Welcome Matisse Thybulle!

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Foshan, sixers hoops, Sixerscan

creek48
Freshman
And1: 20

Re: Welcome Matisse Thybulle! 

Post#421 » by creek48 » Mon Dec 23, 2019 4:49 am

eyeatoma wrote:
ExplosionsInDaSky wrote:Call me crazy, but i'd love for us to get a good look at Zhaire Smith now that Thybulle is shelved for a month or two. It's not the end of the world for him. He'll back, but someone has got to step up. I am not a big fan of Shake, Furkan might be the answer, but I really want us to get a look at Smith too if that is even possible. Or is he simply still that bad?
They said two weeks not a month or two.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

He is set to be re-evaluated in 2 weeks. Hopefully he can return soon after that.
Eyeamok
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,367

Post#422 » by Eyeamok » Mon Dec 23, 2019 5:48 am

creek48 wrote:
eyeatoma wrote:
ExplosionsInDaSky wrote:Call me crazy, but i'd love for us to get a good look at Zhaire Smith now that Thybulle is shelved for a month or two. It's not the end of the world for him. He'll back, but someone has got to step up. I am not a big fan of Shake, Furkan might be the answer, but I really want us to get a look at Smith too if that is even possible. Or is he simply still that bad?

He is set to be re-evaluated in 2 weeks. Hopefully he can return soon after that.

If you think he is going to be back before the all Star break you have not been paying attention.
:D
The Accession of Paul Reed is upon us !

You want it to be one way....but it's the other way.

Marlo
phillynative
General Manager
And1: 2,681

Post#423 » by phillynative » Mon Dec 23, 2019 7:14 am

kuclas wrote:Thybulle has a good looking shot and long arms.

Smith is a deer in headlights.

Shake Milton should see some time. Sure we lose defense. But Milton is a play maker. He need more guys to break down defenses.

Milton cant break down any defense. He is slow and with solid but not great ball handling. He mostly a P&R option with the ability to pass to a roller or shoot over his defender. He is a better defender than furkan but more streaky from the 3.

If we do decide to give Milton some time I would like to see him paired up with Pelle running the P&R .They have chemistry from there time together in the g-league.
phillynative
General Manager

Post#424 » by phillynative » Mon Dec 23, 2019 7:16 am

Ray1982 wrote:

Problem is he’s only 6-2 at best

He is definitely short to be projected as a wing. I think he will have to drastically improve his on the ball skills.
Embiid P
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,067

Post#425 » by Embiid P » Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:31 am

Simmons25 wrote:
Embiid P wrote:
Ray1982 wrote:
Read on Twitter
?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fd-40157464573658886702.ampproject.net%2F1912201827130%2Fframe.html

Why did Brett have him in so late in the 4th when the game was already decided? Great, now we'll be missing him for one of the toughest stretches of the season smh.

Wait what. You are blaming Brett Brown for this injury? for having a bench player on in garbage time?

A very valuable bench player that could easily be a starter. At that point in the game, he should have had the deep reserves (i.e. Milton, Pelle, KOQ, Shayok, etc.) in.
ExplosionsInDaSky
RealGM
And1: 4,409

Post#426 » by ExplosionsInDaSky » Mon Dec 23, 2019 11:45 pm

eyeatoma wrote:

Andrew Bynum, Nerlens Noel, Joel Embiid, Ben Simmons, Markelle Fultz, Zhaire Smith.
TTP
Head Coach
And1: 4,398

Post#427 » by TTP » Mon Dec 23, 2019 11:58 pm

Embiid P wrote:
Simmons25 wrote:
Embiid P wrote:
Why did Brett have him in so late in the 4th when the game was already decided? Great, now we'll be missing him for one of the toughest stretches of the season smh.

Wait what. You are blaming Brett Brown for this injury? for having a bench player on in garbage time?

A very valuable bench player that could easily be a starter. At that point in the game, he should have had the deep reserves (i.e. Milton, Pelle, KOQ, Shayok, etc.) in.

