NBPA Recently Gave Delonte West Financial Support, Celtics Previously Hired Him As Scout

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 292

NBPA Recently Gave Delonte West Financial Support, Celtics Previously Hired Him As Scout 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:52 am

The perilous welfare of Delonte West came to light on Monday with video of him being kicked and punched while shirtless on a highway in Maryland surfacing on social media.

West has most recently worked in construction with his brother, Dmitri, and has struggled to find consistent work, one person close to the former player said. He lives in Maryland with his mother, Delphina Addison.

“Really sad,” one of West’s longtime confidants said. “Your heart breaks for him.”

“We all love Delonte, and we don’t want to see him like this,” offered another. “We want him to figure his life out.”

West was diagnosed with bipolar disorder in 2010.

Professional basketball gave structure to West's life and that has gone by the wayside since he left the game.

The NBPA helped facilitate his residence change from Dallas to Maryland in recent years and extensively supported him financially, as recently as this month, sources tell Shams Charania of The Athletic

Danny Ainge and the Boston Celtics hired him as a scout to attend games on the East Coast, but results have been mixed due to inconsistent attendance. 

Via Shams Charania/The Athletic

Cassius
RealGM
And1: 3,962

Re: NBPA Recently Gave Delonte West Financial Support, Celtics Previously Hired Him As Scout 

Post#2 » by Cassius » Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:04 am

So sad... Glad to see the NBPA and Boston doing what they can. The man might need to leave the country to completely change his environment.
I_Like_Dirt wrote:The whole comparison to Kevin McHale is ridiculously close, imo... And that's without more hilarious aspects of the comparison, e.g. if Wally Sczerbiak were 7 feet tall with the slower reflexes that came with the additional height, he'd be Bargnani.
donemilio21
Analyst
And1: 773

Re: NBPA Recently Gave Delonte West Financial Support, Celtics Previously Hired Him As Scout 

Post#3 » by donemilio21 » Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:05 am

It is hard to imagine someone would fall into this situation after making $16m playing basketball. Nothing is guaranteed in life.
IAMZOOTED2
Analyst
And1: 2,414

Post#4 » by IAMZOOTED2 » Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:17 am

We usually only hear negative ish about the Celtics' top brass's lack of compassion, but this is lowkey big of them. Still hate their green hearts, but relieved to know they tried to make a difference in West's life/ direction
A single sharp pepper is better than a basketful of gourds.
WindyCityBorn
RealGM
And1: 10,777

Post#5 » by WindyCityBorn » Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:28 am

donemilio21 wrote:It is hard to imagine someone would fall into this situation after making $16m playing basketball. Nothing is guaranteed in life.

Money does not cure mental illness.
MitchB3
Starter
And1: 144

Post#6 » by MitchB3 » Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:30 am

What I'm reading here is "we offered to help but he didn't want it." This is truly sad because they could have done more but to help, it's not about offering him money or giving him a job it first starts with getting him help and having him check into a mental health program to help him.
23artest23
Head Coach
And1: 193

Post#7 » by 23artest23 » Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:32 am

donemilio21 wrote:It is hard to imagine someone would fall into this situation after making $16m playing basketball. Nothing is guaranteed in life.

With a good understanding or experience with mental illness and drug addiction, it doesn't seem hard to imagine. I am amazed he kept it together long enough to even play in the NBA letalone actually have a career.
IWishIWasHarden
Sixth Man
And1: 159

Post#8 » by IWishIWasHarden » Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:51 am

I don't know how bright you have to be to buy a home outright and keep some of the rest of your money to live off. This should be as straightforward as it gets.

Ego likely gets in the way of some people.

I guess he thought he would have a longer career than he did.
Badbobby
Sophomore
And1: 187

Post#9 » by Badbobby » Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:47 am

IWishIWasHarden wrote:I don't know how bright you have to be to buy a home outright and keep some of the rest of your money to live off. This should be as straightforward as it gets.

Ego likely gets in the way of some people.

I guess he thought he would have a longer career than he did.

I think in this case it’s clear that mental illness has the W over straightforwardness
Metallikid
RealGM
And1: 9,962

Post#10 » by Metallikid » Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:00 am

This is BS he was a professional athlete I don't think they should get to be at the front of the line for NBA related jobs rather than the coach or trainer or scout or assistant who works his ass off just to get a chance to break into the NBA.

Some people are going to mismanage their money regardless.
Killboard
Analyst
And1: 943

Post#11 » by Killboard » Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:21 pm

He should get to play again in a bad league overseas. Start again without bad influences and do what you love most all day long.
mplsfonz23
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,310

Post#12 » by mplsfonz23 » Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:43 pm

Not sure how to feel. One side wants to be compassionate about his mental illness, but another side can't seem to understand how he could have so much support and still throw it away. I mean, he had to have been a functioning person at some point. Maybe those close to him should have protected him more instead of help him spend his money.

Hope he can get the help he needs now.
Morse Code
Head Coach
And1: 8,434

Post#13 » by Morse Code » Wed Jan 22, 2020 3:35 pm

You know what amplifies mental illness? Smoking crack instead of taking prescribed medication.
strokerace
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,168

Post#14 » by strokerace » Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:08 pm

Wow. Some really ignorant posts here. Leaving the country and giving someone money doesn't cure mental health problems and resulting drug abuse. Having made millions of dollars previously doesn't matter either.
Ksrbot
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#15 » by Ksrbot » Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:29 pm

Metallikid wrote:This is BS he was a professional athlete I don't think they should get to be at the front of the line for NBA related jobs rather than the coach or trainer or scout or assistant who works his ass off just to get a chance to break into the NBA.

Cry me a river. This is real life. And it works like this everywhere. Don't be naive.
23artest23
Head Coach
And1: 193

Post#16 » by 23artest23 » Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:35 pm

strokerace wrote:Wow. Some really ignorant posts here. Leaving the country and giving someone money doesn't cure mental health problems and resulting drug abuse. Having made millions of dollars previously doesn't matter either.

110% agree. It never ceases to amaze me how ignorant a large portion of the population is in regards to mental illness and addiction when you literally can't leave the house without encountering it in some form or fashion. The services and help related to both are an absolute joke here in the USA. The main service provided to people suffering from either is simply a trip to jail. It is easier to just live with your problems than it is to get help here.
Metallikid
RealGM
And1: 9,962

Post#17 » by Metallikid » Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:48 pm

Ksrbot wrote:
Metallikid wrote:This is BS he was a professional athlete I don't think they should get to be at the front of the line for NBA related jobs rather than the coach or trainer or scout or assistant who works his ass off just to get a chance to break into the NBA.

Cry me a river. This is real life. And it works like this everywhere. Don't be naive.

You cry me a river. I try to make society into one that I want to live in. The NBA should change their stance on helping former players beyond the scope of the NBPA retired player agreement. We need more Erik Spoelstras and Nick Nurses in the league, not less.
Ksrbot
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#18 » by Ksrbot » Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:53 pm

Metallikid wrote:
Ksrbot wrote:

You cry me a river. I try to make society into one that I want to live in. The NBA should change their stance on helping former players beyond the scope of the NBPA retired player agreement. We need more Erik Spoelstras and Nick Nurses in the league, not less.

Okay. Be naive? Lol.
SO_MONEY
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,021

Post#19 » by SO_MONEY » Wed Jan 22, 2020 5:15 pm

Maybe. But I can guarantee an untreated bi polar person will mismanage money. That said financial support, giving him a job is not what he needs. Same reason you don't give a ton of money to an 8 year old. He needs help from medical professionals. He needs to get his underlying problems dealt with before the rest would even help him.
Pickled Prunes
Head Coach
And1: 1,204

Post#20 » by Pickled Prunes » Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:00 am

It says a lot about us humans when we want to judge a person (pro or con) based on an aggregated story on RealGM. His personal issues, who decides to help him and how they decide to help him are none of my business.

Return to Wiretap Discussion