ImageImageImageImageImage

What is your ideal lineup for the 2020 season if you had it your way?

Moderators: Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose, Sleepy51

killmongrel
Veteran
And1: 1,291

Re: What is your ideal lineup for the 2020 season if you had it your way? 

Post#61 » by killmongrel » Sat Nov 30, 2019 4:26 pm

xdrta+ wrote:
killmongrel wrote:
DAWill1128 wrote:Center Position:
A) Draft Wiseman
B) Trade TPE for Valancunas/Nurkic
C) Sign Howard/Gasol/Ibaka with the MLE

Small Forward:
A) Trade Russell for Gordon
B) Trade Russell for Covington/Wiggins
C) Sign Ariza/Bazemore with the MLE

* Trade Russell and 1st rounder for Gordon, Bamba, Iwundu
* Trade TPE for Wright and Curry
* Sign Gasol with MLE
* Sign Igoudola with Vets Minimum

C Gasol, Looney, Bamba
PF Green, Paschall, Spellman
SF Gordon, Igoudola, Iwundu
SG Thompson, Curry, Poole
PG Curry, Wright, Bowman
I like some of the stuff you said.

A pretty good situation that I was thinking about would be.

If we don't get a top pick, maybe draft Cole Anthony. Trade DLO+fillers for Aaron Gordon(I think he can improve his shooting)+Terrance Ross. Use the TPE for Jonas Valancunias. Use the MLE if there is a good FA. Get Iguodala for vet. minimum.

Steph/Cole/Bowman
Klay/Ross/Poole
Gordon/Paschall/Iguodala
Green/Spellman/Chriss
Valancunias/Looney/Smailagic

I don't see how you use the trade exception for Valanciunas, or even more so for Nurkic, as was mentioned. Are they going to give him up for a draft pick?

Depends on what the Grizzlies plans are. Valancunias is older than their core. And maybe the Warriors can get him for a future 1st, etc. Unlikely, but it's an idea.
ChuckDurn
Assistant Coach
And1: 789

Post#62 » by ChuckDurn » Sun Dec 1, 2019 11:13 pm

Changing up from my earlier post, after thinking of the fit of a Russell for Vucevic trade..... this would look really good to me.

PG: Curry / Bowman
SG: Thompson / Poole / Evans
SF: Paschall / Iguodala (MLE)
PF: Draymond / Spellman / Chriss
C: Vucevic / Looney / Smiley

Draft: assume we get a pick in the 5-8 range, I'd (currently consider) Maxey, Jaden McDaniels, or Isaiah Stewart..... though both Mannion and Malodon intrigue me. (I'm assuming the top 4 will be Wiseman, Edwards, Cole Anthony, and LaMelo in some order.)

If somehow we could use the TPE to get at a least a fringe starter-type, that's a pretty solid team.
If I don't have anything funny to say, can I still have a signature?
cpower
RealGM
And1: 7,134

Post#63 » by cpower » Mon Dec 2, 2019 3:57 pm

BongBoyKlay wrote:
cpower wrote:Anyway we can get Jimmy Butler for Dlo + filler + picks?

I don't think Miami would want to trade Butler considering they just got him and he seems like a great fit for their culture and team. Unless things suddenly change and he wants out, I don't see them trading him.

I also don't know if he would be a great fit with the Warriors culture, and I could see him and Draymond going at it pretty quickly. Although he would help us on defense, he plays a lot more iso ball than the Warriors do and he might mess up the flow of the offense.

he is over 30 and wants to win..given his talent and bbiq i dont think making adjustment is hard. and Butler was never a volume scorer to begin with.
Warriors Analyst
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,694

Post#64 » by Warriors Analyst » Mon Dec 2, 2019 6:33 pm

I'm actually pretty pleased with the development of the Warriors' young guys and castoffs. I don't think its crazy to say that next year's bench could be better than any of the Warriors' benches in the KD era. I'm still not completely convinced the Warriors should trade Russell. I think his defense should improve over the course of the season and he has the wingspan to be a solid individual defender. His help defense needs improvement but I think that Russell hasn't been done any favors spending most of his playing time next to Poole and WCS in the starting lineup. Russell has been a pretty damn efficient scorer by EFG% and his improvement at getting to the line bodes well for his future.

I still think the Warriors desperately need someone to create buckets with Steph off of the floor and Russell has shown an ability to hit difficult shots against tough defenders. I don't believe the Bucks will consider trading Giannis until his contract runs out and even if they did, I don't think Russell + Green + Poole/Paschall + 2020 first gets it done. I'm also not sold on the premise of Covington + Teague/filler unless the Warriors use their first rounder to pick someone like RJ Hampton or Cole Anthony. There is an absolute need for a secondary ball handler that can carry the bench AND play next to Steph. I'm not convinced that a rookie guard will be as effective as Russell in that role and while Covington is absolutely a plus defender, he can't create his own shot. Unless you believe Paschall in a modified death lineup next to Steph/Klay/Dray/Covington could become this team's playoff ISO scorer, I think I'd rather have 3/4 potent scorers in Steph/Russell/Klay/Paschall for defenders to worry about come playoff time and not sacrifice this team's long term core.

I've enjoyed the Paschall experience so far, but unless his 3% shooting comes around, I don't see him as much more than a bench version of Corey Maggette, which isn't a terrible thing off of the bench, but I've found Paschall's game to be a lot harder to evaluate than I imagined. He's very clearly an effective interior scorer and should benefit from increased spacing next year, but I don't trust the form on his J, he's shown some severe tunnel vision -- which may just be a symptom of him being thrust into a primary scoring role -- and he's not much of a rebounder. I think that Paschall's defense and rebounding will be better next year simply because Kerr will demand a more expanded game out of him in a non-development year, but I don't see Paschall as a long-term starter unless he becomes 35% + three point shooter.

So with all that said, I am really excited by what the future holds for the young guys and castoffs that are leading this glorious tank! In a perfect world I'd like to keep all of Bowman, GRIII, Burks, Lee, Spellman, and Chriss, but I don't think that makes sense with the Warriors' roster construction. I haven't seen enough of Evans to really get a sense of how he has or has not improved this year and while I'm a little more optimistic about Poole than others, I doubt he'll be a part of Kerr's rotation next year unless his defense significantly improves.

I'm surprised rot realize I quite like Ky Bowman! He's a strong defender at his size and he seems to be able to play with equal effectiveness on and off-ball, which must make Kerr very happy. However, I don't think that Bowman will be on the team next year if any 2 of Russel, Burks, and Evans are still on the roster. Russell, Burks, and Evans all seem to be players that are most effective with the ball in their hands and assuming they all see some minutes together in bench line-ups, I think Kerr would rather have longer wings on the floor next to Russel, which means there's not really space for Bowman.

Unless Evans balls out this year, I'd rather have Burks on this team. Burks has shown an impressive ability to create his own shots, he hits open J's, he's a solid defender, and he'll be even better attacking closeouts and running end of shot-clock PNR's when some of Steph/Klay/Russell are playing. Whether or not he'll price himself out of the Warriors' price range is another question, but he's implied that he'd like to come back so who knows. GRIII seems to be growing a bit with every game. I get the sense that he's never been given this amount of freedom by any coach and it's been fun watching him expand his game attacking close outs and taking pull-up J's. His 3% has been solid this year and last year's poor percentage looks like an aberration, which bodes well for the type of looks he'd get next year subbing in with the starters at the 3 or playing in mixed bench line ups. Most importantly, he doesn't make a lot of mistakes, he's a solid offensive rebounder -- to the point I've forgotten all about McKinnie -- and he's a good enough defender that Kerr will trust him in high-leverage situations in the playoffs. He's a keeper in my eyes and all indications seem to be that he'd be thrilled to pick up his player option and play a role in a championship push.

