Marcus Morris Drawing Interesting From Sixers, Clippers

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 292

Marcus Morris Drawing Interesting From Sixers, Clippers 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Mon Jan 6, 2020 12:10 am

The Los Angeles Clippers and Philadelphia 76ers are interested in trading for Marcus Morris, league sources told Marc Berman of the New York Post.

Morris said that he was unaffected by the trade rumors.

“I’m a vet in this game. That s–t doesn’t bother me anymore. Rumors are rumors. Look, I told you before I’m in New York and love being here. I’m excited to help to turn this around. I’m not paying that any mind. I’m focused on what we got going on in this locker room," said Morris.

Morris signed a 1-year, $15 million deal with the Knicks last offseason.

Morris is averaging 19.1 points and 5.5 rebounds on the season.

Via Marc Berman/New York Post

Elnegron
Rookie
And1: 366

Re: Marcus Morris Drawing Interesting From Sixers, Clippers 

Post#2 » by Elnegron » Mon Jan 6, 2020 12:33 am

Why 76ers interested in every player they can't get?. They have 0 flexibility. Nobody is gonna get AL horrors even for 2 first round picks
DCRYsing89
Starter
And1: 718

Post#3 » by DCRYsing89 » Mon Jan 6, 2020 12:48 am

Elnegron wrote:Why 76ers interested in every player they can't get?. They have 0 flexibility. Nobody is gonna get AL horrors even for 2 first round picks

Tobias Harris for Marcus Morris, DSJ, Bullock

Who says no?
After your first, you change, you mature, you dont just jump into things.

After getting dunked on for the first time, life becomes complex.
deeps6x
General Manager
And1: 5,881

Post#4 » by deeps6x » Mon Jan 6, 2020 1:18 am

I can't see why the clippers would want him. Best case is the Cavs really want to move on from that Love extension and they do a Love for Morris and Portis deal.
BoyzNTheHood wrote:I apologize, I have incredibly small genitalia
LewisnotMiller
Analyst
And1: 3,235

Post#5 » by LewisnotMiller » Mon Jan 6, 2020 1:27 am

DCRYsing89 wrote:
Elnegron wrote:Why 76ers interested in every player they can't get?. They have 0 flexibility. Nobody is gonna get AL horrors even for 2 first round picks

Tobias Harris for Marcus Morris, DSJ, Bullock

Who says no?

Still short on cash, though (10 million, ball park)
HotelVitale
RealGM
And1: 9,799

Post#6 » by HotelVitale » Mon Jan 6, 2020 2:50 am

LewisnotMiller wrote:
DCRYsing89 wrote:

Tobias Harris for Marcus Morris, DSJ, Bullock Who says no?

No it isn't, contracts don't need to match 100%, and those three players would be at about $24m which is enough to make the trade legal (esp since the Sixers are under the tax and would remain so after the trade)

But Sixers say no--the whole reason for overpaying Harris was that this was the last year in which they could use cap space (before the Ben Simmons extension kicks in), and they needed him to agree to re-sign early so they could keep him to his cap-hold figure and make use of the extra space (which they used on Horford). Morris is worse than him and isn't particularly valuable as an expiring to the Sixers, so Sixers would just roll with Harris.
TheCage4
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 518

Post#7 » by TheCage4 » Mon Jan 6, 2020 3:13 am

Morris should be traded- and if the Clips are a suitor, I want Harkless in return.

Bring the St John’s product back home!
“And where once you had the freedom to object, to think and speak as you saw fit, you now have censors and systems of surveillance coercing your conformity and soliciting your submission.” -Alan Moore
LewisnotMiller
Analyst

Post#8 » by LewisnotMiller » Mon Jan 6, 2020 7:43 am

HotelVitale wrote:
LewisnotMiller wrote:
DCRYsing89 wrote:Tobias Harris for Marcus Morris, DSJ, Bullock Who says no?

No it isn't, contracts don't need to match 100%, and those three players would be at about $24m which is enough to make the trade legal (esp since the Sixers are under the tax and would remain so after the trade)

But Sixers say no--the whole reason for overpaying Harris was that this was the last year in which they could use cap space (before the Ben Simmons extension kicks in), and they needed him to agree to re-sign early so they could keep him to his cap-hold figure and make use of the extra space (which they used on Horford). Morris is worse than him and isn't particularly valuable as an expiring to the Sixers, so Sixers would just roll with Harris.

Sorry, it's short (although nowhere near as much as my guess).

Those three Knicks are just under 23.5 million, whilst Harris' extension puts him at just over 32.7 million.
A legal trade has to be less than 125% + 100k.

Comes to just under 29.5 million. Harris can be traded after the 15th of this month (due to the extension).

Obviously it's easy enough to add another player to match salary, but he'd need to make just over 3 million. Alonzo Trier, let's say.
But you'd still have an issue, since a 4 for 1 swap is going to cause issues due to roster spots.

