RS 19/20 - Jan. 14 Mavs at Golden State 10:30

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

leolozon
General Manager
And1: 7,724

Re: RS 19/20 - Jan. 14 Mavs at Golden State 10:30 

Post#41 » by leolozon » Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:25 am

Sara2009 wrote:
leolozon wrote:Usually Doncic is great against the Warriors.

His game has been off for a while. If he’s already tired, maybe he should take this job more seriously and get in shape.

I agree that he has a lot of things to work on, but who’s to say he’s not taking the job seriously? He came into the NBA out of shape, and it’s going to take a long time to get into shape.

How long does it take when your job for the past 4-5 years has been to be in shape? We’re not even at the half point of the regular season and his conditioning already appears to be a problem.

He doesn’t appear to have less fat than last year.

So while I think he’s taking basketball seriously, I don’t think he has been taking conditioning seriously.
DJ_3_Ball
Sixth Man
And1: 540

Post#42 » by DJ_3_Ball » Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:25 am

Sara2009 wrote:

His game has been off for a while. If he’s already tired, maybe he should take this job more seriously and get in shape.

I agree that he has a lot of things to work on, but who’s to say he’s not taking the job seriously? He came into the NBA out of shape, and it’s going to take a long time to get into shape.

All I know is his shooting #s are on par with DFS, but his shooting volume is damn near Harden-like.

It's not good. No one would want DFS shooting that much.

He has sloppy, careless TOs, and instead of getting his ass back on defense & making a play to get the ball back for his team... Nope! He's over there bitching at the referees.

I'd say there's plenty he could work on to start taking this more seriously. And it starts on the free throw line.
Imon
Head Coach
And1: 6,262

Post#43 » by Imon » Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:29 am

Boban is a ridiculously large human being.
BlueSan
Sixth Man
And1: 828

Post#44 » by BlueSan » Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:31 am

leolozon wrote:
Sara2009 wrote:

How long does it take when your job for the past 4-5 years has been to be in shape? We’re not even at the half point of the regular season and his conditioning already appears to be a problem.

So while I think he’s taking basketball seriously, I don’t think he has been taking conditioning seriously.

I agree that he is out of shape. But I dont agree that it is a reason for first 3 quarters poor play. Plus the guy sat out 2 weeks to heal his ankle. He aint fatigued
Sara2009
Sophomore
And1: 96

Post#45 » by Sara2009 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:33 am

BlueSan wrote:
leolozon wrote:
Sara2009 wrote:

I agree that he is out of shape. But I dont agree that it is a reason for first 3 quarters poor play. Plus the guy sat out 2 weeks to heal his ankle. He aint fatigued

Is it possible those 2 weeks really hurt his conditioning,though?
dirkforpres
RealGM
And1: 7,796

Post#46 » by dirkforpres » Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:40 am

The best player on the team has been way off all night and the 2nd best player is out. Even against a bad team like the Warriors, when both of those things happen and you still manage to eek out a win on the road it’s a good night
FIRE JASON KIDD
Imon
Head Coach
And1: 6,262

Post#47 » by Imon » Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:47 am

Mavs garbage time is basically a Boban and Barea buddy movie.
DJ_3_Ball
Sixth Man

Post#48 » by DJ_3_Ball » Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:48 am

dirkforpres wrote:The best player on the team has been way off all night and the 2nd best player is out. Even against a bad team like the Warriors, when both of those things happen and you still manage to eek out a win on the road it’s a good night

Yeah, it wasn't pretty, but I'll take it.
Sara2009
Sophomore
And1: 96

Post#49 » by Sara2009 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:54 am

DJ_3_Ball wrote:
dirkforpres wrote:The best player on the team has been way off all night and the 2nd best player is out. Even against a bad team like the Warriors, when both of those things happen and you still manage to eek out a win on the road it’s a good night

It was still a blowout.
DJ_3_Ball
Sixth Man

Post#50 » by DJ_3_Ball » Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:02 am

Sara2009 wrote:
DJ_3_Ball wrote:

It was still a blowout.

