TJ Warren

Moderators: pacers33granger, boomershadow, Grang33r, pacerfan, Jake0890

Wizop
RealGM
And1: 3,987

Re: TJ Warren 

Post#21 » by Wizop » Thu Nov 28, 2019 1:41 pm

At the Jazz game I started wondering why he had zero rebounds. The guards including Lamb had boards. He had zero. Is that scheme or a problem?

Sent from my phone.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
nzahir
RealGM
And1: 4,611

Post#22 » by nzahir » Tue Dec 3, 2019 6:41 am

As an outsider here, would you guys even consider a trade for Warren or likely not?

What do you guys want/who?
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,025

Post#23 » by Scoot McGroot » Tue Dec 3, 2019 2:21 pm

nzahir wrote:As an outsider here, would you guys even consider a trade for Warren or likely not?

I don’t necessarily see the possibility. Pritchard went all in on Warren when he was proposed to Indy , even at the cost of Bojan. The great play of Justin Holiday and need to get him on the court is really the only thing that even makes a trade possible. Ultimately, I doubt that management is looking to move him.

If Warren were moved, it’d likely have to be for a more pure guy at the 4 that can defend the big wings/mobile 4’s like the Giannis’ of the league, but still be a younger guy with shot range. Even then, it’s just not likely.
Assistant Coach
And1: 601

Post#24 » by 8305 » Tue Dec 3, 2019 9:49 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:
nzahir wrote:As an outsider here, would you guys even consider a trade for Warren or likely not?

I don’t necessarily see the possibility. Pritchard went all in on Warren when he was proposed to Indy , even at the cost of Bojan. The great play of Justin Holiday and need to get him on the court is really the only thing that even makes a trade possible. Ultimately, I doubt that management is looking to move him.

If Warren were moved, it’d likely have to be for a more pure guy at the 4 that can defend the big wings/mobile 4’s like the Giannis’ of the league, but still be a younger guy with shot range. Even then, it’s just not likely.

The more we see he appears to be an above average small forward. Looks like he is a better than advertised athlete who is a willing and effective defender. All that and he is under contract for another two years at a very reasonable cost of 11 mil/year. I think it would take a pretty extraordinary offer to get him away from Pacers.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#25 » by Scoot McGroot » Wed Dec 4, 2019 2:37 am

8305 wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:

The more we see he appears to be an above average small forward. Looks like he is a better than advertised athlete who is a willing and effective defender. All that and he is under contract for another two years at a very reasonable cost of 11 mil/year. I think it would take a pretty extraordinary offer to get him away from Pacers.

He’s, at times, been effective defensively, but more often than not he’s just been merely “not bad”. And that’s ok. He’s been willing as the season has gone on. He’s not a natural or smart defender, but he’s putting in some effort. I’ll give him that. It’s his ability to just score from the mid range that makes him effective. His 3 isn’t there, except from the corner, but he’s effective enough. He’s worth his contract for us, for sure. He’s worth keeping unless an offer just presents itself. I think the only thing that makes him even a consideration to move is just how wonderful Lamb, Justin Holiday, Doug, and evening Jakarr have been this year.
nzahir
RealGM

Post#26 » by nzahir » Wed Dec 4, 2019 2:41 am

Scoot McGroot wrote:
8305 wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:

He’s, at times, been effective defensively, but more often than not he’s just been merely “not bad”. And that’s ok. He’s been willing as the season has gone on. He’s not a natural or smart defender, but he’s putting in some effort. I’ll give him that. It’s his ability to just score from the mid range that makes him effective. His 3 isn’t there, except from the corner, but he’s effective enough. He’s worth his contract for us, for sure. He’s worth keeping unless an offer just presents itself. I think the only thing that makes him even a consideration to move is just how wonderful Lamb, Justin Holiday, Doug, and evening Jakarr have been this year.

Who/what do you guys need to be a legit contender in the east and try to make a finals push?
boomershadow
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,232

Post#27 » by boomershadow » Wed Dec 4, 2019 8:46 am

nzahir wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:
8305 wrote:

Who/what do you guys need to be a legit contender in the east and try to make a finals push?

Probably an elite 3 and d small forward that can guard 4s, like a Giannis/Butler/Hayward stopper.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#28 » by Scoot McGroot » Wed Dec 4, 2019 1:15 pm

nzahir wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:
8305 wrote:

We’ll be getting Vic Oladipo back, so that helps. Otherwise, we need the true unicorn in the NBA, a 3 and D elite stopper at the 3/4 that can neutralize Giannis. The same thing every team in the league wants and doesn’t really exist :lol:
Topofthekey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,883

Post#29 » by Topofthekey » Wed Dec 4, 2019 5:02 pm

nzahir wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:
8305 wrote:

Like what the other posters said, some kind of tweener 3/4

I'll also add that the Pacers could use a good consolidation trade, either a 2 for 1 or 3 for 2 kind

As it stands, once Oladipo is back, the Pacers have 11 players who all deserve to be in the rotation: Turner, Sabonis, Warren, Oladipo, Brogdon, McConnell, Lamb, Holiday, Holiday, McDermott, Bitadze

And that's not counting Jakal Sampson, TJ Leaf, and Edmond Sumner, who all deserve a shot at cracking the rotation - heck even Mitrou-Long performed well in his short stint being called up and deserves a look
nzahir
RealGM