We haven't seen a whole lot of Lee, but I'm higher on him than most; he's a legitimate NBA shooter, he can create for himself, and he's long enough to be a neutral defender. I don't think he's a 25 + minutes a game player in the playoffs, but he's a good microwave scorer and my scorching hot take about him is that the Warriors would have won a championship with him on the playoff roster rather than Jones last year. Eventually, I'd like Poole to take over his role, but until his shot comes around and his defense gets more up to snuff, he has a way to go. With all that said, I think he's actually rather skilled for his age as a ball-handler and his footwork off-ball. When his shot comes around -- and I think it will when the game slows down for him and his release tightens up a bit -- it will allow him a little more space to operate as a ball-handler. As he gets stronger and is able to take more contact in the paint I suspect he'll play his way into more FT attempts, but what intrigues me most about Poole is his passing! He's shown some impressive passing flair in traffic and I think in a few years, he'll be a fun combo guard secondary ball-handler that can heat up in a hurry and/or hit shooters on kickouts. I also highly doubt the Warriors' FO wants to give up on another prospect, which is another story altogether...

Spellman and Chriss have ben my favorite players to watch this season, as weird as that sounds. I may be overly optimistic about their futures, but I think that between Looney/Spellman/Chriss and one more big body -- ideally more of a bruiser ala Baynes, Zaza, Kyle O''Quinn to soak up minutes against the brutish 5's -- the Warriors are pretty set at the center position. I understand the aesthetic appeal of a hyper-athletic lob toy like Wiseman, but rookie centers are very rarely effective defenders and beyond that centers are devalued come playoff time unless they can space the floor, play elite D or do both things at once. Marc Gasol is the last star center to have won a championship. Since the Kerr era, the starting 5's that won in the Finals were Draymond, Tristan Thompson, Zaza, Zaza, and Marc Gasol. I don't see the point in wasting a high draft pick on a rookie big that will take time to develop. I'd much rather get a wing that is playable as a rookie and can develop long term or trade the pick for a mid 20's wing ala Kelly Oubre Jr., which is to say a young guy with All-Star potential that can grow into a bigger role.

Looney's health concerns me, but I'm hoping this season can clarify how much his body can withstand starter's minutes long term and give him the opportunity to expand his offensive game. If Looney shows that he can credibly hit the 3, it'll open up his opportunity to attack closeouts and he's shown that he's surprisingly nimble and adept with the ball in his hands. We already know that he inhales rebounds and is an excellent defender, but if he can legitimately space the floor and stay healthy, I see no reason he shouldn't be our long term starting center. Unless Draymond's shot comes around -- and it seems increasingly unlikely it does -- the Warriors absolutely need spacing at the 5 and Looney has also been the Warriors' best defensive 5 for two playoff runs in a row. I think Looney's career could resemble something like Al Horford with a lesser scoring game; a reliable defender 1-5 that doesn't make mistakes, hits the boards hard, and hits enough threes to keep opponents honest.

What excites me about both Chriss and Spellman is that I think their skillsets compliment Green and Looney very well and while Paschall is the obvious back-up 4 long term, I think it's not unreasonable that the Warriors could survive playing some combos of Green/Looney, Green/Chriss, Green/Spellman, Looney/Chriss, Spellman/Chriss, Spellman/Looney. Spellman's rebounding and shooting ability should let him oscillate between 4/5 pretty well, especially if he keeps shedding weight and uses his shooting threat to get to the rim occasionally. What's impressed me most about Chriss is that he's an excellent passer for a big man. Of course, I'd prefer that the Warriors at full health put the ball in Steph's hands, Kerr likes his big men to facilitate and it's been oddly titillating to watch Chriss orchestrate the offense at the top of the key. He knows how to lead cutters into passes, he's got Bogut level creativity on the DHO's -- especially when he fakes the dribble and drops the ball behind him with one hand -- and I've noticed on several instances that he's points out to players where they should go on offense. Beyond that, Chriss is super athletic and has been a far more credible lob threat than WCS, and there's been game to game improvement on his defense. The rotations still need some work and he occasionally pulls a Jordan Bell on pump fakes, but I've been very impressed by the way he's starting to contest shots by maintaining verticality when players drive into his chest. I think Chriss would be equally effective initiating next to Steph/Klay as he would rim-running in second units with Russell. It's very easy for me to imagine subbing in for Looney in playing the final minutes of the first quarter and then playing the non-Steph minutes of the second quarter, but this all might be overly optimistic.

