The Jarrett Culver Thread

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

TheZachAttack
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,087

Re: The Jarrett Culver Thread 

Post#521 » by TheZachAttack » Wed Dec 11, 2019 4:47 am

Jedzz wrote:
TheZachAttack wrote:I completely agree. There are reasons why the point guard position and assist numbers are highly correlated--largely due to the traditional role of a PG within an offense. However, the role of a PG--especially in today's game--can vary widely depending on offensive scheme, structure, and the skillsets of players on a team.

I would argue that in a Wolves system (which in its ideal state) seems to want to revolve around ball-movement, drive and kick action, and cutting... there should not be a single player that is averaging a high number of assists. In the Wolves ideal state there are 3 or 4 guys (Wiggins/Culver/Towns and hopefully in the future others as well) that average 3-5 assists per game.

Sorry. I can't buy this rationalization stuff any longer.

If the guy can't shoot well (Culver), and he's the starting Point, than he better be creating and assisting at a high level.

If all he can do is drive the net well, then by all means stand apost at a wing position. I like players that can finish at the rim. Just don't call him our point guard if that's all he can do at this level.

This system calls for shooters. If you can't shoot at a high enough level, then you need to be feeding shooters to be called a Point anything.

I think you are projecting a ton of things onto what rational people are saying about Culver. He has one trait, that being his ball-handling and decision making (and I am using that to describe an eye test type trait that I think we have all see ), that he has shown an ability above expectations that has led to him filling the PG role with the starters that requires a secondary skill set and actually a smaller role than the PG position off the bench.

Culver is playing the PG position right now because of that one trait. He’s in the role he currently is because with the starters he’s actually asked to do even less. However, it’s promising that for a player that isn’t a traditional PG he’s flashing some skills that lend to the idea that he can be the non-traditional 1 in a future Wolves lineup. This being interesting because of how it opens up a number of things especially on the defensive end at least in theory.

There is a laundry list of things Culver needs to do to improve as an NBA player from there: Free throw shooting, assertiveness, finishing at the rim, free throw shooting, etc, etc. Both things can be true you don’t have to trend towards one of the extremes to make a point.

I think the other Hope comes from the idea that Culver has flashed those other traits—albeit obviously not with any degree of consistency.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,856

Post#522 » by Klomp » Wed Dec 11, 2019 4:52 am

The first roster spot on the 2020 Timberwolves Vegas Summer League team goes to....

Read on Twitter

(older brother, he's a senior)
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,716

Post#523 » by minimus » Fri Dec 27, 2019 5:02 am

It seems like Culver is better POA defender than I thought. If he keeps better as positional, team defender we might get another solid wing defender. I am not sure if this justify his 5th draft selection though.
Jedzz
RealGM
And1: 2,506

Post#524 » by Jedzz » Fri Dec 27, 2019 6:33 am

minimus wrote:It seems like Culver is better POA defender than I thought. If he keeps better as positional, team defender we might get another solid wing defender. I am not sure if this justify his 5th draft selection though.
So, a Graham replacement?
minimus
RealGM

Post#525 » by minimus » Fri Dec 27, 2019 6:37 am

Jedzz wrote:
minimus wrote:It seems like Culver is better POA defender than I thought. If he keeps better as positional, team defender we might get another solid wing defender. I am not sure if this justify his 5th draft selection though.

Yeah, but he is more mobile, more quick, while Graham has more strength. I still want us to resign Graham for min, next season.
old school 34
Senior
And1: 240

Post#526 » by old school 34 » Fri Dec 27, 2019 3:51 pm

minimus wrote:
Jedzz wrote:

Yeah, but he is more mobile, more quick, while Graham has more strength. I still want us to resign Graham for min, next season.
Graham's value to the team is keeping Culver & JO in check. We know currently Culver & JO has to improve as shooters & current value is in other areas....& they get more run when they stay in their lane....still taking shots & missing them right now...but the right shots. JO & Culver have started to get back into some bad habits again where the # of contested drive shots that have no chance whatsoever to go in start to hit that too much threshold....more PT for Graham....its kind of the message to the young guys to stop being the original Shabazz...lol.

Sent from my SM-G973U using RealGM mobile app
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#527 » by Jedzz » Fri Dec 27, 2019 6:27 pm

minimus wrote:
Jedzz wrote:

Why resign Graham? He's shooting 35% FG, and 23% 3FG. How is that useful to the shoot it up offense?

Don't get me wrong, I like that he has more strength and plays with more, and it's wonderful to have players that will put effort into defense. But overall, the games where he makes an actual impact on defense just aren't there. It's off/on like the Josh Okogie stuff. These guys are maybe worth 12 minutes a game in specific situations, otherwise they are destroying the offense.

If Culver can't improve his shooting, he's maybe just as much a problem. Shooting coaches, new ones, pronto.
Norseman79
Sixth Man
And1: 561

Post#528 » by Norseman79 » Thu Jan 2, 2020 5:06 am

Certainly not suggesting that there isn't massive improvement needed, but the difference in aggressiveness with Culver has been noticeable and making a huge difference on the court. The shooting needs to improve, but we are starting to see the athleticism showing up, and a bit of nasty. Is this due to his ability to just relax and play how he knows how to play without KAT and Wig to defer to? Again, not suggesting anything, just noticing a shift in demeanor and play style.
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#529 » by Jedzz » Thu Jan 2, 2020 5:21 am

Norseman79 wrote:Certainly not suggesting that there isn't massive improvement needed, but the difference in aggressiveness with Culver has been noticeable and making a huge difference on the court. The shooting needs to improve, but we are starting to see the athleticism showing up, and a bit of nasty. Is this due to his ability to just relax and play how he knows how to play without KAT and Wig to defer to? Again, not suggesting anything, just noticing a shift in demeanor and play style.

Maybe it's just the freedom. Ryan was asked about the spread of shots to everyone and he described how he didn't choose who should get more shots this game like he typically does for Kat/WIggins. Probably makes it difficult for anyone to decdie to chuck it up until the Coach starts allowing it, like this recent game.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,856

Post#530 » by Klomp » Thu Jan 2, 2020 5:27 am

Jedzz wrote:
Norseman79 wrote:Certainly not suggesting that there isn't massive improvement needed, but the difference in aggressiveness with Culver has been noticeable and making a huge difference on the court. The shooting needs to improve, but we are starting to see the athleticism showing up, and a bit of nasty. Is this due to his ability to just relax and play how he knows how to play without KAT and Wig to defer to? Again, not suggesting anything, just noticing a shift in demeanor and play style.

Maybe it's just the freedom. Ryan was asked about the spread of shots to everyone and he described how he didn't choose who should get more shots this game like he typically does for Kat/WIggins. Probably makes it difficult for anyone to decdie to chuck it up until the Coach starts allowing it, like this recent game.

Freedom that you've said he shouldn't be given yet. Hmmm.....
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#531 » by Jedzz » Thu Jan 2, 2020 1:26 pm

Klomp wrote:
Jedzz wrote:

Freedom that you've said he shouldn't be given yet. Hmmm.....

I think the first time I have ever posted the word Freedom on this site is in this quote. Not sure what else you are referring to. You are older than this.

On Culver, I've been a staunch poster about him being removed from the starting group and playing bench minutes instead all season. Even Gleague minutes so he can build confidence there instead. Arguing with most about how they want him starting alongside Kat and WIggins. What else do you want to know? How does that not fit with this?

The real point here is about the team coaches telling all players to Feed Kat/Wiggins first. Every time they get the ball they probably hear that mantra that has been in their ear every day. Feed WIggins/Towns first. Get them their shots first. Towns/Wiggins are the talent, the rest of you are bums. In over a 100 in game interviews you will hear anyone of these random players over the last many years say that they must feed Wiggins/Towns. It's on their brain. The Freedom part comes from removing that mantra. As Norseman proposed the possibility of, allowing Culver for example to relax and play instead of trying so hard to defer to Kat/Wig. It's possible it helps.

Why does this snap you in half and cause these kinds of kiddy posts to roll out?
life_saver
General Manager
And1: 5,808

Post#532 » by life_saver » Thu Jan 2, 2020 6:03 pm

How can a guard shoot FTs so poorly? He was a 70% FT shooter in college...so far in NBA, he has been shooting FTs at 42%...I ain't an expert but from what i have seen so far, it feels like he can never become an efficient scorer unless he fixes his jumper/shooting motion. His release is so slow.
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#533 » by Jedzz » Thu Jan 2, 2020 6:25 pm

life_saver wrote:How can a guard shoot FTs so poorly? He was a 70% FT shooter in college...so far in NBA, he has been shooting FTs at 42%...I ain't an expert but from what i have seen so far, it feels like he can never become an efficient scorer unless he fixes his jumper/shooting motion. His release is so slow.

Someone tried adjusting his shot and it didn't take well right away. On FTs, I'm thinking pure pressure.
Neeva
Head Coach
And1: 2,186

Post#534 » by Neeva » Fri Jan 3, 2020 3:40 am

He needs to stop shooting so many threes.
TheDominator273
Sixth Man
And1: 1,079

Post#535 » by TheDominator273 » Fri Jan 3, 2020 3:47 am

Neeva wrote:He needs to stop shooting so many threes.
I disagree, he needs to keep shooting 3s, game reps are so much more important than practice reps.
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#536 » by Jedzz » Sun Jan 5, 2020 5:01 pm

Norseman79 wrote:...just noticing a shift in demeanor and play style.

I noticed it too. Good to see.
wolfen
Senior
And1: 216

Post#537 » by wolfen » Mon Jan 6, 2020 12:37 am

Jedzz wrote:
life_saver wrote:How can a guard shoot FTs so poorly? He was a 70% FT shooter in college...so far in NBA, he has been shooting FTs at 42%...I ain't an expert but from what i have seen so far, it feels like he can never become an efficient scorer unless he fixes his jumper/shooting motion. His release is so slow.

Someone tried adjusting his shot and it didn't take well right away. On FTs, I'm thinking pure pressure.

I tried to find evidence of this on the www but the google machine comes up with nothing about changing any shot mechanics during his rookie year. Plenty of stuff on how he changed it before his soph season, which made the shot a little more traditional, but resulted in a nine percentage point drop in 3 point percentage for the year. Where are you guys seeing that he has made changes on it during the year?

Never, ever, make a change during a playing season is my opinion. Certainly, not on the form of the shot, which yes, still needs work. What a player can work on during a season is the speed of his release. This doesn't necessarily mess with a shooter's form, it simply takes the structure of his form, but performing the action in a quicker fashion. I believe Culver's shot has 2 basic flaws. One is form-related, that he still does flair out that elbow. The other is the hesitation of his shot at the top before he releases it. Remember when a couple of your grade school buddies first started to be able to actually shoot a 15 foot jumper instead of shooting a set shot? They felt so proud that when they showed off their new skill, that they OVER did it. They jumped as high as they could, waited a split second in the air to make sure EVERYONE knew they were off the ground, THEN they shot it. That's what it looks like when Culver shoots a jumper. Fortunately, this half of his shooting flaw can and should be worked on during the season, wait till summer to bring in the elbow, and I'd also recommend that he also makes things easier on himself by opening up his feet position by about 15 degrees as well. Think about how a player stands at the free throw line. Some guys stand with both feet right on the FT line, others put the shooting foot a little closer to the line than the trail foot, which makes them face about 10 to 15 degrees left (if right handed) of the basket. This gives a chicken-wing shooter a little help so he doesn't have to COMPLETELY try to bring that elbow in to show off a perfect "elbow-in" form. In fact, watch the best shooters in the game, they set up that way as well.

But back to the hesitation or hitch at the top. Frankly, he should practice shooting set shots in practice. And when he does practice the jumper, to practice with a wider stance. Do I want him to shoot set shots in games or shoot his jumpers with a wide stance? Of course not, but those two drill options force you shoot the ball in one motion, making it almost impossible when doing the drill, to have a hesitation in the motion. Anyways, Culver is a smart dude and hard worker. I'm sure he'll raise his shooting percentages as his career progresses. Rooting for him tonight!
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#538 » by Jedzz » Mon Jan 6, 2020 2:48 am

Culver had a good game today. Clevelenad looking pretty scrubbish for a rotation today. But Culver was pretty good defensively and shot well. Turning into a nice shooting guard.
minimus
RealGM

Post#539 » by minimus » Mon Jan 6, 2020 5:33 am

Read on Twitter

It seems like many scouting report comparisons were inaccurate. If I think now about him I see him as better Evan Turner (JC is already a better defender) and poor man Jimmy Butler (FTs are real problem).
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#540 » by Jedzz » Mon Jan 6, 2020 6:45 pm

wolfen wrote:
Jedzz wrote:

I tried to find evidence of this on the www but the google machine comes up with nothing about changing any shot mechanics during his rookie year.

Did you find all the secret stuff the Wolves are working with their individual players on when you asked Mr. Google?

My assumption was someone, an assistant, or shooting coach, was trying to refine his shooting to try to get him higher than he was in college and it backfired a little on the speed of his uptake of something new. But hey maybe my assumption is wildly too bold and nobody tries to coach these guys at all.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves