ImageImageImageImageImage

Kings General Discussion 2019-2020

Moderators: codydaze, KF10, City of Trees

sacking123
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,348

Re: Kings General Discussion 2019-2020 

Post#221 » by sacking123 » Tue Dec 31, 2019 11:02 am

Normally I wouldn't have much patience for these kinds of things because I believe things like system, philosophy etc is something that can be implemented rather quickly. For example I never once bought this idea that let's give the team time strictly because we have new players and a new coach.
As many have mentioned before, the Suns had a much bigger change over of players than us and they came out of the gates flying.

Having said that, the injuries do play havoc. But the rotations would have been even harder on the players if they didn't come along.
I mean realistically Walton is just over a third of his way through his first season as coach with this team so we need to give it a real chance. The only way there is another coach for the Kings is if Vlade gets fired.
The thing that I don't get with Walton is that he CLEARLY didn't know much about the current Kings players. If you got a job as an NBA head coach don't tell me you wouldn't be doing every bit of research on the current group, not to mention you should have known a fair bit anyway being an NBA head coach the season prior.
It doesn't matter what kind of system he wants to put in, he should have kept the run n gun for certain situations because Ws are more important at this stage of the Kings development. All he needs to do is give Fox/Buddy/Bogi/Barnes/Bagley a small amount of time together and say let's get the ball up the floor.
Use practise to do just that, but let's get Ws in the column first and foremost. He can still play slower, but there are times to put the foot down. That to me means he isn't a coach that can adjust. We were saying the same things about Joerger though so who knows, perhaps this is the year these guys were wanting to either just make the POs or late lottery at worst.
Sacramento Kings
Sydney Kings
sacking123
Assistant Coach

Post#222 » by sacking123 » Wed Jan 1, 2020 12:51 am

Looking at the past month. We have a record of 4-12.
What we "should" have been looking at is a record of 10-6 if we got the job done. That would have set our season up, but it's put it in a very dangerous position.
The next 4 games aren't just winnable they should be routine, but we know that's not the case at this moment in time.

Have faith, come on Boogie get on board, for the new year and month of January, because all it takes is 1 good month and we're right back in the thick of it. If we're not there around 6-8 seed by January 31, I will jump on the bandwagon, but until we close to that 50 game mark on February 1, I still think this team has a shot at playoffs.
Apologies for the upbeat post lol.
Sacramento Kings
Sydney Kings
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,462

Post#223 » by City of Trees » Wed Jan 1, 2020 5:33 pm

Mr. Fox is back.
Read on Twitter
blind prophet
RealGM
And1: 3,232

Post#224 » by blind prophet » Thu Jan 2, 2020 4:11 pm

simonbampfield wrote:Looking at the past month. We have a record of 4-12.
What we "should" have been looking at is a record of 10-6 if we got the job done. That would have set our season up, but it's put it in a very dangerous position.
The next 4 games aren't just winnable they should be routine, but we know that's not the case at this moment in time.

Have faith, come on Boogie get on board, for the new year and month of January, because all it takes is 1 good month and we're right back in the thick of it. If we're not there around 6-8 seed by January 31, I will jump on the bandwagon, but until we close to that 50 game mark on February 1, I still think this team has a shot at playoffs.
Apologies for the upbeat post lol.

Meh, worst record over the last 10 years by 19 games I believe. We never sell any assets or look to go for picks etc. I think we should look to move anything of value at this point.

That means Holmes, Bjelica, Bogi, possibly out. Embrace the tank/development. Try to get picks if possible for the next two drafts.

But it won't happen.
kalenclayton
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,716

Post#225 » by kalenclayton » Thu Jan 2, 2020 9:34 pm

I love this. I can’t stand when players publicly demand trades. It’s a bad look.
Read on Twitter
kalenclayton
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,716

Post#226 » by kalenclayton » Fri Jan 3, 2020 5:58 pm

I wouldn’t hate if the Kings picked this up and helped him get back up to speed. They could always waive him before his guarantee date in July, but It would be good optics and he would be a good fit on next season’s roster. Vlade was linked to him in the past.
Read on Twitter
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Post#228 » by City of Trees » Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:21 am

Kings mouthpiece has preached "ya gotta play defense to get minutes on this team" or you will ride the bench.

Well isnt it funny how Justin James will get the call when Luke goes offense/defense in timeout situations. Clearly there is some level of trust and acknowledgment with James' defense.

Why can't the rookie get regular minutes?

Luke is doing a disservice to the long term health of this team by sitting James for his old pal Ariza.

