NBA Proposes 78-Game Regular Season Starting In 2021-22

Moderators: Domejandro, bwgood77

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 291

NBA Proposes 78-Game Regular Season Starting In 2021-22  

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Sat Dec 21, 2019 4:26 am

The NBA sent out a proposal to teams featuring potential changes for the 2021-22 season, including a 78-game schedule, league sources told Shams Charania of The Athletic.

Other proposed changes include an in-season tournament featuring a $1 million player bonus, a play-in tournament for the 7-8th seeds, and a reseeding of the final 4 of the playoffs based on regular-season record.

Charania added that the in-season tournament would feature all 30 teams and include the following: 4 home and away divisional games for the group stage, with 6 divisional stage winners and 2 wildcards moving onto the knockout stage.

The quarterfinals would then be played at home, with the semifinals and finals played at a neutral setting. 

Via Shams Charania/The Athletic

RipCityKJ
Senior
And1: 203

Re: NBA Proposes 78-Game Regular Season Starting In 2021-22 

Post#2 » by RipCityKJ » Sat Dec 21, 2019 4:42 am

Wow they want the championship game for their stupid tournament to be on neutral ground making the fans of the teams that make it to the end have to travel to see millionaire win a bonus. Smh this is so stupid!
Winsome Gerbil
RealGM
And1: 13,086

Post#3 » by Winsome Gerbil » Sat Dec 21, 2019 4:52 am

So wait...a 78 game regular season, but with all the tournaments and playins, even more games than now, right?

Maybe they should fix the rules/balance first.
dautjazz
RealGM
And1: 9,558

Post#4 » by dautjazz » Sat Dec 21, 2019 5:46 am

I've been losing tons of interest in the NBA since Silver, and this would probably be the last straw. So let me get this right, they've been talking about reducing games, and they want to had 7 more games (78+11 game tournament= 89 games). Would these stats could as playoffs, or their own category? Sounds to me like this would encourage a lot more load management. Just leave the damn 82 game season as is, if anything stretch the season out a few weeks to eliminate back to backs.
NickAnderson wrote:
How old are you, just curious.

by gomeziee on 21 Jul 2013 00:53

im 20, and i did grow up watching MJ play in the 90's.
Cookin Baskets
Sixth Man
And1: 265

Post#5 » by Cookin Baskets » Sat Dec 21, 2019 5:55 am

How does this help with load management when in reality they are adding more games with the tournament. Real smart nba, so they think they could trick us with this bull of reducing the season only to add more games sneakily like that. They're not regular games because it's a tournament (which has games) and that's giving the players a break from their long season. Yea,No. :banghead:
I don't think I Trust The Process anymore! :banghead:
We are the originals! We are the Philadelphia 76ers!
dzumaal
Junior
And1: 324

Post#6 » by dzumaal » Sat Dec 21, 2019 7:05 am

The tournament is probably included in the 78 games right?

Just bring back 90's rules and forget this stupid stuff :banghead:
FreeBoosie
Senior
And1: 119

Post#7 » by FreeBoosie » Sat Dec 21, 2019 12:11 pm

There have been a lot of examples of once successful people, corporations and countries having succumbed by greed and once the ultra greedy capitalist money man got involved. Right before our eyes the same is slowly happening to the NBA with this trend of putting profits over everything.
ImOnFire
Freshman
And1: 14

Post#8 » by ImOnFire » Sat Dec 21, 2019 12:16 pm

I think i read where the first round(s?) of the tournament will be regular season games with only a 8 team, single elim tournament for the rest. So the winner would have 82 games still.
PrimzyBulls81
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,226

Post#9 » by PrimzyBulls81 » Sat Dec 21, 2019 1:28 pm

SILVER YOU FREAKING DUMBASS
Lateral Quicks
RealGM
And1: 16,359

Post#10 » by Lateral Quicks » Sat Dec 21, 2019 1:43 pm

Don't mess with a good thing. Just because ratings are down doesn't mean a change needs to be made. Ratings don't have to go up every year.
Nick Nurse recounting his first meeting with Kawhi:
“We could have gone forever. (Raptors management) kept knocking on the door and I was like, ‘A couple more minutes.’ Because we were really into it."
swenjj
Senior
And1: 25

Post#11 » by swenjj » Sat Dec 21, 2019 2:38 pm

I haven't seen one single fan in favor of this. Even bad ideas usually have some fans if it. This is crazy. And even just dropping the game totals,you can drop it to 56 games and certain players will still rest. It's just a new generation.
cantera
Ballboy
And1: 3

Post#12 » by cantera » Sat Dec 21, 2019 3:55 pm

In my opinion there are just too many games to care about the regular season. For example, right now the playoff teams are essentially determined give or take an injury or swap of teams at the bottom. Now we just wait for four months hoping teams get or stay healthy while they play games that have little meaning beyond stats.

Only dropping it to 59 games or fewer would have a meaningful impact on the interest value of a regular season game.
Yosemite Dan
RealGM
And1: 7,893

Post#13 » by Yosemite Dan » Sat Dec 21, 2019 4:16 pm

Why would any fan care that thier team wins this in season tourney? The players are the ones to get the bonus and all it would mean is the last handful of teams remaining would be playing more games than anyone else and be at a disadvantage for the real playoffs. And if a star play gets injured playing this tourney then it makes it even worse. What would happen is teams will play half assed like it’s an all star game making it even more pointless. Coaches don’t want players hurt so you get a problem with trying to protect thier star players by limiting minutes and some lesser players pissed off that that its jeopardizing thier chance for a nice payday.

