ImageImageImage

Top 8 Teams in the West Today

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

Archx
RealGM
And1: 7,927

Re: Top 8 Teams in the West Today 

Post#41 » by Archx » Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:36 pm

Teffer10 wrote:I don't understand why people think we are so desperate for an elite playmaking PG when we have one of the most promising in the league in Luka. And we have Wright, Brunson, JJB, Reaves and Seth who are all capable of playing the point. Why on earth are people so eager to take the ball out of Luka's hands? I just don't get it.

We have so many other gaping holes in this team that I wouldn't even consider drafting, trading for or signing another playmaker to play with Luka. We need strength in the front court and a legit 3-D wing more than anything.

It's just one guy who thinks like that in these Mavs forums, with his weird takes. Like you said, this team has other problems than a PG role which Luka will effectively fill.
SOUNDCHASER
Sixth Man
And1: 279

Post#42 » by SOUNDCHASER » Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:58 pm

I kind of wanted Howard to come to Dallas but hey we have the players we need at the bigs IMHO. I would have wanted Boban to play as many minutes as he could anyway and even start if possible. That is the strategy that will empower us to win more games. I can see us maybe adding more depth at center since we can go small at PF with DFS and Roby.

KP Powell Kleber and Boban are all 4 starter quality this year. Noah is still out there but we need a younger guy to develop. With our depth at other positions we might look to make a trade or we can just be patient and see who gets cut or bought out and probably get a younger big that some other team gives up on developing.

Sooner of later older teams like SAN are going to start trading their older assets to rebuild. We are a buyer and can take advantage of those teams. That will get us into contention when they do that. Portland has a lot of salary and if they fail to win early they may get scared and start to trade out assets.

Free agents at center next year.

Whiteside and Drummond could both be available in free agency. If Whiteside gets serious and rebuilds his rep he may work his way into a nice payday. Drummond's options may make him available but he will be costly. Jahlil Okafor, Marc Gasol and Ian Mahinmi are also available as free agents.

Really hoping that our platoon approach works out this season and that Boban gets going and performs better than expected along with everyone else. if our bigs perform better than expected we are in the playoffs for sure. DeLon and Seth starting at the 1/2 with Luka as the SF and Boban and KP in the front court is my ideal starting lineup.

That means the bench has Powell Kleber Brunson Jackson Ryan DFS THJ Barea Lee and our rookies to choose from. That is some serious depth to fall back on. 2 PG's 2 bigs 5 wings and 2 rookies. I'd like to add another big for insurance purposes but we have talent enough to win and go far if their health holds up. Boban is going to have to play a lot more minutes if we manage KP's minutes like I am hearing.

2 Stars is all we need a clear cut third option is not really important I would rather use a balanced approach and find defense to augment this team.
SOUNDCHASER
Sixth Man
And1: 279

Post#43 » by SOUNDCHASER » Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:13 am

If anyone gets hurt we always have the MEJ to come in and man the 5 and he is almost as good as anyone else who is left except he already knows the system.
Darren
RealGM
And1: 823

Post#44 » by Darren » Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:59 am

Some old teams may be out of playoff with major injuries or ageing. At this point, it's all based on last season performance. Houston, for example, rely heavily on the backcourt duo who's over 35. Portland, for instance, has 30+ backcourt playing undersized basketball. Consider when Jet, Monta and so on deterioriate, I'd say CJ's closed to be ineffective at some point. Don't take too serious about hypes.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 7,989

Post#45 » by HMFFL » Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:46 pm

SOUNDCHASER wrote:I kind of wanted Howard to come to Dallas but hey we have the players we need at the bigs IMHO. I would have wanted Boban to play as many minutes as he could anyway and even start if possible. That is the strategy that will empower us to win more games. I can see us maybe adding more depth at center since we can go small at PF with DFS and Roby.

KP Powell Kleber and Boban are all 4 starter quality this year. Noah is still out there but we need a younger guy to develop. With our depth at other positions we might look to make a trade or we can just be patient and see who gets cut or bought out and probably get a younger big that some other team gives up on developing.

Sooner of later older teams like SAN are going to start trading their older assets to rebuild. We are a buyer and can take advantage of those teams. That will get us into contention when they do that. Portland has a lot of salary and if they fail to win early they may get scared and start to trade out assets.

Free agents at center next year.

Whiteside and Drummond could both be available in free agency. If Whiteside gets serious and rebuilds his rep he may work his way into a nice payday. Drummond's options may make him available but he will be costly. Jahlil Okafor, Marc Gasol and Ian Mahinmi are also available as free agents.

Really hoping that our platoon approach works out this season and that Boban gets going and performs better than expected along with everyone else. if our bigs perform better than expected we are in the playoffs for sure. DeLon and Seth starting at the 1/2 with Luka as the SF and Boban and KP in the front court is my ideal starting lineup.

That means the bench has Powell Kleber Brunson Jackson Ryan DFS THJ Barea Lee and our rookies to choose from. That is some serious depth to fall back on. 2 PG's 2 bigs 5 wings and 2 rookies. I'd like to add another big for insurance purposes but we have talent enough to win and go far if their health holds up. Boban is going to have to play a lot more minutes if we manage KP's minutes like I am hearing.

2 Stars is all we need a clear cut third option is not really important I would rather use a balanced approach and find defense to augment this team.
How is a distraction everywhere he goes. That could change with LA this time due to not having a contract that's not guaranteed. He will need to be a mute or else will be cut.
At this point, his legacy needs a championship, and for him to finish out his career without being the Howard he's been most of his career, a cancer.

Sent from my SM-N920P using RealGM mobile app
fuller4379
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,486

Post#46 » by fuller4379 » Sun Dec 29, 2019 5:57 am

Interesting to look at this now.
fuller4379
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,486

Post#47 » by fuller4379 » Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:28 am