ImageImageImage

Marcus Smart, aka the "Cobra" – Celtics de facto Captain?

Moderators: bisme37, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob

Feed Your Head
RealGM
And1: 69,465

Re: Marcus Smart, aka the "Cobra" – Celtics de facto Captain? 

Post#121 » by Feed Your Head » Mon Dec 9, 2019 11:32 pm

Mamba4Goat wrote:I didn't wanna make a new thread but I have a curious question. How fo you guys think Marcus would look as a team's primary ball handler in a sorta Rubio type role?

Surround him with good shooters at the 2/3/4 and give him a rim running five, and he'd be damn good.
Mamba4Goat
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 7,932

Post#122 » by Mamba4Goat » Mon Dec 9, 2019 11:51 pm

The Comedian wrote:
Mamba4Goat wrote:I didn't wanna make a new thread but I have a curious question. How fo you guys think Marcus would look as a team's primary ball handler in a sorta Rubio type role?

Surround him with good shooters at the 2/3/4 and give him a rim running five, and he'd be damn good.

What do you think his numbers would look like?
Rest in peace Mamba. There'll never be another Kobe.
Feed Your Head
RealGM

Post#123 » by Feed Your Head » Mon Dec 9, 2019 11:57 pm

Mamba4Goat wrote:
The Comedian wrote:

14/4/8 on 42/35/80ish splits. Plus his ability to single handedly blow up opponents offensive schemes. I was perfectly fine with the team going into the season with Smart/Jaylen/Tatum at the 1/2/3.

Obviously more than happy that they signed Kemba though.
Mamba4Goat
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#124 » by Mamba4Goat » Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:06 am

The Comedian wrote:
Mamba4Goat wrote:
The Comedian wrote:

14/4/8 on 42/35/80ish splits. Plus his ability to single handedly blow up opponents offensive schemes. I was perfectly fine with the team going into the season with Smart/Jaylen/Tatum at the 1/2/3.

Obviously more than happy that they signed Kemba though.

Sounds about right. I'm pretty high on Smart and I think it would be fun to see him unleashed as the main guy or 2nd/3rd banana on a team rather than 5th banana on Boston but he's such a great fit.
Homerclease
RealGM
And1: 31,217

Post#125 » by Homerclease » Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:39 am

Mamba4Goat wrote:
The Comedian wrote:

Here’s the thing with Smart and I can’t stress this enough. He’s the ultimate numbers don’t matter guy. The man could have a 2/3/2 stat line and be one of the best players on the court.
Mamba4Goat
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#126 » by Mamba4Goat » Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:44 am

Homerclease wrote:
Mamba4Goat wrote:
The Comedian wrote:

Here’s the thing with Smart and I can’t stress this enough. He’s the ultimate numbers don’t matter guy. The man could have a 2/3/2 stat line and be one of the best players on the court.

Oh trust me, I know. I was more so curious of assists/TO's and PPG if he was a larger feature in an offense.
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 87,882

Post#127 » by zoyathedestroya » Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:21 am

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,529

Post#128 » by Fencer reregistered » Sat Jan 25, 2020 12:44 am

That video features passes mainly to Hayward, Kanter and Tatum. I guess they're the guys who cut and keep their eyes open. :)

Edit: Actually, there's more diversity than I thought -- a couple to Time Lord, and at least one each to Theis, Brown and Green.
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
Jaqua92
RealGM
And1: 7,384

Post#129 » by Jaqua92 » Sat Jan 25, 2020 3:12 am

Homerclease wrote:
Mamba4Goat wrote:
The Comedian wrote:

Leave it to homerclease with the most homer comment of all time lol 2/3/2 or whatever and one of best players on the court is just about the most ridiculous things I have ever heard. I can't even imagine rationalizing that loln

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Feed Your Head
RealGM

Re: Marcus Smart, aka the 

Post#130 » by Feed Your Head » Sat Jan 25, 2020 3:15 am

Jaqua92 wrote:
Homerclease wrote:
Mamba4Goat wrote:

Leave it to homerclease with the most homer comment of all time lol 2/3/2 or whatever and one of best players on the court is just about the most ridiculous things I have ever heard. I can't even imagine rationalizing that loln

Your Smart thing is getting pretty ridiculous. Now your quoting months old posts, there's a reason you're one of two or three people arguing against everyone else. Defense is literally half of the game btw, so yes he could have 2/3/2 and have a monster impact on a game.
Jaqua92
RealGM
And1: 7,384

Post#131 » by Jaqua92 » Sat Jan 25, 2020 3:25 am

The Comedian wrote:
Jaqua92 wrote:
Homerclease wrote:Here’s the thing with Smart and I can’t stress this enough. He’s the ultimate numbers don’t matter guy. The man could have a 2/3/2 stat line and be one of the best players on the court.

