ImageImageImage

The Problem with the Sixers (Identity/Leadership Void)

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Foshan, sixers hoops, Sixerscan

BullyKing
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers
And1: 14,114

Re: The Problem with the Sixers (Identity/Leadership Void) 

Post#21 » by BullyKing » Sat Dec 21, 2019 11:49 pm

DaSixers wrote:All I know is, this thing id about to go real bad and quick

Fair statement. That is literally all you know.
NYSixersFan wrote:
the plan is to get as good as quickly as possible....I fully believe we could have been a borderline playoff team last year by adding young veterans....using or draft picks and cap space.....can I specifically tell you who? no.
Bum Adebayo
Head Coach
And1: 3,930

Post#22 » by Bum Adebayo » Sun Dec 22, 2019 12:36 am

Yeah, at least he knows something.
Horrible takes since 2016
BullyKing
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers
And1: 14,114

Post#23 » by BullyKing » Sun Dec 22, 2019 1:36 am

Bum Adebayo wrote:Yeah, at least he knows something.

Dude, you spend hours a day trolling a message board. Don't really think you're in position to judge anyone.
NYSixersFan wrote:
the plan is to get as good as quickly as possible....I fully believe we could have been a borderline playoff team last year by adding young veterans....using or draft picks and cap space.....can I specifically tell you who? no.
DaSixers
Pro Prospect
And1: 227

Post#24 » by DaSixers » Sun Dec 22, 2019 2:33 am

Heres the problem:

Read on Twitter
?s=09
kio80
Sixth Man
And1: 1,076

Post#25 » by kio80 » Sun Dec 22, 2019 3:34 am

DaSixers wrote:Heres the problem:

Read on Twitter
?s=09

I have seen you posted this several times in several different threads. Give it a rest

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
tsmith
Sixth Man
And1: 908

Post#26 » by tsmith » Sun Dec 22, 2019 3:53 am

I don't get the Embiid is immature arguments. Every single mistake I can think of that he has made he has addressed it and worked on not making it again. That to me, is a sign of maturity.
rulebook
Sophomore
And1: 69

Post#27 » by rulebook » Sun Dec 22, 2019 5:50 am

tsmith wrote:I don't get the Embiid is immature arguments. Every single mistake I can think of that he has made he has addressed it and worked on not making it again. That to me, is a sign of maturity.

Were you around for the whole KAT ridiculousness?
Simmons25
Analyst
And1: 2,235

Post#28 » by Simmons25 » Sun Dec 22, 2019 7:59 am

There is leadership issues at several levels... but I can only think Brett must be hanging on by a very thin thread now. The only reason I can think that he is still there is because they don't want to ruin his families Xmas. The last few games with our inability too combat the zone was probably the final straw.

I think the only thing that can save him now is a 20 point thumping of the Bucks on Xmas day against their zone.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,334

Post#29 » by 76ciology » Sun Dec 22, 2019 8:30 am

phillynative wrote:
76ciology wrote:Embiid didnt develop leadership because he was babied after BC was fired. Biid has immaturity problems ever since college and this is still evident until now. While Ben doesnt have that leadership in his DNA.

Regarding identity, its because I believe deep inside the guys aren’t in line with how the team wants to play.

The leaders and the followers should share the same belief. Try to read Simon Sinek’s book “start with why”.
You think Ben wants to play post heavy offense that Biid wants to play?

How so? @ in bold

BC used to not give into Biid’s demands (including contract) that Biid eventually hated him. Remember those times when we sit him for his own good but he would throw those tantrums in games? I believe its also BC who put a lot of restrictions to his contract that at some point there was a misunderstanding between Biid and the team. I dont know the other details but from these two mindsets, it reflected what I believe in.

You become a leader by being mature/disciplined. You have to be the grown man in the room
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
youngcrev
RealGM
And1: 8,444

Post#30 » by youngcrev » Sun Dec 22, 2019 5:25 pm

So the Sixers have had a really clunky offense due to the spacing/shooting/play making issues and adjustments to playing with one another, a really good defense that is elite when they're locked in, and are currently on pace to win 57 games.

Isnt that pretty much exactly what we were expecting coming into the season? Are these freakouts just because some other teams are doing better than expected? Or were people really thinking we'd come out like the Bucks did this year and just trashing teams? It's not like this team got better talent-wise going from JJ and Jimmy to Horford and Josh.
Ferry Avenue
Starter
And1: 824

Post#31 » by Ferry Avenue » Sun Dec 22, 2019 5:38 pm

youngcrev wrote:So the Sixers have had a really clunky offense due to the spacing/shooting/play making issues and adjustments to playing with one another, a really good defense that is elite when they're locked in, and are currently on pace to win 57 games.

Isnt that pretty much exactly what we were expecting coming into the season? Are these freakouts just because some other teams are doing better than expected? Or were people really thinking we'd come out like the Bucks did this year and just trashing teams? It's not like this team got better talent-wise going from JJ and Jimmy to Horford and Josh.

How often are they locked in on defense, and how stifling is it, really? Which players are leading that effort and setting a standard of play in that regard, and is it creating a culture of performance in that area for the team?

In other words, where is this team's identity as a stifling defensive squad? I'm not seeing that. There is no reason why that shouldn't be present on a consistent basis at this point.

And if the team doesn't have that as an identity, what does it have as one? That's the point of the thread.
Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,063

Post#32 » by Kobblehead » Sun Dec 22, 2019 5:51 pm

We have a 104.6 defensive rating this year

In 2018, we had a 105 defensive rating. That's with Dario Saric and J.J. Redick in the lineup for 30 minutes a game.

