ImageImageImageImageImage

Garrison Mathews - Professional Shooter

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,525

Re: Garrison Mathews 

Post#21 » by closg00 » Sat Jan 4, 2020 7:54 pm

How do the bird rights work with two-way players exactly? Admiral has a partially guaranteed 3-year? contract, but Garrison is on a two-way, between the two guys, Matthews is the keeper.
BearlyBallin
Sixth Man
And1: 594

Post#22 » by BearlyBallin » Sat Jan 4, 2020 8:46 pm

closg00 wrote:How do the bird rights work with two-way players exactly? Admiral has a partially guaranteed 3-year? contract, but Garrison is on a two-way, between the two guys, Matthews is the keeper.

From the Gary Payton thread:
popper wrote:
nate33 wrote:
popper wrote:I think I read somewhere that if you sign a player from the G league you have some sort of Bird rights on him when his contract ends. Does anyone know whether or not this is true?

I never heard of it.

It doesn't really matter, we will have several avenues to resign him.

We could sign him to a minimum salary contract, if that's all it costs to keep him.

We could use our non-Bird Rights which would allow us to sign him to 120% of this year's vet minimum salary - which would be more than what many other teams offering only the minimum salary exception could offer.

We could use our Bi-Annual Exception, which pays up to $3.8M.

We could use our MLE, which pays up to about $9.5M.

Interesting. Regarding our two way players, I found this:

Do players on two-way contracts accrue Bird rights?

Yes. Players accrue Bird rights (toward free agency) while on two-way contracts, and they are subject to restricted free agency at the end of their contracts if they were called up by the parent NBA team for at least 15 days of the previous season.
Bird rights allow teams to go over the cap to retain certain players. While two-way contract players might not initially seem like a pivotal player to a team’s future success, a diamond in the rough could be discovered and these rights could certainly be beneficial. Think of a player like Jonathon Simmons for the San Antonio Spurs — when initially signed they likely did not expect him to morph into the amazing role player he is now. These benefits will come in handy for situations like this.

https://2ways10days.com/nba-two-way-contracts-faq-70d1c9cbbe9

Hope this helps.
Tsze-Kung asked, "Is there one word which may serve as a rule of practice for all one's life?"

The Master said, "Is not Reciprocity such a word? What you do not want done to yourself, do not do to others."
~ Confucius about 500 BC
tontoz
RealGM
And1: 3,925

Post#23 » by tontoz » Sat Jan 4, 2020 9:23 pm

Small sample obviously but on the season his TS is 78.4%. :lol:
"bulky agile perimeter bone crunch pick setting draymond green" WizD
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,868

Post#24 » by payitforward » Sun Jan 5, 2020 2:08 am

I love that we are worrying bird rights on a guy who has played 172 minutes! :) Gotta be record speed, no?
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
payitforward
RealGM

Post#25 » by payitforward » Sun Jan 5, 2020 2:21 am

tontoz wrote:Small sample obviously but on the season his TS is 78.4%. :lol:

He's taken 36 3-pointers & made 17 of them. I think we can conclude that Mathews can make at least the open 3 in the NBA at a very high rate. & he has hit at least some contested 3-point attempts.

He's had 27 FTAs & made 25 of them. I'm ok concluding that he's going to be a high % FT shooter.

OTOH, he's only taken seven 2-pointers -- & made 5 of them! :) It'd be fair to say that he may not continue to shoot 714% on those attempts.

Still... that 78.4% TS% may be on a small sample overall, but it does have a certain amount of believability attached to it.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#26 » by Ruzious » Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:58 am

Update from Rotoworld.com:

Garrison Mathews
SF, Washington Wizards

Garrison Mathews (sprained right ankle) is expected to miss "several weeks."
Mathews suffered an ugly injury vs. the Celtics and this is a positive update, since X-rays were negative and it appears there's no damage beyond a severe sprain. He was stepping up prior to the injury but is just a deep-league option.
Jan 9, 2020, 6:20 PM ET
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
payitforward
RealGM

Post#27 » by payitforward » Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:01 pm

Too bad for him to miss so much time. But, it looks like he'll be back in time to get to the max time with the team for a 2-way player. &, since we don't have a roster spot for him, we weren't going to convert him in any case.
gambitx777
General Manager
And1: 1,730

Post#28 » by gambitx777 » Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:26 pm

Well I think that Celtics game was 15 which I think is the number of games you have to play for a team on a two way deal for the team to have his bird rights. So we are probably going to keep him one way or the other.
payitforward wrote:Too bad for him to miss so much time. But, it looks like he'll be back in time to get to the max time with the team for a 2-way player. &, since we don't have a roster spot for him, we weren't going to convert him in any case.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using RealGM mobile app
payitforward
RealGM

Post#29 » by payitforward » Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:30 pm

Not "play" I don't think -- "spend with the team."

