ImageImageImageImageImage

Woj: Darren Collison considering coming out of retirement, interested in Lakers and Clippers

Moderators: Danny Darko, Kilroy, TyCobb

Spanish_Laker
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,010

Re: Woj: Darren Collison considering coming out of retirement, interested in Lakers and Clippers 

Post#21 » by Spanish_Laker » Thu Jan 2, 2020 11:42 am

The problem is we are capped, so is LAC. We can only offer him 1.75M disabled player exception, iIRC.
Banned after 15 years in this forum for no reason. Farewell RealGM users
Mamba Mentality
RealGM
And1: 19,182

Re: Woj: Darren Collison considering coming out of retirement, interested in Lakers and Clippers 

Post#22 » by Mamba Mentality » Thu Jan 2, 2020 3:51 pm

Why would he even want to go to the Clippers? Their guard rotation looks pretty set with Bev/George/Williams/Shamet.
LAKESHOW
RealGM
And1: 4,176

Post#23 » by LAKESHOW » Thu Jan 2, 2020 3:55 pm

Aha. Memphis. Iggys Price is dropping every day. Big mistake playin hardball. They shoulda just bought him out and handed him over.
Home of the 17 Time World Champions
Landsberger
General Manager
And1: 1,969

Post#24 » by Landsberger » Thu Jan 2, 2020 4:23 pm

Kilroy wrote:I think we should be cautious with a 30+ guy taking a year off, and trying to come back... That usually doesn't look anything like it did before the player left.
But if he can do what he was doing before he retired, it'd be a god-send for us...

What does that say for Iggy then? I think he was fading pretty quickly last year. I think the idea that either of these guys steps in and performs anywhere near their previous levels is hoping for more than is realistic.

That said, Collison, in a role off the bench as a change of pace initiator is something we could use.... even at 75% of his career levels.
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,222

Post#25 » by Kilroy » Thu Jan 2, 2020 6:19 pm

Landsberger wrote:
Kilroy wrote:I think we should be cautious with a 30+ guy taking a year off, and trying to come back... That usually doesn't look anything like it did before the player left.
But if he can do what he was doing before he retired, it'd be a god-send for us...

What does that say for Iggy then? I think he was fading pretty quickly last year. I think the idea that either of these guys steps in and performs anywhere near their previous levels is hoping for more than is realistic.

That said, Collison, in a role off the bench as a change of pace initiator is something we could use.... even at 75% of his career levels.

Same thing... Except that Iggy is quite a bit more player than Collison and has shown the ability to show up big in the playoffs/finals.
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...
thebigbird
Head Coach
And1: 19,897

Post#26 » by thebigbird » Thu Jan 2, 2020 6:48 pm

Collison is only 32 and is a good shooter. Last year he shot 50% from 10-16 feet, 46% from 16-3pt, and 40.7% from 3. If LA gets him I would consider starting him to get LeBron off the point. He's going to wear out in the playoffs if he has to be full-time point guard.
LAKESHOW
RealGM
And1: 4,176

Post#27 » by LAKESHOW » Thu Jan 2, 2020 7:06 pm

2 losses to the clippers was what i believed, what was needed to get this front office to move faster on a point guard.
Home of the 17 Time World Champions
Landsberger
General Manager
And1: 1,969

Post#28 » by Landsberger » Thu Jan 2, 2020 7:16 pm

LeBron is not "getting off the point"...
thebigbird
Head Coach
And1: 19,897

Post#29 » by thebigbird » Thu Jan 2, 2020 7:31 pm

Landsberger wrote:LeBron is not "getting off the point"...

Yes he will if they bring in another point guard. LeBron's teams have always revolved around him on offense, but never to this extent. He's never really played this way before. His time of possession numbers are all up this season compared to previous seasons. His touches are way up but his front court touches are down. His elbow touches, post ups, and paint touches are all down because he's having to do more point guard duties. If LeBron was 5 years younger this wouldn't be a problem, but unfortunately he's not.

His teams have always had secondary ballhandlers alongside him. Mario Chalmers in Miami and Kyrie in Cleveland. After Kyrie left it was George Hill. The Lakers need someone who can bring the ball up the court, space the floor, and do a little playmaking. Bradley and Green have played well this season but neither are playmakers and I don't trust either to bring the ball up the court against pressure come playoff time.
LALifer49
Rookie
And1: 862

Post#30 » by LALifer49 » Thu Jan 2, 2020 7:50 pm

Kilroy wrote:
Landsberger wrote:

Same thing... Except that Iggy is quite a bit more player than Collison and has shown the ability to show up big in the playoffs/finals.

Not same thing. Iggy is 36 years old, practically 4 years older than Collison (turns 36 this month). He's also played almost double the regular season minutes, and gone through tons of playoff minutes. Collison on the other hand, at 32, is still in a solid production age, and has not seen a fall off in production, as I pointed out previously he has been extremely consistent in his career, and he is coming off a strong season. We already can't rely on Iggy's shot, so if his defense has fallen off at age 36 he won't be much good. Collison should still be a good shooter, passer, bbiq guy, even if he needs to get in better shape.

Collison has only been out half a season. If he had missed half a season with injury and was returning from that we wouldn't have this narrative. Instead he's missed half a season but still had the opportunity to keep in shape and play ball (which he did in the summer) and considering he is eyeing a comeback has probably not put on 40 lbs or stopped being involved in the bball community.
NBAWestFan
Bench Warmer
And1: 122

Post#31 » by NBAWestFan » Thu Jan 2, 2020 8:40 pm

Sounds like it could happen and just what the Lakers need to get more buckets and play making when Lebron is not in

Collison
Avery/ Green
Kuzma
Howard
AD

When Bron is out
Beethoven
Head Coach
And1: 3,805

Post#32 » by Beethoven » Thu Jan 2, 2020 9:09 pm

Doesnt really mean anything until we do sign him and find out how he plays. We were all elated when we signed Danny green but so far he has been a bit lackluster.
Kobe Bryant forever
GO LAKERS
8-)
Spens1
RealGM
And1: 3,878

Post#33 » by Spens1 » Fri Jan 3, 2020 12:02 am

Yeah absolutely could use him. Collison, Caruso and Rondo as the rotation should do it. At least Collison is an average-above average P.G (no offense to our lord and saviour Alex Caruso).

Honestly someone about to get cut though in truth to make this happen.

Either way, Collison is a bit of an idiot given he was about to be paid 10 mill per year + to stay in Indiana (i doubt he'd get that kind of money next year unless we somehow miss out on all F.A targets).
stan francisco
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,537

Post#34 » by stan francisco » Fri Jan 3, 2020 2:04 am

JVL wrote:He's a Laker unless he has a bad relationship with Vogel.

Would be a great signing if he's in solid shape. Dude is extremely consistent, lights out from 3, takes care of the ball. He's the piece we desperately need to make us very dangerous.

If we can’t get FVV, sure.
PG: D Lo / Reaves / Vincent(IL) / JHS
SG: Christie / Dinwiddie / Lewis / Mays
SF: LBJ / Prince / Reddish / Windler
PF: Rui / Vando(IL) / LBJ
CTR: AD / Hayes / Wood

Modern era NBA titles:
LAL 11, CHI 6, SAS 5, BOS 5, GSW 4
kblo247
RealGM
And1: 2,130

Post#35 » by kblo247 » Fri Jan 3, 2020 3:01 am

Spens1 wrote:Yeah absolutely could use him. Collison, Caruso and Rondo as the rotation should do it. At least Collison is an average-above average P.G (no offense to our lord and saviour Alex Caruso).

Honestly someone about to get cut though in truth to make this happen.

Either way, Collison is a bit of an idiot given he was about to be paid 10 mill per year + to stay in Indiana (i doubt he'd get that kind of money next year unless we somehow miss out on all F.A targets).

Sometime happiness is important. He got to dedicate 3-4 months of his life in his 30s to being with his family, trying something he was passionate about, and rest his mind and body to return to play the game he loves back in his home for a playoff team and a coach he knows no matter which LA team he picks.
JVL
Starter
And1: 2,489

Post#36 » by JVL » Fri Jan 3, 2020 11:36 am

stan francisco wrote:

Would be a great signing if he's in solid shape. Dude is extremely consistent, lights out from 3, takes care of the ball. He's the piece we desperately need to make us very dangerous.

No way we can make FVV work. I just don't see how.

Obviously the better pick, but Collison is doable and I doubt he declined at all since last year.
stan francisco
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,537

Post#37 » by stan francisco » Fri Jan 3, 2020 11:53 am

JVL wrote:
stan francisco wrote:

Obviously the better pick, but Collison is doable and I doubt he declined at all since last year.

No way, why? Stranger three team deals have happened around ASB in the past for an expiring rental like FVV. He thinks they will keep Lowry over him as they won’t be able to afford both. The question is, what can we do to make TOR happy?

KCP and Cook? Daniels? Who’s the third team and the player from a third team? I don’t know, because I’m not in the know of inside NBA GM rumors. Pelinka knows all the potential suitors.

THT stays.

Do it Pelinka.
PG: D Lo / Reaves / Vincent(IL) / JHS
SG: Christie / Dinwiddie / Lewis / Mays
SF: LBJ / Prince / Reddish / Windler
PF: Rui / Vando(IL) / LBJ
CTR: AD / Hayes / Wood

Modern era NBA titles:
LAL 11, CHI 6, SAS 5, BOS 5, GSW 4
lazybatman
Sixth Man
And1: 876

Post#38 » by lazybatman » Fri Jan 3, 2020 3:37 pm

Beethoven wrote:I don't know how much faith he has in his religion to keep him a man of integrity but I can see Ballmer offering him incentives and cash under the table to entice him to the hobos.

And what's stopping us from doing that for him and Grizzlies.
bb22
Starter
And1: 984

Post#39 » by bb22 » Fri Jan 3, 2020 3:53 pm

Beethoven wrote:Doesnt really mean anything until we do sign him and find out how he plays. We were all elated when we signed Danny green but so far he has been a bit lackluster.

True.
But, in all fairness, Danny was shooting about 36% from 3 the previous few seasons prior to joining the raptors. This may just be what the Lakers are going to get from him all season: Stretches of poor shooting, and then the odd game where he goes 6/8.
I still think it’s a mistake that Cook can’t find minutes, but if Vogel has decided that Cook and Troy are out of the rotation, then you have to move them. Maybe even pick up a G leaguer that’s gonna battle and hit the open 3 in the meantime.
tamaraw08
Analyst
And1: 1,235

Post#40 » by tamaraw08 » Fri Jan 3, 2020 4:18 pm

stan francisco wrote:
JVL wrote:
stan francisco wrote:

No way, why? Stranger three team deals have happened around ASB in the past for an expiring rental like FVV. He thinks they will keep Lowry over him as they won’t be able to afford both. The question is, what can we do to make TOR happy?

KCP and Cook? Daniels? Who’s the third team and the player from a third team? I don’t know, because I’m not in the know of inside NBA GM rumors. Pelinka knows all the potential suitors.

THT stays.

Do it Pelinka.

Where did hear that FVV is thinking that Toronto will keep Lowry over him? Kyle is 33 years old, actually same age as Rondo and his 3 pt shot has been shaky esp in the playoffs all his career. He is also much more expensive and if they truly wants to keep him, they would have extended him for several years and not just for another season.
About Collison, I followed this guy's career since his early UCLA days. He is solid, not reckless, plays good defense and yes he is accurate from the 3pt line but my concern is that his release is not as smooth and the main reason he looks good % wise is that he is a VERY SELECTIVE shooter. He NEVER SHOT MORE THAN 4 3pt shots/game in his entire career of 708 games. He is also no longer that explosive as he barely attacks the rim when needed.

Return to Los Angeles Lakers