Deni Avdija - 2020 draft

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Re: Deni Avdija - 2020 draft 

Post#21 » by No-Man » Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:15 pm

Gallo was a fine defender before he lost all his mobility, now he very much sucks
SwipeDaFox
Ballboy
And1: 71

Post#22 » by SwipeDaFox » Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:12 pm

He was pretty good defensively last year by most metrics iirc.
Chanel Bomber
RealGM
And1: 37,256

Post#23 » by Chanel Bomber » Wed Jul 24, 2019 12:23 am

Eskobar13 wrote:
Illmatic12 wrote:Avdija can’t score or shoot like Gallo. But should be a much better defensive player

For the upcoming season at Maccabi he will need to prove that his shooting is legit, that’s the primary offensive skillset the NBA will want to see from him.

Ok just found out Gallo was Italian league mvp at 19 :o His stats were pretty good in Euroleague too, damn, I had no idea. Makes much more sense than he went 6 in such a draft now, I always thought that was too high.

Gallinari was an incredible prospect, his career was just ruined by injuries ever since he played in the 2008 Summer League.

Second best Euro prospect after Luka in the last 15 years imo.
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 28,602

Post#24 » by UcanUwill » Wed Jul 24, 2019 2:02 pm

Chanel Bomber wrote:
Eskobar13 wrote:
Illmatic12 wrote:Avdija can’t score or shoot like Gallo. But should be a much better defensive player

For the upcoming season at Maccabi he will need to prove that his shooting is legit, that’s the primary offensive skillset the NBA will want to see from him.

Ok just found out Gallo was Italian league mvp at 19 :o His stats were pretty good in Euroleague too, damn, I had no idea. Makes much more sense than he went 6 in such a draft now, I always thought that was too high.

Gallinari was an incredible prospect, his career was just ruined by injuries ever since he played in the 2008 Summer League.

Second best Euro prospect after Luka in the last 15 years imo.

I loved Gallo in Milan, I think Rubio was clear number 2 if we are talking about pure prospect, but Gallo is up there with Valanciunas, Kanter and Saric. But I am talking about mainstream point of view, obviously we had few underdogs that came out of complete obscurity and surpassed everyone - Giannis and Jokic.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,468

Post#25 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:00 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
SwipeDaFox
Ballboy

Post#26 » by SwipeDaFox » Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:27 pm

While in the Euroleague he hardly gets any regular minutes, in the Israeli League you can see more and more of how he is developing as he gets around 23 MPG and a consistent role in the rotation.

Granted he still doesn't get the opportunity to run the offense and handle the ball as much as he should - but you see some great flashes while playing against grown men.

His athletic ability really stands out lately on and off the ball, especially when he brings the ball up in the open court after a rebound - and his first step looks much much improved as well as his vert jump.

In 23 MPG he is averaging 9 pts / 6 rebs / 2 ast / 1.5 blk / 1 stl off the bench on 62.5% from 2 and 38% from 3 - as his role slowly but surely gets bigger and bigger.

FT% still bothers me though - only 44% so far.

Last night he had a great all around game with 14 pts, 7 rebs, 3 ast, 3 blk and 1 stl.

Some other highlights from games

Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,482

Post#27 » by Duke4life831 » Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:42 pm

So what is this dude's biggest flaws? He seems to move very well for a 6'9 guy. Seemed pretty quick and very fluid in his movements.
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 5,172

Post#28 » by Marcus » Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:51 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:So what is this dude's biggest flaws? He seems to move very well for a 6'9 guy. Seemed pretty quick and very fluid in his movements.

that's what I've been trying to figure out too. from the sounds of it he's just falling victim to the general negatives that get applied to international kids
Watch More Basketball

Sometimes silence is the best thing you can contribute to a conversation

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#29 » by Duke4life831 » Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:15 pm

Marcus wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:So what is this dude's biggest flaws? He seems to move very well for a 6'9 guy. Seemed pretty quick and very fluid in his movements.

that's what I've been trying to figure out too. from the sounds of it he's just falling victim to the general negatives that get applied to international kids

Ya from the highlights, he looks plenty quick and agile for being a legit 6'8. The form on the shot looks fantastic. But I can't tell if he's just a quicker Saric, or does he have a more versatile game than that.

The highlights look great. But I know that doesn't mean much.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,225

Post#30 » by doordoor123 » Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:17 pm

Reminds me of what happened to Kristaps Porzingis. Didn’t get many minutes in Europe, but everyone knew he was really good. Still he dropped in draft projections. When teams are able to bring him in for workouts he’s going to shoot up the board again. Honestly this is such a weak class I could easily see him going top 3.
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#31 » by Marcus » Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:18 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:
Marcus wrote:

Ya from the highlights, he looks plenty quick and agile for being a legit 6'8. The form on the shot looks fantastic. But I can't tell if he's just a quicker Saric, or does he have a more versatile game than that.

The highlights look great. But I know that doesn't mean much.

