have to make prudent decisions, and this wasn't one.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#1665 » by CrimsonCrew » Tue Dec 3, 2019 5:34 pm

Finally, I was thinking about one benefit of the Emmanuel Sanders trade. I wasn't too keen on keeping him around after this season, but having given it some thought, if we can keep him at a reasonable price, I think it would make sense. We obviously still need help at WR, and this is a year when we could be looking at a comp pick or two (though I think there's at least a 50/50 chance we franchise Armstead). Adding a WR through FA would likely negate any pick we'd get if we moved on from Armstead. But we don't have to worry about that if we re-sign Sanders.

Though, in looking deeper, it might be the following year - if we tag Armstead - where we will really start losing some guys.
thesack12
RealGM

Post#1666 » by thesack12 » Tue Dec 3, 2019 6:05 pm

CrimsonCrew wrote:I've been thinking about it recently, and I'm cooling on Garoppolo. I know that's been a hotly debated topic here lately, with some people calling to get rid of him. I think he gets another season, but in thinking about this team, he's the weak link. The D is playing exceptionally well. Shanahan is doing a great job scheming the offense. Guys are stepping up left and right due to the relatively high (but fortunately few season-ending) injury rate. And Garoppolo has had his moments, but it's pretty clear from Shanahan's conservative play calling in crucial moments that he doesn't really trust Garoppolo. Granted Shanahan called a pass on the crucial fourth-down play on Sunday, but I just don't get the sense that he has total faith in Garoppolo, and I can't say I blame him. And that can't happen with a $25-million player.

I have to wonder if we wouldn't be better with an inexpensive QB and good-to-great talent elsewhere. That's a formula that has worked for a number of teams in the recent past. Garoppolo has better physical tools than Mullens, for instance, but it's not like he's killing teams deep. He's generally making the sort of throws that Mullens - a well below average NFL QB in terms of raw skills - can also make. If the deep ball isn't there, and it never has been for Garoppolo, I think there's something to be said for bringing in a Chad Pennington type who will make the right reads, throw the ball well in the short and intermediate area, and then have a killer supporting cast.

As said, I think you've got to give Garoppolo one more year. There's a fair chance he's still suffering ill effects from the injury, and his deep ball has improved this year - though it's still below average. Anyway, just thinking out loud.

Jimmy surely has some things he needs to clean up, but he hasn't been operating with a full deck for most of the season. His top 2 OT's have missed chunks of time, and the WR corps is mediocre at best. Sure he has a great TE, but even Kittle has missed some time.

Regarding Shanny not trusting him, you mentioned calling for a pass on 4th and 1 but are forgetting that was actually the 2nd time Shanny did that. He also called a pass play on 4th and 1 the previous possession, the one where Sanders drew the PI for a 1st down.

When you start hunting for cheaper QB's, you risk going down into a wormhole that you may not come out of for several years. You don't get rid of a solid/good QB and go on the hunt for another one, especially if your team is a contending one. Even solid QB play is hard to come by. Its very possible you never find a decent QB that can pull his weight, while the team in in their window. When that starts to happen, a sense of urgency starts to be a factor and you see guys like Mike Glennon, Case Kennum, Brock Osweiler, Nick Foles, Joe Flacco getting HUGE contracts only to predictably suck with their new teams.

Also we still can't forget that Jimmy has only started 22 NFL games, with an 18-4 record in those games. Jimmy might not ever be a MVP candidate but give the guy a little more experience, a consistent OL group, and a decent supply of weapons and he certainly could be one of the better QB's in the league. Its not like he's all that far off that currently.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,137

Post#1667 » by wco81 » Tue Dec 3, 2019 6:28 pm

CrimsonCrew wrote:
wco81 wrote:On the fumble by Jimmy, Jeff Wilson missed what looked like an edge blitz pickup. I don't recall who blitzed but he just juked around Wilson.

Can't recall if that blitzed forced the fumble or chased him into another pass rusher who caused it.

The sack was initiated by the DT coming up the middle. Garoppolo saw that coming and started to go down, but didn't secure the ball as much as he could/should have. Then the guy came around the edge and knocked the ball out. I'm assuming that's the guy Wilson missed, but I'm not certain. My biggest issue was that Garoppolo saw the pressure and still didn't secure the ball.

Yeah it was a safety who beat the block and caused the fumble though the satefy flushed him towards another defender who was tackling him when the safety forced the fumble.
wco81
RealGM

Post#1668 » by wco81 » Tue Dec 3, 2019 6:29 pm

IIRC Jimmy’s salary jumps by about $5 million next season.

But not sure his guaranteed money has been paid out so they may not be able to move on without a big cap hit.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#1669 » by CrimsonCrew » Tue Dec 3, 2019 6:45 pm

wco81 wrote:IIRC Jimmy’s salary jumps by about $5 million next season.

But not sure his guaranteed money has been paid out so they may not be able to move on without a big cap hit.

His contract was front-loaded, so he had a cap hit of $37 million last year, $19 million this year, and comes in right around $27 million the following three years.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#1670 » by CrimsonCrew » Tue Dec 3, 2019 6:52 pm

thesack12 wrote:
CrimsonCrew wrote:I've been thinking about it recently, and I'm cooling on Garoppolo. I know that's been a hotly debated topic here lately, with some people calling to get rid of him. I think he gets another season, but in thinking about this team, he's the weak link. The D is playing exceptionally well. Shanahan is doing a great job scheming the offense. Guys are stepping up left and right due to the relatively high (but fortunately few season-ending) injury rate. And Garoppolo has had his moments, but it's pretty clear from Shanahan's conservative play calling in crucial moments that he doesn't really trust Garoppolo. Granted Shanahan called a pass on the crucial fourth-down play on Sunday, but I just don't get the sense that he has total faith in Garoppolo, and I can't say I blame him. And that can't happen with a $25-million player.

Jimmy surely has some things he needs to clean up, but he hasn't been operating with a full deck for most of the season. His top 2 OT's have missed chunks of time, and the WR corps is mediocre at best. Sure he has a great TE, but even Kittle has missed some time.

Regarding Shanny not trusting him, you mentioned calling for a pass on 4th and 1 but are forgetting that was actually the 2nd time Shanny did that. He also called a pass play on 4th and 1 the previous possession, the one where Sanders drew the PI for a 1st down.

When you start hunting for cheaper QB's, you risk going down into a wormhole that you may not come out of for several years. You don't get rid of a solid/good QB and go on the hunt for another one, especially if your team is a contending one. Even solid QB play is hard to come by. Its very possible you never find a decent QB that can pull his weight, while the team in in their window. When that starts to happen, a sense of urgency starts to be a factor and you see guys like Mike Glennon, Case Kennum, Brock Osweiler, Nick Foles, Joe Flacco getting HUGE contracts only to predictably suck with their new teams.

Also we still can't forget that Jimmy has only started 22 NFL games, with an 18-4 record in those games. Jimmy might not ever be a MVP candidate but give the guy a little more experience, a consistent OL group, and a decent supply of weapons and he certainly could be one of the better QB's in the league. Its not like he's all that far off that currently.

I'm not advocating getting rid of Garoppolo at this point. Just something I was reflecting on. I agree that the surest way to routinely compete in this league is to have a good QB. And the surest way to fall short is to have a bad QB. But one of the surest ways to stagnate and never really sniff a championship is to have an expensive QB who is only okay, and I'm concerned that might be what we have in Garoppolo. You are right that there are a slew of QB busts who end up getting overpaid. The difference in our case is that we have Shanahan, who has a very QB friendly system. It is a difficult system for a player to master, but once they do, they tend to play well in it.

Having said that, Shanahan also seems to be a guy who commits to players. This plan only works if we're bringing in a rookie every few years to play at an average level on an inexpensive deal. That puts a lot of stress on our scouting and personnel department, and it requires moving on from a QB when they get too expensive. I'm skeptical that Shanahan would actually follow through with that.

You are right that Garoppolo has had challenges this year. His OL and WR corps are a borderline mess, and his run game has been inconsistent. But a high-priced QB isn't going to have a complete team. They've got to be able to elevate an otherwise inferior team with their superior play. I have seen flashes of that ability from Garoppolo, but he certainly isn't there yet. I think it's exceedingly unlikely that we move on from him this next year, but if he doesn't show legit improvement, we've got to at least consider it.
wco81
RealGM

Post#1671 » by wco81 » Tue Dec 3, 2019 10:25 pm

If they were looking to have an alternative to Jimmy G, that alternative would have to be on the roster by at least next year, go through the OTAs and learn Shanahan's offense.

Would Mullen have led the team to the same record by now?