That was barely NBA basketball the Warriors trotted out there tonight. If the Mavs were locked in on the defensive end, they wouldn't of allowed over 80 points.

Is what it is. Just one of 82 that you scurry through just wanting to get the W & move on to the next one when it's a back-to-back. But, nobody needs to hurt themselves patting each other on the back over this one.

That's a very bad Warriors team. Very bad.
BlueSan
Sixth Man

Post#51 » by BlueSan » Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:32 am

Sara2009 wrote:
BlueSan wrote:
leolozon wrote:

No, in two weeks you are not 100% but you are not all of a sudden out of it or something
dirkules_41
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,843

Post#52 » by dirkules_41 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:01 am

Right can we stop bashing our 20 yo megastar phenom when he has a bad game or two? The kid is 20 and delivers ridiculous historic levels of performance most nights, give him a break. I'm sure you don't excel at the office 5 days a week.
With that being said we really really need KP back, Luka is clearly tired of not having him around and carrying all the load himself.
GaiusVelleius
Ballboy
And1: 39

Post#53 » by GaiusVelleius » Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:04 am

BlueSan wrote:
Sara2009 wrote:
BlueSan wrote:

No, in two weeks you are not 100% but you are not all of a sudden out of it or something
II thought it was noticeable, that those two weeks off, showed on his body composition. He clearly looked fitter before.

Sent from my GT-I8200N using RealGM mobile app
Dirk
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 35,604

Post#54 » by Dirk » Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:04 am

This was a good game in many ways but you wouldn't be able to tell it. It's kind of fascinating how only the negative peaks the interest.

After the Lakers game and the first half vs the Sixers, it looked like the team had lost its way. They fought back and had an amazing 2nd half vs PHI and now just took the Warriors very seriously and were really sharp blowing them out.

Good signs.

Brunson
Brunson's run in the 2Q was excellent. His passing was great...
Spoiler:
Gfycat Video - Click to Play

Then he didn't get back on the floor until the last 2 minutes of the 3Q.

Luka was playing drunk. Warriors making a little run. Brunson picked up right here he left off and proceed to just make the right plays.
Spoiler:

I fully expect Brunson to want out of the Mavs at some point. He is way too good to have this inconsistent of a role. Not a star. Maybe not even a starter around the league. But definitely much better than a guy that has inconsistent playing time. 13 minutes is an absolute joke.

Dirk wrote:Keys to the game
- deploy Powell's superhero version

Perfect, 9/9

Dirk wrote:Keys to the game
- feed Bobi

Sabonis

Dirk wrote:- humiliate Marquese Chriss no longer applies

Draymond Green works as well. The disrespect for him was hilarious here.

—Luka rare footage

C&S

Being nice to refs

Was it a foul

DFS beating a zone

NY 567 wrote:Doncic has looked off the last few games.

I know where you're coming from. But thing we're exaggerating a bit. Meaning, the bad stuff leads us to perceive things as being worse than they actually are. Some late game misses and then actual terrible games (say the Lakers the other day), just make things compound. My least favorite game from him was against the Nets.

This particular game is different. Mavs blew the other team out and at a certain point it just became a scrimmage for the Mavs. I don't even really care for it, although looking ahead, he actually should be more aware of when the team is playing well "without him", so he should just play within the team concept that was working --- 3q, he unnecessarily dribbled too much, decided to create on his own.

Mavs play Sacramento, unlikely that it's an easy game, so if he were to show up playing like he did yesterday, it'll really stick out.

leolozon wrote:

Think at times we forget that... the guy can play badly too. Some nights you just don't have it...

Sometimes I read "being tired" is an excuse. Like... when he plays badly he seems to be "always tired". I don't really buy that easy excuse. You can see him play terrible one quarter, then great the next.

So, it's more about "mentally" being locked in. At times he just isn't. That's clear.

As always ---Mavs weren't really supposed to be winning and Luka's game wasn't likely to be viewed under a microscope as much as we do it now...