Lord knows what Smailagic will look like, but I find myself more and more upset that the Warriors have players who strike me as having more immediate impact and long-term potential than Smailagic/Poole/Evans on the roster that may have to kick rocks for the sake of seeing out the impact of the Lacob's draft picks. In an ideal world, Smailagic and Evans are shipped with the pick for a long term 3 or with Russell for the long 3 this team needs and the Warriors can pick up Iguodala and their bruiser 5 in FA next summer and use their pick for a combo guard

The way I see it there's two paths to this Warriors' roster next year.

With Russell:

Curry / Russell / Evans
Russell / Burks / GRIII / Poole
Klay / mid 20's wing or 1st rounder / Iguodala
Green / Paschall / Spellman
Looney / Chriss / Spellman / Bruiser FA

Without Russell:

Curry / Bowman / Evans
Klay / Cole Anthony / GRIII
Mid 20's wing / Iguodala / Burks
Green / Paschall / Spellman
Looney / Chriss / Spellman / Bruiser FA
killmongrel
Veteran

Post#65 » by killmongrel » Mon Dec 2, 2019 7:47 pm

Warriors Analyst wrote:....
Thanks for your post. It was very insightful.

But just to comment on a few things you touched upon, I don't see players like Burks and maybe even Chriss being on this team long term. I think they're going to trade Burks this season since he's most likely played his way out of any long term contracts the Warriors are willing to pay him. If a playoff team is willing to give the Warriors a pick to get him, I think they trade him. With Chriss, as much as I'd like to keep him, it all depends on what they can sign him for, and how the other bigs on the team develop. Right now, there is a glut of 4/5s on the team with no true starting center that the coaching staff is enamored with to be the starter when they start competing for a championship again. Spellman has been a revelation. If he continues to play well, it makes Chriss a little more expendable, especially since Spellman is going to be on a rookie deal for the next couple years. And we have yet to see what Smailagic can bring. With all of the current bigs, Looney, Green, Spellman, Paschall, Chriss, Smailagic, and whoever they get as a starter next summer, that is about 7 players dedicated to just the 4 and 5. I don't know how that'll work unless Paschall continues to progress and comes off the bench at the 3 and fills in at the 4 in some schemes.

I do disagree with you when it comes to Bowman. I think they keep him even if DLO stays. But of course that might depend on what we see with Evans and if the Ws decide to draft and Edwards or Cole. But having a player with Bowman's potential on a cheap deal as a 3rd stringer is a smart move.

GR3 is somebody I hope they keep long term on a team friendly deal. You can't find a better bench player that might be within our budget. He can play the 2 and 3. Has seemed to have found his Pacers form. And he seems to like playing for the organization. But if we were to keep him, and plan on making some other moves, we might not have much room for anything else roster wise.

Steph/Evans/Bowman
DLO/GR3/Poole
Klay/Paschall/Iguodala
Green/Spellman/Chriss
Starting Center/Looney/Smailagic

That is already a 15 man roster. And I haven't included a draft pick, or if the Warriors use their TPE. So unless the Warriors can't find any better options, then I can see them using the MLE, or part of it, to retain GR3. Use the vet. minimum to get Iguodala. Use the draft pick to draft a center like Wiseman, or use it to bundle with DLO for a trade, which complicates the roster. And/or use the TPE to poach a center from another team with a pick/or picks.