Matisse basically was a deep reserve that game. He came in as the 10th man, not entering the game until the start of the second quarter. He played 16 minutes total that night, so it's not like he was overworked or anything. I wouldn't fault any coach for trying to get a young player extra minutes in a spot like that.
jonjames is a signature bet welcher.

Appostis wrote:You're friend ..is a idiot.
ExplosionsInDaSky
RealGM
And1: 4,409

Post#428 » by ExplosionsInDaSky » Tue Dec 24, 2019 2:27 am

phillynative wrote:
Ray1982 wrote:

He is definitely short to be projected as a wing. I think he will have to drastically improve his on the ball skills.

With all due respect, why the HELL did we draft him then? What is it that they saw in him if we're simply never going to use him? His athleticism? People are complaining about his height! Every shortcoming he had going into the draft, we knew about. It wasn't a secret that he's a shorter wing player or that he lacked decent handles, or that he really couldn't shoot. He was a project, but we took him with a relatively high pick over some other talent that we probably shouldn't have passed on. Like I asked before, if the plan is to never use him at all, then why did we pick him?
phillynative
General Manager

Post#429 » by phillynative » Tue Dec 24, 2019 4:55 am

ExplosionsInDaSky wrote:
phillynative wrote:
Ray1982 wrote:

With all due respect, why the HELL did we draft him then? What is it that they saw in him if we're simply never going to use him? His athleticism? People are complaining about his height! Every shortcoming he had going into the draft, we knew about. It wasn't a secret that he's a shorter wing player or that he lacked decent handles, or that he really couldn't shoot. He was a project, but we took him with a relatively high pick over some other talent that we probably shouldn't have passed on. Like I asked before, if the plan is to never use him at all, then why did we pick him?

They drafted him as a project. Coming out of the draft he didnt even really have a position.
Eyeamok
Lead Assistant

Post#430 » by Eyeamok » Tue Dec 24, 2019 3:13 pm

ExplosionsInDaSky wrote:
eyeatoma wrote:

Andrew Bynum, Nerlens Noel, Joel Embiid , Ben Simmons, Markelle Fultz , Zhaire Smith.

I gave you an Add +1 even though your list is partially inaccurate. Joel Embiid should have been on your list twice. Some would say Ben Simmons is still out. Fultz, that guy was out more than he was in. And Smith has taken steps backwards not forwards. So you are right, being optimistic about Matisse's quick return is not a bet I would take.

Marlo
Eyeamok
Lead Assistant

Post#431 » by Eyeamok » Thu Jan 2, 2020 3:25 pm

I would have loved to have seen Matisse on Butler/Herro /Ross or Fultz. Could have easily changed those 1 point losses to wins.

Marlo
HartfordWhalers
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
And1: 20,472

Post#432 » by HartfordWhalers » Thu Jan 2, 2020 5:08 pm

Matisse has really been so much more than expected, you have to give the scouting staff and front office credit.
mithrandir17
Veteran
And1: 1,608

Post#433 » by mithrandir17 » Thu Jan 2, 2020 5:14 pm

The two week re-evaluation is in about 2-3 days. Let's see if our medical staff is still the same in giving out timelines.
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 13,661

Post#434 » by Negrodamus » Thu Jan 2, 2020 6:09 pm

HartfordWhalers wrote:Matisse has really been so much more than expected, you have to give the scouting staff and front office credit.

They definitely deserve credit since he's projectable as a major defensive game changer.

Not to be a broken record, but I do think this past (and all future drafts) should have been used to swing for the fence on offensive creators, especially given the circumstances we're currently in. I get a little frustrating seeing Terence Davis adding a solid scoring/ballhandling duties for Toronto given that we had him in for a few workouts during the draft process.
BullyKing
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers
And1: 14,114

Post#435 » by BullyKing » Thu Jan 2, 2020 6:17 pm

Negrodamus wrote:
HartfordWhalers wrote:Matisse has really been so much more than expected, you have to give the scouting staff and front office credit.

