ImageImageImage

Michael Porter Jr

Moderator: THE J0KER

Coeur
Assistant Coach
And1: 668

Re: Michael Porter Jr 

Post#61 » by Coeur » Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:54 am

DaFan334 wrote:They almost have to let him run with the Starters a little bit in the next couple of games. The talent is undeniable and it would be a shame not to try and see what he was like with that skill around him.

His game fits best for what Nugs need at sf. You’re absolutely right that playing w Jokic and Murray as much as possible will only help mpj

They’ll start him eventually. Keeping harris, Barton, Abe millsap in the starting lineup will hopefully hold their values as high as possible for a hopeful trade.
SkillzFromThe6
Junior
And1: 355

Post#62 » by SkillzFromThe6 » Fri Nov 1, 2019 5:02 pm

More MPJ please.
THE J0KER
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Forum Mod - Nuggets
And1: 6,513

Post#63 » by THE J0KER » Tue Dec 31, 2019 1:28 am

THE J0KER wrote:I guess now, just like in Jokic case in 2016, or Murray case in 2017, we must to wait December for Malone to realize the obvious about Porter. This time Barton will be in the role of 2016 Nurkic and 2017 Mudiay.

When Malone listed out MPJ from standard rotation before the start of the season despite notable preseason, I see big problems with his playing time at the start of the season. But I didn't imagine how cruel Malone will be in this case, with just one single game with over 13 minutes in first 30 games of the season, with several DNP cases, even against lottery teams.

Yes, Will Barton overperformed (compared to expectations), but other two SF options Juancho and Craig underperformed badly so far with terrible 46%TS%, and also Beasley is partly blacklisted after not re-signing his contract (playing time dropped to 15mpg so far), so Barton played some unplanned minutes at SG, and this season so far Juancho played most of his minutes as PF when we playing small-ball. According to basketball-reference, Porter played so far 90% time at PF and Grant played 40% at SF, but that is clearly wrong. While in the offense it is really confusing who is who, on defense, MPJ is clearly SF and Grant PF (even C sometimes), and the same we can say when Porter playing with Juancho (MPJ is SF, Juancho is PF), with MPJ some minutes really playing at PF, which is no surprise for such tall guy and as we see so far, an elite rebounder.

About two weeks ago on another thread, I compared PER-36 minutes Denver stats, and warm everyone here to watch-up how good MPJ actually was, but due lack of the playing time it is under the radar.
THE J0KER wrote:The pretty unexpected look of Denver Nuggets PER 36 minutes stats so far this season
In red are warnings, and in Yellow are praises.

I blacklisted Jokic and Grant, but the fact is in the last two weeks their form very improve. I praised MPJ despite his worst +/-, because his per 36 minutes stats are great for a rookie, and it is not his fault he does not get enough playing time so far to become a true part of the team. Jokic and Murray numbers should improve, and Grant and Beasley from the bench too, but I'm not sure will Millsap will hold this insane 3pt% and FT% high percentages, or Barton this level of the game. Sad to see Gary Harris this mediocre in the offense, but I did not blacklist him because he was pure gold on the defensive end this season, which you can't see from these raw stats.

In the meantime, two of our starters have problems with injuries, so MPJ playing time increased in December, and he improved even more, so today I prepared PER-36 minutes stats for December only (actually until DEC-30) for all under-21 notable NBA players which played at least 100 minutes in this month, which include even some guys from 2017 draft, like Tatum, which are still under 21 old:

For most of these columns, MPJ was not just good but extraordinary good! But thanks to miserable playing time so far he is under the radar even in his rookie class. We all know his medical past, so even with the awesome play, I would not give him to play (much) more than 25 minutes, but 20-25mpg range since the early start of 2020 should be mandatory in MPJ case, to be ready for the playoff as a notable contributor.
KKP
Freshman
And1: 3

Post#64 » by KKP » Wed Jan 1, 2020 6:06 pm

MP needs to trade while having value for All Star..Beasley is more productive because he can accelerate, which is very important for spot up players .. He needs to be provided with clean calls z like Booker,no sense of space and depth nor approximate J-JM, its role must be less ..
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,056

Post#65 » by NuggetsWY » Wed Jan 1, 2020 9:20 pm

Thinking about the title of this thread:

Fans are ready
Porter looks ready
It looks like Malone's about ready

Let's rock and roll

Sent from my moto g(7) power using RealGM mobile app
THE J0KER
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Forum Mod - Nuggets

Post#66 » by THE J0KER » Fri Jan 3, 2020 3:25 am

FG 8-10 vs Sacramento, 11-12 vs Indiana, look what happens when he finally gets to play over 20 minutes (26m-19p and 23m-25p)!
His percentages since December are 57/45/86, but still playing just 11mpg!? From precaution reasons, I would not risk over 25+ mpg this first season with him, but 20mpg should be a minimum!

skywalker33
Nuggets Forum Mock Draft Champ
And1: 5,253

Post#67 » by skywalker33 » Fri Jan 3, 2020 3:57 am

Slowly building some confidence, his efficiency was impressive as well. Going forward, looking forward to seeing a line of Bol-Jokic-MPJ :o :o :o
Texas Chuck wrote:I'd like to see Utah, and Denver lose

Exactly as I've been saying all along !!
THE J0KER
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Forum Mod - Nuggets

Post#68 » by THE J0KER » Fri Jan 3, 2020 11:24 pm

Read on Twitter
skywalker33
Nuggets Forum Mock Draft Champ
And1: 5,253

Post#69 » by skywalker33 » Fri Jan 3, 2020 11:58 pm

Very much appearing like we have found our third of our Big 3. Hopefully this year we'll see continued growth out of MPJ, increased consistency from Murray and if luck has it, awareness of what a bit of better conditioning could bring from the Joker. I can see we'll make another strong playoff run this year, won't even dismiss the possibility of winning it all with some good health. Realistically next year appears to be when our dynasty will begin.

And how about that, 10,000 posts....MILESTONE !!
Texas Chuck wrote:I'd like to see Utah, and Denver lose

Exactly as I've been saying all along !!
TunaFish
Head Coach
And1: 5,773

Post#70 » by TunaFish » Sat Jan 4, 2020 1:16 am

MPJ has caught national media attention. NBA Rookie Power Rankings: Michael Porter Jr. climbs the rankings to claim the No. 1 spot:
https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/nba-rookie-power-rankings-michael-porter-jr-climbs-the-rankings-to-claim-the-no-1-spot/
Canned in Denver.
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#71 » by NuggetsWY » Sat Jan 4, 2020 1:54 pm

and know we are seeing what we believed - he could be something special (although we need to see a couple of years - maybe)
and of course now everyone's going to want to trade scrapes for him "because he has injury issues" :lol:
FilNugsFan
Sophomore
And1: 255

Post#72 » by FilNugsFan » Sat Jan 4, 2020 3:13 pm

I'd like to believe that we'll be seeing more of MPJ from hereon. It's now all about staying healthy and improving defensively. No need to mention about his scoring because he's simply a walking mismatch on the offensive end.
TunaFish
Head Coach

Post#73 » by TunaFish » Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:42 pm

He is definitely in the regular rotation and often the first Nugget off the bench. Because they did not immediately move him into the starting lineup by mid January, I think they plan on him leading the bench scoring during the playoffs. They are looking for a strong bench rotation.

The big however is that the more minutes he gets, the more he may push himself into the starting lineup.
Canned in Denver.
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,338

Post#74 » by The Rebel » Sat Jan 18, 2020 4:01 pm

I think he is going to have to get better on defense before he gets put into the starting lineup, but right now he has firmly established he is the best scorer on the team and has to get minutes every night. I do think he has improved considerably at defense since the start of the season, so it would not surprise me if he is the starter by the end of the season.
THE J0KER
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Forum Mod - Nuggets

Post#75 » by THE J0KER » Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:13 pm

TunaFish
Head Coach

Post#76 » by TunaFish » Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:44 am

Read on Twitter
Canned in Denver.
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#77 » by NuggetsWY » Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:12 am

TunaFish wrote:
Read on Twitter

Wow!
THE J0KER
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Forum Mod - Nuggets

Post#78 » by THE J0KER » Sat Feb 1, 2020 11:53 am

“If Michael Porter is not a rising star in the NBA, I don’t know what the hell a rising star is,” Malone said per Mike Singer of the Denver Post.
Absolutely correct statement, but sorry, despite being Porter's coach, Malone is actually the last man on the Earth to say this!