49ers haven't made too many big pass plays but the question about Mullen is lack of arm strength, isn't it?
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#1672 » by CrimsonCrew » Tue Dec 3, 2019 11:34 pm

wco81 wrote:If they were looking to have an alternative to Jimmy G, that alternative would have to be on the roster by at least next year, go through the OTAs and learn Shanahan's offense.

Would Mullen have led the team to the same record by now?

49ers haven't made too many big pass plays but the question about Mullen is lack of arm strength, isn't it?

It's hard for me to say with conviction that we wouldn't be at least 10-2 with Mullens. The only close wins we have this year are Pittsburgh and the two Arizona games. Everything else we basically dominated. A quick review of the close wins:

Against Pittsburgh, the game was only close because of all the turnovers. Garoppolo had two INTs and a fumble. The first INT was a screen pass that was a little behind Breida and he just popped it up. Gotta put most of the blame for that on Garoppolo. It wasn't a good pass. The second INT might have led Pettis a little too far, but the ball went off his hands on a crossing route so I primarily fault him. The fumbled snap was a bit low, but Garoppolo probably should have held onto it. More importantly, I don't think any throws by Garoppolo made a real difference in this one. I'm quite confident we win this one with Mullens.

In the first AZ game, Kittle took a short pass when he was open by a step across the middle and rumbled 20+ yards for a TD. The next TD was a pass that Garoppolo squeezed in to Bourne between two defenders. I'm not confident Mullens would make that throw - at least in part because he might go to his next read rather than throw it. The other big play on this drive was a short pass to Sanders that he took for 30+. Nothing special about the throw. A one-yard TD pass to Sanders was a pretty easy throw and catch that Mullens could make. The fourth TD was a deep ball to Pettis, who was pretty wide open. I'm pretty confident Mullens could make that one.

The second Arizona game saw some good and bad from Garoppolo. An early drive ended on downs when Mostert dropped a pretty perfect deep-ish ball on the sidelines. No fault on him. The first TD drive saw James take a screen pass almost 60 yards and a short pass to a wide open (at least in the context of the red zone) Dwelley. The next TD drive saw Coleman take a short crosser 40ish yards, a screen to Juszczyk for 20, and another short ball to an open Dwelley. Then there was the inexplicable INT by Hicks deep in Cards territory. I don't think Mullens throws that one. The next drive saw the absurd Samuel catch behind the defender's back; that was a bad throw on third down. Garoppolo did throw a quick-hitter to Bourne for a two-yard TD that Mullens might not have made, but it wasn't all that hard a throw. Then Garoppolo threw the INT that was way behind Dwelley. Garoppolo was under major pressure, but it was a crucial mistake that could have cost us the game. He did bounce back to make the nice read and throw to Wilson to win. All told, I think Mullens wins this one, too.

The rest of the season will be key. Garoppolo will have to show that he can win the close ones. We need to win this week. If we don't, we're going to be a wild card barring the Rams pulling out a semi-miracle (which is still possible, but I'm not counting on it).
wco81
RealGM

Post#1673 » by wco81 » Wed Dec 4, 2019 12:01 am

That first AZ game, Jimmy was hot. Not just in the numbers form the game but he was putting the ball right on the money on several of those throws.

Of course Kittle did most of the work on that TD but Jimmy put the ball in the right place and time for Kittle to make the big RAC and stiff arm to score the TD.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#1674 » by CrimsonCrew » Wed Dec 4, 2019 12:17 am

wco81 wrote:That first AZ game, Jimmy was hot. Not just in the numbers form the game but he was putting the ball right on the money on several of those throws.

Of course Kittle did most of the work on that TD but Jimmy put the ball in the right place and time for Kittle to make the big RAC and stiff arm to score the TD.

Yeah, but Mullens has good ball placement in the short area, too. Let's not forget that Kittle had almost 800 receiving yards and three TDs in the eight games Mullens started. That said, Mullens also threw a lot of INTs (10 in 274 attempts), so it might be a stretch to assume he'd be safer with the ball.
thesack12
RealGM

Post#1675 » by thesack12 » Wed Dec 4, 2019 1:14 am

Sure, having a very good defense is a great asset for a team's QB and the offense in general. But honestly other than Kittle and Shanahan who has consistently helped Jimmy offensively?