I don't think there's any "probably" about it; I think he'll be a Wizard next year if not some time this year -- & on a multi-year contract as well.
gambitx777
General Manager

Post#30 » by gambitx777 » Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:41 pm

Definitely have to sign this kid up! Yeah I thought the bird rights was games played and the rule with the converting the contract was time with the team. Might have been mistaken there.
payitforward wrote:Not "play" I don't think -- "spend with the team."

I don't think there's any "probably" about it; I think he'll be a Wizard next year if not some time this year -- & on a multi-year contract as well.

long suffrin' boulez fan
General Manager
And1: 3,464

Post#31 » by long suffrin' boulez fan » Sat Jan 11, 2020 4:49 am

gambitx777 wrote:Definitely have to lick this kid up!

Ooo. Gross.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using RealGM mobile app[/quote]
In Rizzo we trust
gambitx777
General Manager

Post#32 » by gambitx777 » Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:38 am

I mean depends on who you ask lol
long suffrin' boulez fan wrote:

Ooo. Gross.

[/quote]

TheBabyMaker
Starter
And1: 852

Post#33 » by TheBabyMaker » Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:57 am

gambitx777 wrote:I mean depends on who you ask lol
long suffrin' boulez fan wrote:

Ooo. Gross.

I'm sure the feminine capacity don't think so. He be out at least a month+ just like Mo Wags.
payitforward
RealGM

Post#34 » by payitforward » Thu Aug 20, 2020 8:12 pm

I'm bumping this thread, because a post from Zards made me think that we've probably forgotten what this kid did in his restricted chance to play as a rookie. Now... 230 minutes is not a meaningful sample size, but since Zards was praising Robinson for playing well in the bubble games -- where he posted a lot less than 230 minutes! -- I'd say it's worth being reminded of the way Garrison plays.

Here are his highlights vs. Portland on January 3:

Here are his highlights against the Heat:

Intensity, focus, confidence, toughness & can just plain shoot!

As a rookie, Garrison shot 41.3% on 3-pointers -- & he shot them at a good clip: over 8 per 40 minutes. For reference, Jerome Robinson took just under 7 threes per 40 minutes as a Wizard, going 34.9% on them.

Garrison got to the line 6 times per 40 minutes (2d on the team behind Brad) & made 91.2% of them. Jerome got to the line exactly 1/2 as often, shooting 76.3%

The result for Garrison was a 69.2% TS% -- one of the best in the league for a wing (as against 51.6% for Robinson -- way, way below average).

Jerome Robinson was a lottery pick; he will get multiple chances to show whether he can play. He's a Wizard, so I'm sure we all hope that the answer is "yes." So far, however, despite improvements, the answer is the opposite.

Mathews went undrafted. If he'd played like Robinson did as a rookie & a year 2 player, he'd be out of the league. But, he didn't play like Jerome Robinson.

He played like Duncan Robinson! & there is your true comp for Mathews. Duncan Robinson went #55 in 2018. He's a way way better player than Jerome Robinson, who went #13 the same year.

I look for Mathews to have a really strong NBA career. We'd be crazy not to tie him up for 3 years -- now.
DCZards
General Manager
And1: 3,969

Post#35 » by DCZards » Thu Aug 20, 2020 9:26 pm

I liked what I saw from Mathews in the limited minutes he played and I liked what I saw from Robinson in the bubble, where he played with more confidence.

Assuming both are with the Zards next season, I expect them to compete for minutes. As a Zards fan, I’m rooting for both to play well.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#36 » by Ruzious » Thu Aug 20, 2020 10:24 pm

Really can't compare him to Duncan Robinson - who's been outstanding all season long and is bigger than Mathews. I really like Mathews and root for him, but it concerns me that he has just ordinary numbers in the G League, and the Wiz felt the need to commit to Jerome Robinson as Beal's backup.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
payitforward
RealGM

Post#37 » by payitforward » Fri Aug 21, 2020 1:30 am

Of course, he isn't Duncan Robinson... now.... But Duncan Robinson is a model all the same. He's a kid who got no scholarship offers then was great at a Division III school & got an offer from Michigan, put up solid but not spectacular numbers there, & then was picked #55.