Quick Recap
He was hurt and out for a bit. Was getting back into the flow. Then Mavs @ Lakers --- terrible game by everyone. Luka hits the floor hard. KP and THJ are out at the same time.

Things dramatically changed with the team here. The Mavs are scrambling around... we cannot ignore the drastic change in context.

Noticeably plays differently at OKC (he was playing at half speed because of his back it seemed). Mavs make an effort of getting another ball handler out there with him. They change the way they play. They are massively handicapped size wise and are just not playing well overall.

In this run you saw Bradley harass him, Kurucs look like the worlds best defender... the Mavs are severally handicapped and frustrations mount as they feel everything is against them, including refs.

Still, this was a 5 game run from Luka post that @LAL game and before the other Lakers game that everyone remembers from the other day.

Averaged 34 points, 11 rebounds, 8.8 assists, fg% .47, 3pt% .339

Mavs/Luka botched some late games. So I think this is what really triggers the generic perception of "looking badly/being off/etc". In reality, I think only the Nets game, the Sixers first half and the Lakers game were "bad".

Last 9 games
Off rtg with him 116.7, Net rtg +6.7 [the team tanked without him on the floor,speaks to the forced changes and the scrambling around]
TS% 54.8

If this is him at his 'worst', we good. I guess it just speaks to the lofty expectations that that we perceive him as really struggling and have some of those numbers. The mental and physical load he is carrying cannot be underestimated. There have been certain times where it felt he was too stressed out (mental/physical) and at a risk. You have to protect him from himself at times and be smart. Giving him a game or two off at certain points in the season wouldn't be the worst idea. Think it's likely we'll see worse sequences than this one.
60/21/10
BlueSan
Sixth Man

Post#55 » by BlueSan » Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:06 pm

dirkules_41 wrote:Right can we stop bashing our 20 yo megastar phenom when he has a bad game or two? The kid is 20 and delivers ridiculous historic levels of performance most nights, give him a break. I'm sure you don't excel at the office 5 days a week.
With that being said we really really need KP back, Luka is clearly tired of not having him around and carrying all the load himself.

Well, you know how it is, when you are compared to MVP you are expected to deliver at MVP level and when you don't...

So I think it comes with the territory and is justified
J_T
Veteran
And1: 1,843

Post#56 » by J_T » Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:40 pm

BlueSan wrote:
dirkules_41 wrote:Right can we stop bashing our 20 yo megastar phenom when he has a bad game or two? The kid is 20 and delivers ridiculous historic levels of performance most nights, give him a break. I'm sure you don't excel at the office 5 days a week.

Well, you know how it is, when you are compared to MVP you are expected to deliver at MVP level and when you don't...

No, that doesn't make sense, because it's not Luka who is claiming to be MVP. I have never seen any public announcement anywhere that would predict him actually winning the MVP. I don't think anyone around here said or thought he would be winning MVP. So this reasoning is just wrong.

With that said, for ME, this was actually his worst game of the season. You wanted to see how Luka looks when he is not losing his mind after every foul or missed shot? Well there you had it, you can watch it every time before you want to post him being a loose cannon. He just doesn't work that way. He runs on emotions.
I have 2 theories and I'm dead serious about both. The first one is that they drugged him. Gave him something to calm him down and maybe it was an overdose. Maybe they were reading this forum and said "we need to do something about it." The second theory is that something had happened to him outside of court, in private life, that was relatively very important. Nothing else actually makes sense to me.
fuller4379
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,486

Post#57 » by fuller4379 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:39 pm

Too bad the Mavs have the Warriors second round pick instead of their first.
XTraderXL
Sixth Man
And1: 1,342

Post#58 » by XTraderXL » Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:57 pm

J_T wrote:
BlueSan wrote:

No, that doesn't make sense, because it's not Luka who is claiming to be MVP. I have never seen any public announcement anywhere that would predict him actually winning the MVP. I don't think anyone around here said or thought he would be winning MVP. So this reasoning is just wrong.