They definitely deserve credit since he's projectable as a major defensive game changer.

Not to be a broken record, but I do think this past (and all future drafts) should have been used to swing for the fence on offensive creators, especially given the circumstances we're currently in. I get a little frustrating seeing Terence Davis adding a solid scoring/ballhandling duties for Toronto given that we had him in for a few workouts during the draft process.

What frustrates me is that it wasn't an either/or. We had more than enough picks to grab both. I did not understand at the time and still do not understand why the team set an artificial limit of one rookie at the draft. Did we really need both Burke and Neto? Did we really need to guarantee roster spots to both Milton and Bolden? It was just a completely unforced error. The worst case scenario is that all four of those guys beat out whoever we drafted in the second. Big deal.
NYSixersFan wrote:
the plan is to get as good as quickly as possible....I fully believe we could have been a borderline playoff team last year by adding young veterans....using or draft picks and cap space.....can I specifically tell you who? no.
DaSixers
Pro Prospect
And1: 227

Post#436 » by DaSixers » Thu Jan 2, 2020 6:21 pm

I continue to struggle in seeing what they see in bolden, esp after having about 17 PF and Cs on the roster already
Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,063

Post#437 » by Kobblehead » Thu Jan 2, 2020 6:28 pm

Negrodamus wrote:They definitely deserve credit since he's projectable as a major defensive game changer.

Focusing on guys like Bridges/Smith and then Thybulle shows an improper forecast from the front office(s) that they already had their creation core complete on two separate occasions. Once with Embiid/Simmons/Fultz and then again with Embiid/Simmons/Harris.

Thybulle looks like a really useful rookie contract player that will probably get the full multiyear MLE in four years and then start signing vet minimums after that. I probably would have aimed a bit higher on production due to lack of faith in everyone outside of Embiid.
HartfordWhalers

Post#438 » by HartfordWhalers » Thu Jan 2, 2020 6:31 pm

BullyKing wrote:
Negrodamus wrote:

What frustrates me is that it wasn't an either/or. We had more than enough picks to grab both. I did not understand at the time and still do not understand why the team set an artificial limit of one rookie at the draft. Did we really need both Burke and Neto? Did we really need to guarantee roster spots to both Milton and Bolden? It was just a completely unforced error. The worst case scenario is that all four of those guys beat out whoever we drafted in the second. Big deal.

I feel like the either or would be Davis or Marial Shayok. Late 2nd rounder versus undrafted guy, each a bunch of scoring at the guard spot and each an older player.

It is early, and Shayok is tearing up the DLeague as well, so I won't call that a blown call yet.
HartfordWhalers

Post#439 » by HartfordWhalers » Thu Jan 2, 2020 6:33 pm

Kobblehead wrote:
Negrodamus wrote:They definitely deserve credit since he's projectable as a major defensive game changer.

Focusing on guys like Bridges/Smith and then Thybulle shows an improper forecast from the front office(s) that they already had their creation core complete on two separate occasions. Once with Embiid/Simmons/Fultz and then again with Embiid/Simmons/Harris.

Thybulle looks like a really useful rookie contract player that will probably get the full multiyear MLE in four years and then start signing vet minimums after that. I probably would have aimed a bit higher on production due to lack of faith in everyone outside of Embiid.

I wouldn't jump to that. Filling one hole in the draft with a mid (or late) 1st definitely doesn't mean you don't see needs elsewhere.
Embiid P
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,067

Post#440 » by Embiid P » Thu Jan 2, 2020 11:45 pm

DaSixers wrote:I continue to struggle in seeing what they see in bolden, esp after having about 17 PF and Cs on the roster already

It must be an Aussie thing with Brown, Ben, and Bolden. TBH I know it would never happen, but I'd like to see Bolden get some of Horford's minutes at PF.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers