NBA Floats $1M Per Player Bonus For Winning Team Of Midseason Tournament

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 292

NBA Floats $1M Per Player Bonus For Winning Team Of Midseason Tournament 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Fri Dec 20, 2019 9:01 pm

The NBA is discussing a $1 million per player bonus for the winners of the proposed 30-team, in-season tournament.

The NBA is considering adding the tournament to the schedule for the 21-22 season.

There has been skepticism privately and publicly on whether players and teams will be incentivized to take the tournament seriously.

Via Adrian Wojnarowski/ESPN

Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 24,868

Re: NBA Floats $1M Per Player Bonus For Winning Team Of Midseason Tournament 

Post#2 » by Jeff Van Gully » Fri Dec 20, 2019 9:11 pm

THERE it is!
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
RickB-Orlando
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,336

Post#3 » by RickB-Orlando » Fri Dec 20, 2019 9:57 pm

I'm willing to bet the NBAPA says it's not enough.
TheCage4
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 516

Post#4 » by TheCage4 » Fri Dec 20, 2019 9:59 pm

No one wants this! Not players. Not fans. Give it up.
“And where once you had the freedom to object, to think and speak as you saw fit, you now have censors and systems of surveillance coercing your conformity and soliciting your submission.” -Alan Moore
Dave_From_NB
Starter
And1: 1,535

Post#5 » by Dave_From_NB » Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:48 pm

Ok, that's how you make a few of the players care. Now all you have to do is to get the fans to care.
pjiggz
Junior
And1: 25

Post#6 » by pjiggz » Fri Dec 20, 2019 11:01 pm

I'm all for it. Id prefer the stars didn't participate but instead watch their teammates who don't get any or enough minutes in regular season games to showcase their talent.
It would be a great way to find a diamond in the rough. It would be a step above the G league since these players are already NBA ready. I would obviously only watch my team though.
xchange55
Senior
And1: 487

Post#7 » by xchange55 » Fri Dec 20, 2019 11:11 pm

I think Silver is getting desperate for new revenue streams with the China fallout.

He is trying to copy the Champions League model in European football/soccer. The issue is that tournament consists of the top teams across several professional leagues and maybe some 125-200 teams - and features match ups that otherwise would not be possible in competitive play (think Barcelona vs Liverpool or Bayern Munich vs Real Madrid). In the NBA, the same teams play each other all the time - and at worst you play the opposite conference 2 times EVERY year.

The Champions League trophy is actually more prestigious than winning your own league - as you are battling against the best of the best. The NBA in-season tournament comes nothing close to Champions League in any respect. I think the players will go for it only if it does generate more income - but I see that as very unlikely without fan support.

Also note that most pro European soccer leagues play their domestic league games during the weekend. And if they qualify for the Champions League or lower tier Europa League, those are played mid-week on TUE/WED/THU. In this case your team actually plays more games which is a direct impact to your revenue stream. Again another area where the NBA falls completely short.
DCRYsing89
Starter
And1: 718

Post#8 » by DCRYsing89 » Fri Dec 20, 2019 11:45 pm

xchange55 wrote:I think Silver is getting desperate for new revenue streams with the China fallout.

He is trying to copy the Champions League model in European football/soccer. The issue is that tournament consists of the top teams across several professional leagues and maybe some 125-200 teams - and features match ups that otherwise would not be possible in competitive play (think Barcelona vs Liverpool or Bayern Munich vs Real Madrid). In the NBA, the same teams play each other all the time - and at worst you play the opposite conference 2 times EVERY year.

The Champions League trophy is actually more prestigious than winning your own league - as you are battling against the best of the best. The NBA in-season tournament comes nothing close to Champions League in any respect. I think the players will go for it only if it does generate more income - but I see that as very unlikely without fan support.

Also note that most pro European soccer leagues play their domestic league games during the weekend. And if they qualify for the Champions League or lower tier Europa League, those are played mid-week on TUE/WED/THU. In this case your team actually plays more games which is a direct impact to your revenue stream. Again another area where the NBA falls completely short.