I totally agree they should roll with Harris anyway. He's a good player, just overpaid.
spree2kawhi
RealGM
And1: 3,820

Post#9 » by spree2kawhi » Mon Jan 6, 2020 9:41 am

Only interesting players are Simons, Skal and Josh Richardson really. I wonder if you can find workable deals with those teams.
Vegeta10176
Sixth Man
And1: 243

Post#10 » by Vegeta10176 » Mon Jan 6, 2020 10:02 am

Does Morris have a no trade clause due to the current CBA since he signed a 1 year deal? Even so surely you would be ok going to a better team.. What would Philly have to do to fit him though is he really what they need i kind of doubt it he is pretty decent three point shooter but they need an elite one and a ball handler.. Philly roster construction has been so bad.. First the trade up for fultz then the trade for Tobias Harris.. The trade for Butler was ok.. Then adding Horford who is not really what they needed.. They had time too Simmons and Embiid were young but they have now handicapped themselves for the future..
HotelVitale
RealGM
And1: 9,799

Post#11 » by HotelVitale » Mon Jan 6, 2020 3:05 pm

LewisnotMiller wrote:
HotelVitale wrote:
LewisnotMiller wrote: Still short on cash, though (10 million, ball park)

No it isn't, contracts don't need to match 100%, and those three players would be at about $24m which is enough to make the trade legal (esp since the Sixers are under the tax and would remain so after the trade) But Sixers say no--the whole reason for overpaying Harris was that this was the last year in which they could use cap space (before the Ben Simmons extension kicks in), and they needed him to agree to re-sign early so they could keep him to his cap-hold figure and make use of the extra space (which they used on Horford). Morris is worse than him and isn't particularly valuable as an expiring to the Sixers, so Sixers would just roll with Harris.
Sorry, it's short (although nowhere near as much as my guess). Those three Knicks are just under 23.5 million, whilst Harris' extension puts him at just over 32.7 million. A legal trade has to be less than 125% + 100k. Comes to just under 29.5 million. Harris can be traded after the 15th of this month (due to the extension). Obviously it's easy enough to add another player to match salary, but he'd need to make just over 3 million. Alonzo Trier, let's say. But you'd still have an issue, since a 4 for 1 swap is going to cause issues due to roster spots.
You're right but the gap is smaller: Harris' extension is almost exactly $31m this year, and 125% of the Knicks' contracts is $29.4m, so they just need to throw in a small expiring. (Also the Knicks have tons of expirings whom they don't have any need for and the Sixers can immediately cut whatever extra guys come over, so there are plenty of options if the teams did want to deal.)
Not2BeBothered
Junior
And1: 314

Post#12 » by Not2BeBothered » Mon Jan 6, 2020 4:23 pm

HotelVitale wrote:
LewisnotMiller wrote:
HotelVitale wrote:No it isn't, contracts don't need to match 100%, and those three players would be at about $24m which is enough to make the trade legal (esp since the Sixers are under the tax and would remain so after the trade) But Sixers say no--the whole reason for overpaying Harris was that this was the last year in which they could use cap space (before the Ben Simmons extension kicks in), and they needed him to agree to re-sign early so they could keep him to his cap-hold figure and make use of the extra space (which they used on Horford). Morris is worse than him and isn't particularly valuable as an expiring to the Sixers, so Sixers would just roll with Harris.
Sorry, it's short (although nowhere near as much as my guess). Those three Knicks are just under 23.5 million, whilst Harris' extension puts him at just over 32.7 million. A legal trade has to be less than 125% + 100k. Comes to just under 29.5 million. Harris can be traded after the 15th of this month (due to the extension). Obviously it's easy enough to add another player to match salary, but he'd need to make just over 3 million. Alonzo Trier, let's say. But you'd still have an issue, since a 4 for 1 swap is going to cause issues due to roster spots.
You're right but the gap is smaller: Harris' extension is almost exactly $31m this year, and 125% of the Knicks' contracts is $29.4m, so they just need to throw in a small expiring. (Also the Knicks have tons of expirings whom they don't have any need for and the Sixers can immediately cut whatever extra guys come over, so there are plenty of options if the teams did want to deal.)

Idk y y’all entertaining this like the 76ers are going to trade Tobias.
Blockwatcher
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,174

Post#13 » by Blockwatcher » Mon Jan 6, 2020 6:59 pm

A late 1st and salary match gets the job done
1 John 2 : 15-17
LewisnotMiller
Analyst

Post#14 » by LewisnotMiller » Mon Jan 6, 2020 8:51 pm

HotelVitale wrote:
LewisnotMiller wrote:
HotelVitale wrote:No it isn't, contracts don't need to match 100%, and those three players would be at about $24m which is enough to make the trade legal (esp since the Sixers are under the tax and would remain so after the trade) But Sixers say no--the whole reason for overpaying Harris was that this was the last year in which they could use cap space (before the Ben Simmons extension kicks in), and they needed him to agree to re-sign early so they could keep him to his cap-hold figure and make use of the extra space (which they used on Horford). Morris is worse than him and isn't particularly valuable as an expiring to the Sixers, so Sixers would just roll with Harris.

Cool...just for future reference though, this is where I got the 32.7 from for the extension, rightly or wrongly...

https://www.spotrac.com/nba/philadelphia-76ers/tobias-harris-8070/
LewisnotMiller
Analyst

Post#15 » by LewisnotMiller » Mon Jan 6, 2020 8:54 pm

Not2BeBothered wrote:
HotelVitale wrote:
LewisnotMiller wrote: Sorry, it's short (although nowhere near as much as my guess). Those three Knicks are just under 23.5 million, whilst Harris' extension puts him at just over 32.7 million. A legal trade has to be less than 125% + 100k. Comes to just under 29.5 million. Harris can be traded after the 15th of this month (due to the extension). Obviously it's easy enough to add another player to match salary, but he'd need to make just over 3 million. Alonzo Trier, let's say. But you'd still have an issue, since a 4 for 1 swap is going to cause issues due to roster spots.

Idk y y’all entertaining this like the 76ers are going to trade Tobias.

No chance, I think.
But it is hard to remake this team in a meaningful way, so spitballing Harris/Simmons/Embiid trades...as unlikely as any of them is...is what happens.

Return to Wiretap Discussion