Only thing that I've seen as a problem is he's getting Luka comps and that should probably change with the ridiculousness Luka is playing with right now. Other than that i haven't seen anything to make me feel like the kid can't play at this level.
Watch More Basketball

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#32 » by Marcus » Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:20 pm

doordoor123 wrote:Reminds me of what happened to Kristaps Porzingis. Didn’t get many minutes in Europe, but everyone knew he was really good. Still he dropped in draft projections. When teams are able to bring him in for workouts he’s going to shoot up the board again. Honestly this is such a weak class I could easily see him going top 3.

yeah was thinking that too. But i was wondering if him being on the radar to begin with was more how Bender got put on the radar after KP lit up his rookie year.
Watch More Basketball

Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#33 » by Duke4life831 » Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:30 pm

Marcus wrote:
doordoor123 wrote:Reminds me of what happened to Kristaps Porzingis. Didn’t get many minutes in Europe, but everyone knew he was really good. Still he dropped in draft projections. When teams are able to bring him in for workouts he’s going to shoot up the board again. Honestly this is such a weak class I could easily see him going top 3.

yeah was thinking that too. But i was wondering if him being on the radar to begin with was more how Bender got put on the radar after KP lit up his rookie year.

This is what makes me hesitant. Because I remember the Bender hype.

I'm really curious what his game is like. Is he another guy like Luka who can essentially be your PG (obviously not on the same level)? Or is he more kind of just a jack of all trades, master of none like a Saric?

From the quick highlights, looks like a dude with great form on his jumper, moves very well for his size with solid lift and seems to be a good playmaker as well. Just hard to really get a grasp for play style from these short highlights.
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#34 » by No-Man » Wed Dec 11, 2019 12:01 am

Porzingis was always projected high and played 22minpg in ACB, you got it completely wrong
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,184

Post#35 » by clyde21 » Wed Dec 11, 2019 12:23 am

Duke4life831 wrote:
Marcus wrote:

I'm really curious what his game is like. Is he another guy like Luka who can essentially be your PG (obviously not on the same level)? Or is he more kind of just a jack of all trades, master of none like a Saric?

From the quick highlights, looks like a dude with great form on his jumper, moves very well for his size with solid lift and seems to be a good playmaker as well. Just hard to really get a grasp for play style from these short highlights.

a lot closer to Saric than Luka

i'd compare him to neither tho, i see more of Dzanan Musa, with maybe a better physical profile.
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#36 » by Marcus » Wed Dec 11, 2019 12:38 am

clyde21 wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:
Marcus wrote:

i'd compare him to neither tho, i see more of Dzanan Musa, with maybe a better physical profile.

in this draft would you consider that a top ten guy?
Watch More Basketball

clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,184

Post#37 » by clyde21 » Wed Dec 11, 2019 12:40 am

Marcus wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:

i think you can make a case for Deni top10 yea
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#38 » by Marcus » Wed Dec 11, 2019 12:45 am

clyde21 wrote:
Marcus wrote:
clyde21 wrote:

i think you can make a case for Deni top10 yea

I'd love to find a few full games to get a better feel for the kid but strength and weaknesses tape that I've seen looks like fixable flaws and the pluses are super translatable with today's NBA but i see the kid bounce all-around draft boards and i can't understand why. So while i'm not seeing a star or franchise type talent I do see a more than serviceable NBAer that can give you good minutes for a pretty long career.
Watch More Basketball

doordoor123
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,225

Post#39 » by doordoor123 » Wed Dec 11, 2019 12:54 am

Fischella wrote:

Porzingis was always projected high and played 22minpg in ACB, you got it completely wrong

That’s not true, the first year Porzingis was eligible he was projected 17 to the Thunder and wasn’t getting a lot of minutes. Then when he started to work out for teams after coming to the US he was starting to rise before he pulled out to join the next year. Then that year he had more opportunity. 13-14 year, not 14-15.
SwipeDaFox
Ballboy

Post#40 » by SwipeDaFox » Wed Dec 11, 2019 5:13 pm

I don't think there is a big glaring weakness.

Consistency as a shooter first and foremost (He has no mid-range game whatsoever), finishing through contact at the rim, tightening up his handle, using his off hand and generally going to his left (Can already see that in flashes this year).

If everything clicks for him I think he is a secondary ball-handler with really great playmaking ability from pretty much all levels of the game (PNR, open court, post) - who's scoring ability is a little more limited in volume but also pretty versatile (off the dribble 3, catch and shoot, open court where he is an absolute TERROR when he grabs a defensive rebound, post ups on smaller matchups, and generally moving off the ball on offense and keeping the offensive flow) - and can more than hold his own defensively especially on the interior as a help defender where his shotblocking and size are easily felt and can function as a 4, but also on the perimeter cause I think people really sleep on his athletic ability.

I think he will definitely be a role player in the league - I don't see a franchise player - but I think the chances of him being a premium role player is not bad.
Like a really really good 3rd best player on the team.

The thing with him is he is a very hard worker, and he was built for this since a very young age. He is very self driven and you can see he loves the game - those type of things can go both ways though as you could see in the U-20 that he would often be very animated with his emotions or when he was displeased - but you also had him staying 3 hours after a game shooting free throws with his personal trainer(He's with him since he's 14) because he was displeased with his FT shooting.

I think a lot will depend on the team he ends up with, and what's expected of him early. He is not an immediate impact guy, but on the right role he can contribute right away and the potential to mold him into a great all around contributor at a high level is good.

My dream scenario is for him to fall to the Spurs.

Return to NBA Draft