Wolves Intensify Interest In Trading For D'Angelo Russell

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 292

Wolves Intensify Interest In Trading For D'Angelo Russell 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:22 pm

The Minnesota Timberwolves have intensified their pursuit of D'Angelo Russell.

Deals have yielded no traction as the Golden State Warriors have been inclined to keep Russell. The Wolves attempted to sign Russell this past offseason and is known to be close friends with Karl-Antony Towns.

Minnesota traded Jeff Teague to the Atlanta Hawks earlier on Thursday.

Via Jon Krawczynski, Shams Charania/The Athletic

DoItALL9
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,272

Re: Wolves Intensify Interest In Trading For D'Angelo Russell 

Post#2 » by DoItALL9 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:25 pm

How many picks would it take to interest GSW assuming they're receiving Covington also?

Sent from my LM-G710 using RealGM mobile app
DoItALL9
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,272

Post#3 » by DoItALL9 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:30 pm

Minny must have some reason to believe D. Russell wants out also.

PDXKnight
RealGM
And1: 2,676

Post#4 » by PDXKnight » Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:59 pm

If they somehow get Wiggins for him I’ll be furious
hyberx
Starter
And1: 384

Post#5 » by hyberx » Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:00 pm

Trading DLo for Covington + extra would be a win/win. Wolves get their young big 3 and Ws get our younger Iggy in Covington + more to fill out the rest of the roster. The extra and upcoming high draft pick can be flipped for another front court star.
hyberx
Starter

Post#6 » by hyberx » Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:04 pm

Oden2 wrote:If they somehow get Wiggins for him I’ll be furious

No thanks we don't need a Wiggins soft like Charmin. I'd rather have the old Harrison Barnes who is cheaper and played much tougher D during his Ws tenure.
kenwood3333
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,195

Post#7 » by kenwood3333 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:10 pm

Inclined to keep Russell? Ya right, more like waiting for the Wolves up their offer.
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,816

Post#8 » by KGdaBom » Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:16 pm

DoItALL9 wrote:How many picks would it take to interest GSW assuming they're receiving Covington also?

ZERO Covington at less than half the money is a nice improvement on D'lo.
alienpick
Starter
And1: 619

Post#9 » by alienpick » Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:47 pm

Oden2 wrote:If they somehow get Wiggins for him I’ll be furious

nobody wants your trash Wiggins
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,574

Post#10 » by shrink » Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:49 pm

Covington is 50 spots higher in overall RPM than Russell.

No one wants to admit just how bad Russell is defensively.
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
BballIntellect
Junior
And1: 151

Post#11 » by BballIntellect » Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:01 am

shrink wrote:Covington is 50 spots higher in overall RPM than Russell.

Then why are the Wolves desperate to get Russell and why is the Wolves front office leaking that Covington is available and multiple teams are interested in him ? The Warriors hold all the leverage here.
shrink
RealGM

Post#12 » by shrink » Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:11 am

BballIntellect wrote:

Then why are the Wolves desperate to get Russell and why is the Wolves front office leaking that Covington is available and multiple teams are interested in him ? The Warriors hold all the leverage here.

I’m sorry to confuse you with actual basketball play.

Let’s go back to the hype.

The article this is quoted from actually says, “Russell is just one of many irons in the fire for the Wolves.” But I suppose you only read headlines.

As for leverage, who knows? MIN is not desperate to win now, and in fact let go of all of its expiring vets last summer to focus on learning a new analytics-based system with younger (worse) players. They have stuck with this system regardless of individual wins or losses. Meanwhile, GSW is holding a PG in a league filled with PG’s, and it will only get worse this summer when a new big flock of rookie PG’s enter the league. There aren’t many teams that are actual buyers. However, 3-and-elite D wings like Covington are a priority for every team.

In the end though, I don’t care about leverage, and I really hope the Wolves don’t take on Russell’s max deal. I have more hope they are looking for a guy like Aaron Holiday, on a much smaller deal. I am just overwhelmed by the people that ignore the numbers, production and contract, and feel Russell has tremendous value.
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
BballIntellect
Junior
And1: 151

Post#13 » by BballIntellect » Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:31 am

shrink wrote:
BballIntellect wrote:

The article this is quoted from actually says, “Russell is just one of many irons in the fire for the Wolves.” But I suppose you only read headlines.