The offensive line has been missing its top 2 OT's for big chunks of the season, so there has been very little continuity. Let alone, having to rely heavily on 2nd stringers. The WR corps is quite unremarkable. Outside of Sanders and Samuel, a lot of those other guys would struggle to make other team's rosters, let alone be relied upon for significant snaps. Even those 2 previously mentioned guys haven't been consistent. Samuel has just started to come in recent weeks, and Sanders has been limited via injury for the last 3 or 4 weeks. Sanders also wasn't even on the roster until week 9. Outside of Kittle, the TE's are just a bunch of blocking specialists that aren't even all that great in that facet. Kittle even missed 2 games.

Sure the run game as a whole has been really good. But there isn't one guy that you can depend on in that group. Coleman has been basically non existent since his 3 TD game against Carolina. Take that game out and he's teetering on being a net - out there. Breida has been solid, but as per usual with him he has missed a handful of games and been limited in a few others via injury. Mostert has arguably been the best RB overall, but he's more or less just a change of pace guy. Wilson has been good in spot situations, but he only plays like a max of 10 snaps per game. Juszczyk is an excellent blocker, but he rarely gets a carry, although he will make a few plays in the passing game. Still he has missed 4 games.

Special team isn't doing the offense too many favors either. 9ers are 29th in kickoff return average with a long of only 27 yards (which is dead last in the league.) Punt return average is better at 9th with a long of 32 (14th in the league.) Frisco is 28th in FG made % at a mere 70% (21/30), with a long of 48 yards (29th best.), and is 0-4 on kicks over 50 yards. Fortunately they have converted 100% of PAT's. Team is 24th in punting average.

Even with all of that in the equation, Frisco is 2nd in points scored and 6th in total yards gained (2nd in rushing yards, and 16th in passing yards. They also have the 3rd best time of possession. Of course a good run game and good defense helps the time of possession equation, but you still need a solid passing attack to sustain drives.

Jimmy is 12th in QBR, 10th in rating, 8th in yards/attempt, and 6th in completion %. The guy is rock solid, some could argue he's actually good.

Something that can't be forgotten is the team is currently 10-2. I think a lot of people are being too critical of the offense and, Garoppolo in particular. Sure he isn't putting the team on his back and leading the team to win after win after win, but he isn't getting nearly enough credit either. Some make it seem like the team is winning despite him.
Yoshi
Senior
And1: 30

Post#1676 » by Yoshi » Wed Dec 4, 2019 3:47 am

I'm with crimson on this one, as I'm not a big fan of Jimmy G. Sure, he has a winning record and he has the team as one of the top 5 teams in the league. He's made some solid plays i.e. being solid in both Arizona games as well as throwing for two long TD's in a game I attended with my son and other fam members, the Packers game.

He also had a solid QB rating in the Baltimore game. However, speaking of that Packers game, in some of the plays where he took a sack, he tends to not go through his progressions quick enough and sometimes is indecisive in what he wants to do. I even called the Game 95.7 and shared the notion moments after the game with Bonta Hill and Shasky about this observation, which was driving us nuts sitting up there watching these events as they were unfolding.

And we all know he has a turnover issue - whether it's INT's or fumbling the ball in the most inopportune of moments (the Seahawks game with Clowney leading to a TD and the turnover in the Ravens game) - hell I'll cut him some slack there as the ball was wet, but you catch my drift.

At 28 years of age he still is in a ways a second year QB with the games missed and all. Perhaps one day he can develop into a great QB but I won't be much money on it. I hope I'm wrong, and perhaps it's just me being myself as we all know the window of opportunity for teams in the NFL isn't very long with the salary cap. Their defense and depth is A+ caliber, but it won't be that way forever. With the amount of money invested into one position for a guy who may not be a top 5, perhaps not even a top 10 QB as of right now, it's a tough pill to swallow.
We're bringing the Axe back home to where it belongs! What do you see? UC Berkeley Fan of the SF Giants, 49ers, Warriors, Alabama Crimson Tide, Cal Bears, La Furia Roja, Three Lions, FC Barcelona, Arsenal FC, & the NZ All Blacks Rugby Team.
thesack12
RealGM

Post#1677 » by thesack12 » Wed Dec 4, 2019 4:14 am

Veteran QB average salaries:

Wilson: 35 mil
Roethlisberger: 34 mil
Rodgers: 33.5 mil
Goff: 33.5 mil
Wentz: 32 mil
Ryan: 30 mil
Cousins: 28 mil
Garoppolo: 27.5 mil
Stafford: 27 mil
Carr: 25 mil
Brees: 25 mil
A. Smith: 23.5 mil
Brady: 23 mil
Flacco: 22.1 mil
Foles: 22 mil
E. Manning: 21 mil
Rivers: 20.8 mil
Newton: 20.7 mil
Dalton: 16 mil
Brissett: 15 mil

To be honest, I don't really see a problem with Jimmy's numbers.