I think it’s meant to be more like the FA cup to be fair..
After your first, you change, you mature, you dont just jump into things.

After getting dunked on for the first time, life becomes complex.
Chi Dynasty12
Analyst
And1: 140

Post#9 » by Chi Dynasty12 » Sat Dec 21, 2019 12:04 am

So dumb, who even wants a midseason tourney? Especially if they're playing just for money.. you think LeBron cares about $1mil? Before income tax at that.
Chicago Bears 2025 Super Bowl Champions
Pickled Prunes
Head Coach
And1: 1,204

Post#10 » by Pickled Prunes » Sat Dec 21, 2019 12:26 am

How about a $1000 fan bonus for pretending to care!
ktzdaman
Ballboy
And1: 3

Post#11 » by ktzdaman » Sat Dec 21, 2019 12:26 am

If it can be gambled on then it will happen.
RipCityKJ
Senior
And1: 205

Post#12 » by RipCityKJ » Sat Dec 21, 2019 12:44 am

pjiggz wrote:I'm all for it. Id prefer the stars didn't participate but instead watch their teammates who don't get any or enough minutes in regular season games to showcase their talent.
It would be a great way to find a diamond in the rough. It would be a step above the G league since these players are already NBA ready. I would obviously only watch my team though.

That’s what summer league and training camp are for. If you’re good enough you’ll play.
HeatFanLifer
General Manager
And1: 39,855

Post#13 » by HeatFanLifer » Sat Dec 21, 2019 2:18 am

Give teams a break in the luxury tax too. If the luxury tax is 120 mil per team, let the threshold for winner be 150 mil. Give out breaks for 2-8th place as well.

That would really shake things up.
OP for NBA FT record
alienpick
Starter
And1: 617

Post#14 » by alienpick » Sat Dec 21, 2019 2:46 am

Ok Silver, you sound dead set on this, so how about this;

Winning team gets to force a trade. Just like 2K. Salaries and everything have to match within the rules but the opposing GM has to take the deal.

Do you got the balls Silver? You want to make this stupid idea of yours interesting? Let’s go. Let’s make it interesting.
Badbobby
Sophomore
And1: 187

Post#15 » by Badbobby » Sat Dec 21, 2019 2:50 am

I’m def in the minority but I think this sounds cool. Nothing like a chance to win a bit of silverware. Everyone thinks is stupid now but if it begins it’ll probably he hotly contested in 10-15 years
jason bourne
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,602

Post#16 » by jason bourne » Sat Dec 21, 2019 3:29 am

Most of the fans, most of the superstar players, and Kawhi will be taking load management. I can't get up for this.
“The most contrarian thing of all is not to oppose the crowd but to think for yourself.” Peter Thiel

ImageImage
jayrehme
Sixth Man
And1: 508

Post#17 » by jayrehme » Sat Dec 21, 2019 4:52 am

Why would anyone be against this? It breaks up the motononus 82 game and adds a little excitement in the middle.... thi makes it worthwhile for players.... now fans?... salary cap relief?
J-Mezzy
RealGM
And1: 3,214

Post#18 » by J-Mezzy » Sat Dec 21, 2019 11:08 am

ktzdaman wrote:If it can be gambled on then it will happen.

Bingo

I think the idea behind a tournament is to generate interest from gambling...which it absolutely would
Thank you triplemke23 for the sig.
alienpick
Starter

Post#19 » by alienpick » Sat Dec 21, 2019 6:14 pm

Badbobby wrote:I’m def in the minority but I think this sounds cool. Nothing like a chance to win a bit of silverware. Everyone thinks is stupid now but if it begins it’ll probably he hotly contested in 10-15 years

It will become what the Allstar game has become, a joke. No motivation leads to no interest
alienpick
Starter

Post#20 » by alienpick » Sat Dec 21, 2019 6:16 pm

jayrehme wrote:Why would anyone be against this? It breaks up the motononus 82 game and adds a little excitement in the middle.... thi makes it worthwhile for players.... now fans?... salary cap relief?

I’m sure they said the same thing about the Allstar game back in the day.

Return to Wiretap Discussion