As for leverage, who knows? MIN is not desperate to win now, and in fact let go of all of its expiring vets last summer to focus on learning a new analytics-based system with younger (worse) players. They have stuck with this system regardless of individual wins or losses. Meanwhile, GSW is holding a PG in a league filled with PG’s, and it will only get worse this summer when a new big flock of rookie PG’s enter the league. There aren’t many teams that are actual buyers. However, 3-and-elite D wings like Covington are a priority for every team.

In the end though, I don’t care about leverage, and I really hope the Wolves don’t take on Russell’s max deal. I have more hope they are looking for a guy like Aaron Holiday, on a much smaller deal. I am just overwhelmed by the people that ignore the numbers, production and contract, and feel Russell has tremendous value.

The Warriors are in no rush to trade Russell. The article says the Wolves are the ones making the calls about Russell. Secondly, what did Covington's RPM do for him when Russell dropped 50 on the Wolves earlier this year ? Analytics are a great tool to have but you can't rely solely on it.

Russell is a much better player than Covington. He's shown that he can lead a rebuilding team to the playoffs last year. He can be a franchise cornerstone when put with the right pieces while Covington is a glue guy.

Covington is a better fit on the Warriors than Russell but the talent gap and age difference is so significant between the two that the Wolves would have to throw in some picks for the Warriors to consider it.
hyberx
Starter

Post#14 » by hyberx » Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:27 am

Here is the prime example of someone just throw out numbers and don't know anything about it lol.

RPM has to do with who the player is playing with on the court. DLo this season has nobody to play with other than a bunch of rooks, 2way contract players, and a DGreen who was out several games. Reality is DLo is a legit max player, 23-year-old starting star PG who led a young Nets team to the playoff. RoCo, as great as a D player he is, will never be able to lead a team by himself like that.

Any suggestion of trading RoCo straight up with throw-in pieces for DLo is just silly forum talk.
shrink
RealGM

Post#15 » by shrink » Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:27 am

BballIntellect wrote:
shrink wrote:
BballIntellect wrote:

The Warriors are in no rush to trade Russell. The article says the Wolves are the ones making the calls about Russell. Secondly, what did Covington's RPM do for him when Russell dropped 50 on the Wolves earlier this year ? Analytics are a great tool to have but you can't rely solely on it.

Russell is a much better player than Covington. He's shown that he can lead a rebuilding team to the playoffs last year. He can be a franchise cornerstone when put with the right pieces while Covington is a glue guy.

Covington is a better fit on the Warriors than Russell but the talent gap and age difference is so significant between the two that the Wolves would have to throw in some picks for the Warriors to consider it.

You mean 50 points .. in a loss?

And if he can lead a rebuilding team to the playoffs .. is he just “choosing” not to do it this year?

Russell was an All Star replacement .. once. Do you see him repeating that this year as well, let alone be a “Franchise cornerstone!”

The overall production for many years, salary difference, and position scarcity is a pretty big gap as well.

Oh well, you’re certainly welcome to like your guy, I am not a fan, especially on that max deal. Good luck this season.
BigTex
Senior
And1: 79

Post#16 » by BigTex » Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:07 am

BballIntellect wrote:

Word is that the Mavs are genuinely interested in Covington. Not sure that there's a match in terms of trade assets, but Covington fits like a glove in the Mavs system.
rasta_marley
Starter
And1: 509

Post#17 » by rasta_marley » Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:29 am

BballIntellect wrote:

Wolves history of the choices they've made in the last 5 years isnt great, so this wouldnt surprise me.
Heej wrote:And tbh I'm not entirely convinced MJ wasn't just the 90s version of KD.

:lol:
gpoon
Pro Prospect
And1: 717

Post#18 » by gpoon » Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:38 pm

Are we just going to ignore the fact that Dlo > Kyrie?
Batsy
Sophomore
And1: 30

Post#19 » by Batsy » Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:42 pm

gpoon wrote:Are we just going to ignore the fact that Dlo > Kyrie?

As a teammate? Yes. Player? No.
12footrim
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,316

Post#20 » by 12footrim » Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:46 pm

Batsy wrote:
gpoon wrote:Are we just going to ignore the fact that Dlo > Kyrie?

As a teammate? Yes. Player? No.

Swaggy P says no he's a rat.
Where I write

The Hoops Resource

Return to Wiretap Discussion