With that said, for ME, this was actually his worst game of the season. You wanted to see how Luka looks when he is not losing his mind after every foul or missed shot? Well there you had it, you can watch it every time before you want to post him being a loose cannon. He just doesn't work that way. He runs on emotions.
I have 2 theories and I'm dead serious about both. The first one is that they drugged him. Gave him something to calm him down and maybe it was an overdose. Maybe they were reading this forum and said "we need to do something about it." The second theory is that something had happened to him outside of court, in private life, that was relatively very important. Nothing else actually makes sense to me.

The third option is actually the most probable. We have exactly the same pattern going on as in every of the last 2 seasons. Luka was great until somewhere mid/late January, then he fell off. The same thing is happening here. I wont go into why this is happening but it is a thing. I will change my opinion only if he can start playing at an MVP level again by the time playoffs roll around but history tells us he will keep struggling for the rest of the season.
leolozon
General Manager
And1: 7,724

Post#59 » by leolozon » Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:17 pm

It’s tough love and it’s what comes with high expectations. And it’s not one game, if it was I wouldn’t say anything, he has been subpar for 8 of the past 11 games, choking 3 times in the clutch.

I’m saying this because I think he’s already a MVP caliber player.

But I must say that he had 3 main things to work on for this season, and it’s not clear if he’s better in any of them: conditioning, 3pt shooting and FT shooting. It’s weird to not really see a progression.

Dirk wrote:Think at times we forget that... the guy can play badly too. Some nights you just don't have it...

Sometimes I read "being tired" is an excuse. Like... when he plays badly he seems to be "always tired". I don't really buy that easy excuse. You can see him play terrible one quarter, then great the next.

So, it's more about "mentally" being locked in. At times he just isn't. That's clear.

As always ---Mavs weren't really supposed to be winning and Luka's game wasn't likely to be viewed under a microscope as much as we do it now...

Quick Recap
He was hurt and out for a bit. Was getting back into the flow. Then Mavs @ Lakers --- terrible game by everyone. Luka hits the floor hard. KP and THJ are out at the same time.

Things dramatically changed with the team here. The Mavs are scrambling around... we cannot ignore the drastic change in context.

Noticeably plays differently at OKC (he was playing at half speed because of his back it seemed). Mavs make an effort of getting another ball handler out there with him. They change the way they play. They are massively handicapped size wise and are just not playing well overall.

In this run you saw Bradley harass him, Kurucs look like the worlds best defender... the Mavs are severally handicapped and frustrations mount as they feel everything is against them, including refs.

Still, this was a 5 game run from Luka post that @LAL game and before the other Lakers game that everyone remembers from the other day.

Averaged 34 points, 11 rebounds, 8.8 assists, fg% .47, 3pt% .339

Mavs/Luka botched some late games. So I think this is what really triggers the generic perception of "looking badly/being off/etc". In reality, I think only the Nets game, the Sixers first half and the Lakers game were "bad".

Last 9 games
Off rtg with him 116.7, Net rtg +6.7 [the team tanked without him on the floor,speaks to the forced changes and the scrambling around]
TS% 54.8

If this is him at his 'worst', we good. I guess it just speaks to the lofty expectations that that we perceive him as really struggling and have some of those numbers. The mental and physical load he is carrying cannot be underestimated. There have been certain times where it felt he was too stressed out (mental/physical) and at a risk. You have to protect him from himself at times and be smart. Giving him a game or two off at certain points in the season wouldn't be the worst idea. Think it's likely we'll see worse sequences than this one.

I don’t disagree with you. It’s clear that I changed my expectations and I am now tougher on him (I was expecting top 15-20 player at best this year) But he can be the best player in the league and I can’t unsee what I’ve seen.

He has been fading away since his ankle injury. And I’m starting to wonder is this is what we can expect for the rest of the year, atop 15-20 player instead of a top 5 player.
fuller4379
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,486

Post#60 » by fuller4379 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:45 pm

It could still be the ankle. Those bad ankle sprains take a long time to heal. Just because he is playing doesn’t mean he isn’t in pain.

Return to Dallas Mavericks