Just a lot of things to think about.
Warriors Analyst
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,694

Post#66 » by Warriors Analyst » Mon Dec 2, 2019 11:05 pm

killmongrel wrote:

But just to comment on a few things you touched upon, I don't see players like Burks and maybe even Chriss being on this team long term. I think they're going to trade Burks this season since he's most likely played his way out of any long term contracts the Warriors are willing to pay him. If a playoff team is willing to give the Warriors a pick to get him, I think they trade him. With Chriss, as much as I'd like to keep him, it all depends on what they can sign him for, and how the other bigs on the team develop. Right now, there is a glut of 4/5s on the team with no true starting center that the coaching staff is enamored with to be the starter when they start competing for a championship again. Spellman has been a revelation. If he continues to play well, it makes Chriss a little more expendable, especially since Spellman is going to be on a rookie deal for the next couple years. And we have yet to see what Smailagic can bring. With all of the current bigs, Looney, Green, Spellman, Paschall, Chriss, Smailagic, and whoever they get as a starter next summer, that is about 7 players dedicated to just the 4 and 5. I don't know how that'll work unless Paschall continues to progress and comes off the bench at the 3 and fills in at the 4 in some schemes.

I do disagree with you when it comes to Bowman. I think they keep him even if DLO stays. But of course that might depend on what we see with Evans and if the Ws decide to draft and Edwards or Cole. But having a player with Bowman's potential on a cheap deal as a 3rd stringer is a smart move.

GR3 is somebody I hope they keep long term on a team friendly deal. You can't find a better bench player that might be within our budget. He can play the 2 and 3. Has seemed to have found his Pacers form. And he seems to like playing for the organization. But if we were to keep him, and plan on making some other moves, we might not have much room for anything else roster wise.

Steph/Evans/Bowman
DLO/GR3/Poole
Klay/Paschall/Iguodala
Green/Spellman/Chriss

That is already a 15 man roster. And I haven't included a draft pick, or if the Warriors use their TPE. So unless the Warriors can't find any better options, then I can see them using the MLE, or part of it, to retain GR3. Use the vet. minimum to get Iguodala. Use the draft pick to draft a center like Wiseman, or use it to bundle with DLO for a trade, which complicates the roster. And/or use the TPE to poach a center from another team with a pick/or picks.

Burks getting traded wouldn't be surprising to me, but I'm really hoping they're able to dump WCS for a highly protected 2nd rounder or a non-guaranteed contract and keep Burks, Bowman, and Chriss. I too would like to keep Bowman even if Russell is on the roster next year! I think he'd be very good at pestering point guards and I think this ability to create makes him more interesting than Evans. Bowman has performed pretty well even when playing against starters. I think it would be quite nice to have a microwave scorer off the bench like Bowman. In the KD era this team got away with not having a real bench scorer because they had four top 20 players in the game and the Iguodala/West/Livingston led bench units defended well enough to get by when they couldn't score.

The pre KD teams had at least two guys who you could occasionally ride to 20 points when Speights and Barbosa got hot. Livingston was also way more effective offensively when he was the only non-shooter on the court and while he got used to sharing the floor with Looney and/or West, it didn't matter nearly as much because we had KD. It's important to have at least one player outside of the stars who can legitimately carry an offensive burden. At any point in time they were playing in bench units, Curry/Klay/KD knew were the only players players who could create their own shots, so I'm rather fond of the idea of Bowman and I think he'd fit well next to Russell, but I think Kerr is more concerned about defensive off of the bench than he needs to be. Although Cook's shooting abandoned him in the Finals, I found the reluctance to play him frustrating when the Warriors desperately needed bench shooting. Bowman is a better defender but I worry that Kerr wouldn't play him in the playoffs.