The numbers Garrison Mathews put up at Lipscomb were really mind-blowing. Then he showed up in the NBA & demonstrated a level of toughness & intensity & productivity that could not be ignored.

I don't know how good he'll be -- how could I know that? But, Zards comparing him and Robinson as if there was any comparison whatsoever between what the two guys did on the court, that they were in any way similar, in any way at all, does Mathews a disservice.

That's not Jerome Robinson's fault, & I want him to succeed -- why would I not want him to succeed?
DCZards
General Manager
And1: 3,969

Post#38 » by DCZards » Fri Aug 21, 2020 3:40 am

payitforward wrote:Of course, he isn't Duncan Robinson... now.... But Duncan Robinson is a model all the same. He's a kid who got no scholarship offers then was great at a Division III school & got an offer from Michigan, put up solid but not spectacular numbers there, & then was picked #55.

The numbers Garrison Mathews put up at Lipscomb were really mind-blowing. Then he showed up in the NBA & demonstrated a level of toughness & intensity & productivity that could not be ignored.

I don't know how good he'll be -- how could I know that? But, Zards comparing him and Robinson as if there was any comparison whatsoever between what the two guys did on the court, that they were in any way similar, in any way at all, does Mathews a disservice.

That's not Jerome Robinson's fault, & I want him to succeed -- why would I not want him to succeed?

Who said anything about Mathews and Robinson being “similar?” From what I’ve seen, they’re very different. Garrison (small sample size) is the much better 3pt shooter, while Jerome (also small sample size) is the better defender and playmaker. (Robinson had 6 and 7 assists in 2 of the last 3 bubble games when Napier was out and Robinson played some PG.)

Mathews and Robinson are different players. That’s why I’m eager to see which one earns playing time next season. Then again, neither may play much.
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,525

Post#39 » by closg00 » Fri Aug 21, 2020 2:05 pm

I like Mathews and his potential, but he's going to have to be successful coming off the bench, he looked better and more comfortable playing slightly extended minutes.
payitforward
RealGM

Post#40 » by payitforward » Fri Aug 21, 2020 10:07 pm

DCZards wrote:
payitforward wrote:Of course, he isn't Duncan Robinson... now.... But Duncan Robinson is a model all the same. He's a kid who got no scholarship offers then was great at a Division III school & got an offer from Michigan, put up solid but not spectacular numbers there, & then was picked #55.

Who said anything about Mathews and Robinson being “similar?” From what I’ve seen, they’re very different. Garrison (small sample size) is the much better 3pt shooter, while Jerome (also small sample size) is the better defender and playmaker. (Robinson had 6 and 7 assists in 2 of the last 3 bubble games when Napier was out and Robinson played some PG.)

Mathews and Robinson are different players. That’s why I’m eager to see which one earns playing time next season. Then again, neither may play much.

Correct -- I shouldn't have said "that they were in any way similar" -- rather I should have said "that they were in any way similar in their level play & productivity."

They weren't. Overall, in his 230 minutes of play, Garrison Mathews was outstanding. Not just for a guy who went undrafted. Not just for a rookie. In those minutes, overall, he was a way better than average NBA wing.

Overall, in his 500+ minutes of play as a Wizard, Jerome Robinson was awful. Not just a little awful but really terrible. Also in his almost 800 minutes of play for the Clippers earlier this season and as a rookie. Did he improve in the bubble? I don't doubt it. But improvement from the utterly putrid level of play Jerome Robinson laid down something like 1200 minutes of his career before the bubble really doesn't indicate anything.

In short, from every indication we have so far (which is all we can work with), Jerome Robinson isn't nearly as good a basketball player as Garrison Mathews. Not in the same universe of relative goodness as Garrison Mathews. & that is why I suggested they should not be in the same frame of comparison.

Indeed, how could they possibly be "similar?" How could a guy who has played extremely well be "similar" to a guy who has played extremely badly? Not possible.

Then again, nothing about Mathews will either help or hurt Robinson, & we all pull for the kid to get to where he earns NBA minutes -- by repaying them with productivity.

Garrison Mathews has done that; Jerome Robinson has not done that. Period.

Return to Washington Wizards