It feels like we're underperforming defensively this year. We should be in the top 3 and instead we're in the back half of the Top 10. Missing Lloyd Pierce.
youngcrev
RealGM
And1: 8,444

Post#33 » by youngcrev » Sun Dec 22, 2019 6:31 pm

Ferry Avenue wrote:
youngcrev wrote:So the Sixers have had a really clunky offense due to the spacing/shooting/play making issues and adjustments to playing with one another, a really good defense that is elite when they're locked in, and are currently on pace to win 57 games.

How often are they locked in on defense, and how stifling is it, really? Which players are leading that effort and setting a standard of play in that regard, and is it creating a culture of performance in that area for the team?

In other words, where is this team's identity as a stifling defensive squad? I'm not seeing that. There is no reason why that shouldn't be present on a consistent basis at this point.

And if the team doesn't have that as an identity, what does it have as one? That's the point of the thread.

Sorry, my post wasn't meant directly about you or the thread topic (but since we don't have a general discussion thread this felt like the closest thing), just the overreactions around here in general.

The defense hasn't been consistently there overall, though they've been very good on that end when the starters have been on the floor. I agree that they don't seem to have the mentality of wanting to shut teams down on the a nightly basis, but I do think they've shown the ability to do so in stretches, and tend to think its more of an effort thing (particularly from the big fella). Come playoff time, when the rotation is whittled down to their top-8 or 9, and they're playing like things count, I expect the defense is going to be outstanding.

I worry far more about the other end of the floor.
Bum Adebayo
Head Coach
And1: 3,930

Post#34 » by Bum Adebayo » Sun Dec 22, 2019 10:27 pm

Kobblehead wrote:We have a 104.6 defensive rating this year

In 2018, we had a 105 defensive rating. That's with Dario Saric and J.J. Redick in the lineup for 30 minutes a game.

It feels like we're underperforming defensively this year. We should be in the top 3 and instead we're in the back half of the Top 10. Missing Lloyd Pierce.

I think you are living in the past. Defense doesn't win games, it is all about scoring on the ball. What are we doing talking about defense when we don't have on ball scorers? let's give Shayok a chance now!
Horrible takes since 2016
Chris76
Sixth Man
And1: 318

Post#35 » by Chris76 » Mon Dec 23, 2019 12:32 am

Bum Adebayo wrote:
Kobblehead wrote:We have a 104.6 defensive rating this year

I think you are living in the past. Defense doesn't win games, it is all about scoring on the ball. What are we doing talking about defense when we don't have on ball scorers? let's give Shayok a chance now!

I would like to see Shayok get a chance. His Lou Williams type impact is needed. Burke looks good, but Shayok has size and better range.

Our defense does seem to be under performing. Embiid allowing midrange jumpers and open 3s are killing us. THJ, Bertans, and others got too many open looks. Maybe, Pelle or Bolden could add needed energy at times.
Ferry Avenue
Starter
And1: 824

Post#36 » by Ferry Avenue » Mon Dec 23, 2019 1:40 am

Chris76 wrote:I would like to see Shayok get a chance. His Lou Williams type impact is needed. Burke looks good, but Shayok has size and better range.

Our defense does seem to be under performing. Embiid allowing midrange jumpers and open 3s are killing us. THJ, Bertans, and others got too many open looks. Maybe, Pelle or Bolden could add needed energy at times.

It's definitely time to start trying to find some heart and soul for the team with bench players who are potentially hungrier and more intense than what we're seeing with the starters.

If Simmons and Embiid and company are going to half-ass it a good percentage of the time, then they can sit and watch the hungrier guys get a chance. Pelle, Shayok, Milton, Thybulle, Burke, Smith, etc.
DaSixers
Pro Prospect
And1: 227

Post#37 » by DaSixers » Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:19 am

The raptors, missing 3 of their top 6 guys including their best player just beat the dallas team we lost too

Boston, minus 2 of their top players, won in another blow out today. Milwaukee missing its starting pg, blew out indiana again today

We r no where close to these teams levels
Ray1982
Ballboy
And1: 5

Post#38 » by Ray1982 » Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:21 am

DaSixers wrote:The raptors, missing 3 of their top 6 guys including their best player just beat the dallas team we lost too

Boston, minus 2 of their top players, won in another blow out today. Milwaukee missing its starting pg, blew out indiana again today

We r no where close to these teams levels

Nope we are going to be a six or a seven seed in the first round exit

I bet you coaches and players were laughing around the NBA when the so-called experts picked the 76ers to go to the finals
tsmith
Sixth Man
And1: 908

Post#39 » by tsmith » Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:50 am

rulebook wrote:
tsmith wrote:I don't get the Embiid is immature arguments. Every single mistake I can think of that he has made he has addressed it and worked on not making it again. That to me, is a sign of maturity.

Were you around for the whole KAT ridiculousness?

Him hyping up the crowd isn't immature, thats hilarious. Even after the incident apologised, took ownership for his actions and said he hurt the team and won't be doing anything like that ever again. Showed great maturity in that ridiculousness.
SexDrugsPnR
Bench Warmer
And1: 724

Post#40 » by SexDrugsPnR » Mon Dec 23, 2019 11:06 am

Even though things are not going as great as we thought they would, I'd like this to be the year where we don't make any major changes and let Brett and the team figure it out. You can talk about lack of shooting, lack of defensive effort, lack of in-game adjustments by the coach. But the one thing that's been a constant through all the years was lack of continuity. Let's make continuity our key addition this season.

Happy holidays everyone! :cuddle

Return to Philadelphia 76ers