Did you guys see James ball out in the G League?

BoogieTime
Head Coach
And1: 2,760

Post#229 » by BoogieTime » Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:38 pm

City of Trees wrote:Kings mouthpiece has preached "ya gotta play defense to get minutes on this team" or you will ride the bench.

Well isnt it funny how Justin James will get the call when Luke goes offense/defense in timeout situations. Clearly there is some level of trust and acknowledgment with James' defense.

Luke is doing a disservice to the long term health of this team by sitting James for his old pal Ariza.

Infuriating

Washed up vets have no places over youth who have flashed potential on building teams

It’s really an annoying issue
sacking123
Assistant Coach

Post#230 » by sacking123 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:40 pm

BoogieTime wrote:
City of Trees wrote:Kings mouthpiece has preached "ya gotta play defense to get minutes on this team" or you will ride the bench.

Infuriating

Washed up vets have no places over youth who have flashed potential on building teams

It’s the same thing being played out here time and time again.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
Sacramento Kings
Sydney Kings
SmellingColors
Pro Prospect
And1: 139

Post#231 » by SmellingColors » Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:57 am

simonbampfield wrote:
BoogieTime wrote:

Infuriating

It’s the same thing being played out here time and time again.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app

James seems like a guy the Heat would pick up and make the most of. We can't even find him minutes despite affecting the game positively every time he's on the floor.
bleeds_purple
Analyst
And1: 1,809

Post#232 » by bleeds_purple » Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:03 am

I've been on the James bandwagon from the moment he started getting run with Ariza out. It infuriates me to no end that he's not getting run. It's not even about development. He's just simply better than Ariza, Cojo, or Yogi.
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Post#233 » by City of Trees » Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:10 am

I was looking at the numbers over this 16 game stretch. Kings have lost 12 of their last 16 but the point differential during that period is only -2.4ppg. Things could get so much worse.
BoogieTime
Head Coach

Post#234 » by BoogieTime » Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:27 am

City of Trees wrote:I was looking at the numbers over this 16 game stretch. Kings have lost 12 of their last 16 but the point differential during that period is only -2.4ppg. Things could get so much worse.

It was the easiest stretch of the season, though. Will be interesting how ugly it does or doesn’t get going forward
KF10
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,442

Post#235 » by KF10 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:45 am

The kings have a terrible youth development program for years.

It’s nothing surprising.
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Post#236 » by City of Trees » Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:47 am

BoogieTime wrote:
City of Trees wrote:I was looking at the numbers over this 16 game stretch. Kings have lost 12 of their last 16 but the point differential during that period is only -2.4ppg. Things could get so much worse.

It was the easiest stretch of the season, though. Will be interesting how ugly it does or doesn’t get going forward

for sure.
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Post#237 » by City of Trees » Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:49 am

KF10 wrote:The kings have a terrible youth development program for years.

It’s nothing surprising.

Rico Hines has an amazing reputation. I was hoping he could turn it around. Problem must be larger than one man.
KF10
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,442

Post#238 » by KF10 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:54 am

City of Trees wrote:
KF10 wrote:The kings have a terrible youth development program for years.

It’s nothing surprising.

Rico Hines has an amazing reputation. I was hoping he could turn it around. Problem must be larger than one man.

I’m afraid it’s an institutional issue rather than one or two people.

The Kings don’t draft well or develop their youth right. Even if you want to tank, it’s very discouraging to know that the system in place will hinder a lot of that youth progress.

There is a reason why during the lead up to the draft, there is so many 2nd rounders/undrafted players workouts and not really seeing any 1st round workouts.
codydaze
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 4,431

Post#239 » by codydaze » Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:57 am

I'm also firmly in the camp that Justin James should be getting more minutes. You could see it even in summer league that he has the tools to be a solid role player in this league. He's even more athletic than I initially thought, all he needs is to hit the outside jumper consistently and he can be really good for us.
BoogieTime
Head Coach

Post#240 » by BoogieTime » Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:48 am

Decided to tune into the first section of Napear/Christie to hear the shilling. I heard them purposely try to explain away Doncic rebounding, then attack Jason Anderson’s coverage in the Bee about the franchise being disappointing because of ‘injuries’.

These guys are clear soulless mouthpieces on their radio show. Some other NBA announcers have local shows and I’m not sure they go to their lengths. Do the Kings instruct them on what to feed the public? I know Napear hasn’t had integrity even before Vivek (I can remember him sticking up for the Maloofs and those poor coaches when I listened semi regularly)

Return to Sacramento Kings