And 1 million means a lot more to the scrubs than a guy making max money so basically it would the benches playing major minutes so starters can rest. So a tourney of scrubs vs scrubs. Hardly engaging for anyone. This would be the dumbest idea in the history of the league.
amcoolio
Hornets Forum John Hancock
And1: 9,201

Post#14 » by amcoolio » Sat Dec 21, 2019 7:19 pm

Yosemite Dan wrote:Why would any fan care that thier team wins this in season tourney? The players are the ones to get the bonus and all it would mean is the last handful of teams remaining would be playing more games than anyone else and be at a disadvantage for the real playoffs. And if a star play gets injured playing this tourney then it makes it even worse. What would happen is teams will play half assed like it’s an all star game making it even more pointless. Coaches don’t want players hurt so you get a problem with trying to protect thier star players by limiting minutes and some lesser players pissed off that that its jeopardizing thier chance for a nice payday.

And 1 million means a lot more to the scrubs than a guy making max money so basically it would the benches playing major minutes so starters can rest. So a tourney of scrubs vs scrubs. Hardly engaging for anyone. This would be the dumbest idea in the history of the league.

They would almost assuredly count towards final W/L records so its better than playing meaningless games in late November/mid December which is what they do anyway
I don't support domestic violence. Thanks Miles
jason bourne
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,602

Post#15 » by jason bourne » Sat Dec 21, 2019 7:38 pm

This isn't a good idea. As a fan, I would have been following what is now considered a soap opera for the regular season. The mid-season tournament would not follow that and disrupt what has been happening. I think it would add something else and would be an interruption. Maybe top teams would rest their star players because winning the tournament doesn't mean much. I'm not sure what Silver would do, but he could add something to it so it would influence the playoffs. I wouldn't like that. At this point, I'm not going to watch it.

The "mid-way" point is for the All-Star game where the top players get recognition and are able to have some fun. It also promotes fan and player interaction and casual fans can get to see the top players more up close and personal. Besides the activities, the big part is for the GMs and top brass to get together and discuss trades. The trade deadline date is a big one for lesser teams to look forward to. If Silver wants to change things, then he should restack all the teams by record at the end of the season and have the playoffs based on W-L records for each conference. Division winners could still be ensured of making the playoffs, but then would be ranked by W-L record.
“The most contrarian thing of all is not to oppose the crowd but to think for yourself.” Peter Thiel

ImageImage
Lockdown504090
RealGM
And1: 12,035

Post#16 » by Lockdown504090 » Sat Dec 21, 2019 7:43 pm

make it like 70 ish. nobody plays 4 games against each other anymore maybe make a couple in-conference matchups only play twice. They can charge more for tournament tickets, nobody cares to watch when charlotte comes to town regularly, but in a tournament every game is so important. Its gonna be funny when the clippers throw the tournament to let kawhi rest though.
fox2jk
Junior
And1: 145

Post#17 » by fox2jk » Sat Dec 21, 2019 8:06 pm

Heres an idea. Stop rigging games and allow instant replay 3 times a half.

People dont watch because its rigged. FYI
Pickled Prunes
Head Coach
And1: 1,197

Post#18 » by Pickled Prunes » Sat Dec 21, 2019 9:30 pm

Just shut up and play ball. It's fine as is. I'm going to a game tonight... a game I would not be going to if tickets, parking and concessions all went up 10% to compensate for the loss in revenue.

If teams want to pay players like Kawhi 30% of their cap to play 70% of their games, that's OK too. I just won't buy LAC tix in advance. But clearly, if the season was 50 games he'd play 40. That is a contract issue not a number of games issue.

And why would anyone... I mean anyone (player/coach/fan)... care about a mid-season tournament?

Foolishness!
Dennis 37
RealGM
And1: 17,764

Post#19 » by Dennis 37 » Sat Dec 21, 2019 9:48 pm

I can't think of a reason why any teams' starters would care about this tournament and a million dollars.

Here's an idea. Have the tournament using only the bottom 9, in minutes per game, of the 15 man rosters. Games would be two 20 minute halves. After each game, the top 6 players play a 20 minute, no time out, 3 on 3 game with hockey style substitutions. Bottom 9 would be interested in the million dollars, the top 6 would be having fun.

I would be interested in watching that.
Maxpainmedia:
"NYC has the **** most Two Faced fans, but we ALL loved IQ,, and that is super rare, I've been a Knicks fan for 37 years, this kid is a star and he will snap in Toronto"
Dennis 37
RealGM
And1: 17,764

Post#20 » by Dennis 37 » Sat Dec 21, 2019 9:54 pm

fox2jk wrote:Heres an idea. Stop rigging games and allow instant replay 3 times a half.

People dont watch because its rigged. FYI

Last night Raptors, minus 3 starters, were up by 18 on the Wizards. The refs then decided to manage the point spread by ignoring multiple fouls on Kyle Lowry and other players. Not the Kyle trying to create the foul on the perimeter type of foul. Actually being hit in the arm while driving to the hoop foul.

You could tell the league was afraid that Wizard's fans would turn the channel (close the stream).
Maxpainmedia:
"NYC has the **** most Two Faced fans, but we ALL loved IQ,, and that is super rare, I've been a Knicks fan for 37 years, this kid is a star and he will snap in Toronto"

Return to Wiretap Discussion