ImageImageImage

Victory Cigar (28-14)!!!! Celtics 139 x 107 Lakers: LA Who???

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

WHO **** SMOKES THE CIGAR TONIGHT?

TATUM
43%
HAYWARD
2%
KEMBA
6%
JAYLEN
6%
THEIS
1%
SMART
No votes
KANTER
34%
POIRIER
2%
SEMI
No votes
OTHER/TEAM
6%

Total votes: 126

djFan71
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,232

Re: Victory Cigar (28-14)!!!! Celtics 139 x 107 Lakers: LA Who??? 

Post#101 » by djFan71 » Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:19 am

Darth Celtic wrote:
zoyathedestroya wrote:The internet wins yet again. Should've muted Chris Webber though.

Read on Twitter

Iduno, after the dunk Chris Webber got bonus points from me for bringing up the Charlie Murphy Prince skit and dunking and falling in slow motion like Prince. It was the best thing he has ever said.

He'll never top this one:
Ill News
General Manager
And1: 16,306

Post#102 » by Ill News » Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:21 am

Jaqua92 wrote:I think we should just be mindful, and not act as we accuse every opposing fan of. We didn't win a title. It means little in the grand scheme of things.

That said, destroying LeBron is beyond fun. And this was a moral/city victory here.

This team shows flashes of being a team that can give the Bucks a competitive series/make some noise in the ECF. Just need to keep it consistent

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Thanks for speaking truth.

What's also true is that any win against the Lakers is enough to power me for WEEKS. :P
Taget
Analyst
And1: 2,628

Post#103 » by Taget » Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:15 am

There are only two things you can ask for as Celtics fans. One that the Celtics win. And two that the Lakers lose. This is a win-win.
[quote:545636310b="Darth Celtic"]man, these refs need to stop giving us the benefit of the doubt and start screwing us.[/quote]

BRUNiNHO91
RealGM
And1: 22,109

Post#104 » by BRUNiNHO91 » Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:45 am

Bro..my soul needed this win so bad. I was so far down shambles land I feared one L to the Lakers would just lock me in there forever.

Been asking for a good Tatum game against an elite team, JB to score well against a top defensive team, Hayward to show life, a better shooting display as a team and Brad to be better..we saw all these things yesterday. Wonderful win..that's the team we expect to see more often.
A new dawn will rise in Boston. ‎#StayLoyal THANK YOU TRUTH!
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 89,638

Post#105 » by zoyathedestroya » Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:16 am

Rewatching the game. Only five minutes in, Gordo's teammates have already missed him open three times already on cuts or from beyond the arc. This happens on the regular. And people complain why Hayward doesn't score more or why our offense isn't always humming. Love the aggression of the Jays but their aggression is 90% channeled to score. As they gain experience, hopefully their vision, decision-making, and passing improve.
Read on Twitter

Hayward was again open on Jaylen's drive. BUT in this case, I would prefer the dunk attempt on Lebron even if it didn't go in.
Shak_Celts
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 58,056

Post#106 » by Shak_Celts » Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:38 am

zoyathedestroya wrote:Rewatching the game. Only five minutes in, Gordo's teammates have already missed him open three times already on cuts or from beyond the arc. This happens on the regular. And people complain why Hayward doesn't score more or why our offense isn't always humming. Love the aggression of the Jays but their aggression is 90% channeled to score. As they gain experience, hopefully their vision, decision-making, and passing improve.
Read on Twitter

Hayward was again open on Jaylen's drive. BUT in this case, I would prefer the dunk attempt on Lebron even if it didn't go in.

hay was open but green is on jb's side with his hand waving in that passing lane, that means jb would have had to send the ball high or a bounce pass but LBJ was coming that way, all he would have to do is jump and go for that pass or put his hand or foot out if it was a bounce to hay. hayward didn't really come open until jb was already in flight or at least into that move/mindset. hayward was also drifting back towards the 3pt line when jb went into liftoff, he changed course to go for the possible rb. right passes also have to take into account the guy who is sending it, IMO the pass would have been tougher for jb than the option he chose. I think jb made the right decision but CBS is smarter than me when it comes to bball so I'm probably wrong.
NAME ON THE FRONT OF THE JERSEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!(!)
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 89,638

Post#107 » by zoyathedestroya » Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:59 am

Shak_Celts wrote:
zoyathedestroya wrote:Rewatching the game. Only five minutes in, Gordo's teammates have already missed him open three times already on cuts or from beyond the arc. This happens on the regular. And people complain why Hayward doesn't score more or why our offense isn't always humming. Love the aggression of the Jays but their aggression is 90% channeled to score. As they gain experience, hopefully their vision, decision-making, and passing improve.
Read on Twitter

hay was open but green is on jb's side with his hand waving in that passing lane, that means jb would have had to send the ball high or a bounce pass but LBJ was coming that way, all he would have to do is jump and go for that pass or put his hand or foot out if it was a bounce to hay. hayward didn't really come open until jb was already in flight or at least into that move/mindset. hayward was also drifting back towards the 3pt line when jb went into liftoff, he changed course to go for the possible rb. right passes also have to take into account the guy who is sending it, IMO the pass would have been tougher for jb than the option he chose. I think jb made the right decision but CBS is smarter than me when it comes to bball so I'm probably wrong.

Yep, it would have to be a drop pass midair. Since Jaylen had it measured, he went for the dunk. Or if he continued with his dribble, a wraparound pass, but might have given a chance for Lebron or Green to recover. Not really critiquing this particular play, but ability of the Jays to make reads in general.
RB34
RealGM
And1: 14,564

Post#108 » by RB34 » Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:45 am

We Beat LA! Just like I asked. Great win to hopefully put that little sour patch behind us.

Bias commentary. Flagrant out of thin air and the T on JB made the win all that much sweeter!
Triple7
RealGM
And1: 8,402

Post#109 » by Triple7 » Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:49 am

I’m just glad Stevens finally made the rotations tight. He’s not so stubborn after all. :D
Shak_Celts
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 58,056

Post#110 » by Shak_Celts » Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:57 am

zoyathedestroya wrote:
Shak_Celts wrote:
Read on Twitter

Yep, it would have to be a drop pass midair. Since Jaylen had it measured, he went for the dunk. Or if he continued with his dribble, a wraparound pass, but might have given a chance for Lebron or Green to recover. Not really critiquing this particular play, but ability of the Jays to make reads in general.

Oh yeah, for sure, I agree with you on their decision making. It's why I said we needed to take into account the passer.

I think both are much better at passing/decision making over just last season, even though I don't think their assists numbers have changed much if at all. I think both could average anywhere from 4-6 in a season or 2 though, they likely won't be amazing at it but more consistent at not always thinking they have to score. They already have a few higher assisting games this season, but they just aren't consistently doing it. They are also young guys who want to do what shines in the nba and that's score, very few stars who aren't PGs care about assists. Heck, even PGs don't care these days and they don't get many more than JB and JT, on average they probably only dish out 2-3 more than the Jays (spitballing 2/3 vs 5/6 ish). IIRC KL is just now at 5 per and it's a career mark for him in his 8th season or so. I think the Jays have it in them to be much better at it than they are but really they are right in line with most of their peers. The league leading assist guys are today's SF/PF, guys like LBJ, Luka, Harden (might be considered a 2?).
NAME ON THE FRONT OF THE JERSEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!(!)
threrf23
RealGM
And1: 4,395

Post#111 » by threrf23 » Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:11 am

Tatum & Kanter deserve their votes. I voted Kemba for his leadership going back to the Bucks game. He humbly put his heart soul and knee into trying to beat the Bucks, and when his teammates let him down he didn't get self righteous about it, didn't act like he had played a perfect game, didn't get on a power trip, etc. He just led by example and his teammates weren't gonna let him down tonight.

For the record, I'm okay with bad losses in the regular season as long as we win meaningful games and have our **** together in the playoffs. However, some of the recent efforts at home in front of paying fans were just pathetic, and tonight still doesn't prove that our guys aren't just a bunch of front runners. Trap game for the Lakers and while they started out 8-0, they never led by more than 8. Let's go on a little run leading up to the all star break? We need to build better confidence.
KGboss
RealGM
And1: 10,097

Post#112 » by KGboss » Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:43 am

threrf23 wrote:Tatum & Kanter deserve their votes. I voted Kemba for his leadership going back to the Bucks game. He humbly put his heart soul and knee into trying to beat the Bucks, and when his teammates let him down he didn't get self righteous about it, didn't act like he had played a perfect game, didn't get on a power trip, etc. He just led by example and his teammates weren't gonna let him down tonight.

For the record, I'm okay with bad losses in the regular season as long as we win meaningful games and have our **** together in the playoffs. However, some of the recent efforts at home in front of paying fans were just pathetic, and tonight still doesn't prove that our guys aren't just a bunch of front runners. Trap game for the Lakers and while they started out 8-0, they never led by more than 8. Let's go on a little run leading up to the all star break? We need to build better confidence.
Unless you're traveling back to back I dont see this as a trap game. They had a day off in between and AD was coming back after almost 2 weeks off.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
big-shot-ROB
Sixth Man
And1: 1,638

Post#113 » by big-shot-ROB » Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:53 am

Shak_Celts wrote:every starter made a run to help us throughout the game, this was the biggest TEAM game you'll see and still it isn't voted that way. it's not that egregious but damn, this was our best TEAM win/best game from start to finish, hands down!

the defense that was played tonight was SUPERB. theis had the toughest matchup against AD and held his own. gordan hayward had the 2nd toughest matchup in lbj and held his own (could be tougher because lbj can beat you many ways), he and jb got us going early when we started slow (jb got to the line and gh scored and got into the paint). kanter dominated their bigs on the board and scored 18 during our great run, he also played solid D which will probably go under the radar (it shouldn't considering he's turrible a lot). tatum shot great and defended well. jb didn't shoot well but he defended very well and got to the line 9 times (had a very good quiet game, even before the garbage time mini-run). smart was on their ass on D too, he took good shots, his only hiccups were a few mins in the 3rd and 4th. kemba was EXCELLENT on offense, his penetration destroyed the lakers d and his d wasn't bad which helped our team D not fall apart! Everyone had hands high and in passing lanes! every player hustled their ass off tonight. the team D just made me smile ALL GAME, it was as if we were their evil twins who mirrored everything they did! That was total defensive domination and it definitely spurred the good feelings for our offense to go off! it was truly beautiful basketball by the TEAM.

I came into the thread thinking: damm, the team option has to win this time right? But nope. I'm voting team as you do always!
Robert Horry is better than MJ, because everybody knows that 7>6.
5InOfLouisville
Senior
And1: 818

Post#114 » by 5InOfLouisville » Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:54 am

Health and consistency are key. I continue to believe that we have a high ceiling when everyone is clicking. But our most important players are inconsistent. JB and JT are young and on the come-up, but still figuring out how to do it night in and night out. I think this is normal, but also makes an extended playoff run a bit difficult. This isn't a young man's league.

Kemba has likely been our best player, but he is probably the most variable all-star in the league in his performance from game-to-game.

I do believe that some of that is him allowing everyone else to figure out their games, taking the game as it comes to him, and trying to be a leader by letting other players grow. Some of it is just straight up streakiness.

Almost every team is going to have poor stretches during an 82-game season with an arduous schedule. We haven't been healthy, and we aren't deep. We have less room for error without our best players than other teams.

I simply hope that we can continue to grow as a team, play hard consistently, and remain as healthy as possible. If everyone is clicking at the end of the season when we hit the playoffs healthy, we may not be a favorite, but we certainly have a puncher's chance of making some noise in the postseason.

Either way, this was a fun game to watch. For some reason, I enjoy watching wins in which we play well much more than losses in which we play poorly.

JT deserves the smoke, but Kemba was close, shout out to Enes, and really the whole team was solid.
KGboss wrote:Brown doesnt need you to clean his jock strap for him

Captain_Caveman wrote:You are perfectly welcome to never read or respond to my posts ever again. I don't find you particularly knowledgeable or insightful from anything I have read to date.

:cry:
exculpatory
RealGM
And1: 11,019

Post#115 » by exculpatory » Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:08 pm

5InOfLouisville wrote:Health and consistency are key. I continue to believe that we have a high ceiling when everyone is clicking. But our most important players are inconsistent. JB and JT are young and on the come-up, but still figuring out how to do it night in and night out. I think this is normal, but also makes an extended playoff run a bit difficult. This isn't a young man's league.

Kemba has likely been our best player, but he is probably the most variable all-star in the league in his performance from game-to-game.

I do believe that some of that is him allowing everyone else to figure out their games, taking the game as it comes to him, and trying to be a leader by letting other players grow. Some of it is just straight up streakiness.

Almost every team is going to have poor stretches during an 82-game season with an arduous schedule. We haven't been healthy, and we aren't deep. We have less room for error without our best players than other teams.

I simply hope that we can continue to grow as a team, play hard consistently, and remain as healthy as possible. If everyone is clicking at the end of the season when we hit the playoffs healthy, we may not be a favorite, but we certainly have a puncher's chance of making some noise in the postseason.

Either way, this was a fun game to watch. For some reason, I enjoy watching wins in which we play well much more than losses in which we play poorly.

JT deserves the smoke, but Kemba was close, shout out to Enes, and really the whole team was solid.

Beautiful write up.
SamIam 2010: Truth's ability to play so incredibly efficiently is so UNDERAPPRECIATED. Bballcool 2012: Amazing how great Pierce has been for so long. Continues to defy age! KG 2013: P is original Celtic. Wherever he goes, we go. This is The Truth's house.
FlatearthZorro
RealGM
And1: 11,904

Post#116 » by FlatearthZorro » Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:46 pm

zoyathedestroya wrote:Full disclosure: I was the one who voted for Theis hehe. Already knew Tatum was gonna win it.

Read on Twitter

Theis has had a super underrated season. Last 1-2 weeks he's been even better. He's been a pleasant surprise.

As I wrote before it's quietly been an injury plagued season for us once again. Hopefully we can remain healthy. I feel as if we're able to compete with anyone when our starting 5, Smart and Kanter are healthy. Wouldn't have been bad if we had another shooter off the bench. Would love for Brad to give Waters a chance to play alongside Smart. I feel the kid is more ready to play than some of the lads that are playing right now.
Good assessment:

PLO wrote:Tatum played OK - took advantage of a few mismatches - decent on the defensive end. He is what we thought he was going into the season - a technically very proficient player operating close to his career ceiling as a rookie.
greenroom31
General Manager
And1: 11,410

Post#117 » by greenroom31 » Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:52 pm

Tatum, honorable mention to Kanter for first half dominance and JB for the humiliating dunk over LeBron
FlatearthZorro
RealGM
And1: 11,904

Post#118 » by FlatearthZorro » Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:55 pm

greenroom31 wrote:Tatum, honorable mention to Kanter for first half dominance and JB for the humiliating dunk over LeBron

Kanter legit toyed with the likes of Howard, Davis and McGee... Kinda crazy.
Good assessment:

PLO wrote:Tatum played OK - took advantage of a few mismatches - decent on the defensive end. He is what we thought he was going into the season - a technically very proficient player operating close to his career ceiling as a rookie.
Homerclease
RealGM
And1: 31,362

Post#119 » by Homerclease » Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:55 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=21
sam_I_am
RealGM
And1: 8,973

Post#120 » by sam_I_am » Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:03 pm

exculpatory wrote:
5InOfLouisville wrote:Health and consistency are key. I continue to believe that we have a high ceiling when everyone is clicking. But our most important players are inconsistent. JB and JT are young and on the come-up, but still figuring out how to do it night in and night out. I think this is normal, but also makes an extended playoff run a bit difficult. This isn't a young man's league.

Beautiful write up.

I think one reason for inconsistent play is that none of our star players are dominant. Embiid, Giannis, Lebron .... those guys have the ability to physically dominate teams. Even Ben Simmons with his lack of a shot can be unstoppable going to the rim and with his vision and passing. Our guys have to make shots to be good and some days they rattle in and out. Our guys also have a big range between when they are good and bad. When Hayward is on he looks like a borderline all star but then other days he looks soft and overmatched. We have to hope that health, maturity and focus will lead to improved consistency.

The key for this team remains the defense and during this streak the effort just wasn’t always what it needs to be. You look at the Milwaukee roster, you have to wonder how that team can be so dominant every night even when Giannis is on the bench. For some reason the Celtics with a much more talented 2-5 don’t have that kind of chemistry to make it work every night.

Return to Boston Celtics