Your Smart thing is getting pretty ridiculous. Now your quoting months old posts, there's a reason you're one of two or three people arguing against everyone else. Defense is literally half of the game btw, so yes he could have 2/3/2 and have a monster impact on a game.
Months? Hmm, didn't even see the date. That's fine though. And 2/3/2 as one of the best players on the floor is still one of the most ridiculous things I have heard, as is the homerism.

Mamba4Goat
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#132 » by Mamba4Goat » Sat Jan 25, 2020 3:28 am

Jaqua92 wrote:
The Comedian wrote:
Jaqua92 wrote:Leave it to homerclease with the most homer comment of all time lol 2/3/2 or whatever and one of best players on the court is just about the most ridiculous things I have ever heard. I can't even imagine rationalizing that loln

Months? Hmm, didn't even see the date. That's fine though. And 2/3/2 as one of the best players on the floor is still one of the most ridiculous things I have heard, as is the homerism.

Did Smart hurt you or something?
sarcasma
Junior
And1: 249

Post#133 » by sarcasma » Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:14 am

I think Smart is the most overrated Celtics since Antoine Walker. 8 bricked shots, then one hustle play...it doesnt even out. Smart is the Celtic that should be traded, not Hayward.
Homerclease
RealGM
And1: 31,217

Post#134 » by Homerclease » Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:53 am

Jaqua92 wrote:
The Comedian wrote:
Jaqua92 wrote:Leave it to homerclease with the most homer comment of all time lol 2/3/2 or whatever and one of best players on the court is just about the most ridiculous things I have ever heard. I can't even imagine rationalizing that loln

Celtics won three straight. What are you doing here?
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 87,882

Post#135 » by zoyathedestroya » Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:51 am

One of the most unique players in the league.

Read on Twitter
ANGT4T
Ballboy
And1: 47

Post#136 » by ANGT4T » Sat Jan 25, 2020 1:51 pm

Thoughts on Smart starting at the 2 and bumping JB to the bench? I think the team could benefit from Smart's energy out of the gate and JB could feast on 2nd units.

As is Smart should be in the thick of 6th man of the year discussion and if he can creep his 3pp closer to 38-40 (he can with slightly improved shot selection) he's just too good to not be starting.

Alternatively Hayward could slot in to the bench role.
sam_I_am
RealGM
And1: 8,951

Post#137 » by sam_I_am » Sat Jan 25, 2020 1:56 pm

Smart has been solid and a true leader. He is turning into the type of player Derek Fisher was for Laker dynasty - a dependable 5th best player who rises up in clutch situations when the team needs leadership. Just don’t ask him to do too much.
Feed Your Head
RealGM

Post#138 » by Feed Your Head » Sat Jan 25, 2020 2:01 pm

ANGT4T wrote:Thoughts on Smart starting at the 2 and bumping JB to the bench? I think the team could benefit from Smart's energy out of the gate and JB could feast on 2nd units.

As is Smart should be in the thick of 6th man of the year discussion and if he can creep his 3pp closer to 38-40 (he can with slightly improved shot selection) he's just too good to not be starting.

Alternatively Hayward could slot in to the bench role.

I'm one of the most vocal Smart fans there are, but Jaylen is already feasting on opposing defenses as a 3rd/4th option. Smart brings playmaking off the bench for now, but I am guessing he will be our starting 2 when Hayward opts out, if he doesn't stay. I'm also guessing he will be our starting PG in three years.
Dannyboy36
Sixth Man
And1: 850

Post#139 » by Dannyboy36 » Sat Jan 25, 2020 2:09 pm

sarcasma wrote:I think Smart is the most overrated Celtics since Antoine Walker. 8 bricked shots, then one hustle play...it doesnt even out. Smart is the Celtic that should be traded, not Hayward.

I agree that he’s overrated and his value to us is also a bit overrated. Do we need him? Yes. He’s a great 6 man. Plays good d and I trust him a whole lot more these past couple years but if people are talking all in for this year, it’s him not Hayward that should be looked into trading.
I’m not into trading either though.
KGtabake
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,463

Post#140 » by KGtabake » Sat Jan 25, 2020 3:01 pm

sarcasma wrote:I think Smart is the most overrated Celtics since Antoine Walker. 8 bricked shots, then one hustle play...it doesnt even out. Smart is the Celtic that should be traded, not Hayward.

This team without Smart will lose its identity.
Guys like him or Baynes are not always pleasant to watch and have some really bad games.
But if you consider what they bring(leadership, veteranship, team chemistry, hustle, work ethics) to the table they should be the last ones to trade.
We've lost Baynes(and i think his abscence is obvious in games vs Bucks/Sixers).
Smart should be a Celtic for years especially if you consider his contract.
Messi. Jordan. Ali. Bolt. Senna. Serena. Karelin. Phelps. Rossi. Suleymanoglou. The GOATs.

Return to Boston Celtics