We're basically agreeing with each other, but I think I'm higher on Chriss than you are. I think he's got the highest ceiling of any of the young bigs. His three ball isn't great, but the passing ability really makes him valuable in Kerr's system and the athleticism is impressive. WCS may be able to run faster, but there's a level of coordination to Criss' movements that really intrigues me. He's only 22, which is why I'm so curious as what he'd look like at age 25 or 26 after spending several seasons in a quality organization. With the reps he's gotten, his fundamentals are improving rapidly.
killmongrel
Veteran

Post#67 » by killmongrel » Tue Dec 3, 2019 3:36 am

Warriors Analyst wrote:
killmongrel wrote:

Steph/Evans/Bowman
DLO/GR3/Poole
Klay/Paschall/Iguodala
Green/Spellman/Chriss

Burks getting traded wouldn't be surprising to me, but I'm really hoping they're able to dump WCS for a highly protected 2nd rounder or a non-guaranteed contract and keep Burks, Bowman, and Chriss. I too would like to keep Bowman even if Russell is on the roster next year! I think he'd be very good at pestering point guards and I think this ability to create makes him more interesting than Evans. Bowman has performed pretty well even when playing against starters. I think it would be quite nice to have a microwave scorer off the bench like Bowman. In the KD era this team got away with not having a real bench scorer because they had four top 20 players in the game and the Iguodala/West/Livingston led bench units defended well enough to get by when they couldn't score.

The pre KD teams had at least two guys who you could occasionally ride to 20 points when Speights and Barbosa got hot. Livingston was also way more effective offensively when he was the only non-shooter on the court and while he got used to sharing the floor with Looney and/or West, it didn't matter nearly as much because we had KD. It's important to have at least one player outside of the stars who can legitimately carry an offensive burden. At any point in time they were playing in bench units, Curry/Klay/KD knew were the only players players who could create their own shots, so I'm rather fond of the idea of Bowman and I think he'd fit well next to Russell, but I think Kerr is more concerned about defensive off of the bench than he needs to be. Although Cook's shooting abandoned him in the Finals, I found the reluctance to play him frustrating when the Warriors desperately needed bench shooting. Bowman is a better defender but I worry that Kerr wouldn't play him in the playoffs.

We're basically agreeing with each other, but I think I'm higher on Chriss than you are. I think he's got the highest ceiling of any of the young bigs. His three ball isn't great, but the passing ability really makes him valuable in Kerr's system and the athleticism is impressive. WCS may be able to run faster, but there's a level of coordination to Criss' movements that really intrigues me. He's only 22, which is why I'm so curious as what he'd look like at age 25 or 26 after spending several seasons in a quality organization. With the reps he's gotten, his fundamentals are improving rapidly.
I think at the moment, we actually have decent scoring options off the bench if the team keeps Paschal on the bench, and signs Bowman. Omari himself is probably a better scoring option than we've had in the KD era for a bench player. Last season, the Warriors were depending on Cook and Lee to be the scoring options when McKinnie and Jerebko's hot starts tapered off. And neither Cook or Lee were that great. Paschall at the moment is looking like a genuine lottery pick. And I think he's only going to get better.

I'd like to get rid of Burks and WCS when we can for various reasons, but I'd definitely try to keep GR3 and Chriss at the vet. minimums if possible. Aside from that, it really depends on what happens with DLO and the starters.
cdubbz
RealGM
And1: 2,816

Post#68 » by cdubbz » Tue Dec 3, 2019 5:00 pm

PG - Curry/Cole Anthony
SG - Klay Thompson/Alec Burks/Poole
SF - ?????????
PF - Draymond Green/Eric Paschall
C - Andre Drummond/Looney/Markieff Morris
Kuya wrote: a good agent collects all the data, including quotes to give them leverage in contract deals.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,184

Post#69 » by clyde21 » Tue Dec 3, 2019 5:28 pm

1. trade DLo/Poole to the Suns for Cam Johnson and their 1st

2. trade Paschall to Denver for Bol Bol

3. draft Scottie Lewis (with our pick), Oscar Tshiebwe with the Suns pick, Quentin Grimes with our 2nd

