ImageImageImage

Victory Cigar (28-14)!!!! Celtics 139 x 107 Lakers: LA Who???

Moderators: bisme37, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob

WHO **** SMOKES THE CIGAR TONIGHT?

TATUM
43%
HAYWARD
2%
KEMBA
6%
JAYLEN
6%
THEIS
1%
SMART
No votes
KANTER
34%
POIRIER
2%
SEMI
No votes
OTHER/TEAM
6%

Total votes: 126

FlatearthZorro
RealGM
And1: 11,886

Re: Victory Cigar (28-14)!!!! Celtics 139 x 107 Lakers: LA Who??? 

Post#121 » by FlatearthZorro » Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:04 pm

Other random notes:

- Poirier actually has a shooting touch.
- Langford's dribbling abilities and finishing around the rim are pretty freaking great for a 19 year old.
- Jarvonte Green's ferocity when he plays b-ball is something to behold.
- B Wannamaker is still solid as a rock.
Good assessment:

PLO wrote:Tatum played OK - took advantage of a few mismatches - decent on the defensive end. He is what we thought he was going into the season - a technically very proficient player operating close to his career ceiling as a rookie.
5InOfLouisville
Senior
And1: 818

Post#122 » by 5InOfLouisville » Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:43 pm

sam_I_am wrote:
exculpatory wrote:
5InOfLouisville wrote:Health and consistency are key. I continue to believe that we have a high ceiling when everyone is clicking. But our most important players are inconsistent. JB and JT are young and on the come-up, but still figuring out how to do it night in and night out. I think this is normal, but also makes an extended playoff run a bit difficult. This isn't a young man's league.

Kemba has likely been our best player, but he is probably the most variable all-star in the league in his performance from game-to-game.

I do believe that some of that is him allowing everyone else to figure out their games, taking the game as it comes to him, and trying to be a leader by letting other players grow. Some of it is just straight up streakiness.

Almost every team is going to have poor stretches during an 82-game season with an arduous schedule. We haven't been healthy, and we aren't deep. We have less room for error without our best players than other teams.

I simply hope that we can continue to grow as a team, play hard consistently, and remain as healthy as possible. If everyone is clicking at the end of the season when we hit the playoffs healthy, we may not be a favorite, but we certainly have a puncher's chance of making some noise in the postseason.

Either way, this was a fun game to watch. For some reason, I enjoy watching wins in which we play well much more than losses in which we play poorly.

JT deserves the smoke, but Kemba was close, shout out to Enes, and really the whole team was solid.

Beautiful write up.

I think one reason for inconsistent play is that none of our star players are dominant. Embiid, Giannis, Lebron .... those guys have the ability to physically dominate teams. Even Ben Simmons with his lack of a shot can be unstoppable going to the rim and with his vision and passing. Our guys have to make shots to be good and some days they rattle in and out. Our guys also have a big range between when they are good and bad. When Hayward is on he looks like a borderline all star but then other days he looks soft and overmatched. We have to hope that health, maturity and focus will lead to improved consistency.

The key for this team remains the defense and during this streak the effort just wasn’t always what it needs to be. You look at the Milwaukee roster, you have to wonder how that team can be so dominant every night even when Giannis is on the bench. For some reason the Celtics with a much more talented 2-5 don’t have that kind of chemistry to make it work every night.

I agree re: defensive intensity. I think that is the engine that makes this team go. When we give max effort on d, it leads to better offensive opportunities against a non-set d and just a better overall energy in general.

I also agree that we do not have anyone dominant, but even non-dominant players can improve their consistency and effort on a night-to-night basis. That's what separates "nice" players from stars. I am hoping that JB and JT are on that trajectory, and am high on their chances.

GH is in a tough spot. I think the foot is going to linger, but i think he can ultimately be an important piece of this offense. Guys need to check his cuts though. He seems to get missed a lot. I've been more worried about his defensive rotations lately. He has been overhelping and not recovering to the shooter. Maybe he's a step slow, but, i'd like to see him get that in check. I still generally love the way he keeps the ball moving on O though.
KGboss wrote:Brown doesnt need you to clean his jock strap for him

Captain_Caveman wrote:You are perfectly welcome to never read or respond to my posts ever again. I don't find you particularly knowledgeable or insightful from anything I have read to date.

:cry:
3D Chess
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,728

Post#123 » by 3D Chess » Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:21 pm

Listen, if someone with the requisite skills makes a "game blouses" gif out of Jaylen's dunk and hang, I will definitely make it my avi.

Just sayin'.
Celticfan_N_FL
Analyst
And1: 1,019

Post#124 » by Celticfan_N_FL » Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:27 pm

I thought Jaylen gave the team energy early in the game while Tatum led with his efficient night however Kanter should get the VC. He was the best big on the floor and could not be stopped.
Jingles
Sixth Man
And1: 2,190

Post#125 » by Jingles » Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:04 pm

I woke up still thinking about Romeo's two offensive possessions. I may have a problem.
ddb
RealGM
And1: 11,700

Post#126 » by ddb » Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:05 pm

now THAT was beautiful basketball! The Celtics made LeBron look old. Best performance of the season. They put their foot on the gas and never took it off. Well done all around.
ddb
RealGM
And1: 11,700

Post#127 » by ddb » Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:08 pm

Jingles wrote:I woke up still thinking about Romeo's two offensive possessions. I may have a problem.

Romeo is going to be a rotation player next season. The kid plays with a natural pace that is rare in players his age.
Jef
Sixth Man
And1: 3,405

Post#128 » by Jef » Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:14 pm

Great win guys. We puked our way past Atlanta and you guys manhandled the ******* Lakers. Let's keep the 2-3, whatever order, mmkay? Need to finally have a playoff series together.
Norman Powell, after Game 5 Pacers dunk: "That's Norman Powell!"
TheMartian
General Manager
And1: 6,225

Post#129 » by TheMartian » Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:32 pm

zoyathedestroya wrote:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Or they got tired of reading through our AoS threads.

I'm leaning towards your theory, Zoya. Those AoS threads were harsh.
Half-Full
Bench Warmer
And1: 2,120

Post#130 » by Half-Full » Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:05 pm

I still have a bad taste in my mouth from our recent spate of losses, but beating the Fakers by 32 points sure has done a lot to remove it. All in all, a good team effort, making it too hard to award the cigar to any individual. Tatum and Kanter both had good games, but then so did Kemba, Gordon, and Jaylen. For a change, our three point shooting was on, and despite the height advantage they had, we pulled down 12 more rebounds than they did. I was impressed by Vincent Poirier who had 3 rebounds, 5 points, 2 blocks, and an assist in 6 minutes (+9 rating). Yes, they were garbage time minutes, but still. Anyway, here's hoping that we have snapped out of our ugly funk.
malachiii
Ballboy
And1: 21

Post#131 » by malachiii » Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:24 pm

Mr_Mojo_Risin wrote:Trade Hayward.

Trade Kanter.

Fire CBS.

EDIT - Oh and trade Smart.

awesome post!!! lol so tired of hearing we need to trade anyone.
TheMartian
General Manager
And1: 6,225

Post#132 » by TheMartian » Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:42 pm

One thing noteworthy: the Celtics defended the 3-ball well against the Lakers. Funny how that can translate to wins on a league now dependent on the 3-ball, no?
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 87,928

Post#133 » by zoyathedestroya » Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:12 pm

mzepol wrote:One thing noteworthy: the Celtics defended the 3-ball well against the Lakers. Funny how that can translate to wins on a league now dependent on the 3-ball, no?

Celtics are 2-8 when they've allowed the opponent to shoot at least 40% from 3.

Opponent 3P% in Celtics wins: 32.8%
Opponent 3P% in Celtics losses: 38.5%

Lakers don't have much reliable shooting outside of Danny Green and maybe KCP. We gave up less wide open threes than our average, but Lakers also didn't hit too many of their open shots.

Teams with multiple three-point threats and also an inside presence give us problems.
Brett43
Junior
And1: 167

Post#134 » by Brett43 » Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:21 am

After a string of disheartening losses, I picked this game to skip. I didn't want to see us lose against Lebron. :noway:
tlee324
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,352

Post#135 » by tlee324 » Mon May 3, 2021 2:54 am

Captain_Caveman wrote:Going Tatum for the 2nd quarter explosion, but Kemba and Kanter right there. Hayward also had a good game.

NVM: had already hit Kemba. I'm OK with that. He's got a painfully low number of VCs for being our best player this year.

Just a reminder. Didn't take me long to find it lol.
Captain_Caveman
RealGM
And1: 38,345

Post#136 » by Captain_Caveman » Mon May 3, 2021 4:54 am

tlee324 wrote:
Captain_Caveman wrote:Going Tatum for the 2nd quarter explosion, but Kemba and Kanter right there. Hayward also had a good game.

NVM: had already hit Kemba. I'm OK with that. He's got a painfully low number of VCs for being our best player this year.

Around the All-Star Game that he started in, right?

Wasn't by the end of the year.
tlee324
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,352

Post#137 » by tlee324 » Mon May 3, 2021 5:03 am

Captain_Caveman wrote:
tlee324 wrote:

This was January 2020, he started to report knee problems again right before all this in February, getting his knee drained and later getting stem cell injections, etc..

The point is you did call him the best player on the team at one point before the knee flare ups, and I agreed with you, lol.

I'm also in agreement with what the team is doing with him; we need the best version of him we can get for the playoffs.
Captain_Caveman
RealGM
And1: 38,345

Post#138 » by Captain_Caveman » Mon May 3, 2021 5:25 am

tlee324 wrote:
Captain_Caveman wrote:
tlee324 wrote:

This was January 2020, he started to report knee problems again right before all this in February, getting his knee drained and later getting stem cell injections, etc..

The point is you did call him the best player on the team at one point before the knee flare ups, and I agreed with you, lol.

I'm also in agreement with what the team is doing with him; we need the best version of him we can get for the playoffs.

Answered in the other thread, but the actual quote from midseason last year was he's "been our best player this season."

Return to Boston Celtics