Outside of Brees and Brady, who are both near the end of their lines, there isn't anybody under Grapps on that list that I would rather have. Above him we have Cousins who arguably isn't as good as Jimmy, Ryan and Roehtlisberger are in the twilight of their careers, both Wentz and Goff's arrows have firmly been pointing down for awhile now, which only leaves Rodgers and Wilson.

Mahomes, Watson, Prescott will all soon be at or near the top of that list. I personally would rather have Jimmy over Dak.

QB's are expensive, that's just the nature of the business. As someone else said, if you are a contending team and are planning to move on from a solid QB you have damn well better have someone in house ready to step in (Like a Kaepernick/Alex Smith type situation.) I have a really hard time believing Nick Mullens can be that guy IMO. If you have eyes towards drafting one, not only are there MANY, MANY more misses than hits with QB's, but you better take into account the 9ers are going to be drafting at the very tail end of the draft and are kinda short on draft capital as well.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#1678 » by CrimsonCrew » Wed Dec 4, 2019 7:40 pm

thesack12 wrote:Veteran QB average salaries:

Wilson: 35 mil
Roethlisberger: 34 mil
Rodgers: 33.5 mil
Goff: 33.5 mil
Wentz: 32 mil
Ryan: 30 mil
Cousins: 28 mil
Garoppolo: 27.5 mil
Stafford: 27 mil
Carr: 25 mil
Brees: 25 mil
A. Smith: 23.5 mil
Brady: 23 mil
Flacco: 22.1 mil
Foles: 22 mil
E. Manning: 21 mil
Rivers: 20.8 mil
Newton: 20.7 mil
Dalton: 16 mil
Brissett: 15 mil

To be honest, I don't really see a problem with Jimmy's numbers.

Outside of Brees and Brady, who are both near the end of their lines, there isn't anybody under Grapps on that list that I would rather have. Above him we have Cousins who arguably isn't as good as Jimmy, Ryan and Roehtlisberger are in the twilight of their careers, both Wentz and Goff's arrows have firmly been pointing down for awhile now, which only leaves Rodgers and Wilson.

Mahomes, Watson, Prescott will all soon be at or near the top of that list. I personally would rather have Jimmy over Dak.

QB's are expensive, that's just the nature of the business. As someone else said, if you are a contending team and are planning to move on from a solid QB you have damn well better have someone in house ready to step in (Like a Kaepernick/Alex Smith type situation.) I have a really hard time believing Nick Mullens can be that guy IMO. If you have eyes towards drafting one, not only are there MANY, MANY more misses than hits with QB's, but you better take into account the 9ers are going to be drafting at the very tail end of the draft and are kinda short on draft capital as well.

I might take Brissett for $15 million and Stephon Gilmore for ~$13 million over Garoppolo for $27 million. But this approach works best if you're playing a QB on their rookie deal. Would I take, say, Gardner Minshew and two elite players at other positions over Garoppolo? I'd at least consider it. Or Ryan Tannehill, an elite player, and a top-20 player at a high value position.
Bald Bull
Veteran
And1: 155

Post#1679 » by Bald Bull » Wed Dec 4, 2019 7:51 pm

This may pass steven a smith for worst example of talking out of your ass about sports you know nothing about.
Read on Twitter
Pattersonca65
Analyst
And1: 206

Post#1680 » by Pattersonca65 » Wed Dec 4, 2019 8:14 pm

I don't think Shanahan has trust issues with Jimmy G. I think he has trust issues with the offensive line because of the tackles. It has made him more conservative in his play calling at times. As far as Mullens, I hate to speak badly about him because overall I really like him but he is a backup. Looking at PFFs analysis of Mullens, you can see why he is a backup. Jimmy G does other things better that Mullens doesn't do. You also have to wonder if teams had another year to see Mullens as a starter if defenses will be able to exploit his weaknesses.

https://www.ninersnation.com/2019/2/4/18201520/pff-qb-annual-nick-mullens-takeaways-49ers-quarterback

Return to San Francisco 49ers