Post#30 » by nzahir » Wed Dec 4, 2019 8:05 pm

Topofthekey wrote:
nzahir wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:

Like what the other posters said, some kind of tweener 3/4

I'll also add that the Pacers could use a good consolidation trade, either a 2 for 1 or 3 for 2 kind

As it stands, once Oladipo is back, the Pacers have 11 players who all deserve to be in the rotation: Turner, Sabonis, Warren, Oladipo, Brogdon, McConnell, Lamb, Holiday, Holiday, McDermott, Bitadze

And that's not counting Jakal Sampson, TJ Leaf, and Edmond Sumner, who all deserve a shot at cracking the rotation - heck even Mitrou-Long performed well in his short stint being called up and deserves a look

Would you guys have any interest in Kuzma?

I wonder if you guys should make a move for Griffin or LA to replace Myles as well.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#31 » by Wizop » Wed Dec 4, 2019 9:39 pm

nzahir wrote:Would you guys have any interest in Kuzma?

I wonder if you guys should make a move for Griffin or LA to replace Myles as well.

I don't think we're moving Myles period although LA would be an amazing short term help.

I do have some mild Kuzma interest but not at the cost of anyone currently getting regular minutes. If you want Sampson or Alize who have shorter contracts than Kuzma, I'd listen.
nzahir
RealGM

Post#32 » by nzahir » Wed Dec 4, 2019 9:55 pm

Wizop wrote:

I don't think we're moving Myles period although LA would be an amazing short term help.

I do have some mild Kuzma interest but not at the cost of anyone currently getting regular minutes. If you want Sampson or Alize who have shorter contracts than Kuzma, I'd listen.

Interest in moving your 1st, future 2nd and Sampson?
Wizop
RealGM

Post#33 » by Wizop » Wed Dec 4, 2019 10:30 pm

nzahir wrote:
Wizop wrote:

1st went to Milwaukee in Brogdon deal.

Sent from my phone.
nzahir
RealGM

Post#34 » by nzahir » Wed Dec 4, 2019 11:04 pm

Wizop wrote:
nzahir wrote:
Wizop wrote:

Sent from my phone.

Slipped my mind, a future top 12 protected first? Or not enough interest
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#35 » by Scoot McGroot » Thu Dec 5, 2019 12:43 am

nzahir wrote:
Wizop wrote:
nzahir wrote:Interest in moving your 1st, future 2nd and Sampson?

Sent from my phone.

Slipped my mind, a future top 12 protected first? Or not enough interest

I really don’t. To me that’s where we just play Warren at the 4 and live with the equal bad defense and save some assets. As it is Sampson is the closest thing to the wing defender we have, so kind of makes it doubly worse for us.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#36 » by Wizop » Thu Dec 5, 2019 4:44 am

Warren has been a great acquisition but I really like Lamb and Brogdon is better still. And JHoliday and TJM fit. Even if Vic starts on a pitch count, there is going to be real competition for minutes.

Sent from my phone.
basketballwacko2
RealGM
And1: 3,911

Post#37 » by basketballwacko2 » Thu Dec 5, 2019 1:58 pm

nzahir wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:
8305 wrote:

Victor Oladipo!!
Tom White
Sixth Man
And1: 926

Post#38 » by Tom White » Thu Dec 5, 2019 4:42 pm

Wizop wrote:Warren has been a great acquisition but I really like Lamb and Brogdon is better still. And JHoliday and TJM fit. Even if Vic starts on a pitch count, there is going to be real competition for minutes.

Sent from my phone.

I think all the new guys are making good contributions. With Lamb...his shot just looks so effortless and smooth. I am actually surprised when he misses one.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#39 » by Scoot McGroot » Thu Dec 5, 2019 7:04 pm

Wizop wrote:Warren has been a great acquisition but I really like Lamb and Brogdon is better still. And JHoliday and TJM fit. Even if Vic starts on a pitch count, there is going to be real competition for minutes.

Sent from my phone.

Agreed. I might be the “harshest” on Warren around here (though I think I’m just being realistic), he has been better than I expected and has been an overall positive. The 3 pt shot has been coming back over the last two weeks, defense has been at least present, and even at times good! He’s helped a lot, but to me, a Justin Holiday has been a bigger impact on winning, if you know what I mean? Not that Warren is bad, just, his help is more a little each quarter and sometimes isn’t even noticeable like last night (seriously, I missed how he had over 20 pts, it just kind of crept up on me), but I saw Holiday make wining plays throughout.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#40 » by Wizop » Thu Dec 5, 2019 7:38 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:Agreed. I might be the “harshest” on Warren around here (though I think I’m just being realistic), he has been better than I expected and has been an overall positive.

That's where I am too. I had low expectations given the Suns just dumped him to get cap space and at first I was unimpressed with the fundamentals of his shot, but in the pregame interviews in Memphis Lamb called him a beast saying he can score at all three levels and it's hard to disagree. he's certainly figured out that we expect defense and even his rebounding is improving.

my expectations on Lamb were a bit higher as I remembered his college game, but he's exceeded too. and I absolutely agree that JHoliday playing the four has worked beyond our dreams.

Return to Indiana Pacers