Around the NBA News and Notes

Moderators: VCfor3, SD2042

SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 2,413

Re: Around the NBA News and Notes 

Post#21 » by SD2042 » Sun Jan 5, 2020 2:31 pm

What on your minds with the latest talks between Detroit and ATL centering around Andre Drummond?

BAD

My thoughts is that it's a risk as Drummond is on the last year of his contract. He would be going to a team that's not going to the playoffs this year. He's been playing for a mediocre team in the Pistons for the majority of his career already. To have him traded to a rebuilding team with the risk of said rebuilding team to lose him for nothing will make ATL look stupid in the end.

GOOD

Drummond brings a true defensive center to a Hawks roster that's in great need of one. He and Trae could do well in the P&R sets. Rebounds department improves more to the Hawks favor along with post play offensively. New team and new environment may help bring some sense of revitalize energy to Drummond in some way. Drummond and Collins would bring more balance to the frontcourt tandem perhap a potential two-headed monster routine.
Whole Truth
Head Coach
And1: 3,679

Post#22 » by Whole Truth » Sun Jan 5, 2020 4:27 pm

SD2042 wrote:What on your minds with the latest talks between Detroit and ATL centering around Andre Drummond?

BAD

My thoughts is that it's a risk as Drummond is on the last year of his contract. He would be going to a team that's not going to the playoffs this year. He's been playing for a mediocre team in the Pistons for the majority of his career already. To have him traded to a rebuilding team with the risk of said rebuilding team to lose him for nothing will make ATL look stupid in the end.

GOOD

Drummond brings a true defensive center to a Hawks roster that's in great need of one. He and Trae could do well in the P&R sets. Rebounds department improves more to the Hawks favor along with post play offensively. New team and new environment may help bring some sense of revitalize energy to Drummond in some way. Drummond and Collins would bring more balance to the frontcourt tandem perhap a potential two-headed monster routine.

Depends on what is offered for Drummond.

Being an expiring contract himself there's value if Charlotte shed salary disguised as fillers.

Maybe Charlotte have confirmation from him & his agent he would be willing to stay etc.. I haven't really been following his availability..

If I was Charlotte I'd try throwing money behind Harrell. Who knows, maybe Charlotte uses Batum as the trade filler for Biz 27m expiring for that very reason to throw some money around in FA.
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 3,972

Post#23 » by VCfor3 » Sun Jan 5, 2020 5:59 pm

I just hope Atlanta doesn't overpay for Drummond due to pressure from ownership. They are struggling this year in part due to injuries/suspensions. Take your high pick, throw Drummond a massive offer this offseason, and continue to grow correctly.
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies

Post#24 » by VCfor3 » Sun Jan 5, 2020 6:00 pm

He's getting moved.
Read on Twitter
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies

Post#25 » by SD2042 » Sun Jan 5, 2020 8:54 pm

VCfor3 wrote:I just hope Atlanta doesn't overpay for Drummond due to pressure from ownership. They are struggling this year in part due to injuries/suspensions. Take your high pick, throw Drummond a massive offer this offseason, and continue to grow correctly.

The part that concerns me is the contract that Drummond is about to end after the season. It's a risk for ATL to take given their current position. Another thing for ATL, they have to be careful jumping ahead of their rebuild. Otherwise, they screw this up, it will cost a bit.

If they are intent on going after a center to help Trae and the others out, they need to go after a center with a solid or long term contract. A player who is worth investing and is reliable skills set and chemistry wise. Players I would take a look at:

KAT
Steven Adams
Cody Zeller
Dwayne Dedmon
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies

Post#26 » by SD2042 » Sun Jan 5, 2020 8:58 pm

VCfor3 wrote:He's getting moved.
Read on Twitter

If you had to guess where KLove goes, what's the place?

Mines is Miami. At least with Miami, he will be around some defensive presence to mask his defensive liabilities in the frontcourt. Plus adding KLove will help bolster the Heat's offensive output on the roster.
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies

Post#27 » by VCfor3 » Sun Jan 5, 2020 9:03 pm

SD2042 wrote:
Read on Twitter

If you had to guess where KLove goes, what's the place?

Mines is Miami. At least with Miami, he will be around some defensive presence to mask his defensive liabilities in the frontcourt. Plus adding KLove will help bolster the Heat's offensive output on the roster.

Miami is a good guess but they were trying to keep their cap sheet clean so that they could make a run at a max FA in the summer of 2021. Love would mess with that.

I really don't see any great landing spot for him due to his contract. Portland could but I think they may just take the L this season and try again next season due to all their injuries. Pheonix if they wanted could do something based around Tyler's expiring contract assuming they don't see themselves as a FA destination. I don't know if there is a team that could trade for him that thinks they are one Kevin Love away from whatever they are hoping to achieve.
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies

Post#28 » by SD2042 » Sun Jan 5, 2020 9:42 pm

Injuries have messed up Portland this season. Although they are in the fight for the last two playoff spots, I'm not 100% certain if it's all worth it just to get bounce out of the first round. Sure KLove could fit in Portland, but to me they need more defensive help as they have overly exposed this season. That's one of the reasons why I do not see him in Portland.

As for Miami, they are looking to get under the luxury taxes. The move I was considering is Johnson, Winslow and Okpala for KLove None of the Miami players have expiring contracts until next season with James Johnson.

If Miami are pressing to get from under the taxes this season to avoid being repeat offenders, I would check into Toronto and see if they are willing to do one of these trades

Olynyk, Waiters, and a 2022 FRP pick lottery protected for Gasol and a 2023 SRP

or

Waiters, Leonard, 2022 FRP pick lottery protected for Ibaka and a 2023 SRP

Bringing back cap space and vet experience will help the Heat get out from under the tax.

Or they go to Dallas:

Waiters and Okpala for Lee and the 2020 GSW SRP

Expiring contract for the Heat. The Mavs can active the stretch provision on Waiters and kick the tires on Okpala.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#29 » by Whole Truth » Mon Jan 6, 2020 10:52 am

SD2042 wrote:Injuries have messed up Portland this season. Although they are in the fight for the last two playoff spots, I'm not 100% certain if it's all worth it just to get bounce out of the first round. Sure KLove could fit in Portland, but to me they need more defensive help as they have overly exposed this season. That's one of the reasons why I do not see him in Portland.

As for Miami, they are looking to get under the luxury taxes. The move I was considering is Johnson, Winslow and Okpala for KLove None of the Miami players have expiring contracts until next season with James Johnson.

If Miami are pressing to get from under the taxes this season to avoid being repeat offenders, I would check into Toronto and see if they are willing to do one of these trades

or

Bringing back cap space and vet experience will help the Heat get out from under the tax.

Or they go to Dallas:

Expiring contract for the Heat. The Mavs can active the stretch provision on Waiters and kick the tires on Okpala.

The main reason Masai traded Delon & Jonas was they were facing extensions. He doesn't want additional salary like Waiters because his plan is to target Giannis in free agency. Gasol's declining play with Memphis was about his large expiring & defense, where Jonas offensive game wasn't being utilized on that roster. He & Ibaka total close to 50m in expiring value. Can't see either being moved for any long term salary.

I don't know how I read your earlier post as Charlotte & not Atlanta but I somehow did. IMO I actually think Love in Atlanta would be a better option. From his additional yrs/control to spacing to IQ to championship experience & veteran presence on a team that wants to take that next step … Atlanta are trying to emulate GSW's, they're monitoring Kat for his 3pt shooting, not defense but they already have experience & leadership.

Though Love is on the wrong side of his career, IMO he's still currently better/smarter than Kat even if the numbers state otherwise.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#30 » by Whole Truth » Mon Jan 6, 2020 2:26 pm

ESPN’s Tim MacMahon then added that the Sixers are looking for more shooters with playmaking ability to help the team’s moribund offense ahead of the February 6 trade deadline. MacMahon wrote:
The Sixers’ poor spacing is of particular concern, especially for Embiid. Sources say the Sixers will search the trade market for perimeter shooting threats with playmaking ability, a need that was apparent as Philadelphia went 6-of-27 from 3-point range Friday night.

https://sixerswire.usatoday.com/2020/01/04/report-sixers-in-trade-market-for-shooters-with-playmaking-ability/

I know where they can find a proven 3&D point forward champion.