Who else to blame because MPJ so far has only 11 career games with more than 20 minutes, only 4 with more than 25 minutes, and never played 30 minutes or more with just one career start?? And all that is not happen recently because Malone notices how monstrous-looking was MPJ per minute stats since the start of the season, but because 3 starters and 6th man are coincidently injured at the same time!

Look at Miami Heat roster playing time (I choose 32-15 playoff winning team) where rookie Tyler Hero mostly coming from the bench already has 37 games over 20 minutes, 27 over 25 minutes, 18 30+ games (even 40+ twice)! Or his teammate undrafted rookie Kendrick Nunn who gets starting job already during the preseason after few notable games, so he has 44 starts already, including 42 where he played over 20 minutes, 31 over 25 minutes, 20 30+ games, and even 5 40+! So Hero and Nunn Heat rookies will play in Rising Stars USA team, but not Michael Porter jr despite he is much better and talented than these two! So, who to blame?

At moments, despite so obvious potential, MPJ looks almost ridiculous due to lack of competitive level basketball experience (note that he missed college career too), but he learning so fast, especially on the defensive end! I will give one shocking example: in a career first 27 games (before January 8th), MPJ has only 3 career steals (I'm not joking), but since that he has 14 from 12 games, more than one per game! But arguably, the most impressive Porter stats so far are rebounds, because of his monster 51-43-80 percentages (even better since December) is what we expected. His height, speed, and brain make him already one of the best reboundings forwards in the game, and BTW, Malone can use him in the future as PF if he wants. According to basketball-reference, MPJ played so far 80% of playing time as PF, but that is not correct, because when they play together on the floor, they count MPJ as PF, Grant as SF, but the opposite is more correct. So, MPJ per position so far should be about 55-45 (SF vs PF), instead of 20-80.
TunaFish
Head Coach

Post#79 » by TunaFish » Sun Feb 2, 2020 3:37 am

THE J0KER wrote:
“If Michael Porter is not a rising star in the NBA, I don’t know what the hell a rising star is,” Malone said per Mike Singer of the Denver Post.
Absolutely correct statement, but sorry, despite being Porter's coach, Malone is actually the last man on the Earth to say this!

Who else to blame because MPJ so far has only 11 career games with more than 20 minutes, only 4 with more than 25 minutes, and never played 30 minutes or more with just one career start?? And all that is not happen recently because Malone notices how monstrous-looking was MPJ per minute stats since the start of the season, but because 3 starters and 6th man are coincidently injured at the same time!

I can't read minds but I have noticed that Malone likes to set up a consistent rotation. I agree MPJ looks like a star in the making but Barton is in the starting lineup ahead of him which limits minutes. It may also be Malone's plan for MPJ to settle into a bench slot as a big wing who brings scoring and rebounding off the bench. Lately, he has been finishing games and his minutes are rising quickly.

If Malone were to have everyone back by the playoffs, he would love to have a settled rotation with everyone on the same page. Starters are set and MPJ fits an important role from the bench, the primary 6th man. Everything changes if Malone has to move Barton to shooting guard more.
Canned in Denver.
Mac1958
Pro Prospect
And1: 333

Post#80 » by Mac1958 » Sun Feb 2, 2020 3:17 pm

TunaFish wrote:
THE J0KER wrote:

I can't read minds but I have noticed that Malone likes to set up a consistent rotation. I agree MPJ looks like a star in the making but Barton is in the starting lineup ahead of him which limits minutes. It may also be Malone's plan for MPJ to settle into a bench slot as a big wing who brings scoring and rebounding off the bench. Lately, he has been finishing games and his minutes are rising quickly.

If Malone were to have everyone back by the playoffs, he would love to have a settled rotation with everyone on the same page. Starters are set and MPJ fits an important role from the bench, the primary 6th man. Everything changes if Malone has to move Barton to shooting guard more.

I guess I understand the theory, and certainly having this kid coming off the bench is one helluva luxury.

But contacts don't last forever, and I assume this also recognizes that he'll be starting soon, if not next year. If he stays healthy and productive, another team will pay him a ton.

Return to Denver Nuggets