4. bring back Boges/Iggy/McKinnie:

Steph / Grimes / Bowman
Klay / Cam
Lewis / Iggy / McKinnie
Dray / Tshiebwe / Smiley
Loon / Bol / Bogut

we get our core back, have good young talent, have 5 wings that can play, have length and shot blocking in the front court, several playmakers, shooting, and defense across the board.
cdubbz
RealGM

Post#70 » by cdubbz » Tue Dec 3, 2019 5:50 pm

cdubbz wrote:PG - Curry/Cole Anthony
SF - ?????????/Iggy

Somehow we get a serviceable SF or wing for 3 & D. But our front court will be solidified with Looney backing up the PF/C positions. Cole Anthony solidifies our backup PG minutes and he is a capable scorer.
Kuya wrote: a good agent collects all the data, including quotes to give them leverage in contract deals.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#71 » by clyde21 » Tue Dec 3, 2019 6:22 pm

cdubbz wrote:
SF - ?????????/Iggy

Somehow we get a serviceable SF or wing for 3 & D. But our front court will be solidified with Looney backing up the PF/C positions. Cole Anthony solidifies our backup PG minutes and he is a capable scorer.

why would u waste a top5 pick on a back up point? :-?

especially in a draft deep in PGs and ur likely to be able to get a good back up point in the 2nd? makes no sense.
cdubbz
RealGM

Post#72 » by cdubbz » Tue Dec 3, 2019 8:57 pm

clyde21 wrote:
cdubbz wrote:
SF - ?????????/Iggy

especially in a draft deep in PGs and ur likely to be able to get a good back up point in the 2nd? makes no sense.

Cole Anthony versus a second round point guard like Tre Jones or Cassius Winston?

In this scenario I Draft Cole Anthony because we trade for Drummond. The Warriors lack the scoring and ball handling off the bench. Other option is Anthony Edwards but Cole has the scoring touch that Edwards has + ball handling skills and playmaking abilities. It’s insurance if Curry gets injured or if Warriors our Curry on load management.

And we need to realize that rookies are much younger now. They still need to develop and top 5 pick doesn’t mean you have the right to start. Cole looks good in UNC but coming off the bench for Curry on a loaded playoff team isn’t the worst for a lottery pick.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#73 » by clyde21 » Tue Dec 3, 2019 9:59 pm

cdubbz wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
cdubbz wrote:

Cole Anthony versus a second round point guard like Tre Jones or Cassius Winston?

In this scenario I Draft Cole Anthony because we trade for Drummond. The Warriors lack the scoring and ball handling off the bench. Other option is Anthony Edwards but Cole has the scoring touch that Edwards has + ball handling skills and playmaking abilities. It’s insurance if Curry gets injured or if Warriors our Curry on load management.

And we need to realize that rookies are much younger now. They still need to develop and top 5 pick doesn’t mean you have the right to start. Cole looks good in UNC but coming off the bench for Curry on a loaded playoff team isn’t the worst for a lottery pick.

1. so you're willing to leave the wing position completely void because you want to draft a back up PG in the top5 when we already have Steph and Dray who will handle the majority of PG duties anyways?

2. look across the league, there are back up PGs everywhere that were drafted in the 2nd or undrafted at all: Devonte Graham, Spencer Dinwiddie, Carsen Edwards, Monte Morris, Jalen Brunson, Bruce Brown, Frank Jackson, etc. etc...it's probably the easiest position to fill in the NBA via the 2nd round, and this is actually a strong PG class too so there should be good options in the 2nd.

sorry, can't get behind that reasoning at all...seems like a complete waste of a top5 pick.
killmongrel
Veteran

Post#74 » by killmongrel » Tue Dec 3, 2019 10:15 pm

Aaron Gordon just having a bad year is completely taking me out of the bandwagon to trade for him. I think he is better suited as a pf, rather than an sf which is what we would want him to do. Paschall playing well has pretty much made Gordon less of a priority when it comes to possible trades. So with that said, I do not have any idea on who can fill in at the 3. My dream is for Paschall to progress so well, he starts at the 3. If that isn't possible, then we are going to have to come up with something or hope Klay works at the 3.

I don't want Covington. So I'm just wondering who else is there.
cdubbz
RealGM

Post#75 » by cdubbz » Tue Dec 3, 2019 10:25 pm

clyde21 wrote:
cdubbz wrote:
clyde21 wrote:

1. so you're willing to leave the wing position completely void because you want to draft a back up PG in the top5 when we already have Steph and Dray who will handle the majority of PG duties anyways?

2. look across the league, there are back up PGs everywhere that were drafted in the 2nd or undrafted at all: Devonte Graham, Spencer Dinwiddie, Carsen Edwards, Monte Morris, Jalen Brunson, Bruce Brown, Frank Jackson, etc. etc...it's probably the easiest position to fill in the NBA via the 2nd round, and this is actually a strong PG class too so there should be good options in the 2nd.

sorry, can't get behind that reasoning at all...seems like a complete waste of a top5 pick.

Cole can score in several ways as well as play make.i like coles aggressiveness I’ve seen at UNC - we could use a confident scorer off the bench. Green is a great playmaker but he isn’t a scorer.

Name a top 5 pick that will solve the wing position? The draft doesn’t have to be the solution to our wing needs — can be done via trade or FA as well.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#76 » by clyde21 » Tue Dec 3, 2019 10:37 pm

cdubbz wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
cdubbz wrote:

Cole can score in several ways as well as play make.i like coles aggressiveness I’ve seen at UNC - we could use a confident scorer off the bench. Green is a great playmaker but he isn’t a scorer.

Name a top 5 pick that will solve the wing position? The draft doesn’t have to be the solution to our wing needs — can be done via trade or FA as well.

that why I said we trade down, grab a wing and pick up extra assets. I'd rather use that than spend a top5 pick on a back up PG. what's the logic there?
xdrta+
General Manager
And1: 7,239

Post#77 » by xdrta+ » Tue Dec 3, 2019 10:43 pm

No one is sold on Bowman as a backup PG?
cdubbz
RealGM

Post#78 » by cdubbz » Tue Dec 3, 2019 10:48 pm

clyde21 wrote:
cdubbz wrote:
clyde21 wrote:

that why I said we trade down, grab a wing and pick up extra assets. I'd rather use that than spend a top5 pick on a back up PG. what's the logic there?

He’s a stud. I see what you’re saying but I’d rather have a top 5 prospect on the team than a late lottery pick plus thrown in assets (depends on what) but in my scenario we got our bigs covered, guards covered and yes the major hole is SF but grabbing a FA SF won’t be difficult.
killmongrel
Veteran

Post#79 » by killmongrel » Tue Dec 3, 2019 10:52 pm

xdrta+ wrote:No one is sold on Bowman as a backup PG?

I like him a lot. I think the logic in wanting to draft a lottery pg prospect is that if we trade DLO, we would still have a possible elite pg just in case Steph cannot play, etc. As well as somebody who can take over in the future. Bowman as a backup pg is solid. Bowman as a 3rd string pg is great. Just depends on what the team decides to do with DLO. I understand the strategy of having somebody like Cole Anthony coming off the bench.

I just think it's hard to evaluate much right now since we have no idea what's going to happen from here and next summer.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#80 » by clyde21 » Wed Dec 4, 2019 12:19 am

cdubbz wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
cdubbz wrote:

He’s a stud. I see what you’re saying but I’d rather have a top 5 prospect on the team than a late lottery pick plus thrown in assets (depends on what) but in my scenario we got our bigs covered, guards covered and yes the major hole is SF but grabbing a FA SF won’t be difficult.

doesn't really matter how much of a stud he is if he's going to be relegated to the bench while we leave a monstrous hole in the middle of our lienup

Return to Golden State Warriors