If Philly would entertain trading Horford, I'm thinking 3 team deal with Atlanta

Trade format

Memphis trade - Iggy for filler, pick asset from Atlanta

Atlanta trade - one of their shooters of Phillies interest, filler, Bruno, pick for Horford

Philly trade - Horford & his long term mistake deal for Iggy & his expiring, shooter, Bruno from Atlanta.
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies

Post#31 » by VCfor3 » Mon Jan 6, 2020 2:26 pm

I think Toronto would trade for Waiters. They want cap space in 2021 to get Giannis. Waiters expires in time for that. Now they need incentive to take on Waiters and I doubt the Heat provide enough to make it worth it to them, but as long as the deals aren't longer than 2 years (including this year) then Toronto should be open to potential trades.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#32 » by Whole Truth » Mon Jan 6, 2020 2:32 pm

VCfor3 wrote:I think Toronto would trade for Waiters. They want cap space in 2021 to get Giannis. Waiters expires in time for that. Now they need incentive to take on Waiters and I doubt the Heat provide enough to make it worth it to them, but as long as the deals aren't longer than 2 years (including this year) then Toronto should be open to potential trades.

Didn't realize that, for some reason I was thinking they wanted no less than 1yr.

None the less, I think they would be taking a risk to mess with their chemistry by adding Waiters. All it takes is one bad orange to taint a glass of juice.
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies

Post#33 » by VCfor3 » Mon Jan 6, 2020 3:07 pm

Whole Truth wrote:
VCfor3 wrote:I think Toronto would trade for Waiters. They want cap space in 2021 to get Giannis. Waiters expires in time for that. Now they need incentive to take on Waiters and I doubt the Heat provide enough to make it worth it to them, but as long as the deals aren't longer than 2 years (including this year) then Toronto should be open to potential trades.

Didn't realize that, for some reason I was thinking they wanted no less than 1yr.

None the less, I think they would be taking a risk to mess with their chemistry by adding Waiters. All it takes is one bad orange to taint a glass of juice.

For sure. I think they'd just waive Waiters and eat his salary.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#34 » by Whole Truth » Mon Jan 6, 2020 3:15 pm

VCfor3 wrote:
Whole Truth wrote:

Waiters was being sat, he was then suspended for 6 games before being activated. I think they need his salary to fill a potential trade, If that fails to materialize, then I think he will be waived.
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies

Post#35 » by SD2042 » Mon Jan 6, 2020 4:44 pm

Whole Truth wrote:
VCfor3 wrote:
Whole Truth wrote:

Waiters was being sat, he was then suspended for 6 games before being activated. I think they need his salary to fill a potential trade, If that fails to materialize, then I think he will be waived.

That's sums up the point of the trade options I created between T-Dot and MIA and or DAL. Waiters has one more year left in his contract. He can either play or they do the stretch provision on Waiters if necessary. Given his behavioral history, I would suggest keep him off the team and into several therapy sessions. The Heat are facing the repeater taxes issues this season. Moves like this are pivotal for them to make this season.

Whole Truth wrote:ESPN’s Tim MacMahon then added that the Sixers are looking for more shooters with playmaking ability to help the team’s moribund offense ahead of the February 6 trade deadline. MacMahon wrote:
The Sixers’ poor spacing is of particular concern, especially for Embiid. Sources say the Sixers will search the trade market for perimeter shooting threats with playmaking ability, a need that was apparent as Philadelphia went 6-of-27 from 3-point range Friday night.

https://sixerswire.usatoday.com/2020/01/04/report-sixers-in-trade-market-for-shooters-with-playmaking-ability/

I know where they can find a proven 3&D point forward champion.

If Philly would entertain trading Horford, I'm thinking 3 team deal with Atlanta

Trade format

Memphis trade - Iggy for filler, pick asset from Atlanta

Atlanta trade - one of their shooters of Phillies interest, filler, Bruno, pick for Horford

Philly trade - Horford & his long term mistake deal for Iggy & his expiring, shooter, Bruno from Atlanta.

One deal I heard recently had a lot to do with C.J. McCollum for Horford between the Blazers and Sixers. C.J. gives the Sixers the shooter/scorer they need. Horford beefs up the Blazers frontline, in-spite of the age factor.

Here are other shooters or scorers link to the Sixers

D.Rose
D.Bertans
L. Galloway
A. Burks
Kieff Morris
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies

Post#36 » by SD2042 » Mon Jan 6, 2020 5:28 pm

Whole Truth wrote:
SD2042 wrote:Injuries have messed up Portland this season. Although they are in the fight for the last two playoff spots, I'm not 100% certain if it's all worth it just to get bounce out of the first round. Sure KLove could fit in Portland, but to me they need more defensive help as they have overly exposed this season. That's one of the reasons why I do not see him in Portland.

or

Or they go to Dallas:

The main reason Masai traded Delon & Jonas was they were facing extensions. He doesn't want additional salary like Waiters because his plan is to target Giannis in free agency. Gasol's declining play with Memphis was about his large expiring & defense, where Jonas offensive game wasn't being utilized on that roster. He & Ibaka total close to 50m in expiring value. Can't see either being moved for any long term salary.

I don't know how I read your earlier post as Charlotte & not Atlanta but I somehow did. IMO I actually think Love in Atlanta would be a better option. From his additional yrs/control to spacing to IQ to championship experience & veteran presence on a team that wants to take that next step … Atlanta are trying to emulate GSW's, they're monitoring Kat for his 3pt shooting, not defense but they already have experience & leadership.

Though Love is on the wrong side of his career, IMO he's still currently better/smarter than Kat even if the numbers state otherwise.

To me, Love's latest tantrums may grow worse if he finds himself traded to the rebuilding Hawks. Not a good trading strategy in my book. What KLove really should've done in the first place was to get with his agent and have the Cavs work out a S&T deal and all of this tantrum drama could've been avoided in the first place.

With KAT, unlike Love, he has offensive prowess is getting close to his prime years. His defensive liabilities can be covered by John Collins. Both guys are dependable in and around the perimeter and post to keep the Hawks offense on point. KAT at this point is not a player for the Wolves to build around as he doesn't have that pure aggressive force within that says " I'm the alpha male" I'm the gravitation point of the team." Rally with me and I will get you there." type of attitude. With the Hawks it seems like Trae has that attitude. KAT makes great numbers. He would make for a better "Robin" than he would a "Batman" in this case. That deal really needs to happen.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#37 » by Whole Truth » Mon Jan 6, 2020 10:56 pm

SD2042 wrote:
Whole Truth wrote:

or

Or they go to Dallas:

To me, Love's latest tantrums may grow worse if he finds himself traded to the rebuilding Hawks. Not a good trading strategy in my book. What KLove really should've done in the first place was to get with his agent and have the Cavs work out a S&T deal and all of this tantrum drama could've been avoided in the first place.

With KAT, unlike Love, he has offensive prowess is getting close to his prime years. His defensive liabilities can be covered by John Collins. Both guys are dependable in and around the perimeter and post to keep the Hawks offense on point. KAT at this point is not a player for the Wolves to build around as he doesn't have that pure aggressive force within that says " I'm the alpha male" I'm the gravitation point of the team." Rally with me and I will get you there." type of attitude. With the Hawks it seems like Trae has that attitude. KAT makes great numbers. He would make for a better "Robin" than he would a "Batman" in this case. That deal really needs to happen.

I think he;s pulling a Vince Carter, is forcing his way out & his tantrums are purposeful.
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies

Post#38 » by SD2042 » Mon Jan 6, 2020 10:59 pm

Whole Truth wrote:
SD2042 wrote:
Whole Truth wrote:

I think he;s pulling a Vince Carter, is forcing his way out & his tantrums are purposeful.

Without question it's all intentional. Since when has KLove has ever pulled such behavioral stunts to this level? It's mere comical at best. He's also pulling his value down to some degree if he thinks it's going to get him out of Cleveland faster. Either way it's a trade coming his way. I'm thinking Miami here.
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies

Post#39 » by SD2042 » Wed Jan 8, 2020 8:40 am

Read on Twitter

There was some claim it could been a slant at the coach. Apparently there been some heat coming his way due to some of his college methods he's applying to the Cavs players and some of them not agreeing with his way of thinking.

https://larrybrownsports.com/basketball/cavs-players-unhappy-with-john-beilein/527075

Miserable times to be a fan of the Cavs.
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies

Post#40 » by SD2042 » Wed Jan 8, 2020 5:12 pm

VCfor3 wrote:I just hope Atlanta doesn't overpay for Drummond due to pressure from ownership. They are struggling this year in part due to injuries/suspensions. Take your high pick, throw Drummond a massive offer this offseason, and continue to grow correctly.

I'm with you on that. If ATL thinks Drummond is the way to go, then so be it. I hope they don't overshoot the trade value and keep in mind of his contractual situation. I think Drum could be better fit on a team like the Mavs. A move for him puts KP back in his original PF position. Plus brings more offense balance to the Mavs front court between Drum and KP. Plus both of them can be two-headed monsters on the boards and on defense.

Return to Memphis Grizzlies